Thread: Player polls on new content, priorities, content changes

Default Player polls on new content, priorities, content changes

I'd like to see polls that reflect player input rather than having to rely on some FOCUS group being the voice of the paying customer.

We are all paying customers, and we all have vested interest in how we want to play this game and the same right to a voice as any other player.

A poll would be a more objective AND equitable means of getting feedback.

Default Re: Player polls on new content, priorities, content changes

A poll would also be very limiting unless you plan on including a rather large variety of options.

The devs do read several posts on here, they also have been known to reply to them and make fixes when they can.

Nonetheless, you're right, we do all have a vested interest and the same rights.

Twelvebagger
    12x100. <-- I did monk!
    Twelvebagger's Mistress (pinkie!)
    Redo the loot tables and bring on the undead hordes! (*Hands Beer to NimK)

put it on the login screen, limit it to one response per account so it cant be abused.
    25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

ADV: Centenarian Nature Walker; Rating: 162
    Craft: 1900 levels; Craft Rating: 234
    DRGN: Lunus, Adult, 100 DRAG, 100 DCRA, 100 DLSH, Expert Lairshaper (Chaos-04)

No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

If the enemy presents an opportunity, take advantage of it - Sun Tzu

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;http://community.istaria.com/Web/Sho...spx?ForumID=15&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

And not much happens in the focus group. Very little policy, mostly just "What do you think about this? KTHX&lt;3"
    "We live only ONE REAL DAY, during which we recall false memories of living many more."
    Is it today?
    "No."

I'm not talking about policy, I'm talking about priorities in content versus bug fixes, an ability to get EVERY player's input on whether they want abilities limited in multiclassing, whether the upcoming proposed/in development craft changes are desired amongst the majority of the player base.

I am not really all that interested in how bored the level 100s in the focus group are, I'm not bored....I don't need the game slowed down or new time sinks created. I don't want monsters made more challenging because a number of players have multiclassed to the point that there are not so many challenging mobs for them....that's how these players invested their time in game, new players or new characters are not so powerful that they ALSO feel that these mobs are underpowered.

Let's have ALL our opinions count, we pay the same $$ as the others and should have the same consideration of our ideas, feelings, dislikes, etc.

TY.

Quote Originally Posted by BKBanzai
    I'm not talking about policy, I'm talking about priorities in content versus bug fixes, an ability to get EVERY player's input on whether they want abilities limited in multiclassing, whether the upcoming proposed/in development craft changes are desired amongst the majority of the player base.

I am not really all that interested in how bored the level 100s in the focus group are, I'm not bored....I don't need the game slowed down or new time sinks created. I don't want monsters made more challenging because a number of players have multiclassed to the point that there are not so many challenging mobs for them....that's how these players invested their time in game, new players or new characters are not so powerful that they ALSO feel that these mobs are underpowered.

Let's have ALL our opinions count, we pay the same $$ as the others and should have the same consideration of our ideas, feelings, dislikes, etc.

TY.
    &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;http://community.istaria.com/Web/&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;
    "We live only ONE REAL DAY, during which we recall false memories of living many more."
    Is it today?
    "No."

Polls make a lot of sense. A LOT of sense. No they can't ask everything, but they could sure ask SOME things.Even with focus groups there are things which can be done to get a better representation of the outlook of moreof the people playing this game.

1.Don't limit the focus group to heavy players with multiple level 100 characters.Get some diversity. Two people who have announced on these boards that they're inthe focus group both have multiple level 100s. One other I konw of is similar. If the other members are similar then that's going to slant everything they get. Sure they should have a some heavy players but they shouldn't LIMIT themselves to heavy players unless they're going to confine a given meeting to topics which only apply to that kind of players (i.e. end game content). Include newbies. Include people who have put in a lot of play time but STILL don't have level 100s. Basically, try to get a true cross section of the kinds of people who play the game. Likewise, they DEFINATELY shouldn't limit themselves to those who are really vocal posters on these boards (the ones I know of are although that doesn't mean they all are of course).

They have e-mail addresses and usage statistics for every single person playing the game. I'd think they could sendsome e-mails out to some asking if they'd like to be in a focus group. In fact, send out a bunch and if too many people are interested for a single focus group hold them in reserve and use them for the NEXT time they want focus group input. This brings me to the next point.

2. CHANGE the focus group at regular intervals. It should not be THE focus group but A focus group. I have been involved in a few focus groups for other products(on the company side -- not the user's side) and they tended to be one time affairs.We met, we talked for awhile, the meeting ended, and that was the end of that focus group. If they wantedmore inputthey'd get another focus group with different people.

Don't listen to the same half dozen players time and time again. Those people will have a certain outlook which may or may not reflect the outlook of most of the people actually playing. Even if they DID limit themselves to players with characters with multiple level 100s (which they should only do for end game content), they should STILL change the makeup of the focus group, just to mix things up a bit so that the same few people don't provide a consistent slant. Not everyone with a level 100 chracter is going to have the same opinions or ideas of what would or would not work.

3. As was said, do polls. Polls are NOT some off the wall hairbrained idea but a solid time honored way of getting opinions. Pollscan't go into as much depth as a focus group, but they DEFINATELY give results which more accurately reflect the opinions of the people playing the game.

