Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hoard as a Currency?

Default Hoard as a Currency?

(I searched as thoroughly as I could to see if this was suggested before, but I didn't find anything. So, if what I'm proposing has already been said by someone else, I apologize in advance for wasting everybody's time.)

As the title says, I was wondering what some player's (specifically those with dragon characters) opinions on the idea of giving the hoard a third use to the "passive benefit/'fuel' for powerful abilities" system, that is making a dragon's hoard like a form of currency that can be used in trade with other dragons.

Two dragon players could trade "X" item for "X" amount of hoard, in place of actual coin or valuable items/hoardables. This would allow players rife with hoard to utilize it if they so wish instead of needing to have a lot of on-hand cash or really valuable items to get that shiny new headscale they've been looking for from another dragon that would be happy to part with for the right price.

This isn't to say that players could simply remove a certain amount of hoard from their overall stash and trade it as an item, but that the trade would go directly from hoard to hoard and only between dragon players, so a dragon couldn't use it in place of actual payment for a consignor or pawnie or turn it into an object. It would also be a nice break for hatchlings if they come across an elder dragon with a weighty hoard and a big heart. ^_^

I just thought it would be neat to give the hoard more purpose than it already has. Granted, the purpose it already plays is important, but when I think of a dragon's hoard, I think of oodles of priceless treasures and the like. Once added to a dragon's hoard though, those treasures essentially lose all monetary value because they can't be used for anything apart from the two purposes it serves already. Making it into something like a currency would be kind of useful, like a sort of mini-economy that exists solely in the dragon player base.

...What do you think?
    Chaos: Gael Tycarren--Dragon
    "I just... want to remember."

Default Re: Hoard as a Currency?

In a strange way it does sound interesting… Not saying good or bad, but still quite interesting.

Why not use hoard as payment for lairs in the Chiconis, Dralk and Drakul areas as well.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Interesting idea, but considering they removed lore tokens and bounty markers because too many currency systems was too complicated for people to wrap their minds around I doubt it will go anywhere. Sorry for the splash of cold water.

Dracaena

Well, considering how many people give away hoard to hachies, making it also "money" could dis-incentivize that charity to early players. So imho, bad idea.

We'd get ppl saying, "hey can I have hoard I need to do my rop" only to be lying and then spend it elsewhere. Nope. Some bad apples and those of us who do this charitable giving now would stop and get disenfranchised... Then the new players who really might need it have to fend for themselves.

Also, coin drops might need adjusted down on mobs who drop both coin and hoard, and then biepds would be getting left out since they have no way to spend it.

The pawn values would be all out of whack... Consignment prices would get rediculous.. Dragons might stop using hoard powered attacks, which, when without, aren't Dragons..

Sorry, too many things this would disrupt in big, negative ways.

If you want to be using hoard as currency, do not place it in your hoard directly and instead save it in the vault. It stacks, so you could pick 3 or 4 types of the high value pieces that you save as trade currency, and stick the rest in your hoard to keep it manageable.
    Last edited by Guaran; November 3rd, 2010 at 10:41 PM.

I am confused on this one. What exactly are you talking about?

Hoard IS a form of currency in game. It can be actively bartered
    and traded for, as you suggested, or it can be sold on the Consigners
    like normal exchanges. It is merely a personal choice of how to trade
    for services.

This is the same with any lootable item within Istaria.

Or maybe you mean it should have a specified CV (coin value)?
    I believe that is also already ingame.

And the Hoard - Hoard trading?? Let's not go there.
    Let me tell you an old story about the days when Dragon Hoard
    used to Leak......

Andaras

Well, it was just a thought. Since I see more people are oppose to the idea than for it, I won't continue to push my suggestion. Sorry for wasting everyone's time.

No, no!

Keep throwing ideas out there!

If you find a nice wall, some may stick!
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

I haven't experianced anything with the game so far that I'm certain they're either already working on or has already been suggested and was A)ignored as it was a dumb suggestion or B)put under consideration, but isn't going to happen for a long time.

Plus, half the ideas I have I know are just flat-out not going to happen regardless of how many people might want it. Or it's something that could affect the game's lore and I'm not versed enough in much of it to be able to make a good case.

I have lots of reasons to not bother, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Armameteus View Post
    I haven't experianced anything with the game so far that I'm certain they're either already working on or has already been suggested and was A)ignored as it was a dumb suggestion or B)put under consideration, but isn't going to happen for a long time.

Plus, half the ideas I have I know are just flat-out not going to happen regardless of how many people might want it. Or it's something that could affect the game's lore and I'm not versed enough in much of it to be able to make a good case.

I have lots of reasons to not bother, it seems.
    Don't give up.

Listen.

