Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Antivirus Annoyances

Default Re: Antivirus Annoyances

When it comes to security software less features is better. More features => more complex => more bugs and security issues...

If you like it, keep it. For me currently MSE is the thing to install, since AVG annoyed me too much. If you just disable that feature, look for a software that does the same and does not have such a feature... especially sound in a application just for the sake of voiceovers... that's quite a lot overhead for a useless feature.
    I wanna be ancient. Why is there no ARoP for Saris?

Quote Originally Posted by Akrion View Post
    Just too much for you to disable the voiceovers, eh?
    Yeah, my boyfriend can't STAND the antivirus I use and constantly rants about it being invasive because he has to take 2 seconds on install to disable ad bulletins There are people that just want a working something and not have to deal with such silly things as 'preferences' or 'settings'.

Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    When it comes to security software less features is better. More features => more complex => more bugs and security issues...
    It's hardly that simple and straight forward. That's assuming the developers programmed so poorly that they'd mix their code up rather than modularize it (meaning an audio bug would simply be an audio bug), and if Avast were programmed that poorly I doubt it ever would have become popular in the first place since it would be all-in-all terrible.

If you just disable that feature, look for a software that does the same and does not have such a feature...
    Even if that means said software is notably less popular because of the lack of those features and as a result gets significantly fewer updates on discovered viruses thus making you less secure? An antivirus program, to work effectively, needs a database of virus signatures. The best way to get those signatures is to have your program return data on newly discovered viruses.

The more people you have using your program, the more encounters you'll have with new viruses, the more encounters you have with new viruses the more signitures you get, the more signatures you get the more viruses you can protect your clients from. This is why antivirus programs are usually free: they make their money selling to large companies and gain a fair bit of their security by giving lighter versions to individual users for free. It's a symbiotic relationship.

especially sound in a application just for the sake of voiceovers... that's quite a lot overhead for a useless feature.
    If by 'quite a lot of overhead' you mean almost none. The only reason why sound can have a lot of overhead is because, primarially with games, sound files get loaded into memory (games usually load sound effects to memory). The only reason to load something into memory is if you plan on using it frequently, if you don't you just load it from the hard drive (this is how most games handle music, they stream it from the hard drive rather than from memory).

I'm fairly positive that Avast simply streams its sound from the hard drive due to the fact it's currently taking 6,500K of memory (it could also be using very tiny sound files, I guess). Depending on if the sound module is running on a separate thread, it will either be idling or doing nothing at all (meaning absolutely no overhead) until a sound needs to be played. So there's going to be almost no overhead until a sound is played, then there will be a little bit of overhead.
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    Sounds good, though I'm not sure I like the lack of Malware detection.

Malware can be almost just as bad as viruses/trojans sometimes, and some programs aren't keen about letting you know that there's malware/spyware bundled with them (or look-alike programs exist, such as Spybot S&D vs Spywarebot S&D ... one's legit, the other is a malware-laden POS designed to fool people into thinking they're downloading the legit thing) and some Malware, once installed, is hard to get rid of (almost like a virus).

Why they're not actually *called* viruses and treated as such is beyond me. They're nearly just as harmful to your computer at any rate, some of them go as far as to give you bogus information to make you waste money, too.

But I suppose there are other programs to deal with that kinda stuff (MBAM for example), but really I'm supposed to dump _one_ program to have to use _two_ now?

I'll give it some thought though, esp when the end of this year comes around and AVG wants me to download the latest major AV software. Or maybe sooner, might give it a test run on one of my computers.

Absoultey they are just as bad. As I said, the last "infection" I've had in years was malaware and I STILL Had to reformat the system because it was impossible to remove (even after all the suggestions I tried that supposedly removed it).

But even with AVG or any AV I keep spybot around as well and I run both weekly *shrugs* Never hurts to have extra checkers and malaware seems to be much more likely an infection than a virus (and yes to me..same thing)
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimir View Post
    So if anyone knows of an AV program that allows one to actually control please PM me as the link may get deleted as it is not Istaria related.

Thanks
    I have read this post and there is a lot of good advice about how to protect your computer.
    A lot of us can give testimonies about AV software which work for them for years.
    I have not had a virus/bug on my computer since 1999 (knock on wood) mostly because 99% of the time I am the one using it. And I go to a lot of bad sites and download stuff to test.
    My testimony is that I have used Zonealarm Pro software for my firewall and NOD32 for the antivirus software which alerted me of intrusions and of course common sense to watch what you download (I always double scan) and install.
    I have switched to Eset Smart Security bundle since January because it was cheaper. So I am testing to see if that has equal firewall software.
    Freeware is good to test but if you are serious about keeping your system safe it is worth your while to google top rated security software and read a lot.
    It's the same with Istaria...you can play for free but you are limited to what the game has to offer.
    Subscribe to Istaria today ! hehehe

cheers

the question is....where the heck did this kid get 500k games o.O

most likely a torrent place and hello trojans. surprise the virus scan found nothing in that folder.

You can buy them from places like wal mart for $10 or so. From what I've seen of them they're the cheapy little games like poker simulators, zuma, ( or its knock offs) solitary, ect. I made the mistake of buying one for my little bro years ago. From what I remember they also come with their own built in ads. Im pretty sure I ended up with a virus because of that

Quote Originally Posted by Tcei View Post
    You can buy them from places like wal mart for $10 or so. From what I've seen of them they're the cheapy little games like poker simulators, zuma, ( or its knock offs) solitary, ect. I made the mistake of buying one for my little bro years ago. From what I remember they also come with their own built in ads. Im pretty sure I ended up with a virus because of that
    ^^
    This.

Usually cheap games and demos of games.

I remember a long time ago right after I got my first computer, I bought this "1001 games" CD and it was full of demos, several hundred card games, etc.

There were like... 2-3 decent games on it, but they were demos. And one of them I already had -- Castle of the Winds.

No viruses or adware or anything, but this was a *long* time ago, like 10+ years ago. Lots of DOS games and Win3.1 card games, etc.

Thread Information