Thread: Monster vulns and weapon damage types

Default Monster vulns and weapon damage types

My main is a Scout who uses a longbow. I was wondering the other night as I was fighting bronze/sandstone golems if the longbow does only piercing damage and if there were other damage types available for a longbow (i.e. bludgeon damage), or would a bow always do only piercing damage. And on the subject of damage, are monsters more vulnerable to certain types of damage e.g. would a bronze golem take more physical damage from a mace than from a sword or axe, assuming that the mace had the same damage range as a sword or axe.

Default Re: Monster vulns and weapon damage types

Ok, correct me if I am wrong somebody, and I only know a few mobs, but here goes...

Golems tend to be more resistant to piercing and slashing, vulnerable to crushing
    Skeletons the same
    Beetles are very resistant to slash, less to crush, vulnerable to pierce
    Meaty critters (Wolves, Fyakki, etc) are resistant to crush, less to pierce, vulnerable to slash
    Zombies are the same

That's all I can think of at the moment, and there are probably errors in it <Shrugs>
    Death is the ultimate dilemma and integral to the beliefs and behavior of every culture. Life is bore on the corpses of the dead. Without death, there would be no motivation to do anything. The only emotion would be existing. Life would be pestilent and agonizing.

Ssilmath Torshak
    Paladin of Kass, Master Armorsmith

Yup, you got two of those backwards. Golems are vulnerable to pierce, as evidenced by the massive damage they take off my spiked scales. Beetles on the other hand are resistant; spiked scales damage is greatly diminished. Fyakki, I recall, are similarily resistant.

Metal golems resist fire, my flame-specced battlemage doesn't like them much. Treants, and perhaps oastics too, are resistant to nature but burn very prettily. I suppose that various fire-themed monsters - flame and fire ogres & pygmies, flame wolves, fiery dires, flame and fire beetles, lava golems - resist fire and their ice equivalents resist ice. I've no hard evidence to back this up though. My fire breath works effectively on mobs in Char so their resistance can't be very high, if it exists.

Withered Aegis' spiritist undead, naturally, are poor targets for spirit spells as they have ethereal armor.

As an aside; in Horizons, these resistances work as additional armor that works only against a specific damage type. As a lunus dragon, I have 40 points fire resistance, or +40 armor against fire attacks. The greatly feared animated marrows, back when they still were ingame, had 1200 slash/pierce/crush resist (according to gamersinfo's statistics) which basically turns into +1200 armor against melee attacks not enhanced with flame/ice/energy attack spell.

Dragon adventurer 100 | Dragon crafter 100 | Dragon lairshaper 84

Metal golems (mithril, platinum, gold, iron, etc.) are highly resistant to crush damage, but vulnerable to pierce (as Varangaard mentioned). Gem golems, on the other hand, are resistant to slash damage, but vulnerable to crush.
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lascivious Goat
    or would a bow always do only piercing damage.
    There are various ways to convert from one damage type to the next.

Guardians force, an ability, converts damage to nature.
    Energy Attack, Flame attack, Ice attack, which are spells, convert damage to the respective types (Although I'm not sure which type I'm doing when I have both on).

You could also loot a bow that converts damage to crush, most likely called a Crush-striking blighted yew longbow, for example.
    Twelvebagger
    12x100. <-- I did monk!
    Twelvebagger's Mistress (pinkie!)
    Redo the loot tables and bring on the undead hordes! (*Hands Beer to NimK)

Thread Information