I have played a MMO where players can be extremely nasty (EvE Online) but despite this, they let out valuable droplets of knowledge that with patience may be gathered, assembled and used at profit.
    I.e. I visit their Market forum (aka talks about economy - EvE has a quasi-realistic economy) and out of that forum I learned RL finance and sometimes I trade RL securities like Futures or Forex exclusively thanks to that patient work of gathering little snippets.

This game is no different, even a new player may learn tons and contribute his little bits that in the end form a "block" of stuff that Vi can eventually consider for their new implementations.

In this specific case, you are proposing something that is part of a broad category: currency markets. There is an exchange ratio, which often is variable and changes depending on the underlying economy. I.e. if many dragons play in a month, the hoard currency will float up in value and you will find hoard drops sold for an higher price. Even Istaria official money floats over time. During a long period where nothing special happens, money will depreciate, if a new event or a new money sink is introduced (i.e. new vault expansion quest), money starts to circulate or even to disappear entirely and then it becomes more valuable.

Other items may also be used as currency: rares and expecially the relics.

I.e. the more the years pass, the easier is to get / farm "normal money" (new events don't keep up with overall game money generation) but if I put up for sale my unattuned BHM, I could ask basically for any price. Likewise I have other relics (Mossy Mace, parcels, boons...) and each of them is "hoard" for me (the real hoard) and sound money.

Finally, a good read about how money has different degrees of quality and appreciation vs the physical money medium / item there is also this interesting article.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

yes Armameteus- do not give up.

Even if a suggestion does not bring enthusiastic feed back- we on the forums
    (players and devs) DO listen and think about it.

All input is much appreciated. Especially from newer players
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Even though this idea wouldn't work out doesn't mean you should stop putting forth ideas.

Once in awhile dev's listen to suggestions, and new things happen

New eyes might see things old timers overlook, don't give up Armameteus.

Dracaena

Ack!

Dragon-pile on the Veruliyam O.o
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Where would I be able to find my niche though? That creamy median where my ideas aren't too grand to be considered blasphemy to even attempt, but aren't too miniscule to be looked over as something not nessecary to be implamented unless someone doesn't have anything useful to do with their time? I suck at finding the grey area in anything.

Also, just for quick clarification, more for myself than anything, the idea was just that hoard percentages could be directly trade-able between players and players only. All that other stuff would just probably arise from the that kind of thing being set in place. Just saying, because I over-complicated it above. I tend to do that, curse it all.
    Last edited by Armameteus; November 5th, 2010 at 06:22 AM.

Where would I be able to find my niche though? That creamy median where my ideas aren't too grand to be considered blasphemy to even attempt, but aren't too miniscule to be looked over as something not nessecary to be implamented unless someone doesn't have anything useful to do with their time? I suck at finding the grey area in anything. .
    It's trial and error, Armameteus - the only thing you can do is toss it out there and see whether other people will catch it or let it fall.

I think the idea is interesting - though I must admit I don't have enough hoard to consider "selling" it in that way. I need every scrap in order to ensure I have the armour and breath weapon power, and I'm still some 20million short of what I should have at my level And I don't have anything valuable enough for someone ELSE to want to give me theirs.
    - Kesqui - Formerly of Ice, now of Chaos, lair in Liak
    First Rebirth 12-12-2003 / Ascended to Ancient 12-12-2010

arrgh- it beaks my heart to see my scaled brothers and sisters starve

FEED THE DRAGONS FOLKS

(and if you play on Order pls contact me for hoard)
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

In a way, hoard already works as currency. You acquire hoardable items, quite a few of them specifically designed for that purpose, and you can trade or sell these if you don't wish to "eat" them.

What you can't do, however, is (to continue to use the metaphor) regurgitate hoard to then trade to others. Yuck, just gave myself a pretty disgusting mental image from that.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

If I may reply to your idea on suggestions being shot down. I know of one VERY important suggestion made a long time ago during the Tulga era during a developer's chat. Dragon lairs were being introduced at the time, so the thought of construction was running very high. One of the players on Order asked about the storage lairs would offer. The mirroring of the biped halls and houses and silos was the response. Then the player asked if there could be a high stack, low bulk chamber made for formulas, spells, and techniques. The result was we have libraries, both biped and dragon in-game.

Another such example is the arena on top of the spire.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

I see that there are very good resons for not implamenting something like this, the largest being that the economy would be completely discombobulated. I should have thought of something like that. Ugh, stupididty; I has it.

I see that there are very good resons for not implamenting something like this, the largest being that the economy would be completely discombobulated. I should have thought of something like that. Ugh, stupididty; I has it.
    It is better to suggest it and get explained why it will not work, then forever wonder how people would have reacted. You can post anything you like to see ingame... However do not try dragon riding... many have suggested this and will probably never make it ingame even if people were generally positive about it...
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Thread Information