Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forums Issues

Dr. Raymond C. Rask, President & CTO - E I Interactive rcrask's Avatar

Default Forums Issues

Greetings....

We have reduced the minimum number of characters in a posting to 25 from 50. The reason for the minimum (I would still prefer 50) is so that the posts contain something real to read, rather than one or two word comments, or chat type posts. I recognize that sometimes there might be very few words to say, but one, two or three word posts are not really that interesting and many times are just chatter.

Also, a number of forums database issues have been cleaned up lately and other changes have been made to reduce server loading and disk space. During some of this process, we have had the content "cache" turned off, which increases the load time for threads, etc. We have completed the back-end maintenance work on the forums and will again turn on the cache. Over the next 12-hours or so, the most popular threads and posts will again be in the cache and the download performance will improve.

Let me address the software license issues for these forums and other istaria.com websites, which have been the subject of much discussion by certain individuals.

a) E I Communications Corp. purchased all of the game related assets to operate and continue development of Horizons and those assets included hardware, software, etc. As part of that purchase, we also purchased all websites, and all related systems, including the forums, IRC chat, content management systems, trouble ticketing systems, etc. That asset purchase included all needed software and software licenses.

b) There have been certain parties that have claimed that they owned certain software or licenses or that other related parties owned same and those assets and licenses were not part of the sale. This issue has been completely cleared up by Tulga, in that Tulga management has in writing, on more than two occasions, informed all current and former vendors of software and software licenses that those assets and related licenses were to be transferred to E I Communication Corp. I know this is actually the case, as I have been copied on these communications, including on communications to the complaining parties.

c) Specifically, as it relates to these forums, David Bowman personally handled the transfer of the vBulletin license to E I Communications Corp.

Given the volume level and pitch of forums postings and other communications by certain parties, I have been reluctant to say anything, simply because of the increasing possibility we might need to take other more formal action. But at this point, I feel comfortable enough with our position in this matter and with the actions taken by Tulga that I can speak more freely about this issue.

Thank you for taking the time to read this posting.

Best,

Raymond Rask
    President & CTO
    E I Communications Corp.
    Last edited by EIHorizons; August 24th, 2006 at 02:53 AM.

very good info. thank you but maybe this post should be in a different area than suggestions? just a suggestion.

Thank you for posting that . It clears up some misconceptions that had been floating around.

I find you to be very articulate sir Obviously higher education has its rewards

Cheers!!

And thank YOU for posting this.

It really will go a long way in settling fears.

Very good form!
    As a new dawn rises over Istaria, may we all band together to meet the challenges!

Continuing Development of Horizons... SWEET!

Actually, it would be better form for the one to have made the previous claims to be able to come here and state that the situation has been resolved. This is still a he said she said problem just like AE and TG had with GN. It can only be truly resolved when all parties can be heard from at the same location. And from what I have heard... an account has been deleted and the other poster has no abilities to post here anymore, and perhaps no desire as well.

Not trying to discount the attempt at settling this matter, just saying it perhaps should have come from the previous initiating party to be truly believed
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

Quote Originally Posted by Fratricide
    Not trying to discount the attempt at settling this matter, just saying it perhaps should have come from the previous initiating party to be truly believed
    The previous party stated that if any of her posts were edited or deleted, she'd shut down the forums. That did not happen, so it is very possible it is because she no longer held the license. Perhaps she was unaware of the extent of the transfer of "holdings" from TG to EI.

Thank you for posting :-)

Amazing how a little communication can go a long way :-)

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Fratricide
    Actually, it would be better form for the one to have made the previous claims to be able to come here and state that the situation has been resolved. This is still a he said she said problem just like AE and TG had with GN. believed
    Quite honestly... it's always going to be a "he said she said" no matter what for some people.

======

RASK! Thanks for the information! =)

BK,

Whether or not the initiator of this situation realized or not that the license was transferred at the time of their post isnt what my statement was about. It was more to the point that Party A... lets call them the first poster.. and Party B... lets call them EI... had differing opinions as to what was and was not actually transferred in the sale of the game.

Party B says that everything including all the liscenses to these forums were transferred.

Party A has said that they were not.

Party B says that Party A has been sent the paperwork regarding this.

Party A has yet to respond to this one way or the other. Party A, according to what I understand, Cannot respond to Party B's post here on these forums because Party A no longer has a voice here because, from what I understand, Party B deleted that voice.