HZ has a web log-on interface. Seems to me like it would be easier for them to set up a poll then most games. Even without a web interface EQ1 would frequently have polls of people entering the game. When you logged on you were presented with a question.You had to answer it to proceed, even if you just clicked the "don't care" answer. I'm not sure if it's necessary to be so "in your face", but a poll in a prominant place after you log on might be useful and might give some surprising input.

4. They might consider some sort of player council. This might be a semi-permanent group of players who WOULD presume to speak for players at large (i.e. much like the current focus group). The difference is there would be some attempt for them toREPRESENT the players and be ACCOUNTABLE to them. Perhaps this council would be elected by players in-game at regular intervals.I'm not sure if I like this idea or how practical it would be or how useful it would be, but I figured I'd toss it out.

Hopefully TG will use many ways of getting player feedback. Polls, focus groupS (plural as in many groups none of which lasts for long), monitoring the boards, and just playing on the regular servers without telling anyone they're a dev. All have their place. However, if they let themselves give undue weight to the opinions of a small subset of players then things could be misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by Goriax
    Polls make a lot of sense. A LOT of sense. No they can't ask everything, but they could sure ask SOME things.Even with focus groups there are things which can be done to get a better representation of the outlook of moreof the people playing this game.

1.Don't limit the focus group to heavy players with multiple level 100 characters.Get some diversity. Two people who have announced on these boards that they're inthe focus group both have multiple level 100s. One other I konw of is similar. If the other members are similar then that's going to slant everything they get. Sure they should have a some heavy players but they shouldn't LIMIT themselves to heavy players unless they're going to confine a given meeting to topics which only apply to that kind of players (i.e. end game content). Include newbies. Include people who have put in a lot of play time but STILL don't have level 100s. Basically, try to get a true cross section of the kinds of people who play the game. Likewise, they DEFINATELY shouldn't limit themselves to those who are really vocal posters on these boards (the ones I know of are although that doesn't mean they all are of course).

They have e-mail addresses and usage statistics for every single person playing the game. I'd think they could sendsome e-mails out to some asking if they'd like to be in a focus group. In fact, send out a bunch and if too many people are interested for a single focus group hold them in reserve and use them for the NEXT time they want focus group input. This brings me to the next point.

2. CHANGE the focus group at regular intervals. It should not be THE focus group but A focus group. I have been involved in a few focus groups for other products(on the company side -- not the user's side) and they tended to be one time affairs.We met, we talked for awhile, the meeting ended, and that was the end of that focus group. If they wantedmore inputthey'd get another focus group with different people.

Don't listen to the same half dozen players time and time again. Those people will have a certain outlook which may or may not reflect the outlook of most of the people actually playing. Even if they DID limit themselves to players with characters with multiple level 100s (which they should only do for end game content), they should STILL change the makeup of the focus group, just to mix things up a bit so that the same few people don't provide a consistent slant. Not everyone with a level 100 chracter is going to have the same opinions or ideas of what would or would not work.

3. As was said, do polls. Polls are NOT some off the wall hairbrained idea but a solid time honored way of getting opinions. Pollscan't go into as much depth as a focus group, but they DEFINATELY give results which more accurately reflect the opinions of the people playing the game.

HZ has a web log-on interface. Seems to me like it would be easier for them to set up a poll then most games. Even without a web interface EQ1 would frequently have polls of people entering the game. When you logged on you were presented with a question.You had to answer it to proceed, even if you just clicked the "don't care" answer. I'm not sure if it's necessary to be so "in your face", but a poll in a prominant place after you log on might be useful and might give some surprising input.

4. They might consider some sort of player council. This might be a semi-permanent group of players who WOULD presume to speak for players at large (i.e. much like the current focus group). The difference is there would be some attempt for them toREPRESENT the players and be ACCOUNTABLE to them. Perhaps this council would be elected by players in-game at regular intervals.I'm not sure if I like this idea or how practical it would be or how useful it would be, but I figured I'd toss it out.

Hopefully TG will use many ways of getting player feedback. Polls, focus groupS (plural as in many groups none of which lasts for long), monitoring the boards, and just playing on the regular servers without telling anyone they're a dev. All have their place. However, if they let themselves give undue weight to the opinions of a small subset of players then things could be misleading.
    Good post.
    Twelvebagger
    12x100. <-- I did monk!

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor
    put it on the login screen, limit it to one response per account so it cant be abused.
    Ok, I'm swayed.

I agree, the above would be a good idea.
    Twelvebagger
    12x100. <-- I did monk!

The post-bankruptcy poll was very well done, and it had the advantage of being sent to ex-players as well. It was probably somewhat expensive; maybe if redone in the same way, sent to 10% as many as last time.

The forums seem to work pretty well actually, but I worry a bit sometimes about the silent majority.
    ____Kulamata Quality Armor___
    None Genuine without this Pawprint `',''

Achiever 86%, Explorer 60%, Socializer 46%, Killer 6%.

I worry about then too Kulamata because most of that majority are the newer players or players that aren't 100 x &lt;almost everything&gt;.

Every single discussion I have seen about proposed changes have one thing in common. They are almost devoid of new player feedback. Nothing. Zilch. It is almost entirely made up of veteran players. I find that completely unfair to that silent majority.

Thread Information