Now... As I said previously. The initial statement by Party A was such to lead us to understand that Party B had not infact completed the proper paperwork to obtain the rights to the software that enables these forums to work. Party B says that infact that paperwork was completed and they have copies of said paperwork that has been sent to all other parties involved in the transaction. Yet, This situation is still truly finalized until Party A is capable of giving closure to this issue no matter how much discussion Party B gives to the matter.

<I Deleted some things that would have gotten me in trouble here...>

Yup.. I get more confusing the later in the evening I post..
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

Default It appears to be closed now

per Rasks official statement. So, lets just let the past go and move forward.

Thanks

say, but one, two or three word posts are not really that interesting and many times are just chatter.
    I understand that you may not feel, and I agree, that one/2/3 word posts contribute much.

But consider this...

1-Forums are here for "chatter" as you call it

2-people (as they are already) won't be attempting to put anything more meaningful than their one or two words if that's all they wanted to say. Instead they will just randomly fill in the spaces until they can post the post.

So instead of a post saying:

"Yes I agree"

It says

"Yes I agree

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"

or something.

Like when Peaches recently filled in her 50 letter limit with a big long WOOOOOOOOOT!

I just think the letter limit is silly and unnecessary . Please consider these points.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Frith-Rae
    I understand that you may not feel, and I agree, that one/2/3 word posts contribute much.

But consider this...

1-Forums are here for "chatter" as you call it

2-people (as they are already) won't be attempting to put anything more meaningful than their one or two words if that's all they wanted to say. Instead they will just randomly fill in the spaces until they can post the post.

"Yes I agree"

It says

"Yes I agree

or something.

Like when Peaches recently filled in her 50 letter limit with a big long WOOOOOOOOOT!

I just think the letter limit is silly and unnecessary . Please consider these points.
    I do agree!

But the message I entered was too short....
    snickel wigglsniff (retired) Twilight Crusaders on Unity
    poggle wigglsniff (gnomish crafter and mage) semi-retired on Order
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    A gnomish house should not just sit there, it should definitely DO something!

The license wasnt Davids to transfer =) Thats the long and the short of it. Not trying to stir up the pot here but Ophelia let Tulga use her VB license. She didnt sign the license over to Tulga.

Thats the issue. For the sake of putting this silliness to rest wouldnt it be just the easiest to go and fork out the $150 bucks?

Cheers and good luck

Default Once again

its he said she said, and that doesn't help the matter. Rask stated his facts, as they are, and in the scope of things, its about as official as you will get.

Quote Originally Posted by Frith-Rae

"Yes I agree"

It says

"Yes I agree

or something.
    I tried that once. My post got deleted.

"This forum requires that you wait 120 seconds between posts. Please try again in 24 seconds."
    Again, I haven't posted yet since I started lunch from work, what's with this?

Quote Originally Posted by CallakDW
    Again, I haven't posted yet since I started lunch from work, what's with this?
    Send a PM perhaps? I just noticed that it also starts the timer.

I did nothing before posting this on this forum but browse other threads. And it keeps happening.

The timer messes up the edit function as well.

Very irritating, the timer, and I'm not sure why the change was needed; I'm not aware of any problem that it fixed.
    ____Kulamata Quality Armor___
    None Genuine without this Pawprint `',''

Achiever 86%, Explorer 60%, Socializer 46%, Killer 6%.

Quote Originally Posted by snickel
    <Quoting a complete post 25 line, yes 25 lines since the return for empty line has to be stored somewhere ... and his reply>
    I do agree!

But the message I entered was too short....
    Humm!!! I see that Snickel has not understood anything that RCRask said and RCSack to fail to understand the real issue.

As to RCRask comment ...

Quote Originally Posted by rcrask
    We have reduced the minimum number of characters in a posting to 25 from 50. The reason for the minimum (I would still prefer 50) is so that the posts contain something real to read, rather than one or two word comments....
    I don't think the issue is the length of the post, because peoples still can post useless repetitive info in 25 lines. On other hand, other's that I appreciate their views and comment greatly, can post 40-100 lines of coherent and usefull information. Snickel post is the flagrant example of what I'm expressing, yes quotes are usefull, but reposting a complete post with and answer " I Agree" is not usefull and like RCRask said ... "" other changes have been made to reduce server loading and disk space ""

RCRask I don't know if the forum software can do it, but I think if the software could check that the quote is less then 50% of the message to allow posting it, would be more usefull then cutting it down to 25 lines versus 50 lines.

Just my own view really ...
    Nalrach, Healer & Guardian, Member of the "Iron Circle" guild
    Ramti, Friendly draggy trying to wake-up from long nap.

Thread Information