Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Player Housing

Default Player Housing

Hi folks

I've been asked to write an article on player housing in horizons for an online gaming magazine.. as a dedicated builder, I do know what it entails (I'm also going to include lairshaping of course)

What I'm missing, but will be getting a few myself, are screenshots of plot & lair planning, partially built stuff (won't be a problem!) and finished plots (more of an issue).

If anyone has a particular plot or lair that they are extremely proud of building themselves, or perhaps has a favourite location that may be unusually pretty... please let me know, if it's on Chaos I should be able to get a screenshot, if on one of the other shards, please can YOU get a screenie and let me know.

I'll post a link to the article once it's done. While I can write one fairly well myself (I think!), your input will make it a more complete piece.

I'm hoping it will generate some more interest in Horizons as well, as the magazine is usually aimed at DDO players.. I'll try and get links for the trial etc included as part of the piece

Ariadne
    Bobda Bilda (Chaos) - www.hzconfectioner.org.uk
    http://www.painefreecrafts.com - what takes up most of my spare time now..

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Default Re: Player Housing

If you need some planning shots, I've got some posted at obsidianorder.kalex.org when I was showing off wall stepping examples. I've also got my plot as it looks from the outside when completed from the four directions, if that'd help, as well as some shots of the Nong main plot when Obsidian Order was holding it.

As for lair shots, Tagath took some shots of his various levels from his Mala 4x4x9. Would those help?

Do you have an e-mail address that I could send them to directly?
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Drop Amarie a PM with the details on the article. too. Never know what kind of stuff she might pull out of her hat.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Bummer, pop in on Order and come to Tobrez by the portal out. I will see if i can get you a few shots of it from above and in the zebo
    Roguar the Zerker
    Drinker of Ale
    Order, Scoin
    why can i not sell hoard to a PB?

if you have a copy on blight i have a plot in granite hills that is kinda designed off a star trek battle cruser and my plot in mai's egde is a large house with a guest house out back a tennis court and 2 water falls in the back ground also my plot in last stand has a fountain a large house and a gazabbo.
    OK the old sig was too long , this one is better.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

don't have any of the palace, but here are some from my old 'starter' plot in clear port....

you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

thanks for the replies so far people Love the screenies, velveeta. I used to have a toon on Order, will have to recreate one there, and recopy Ari over to Blight so she can fly to wherever I'm pointed!

I've sent a PM to Amarie as well. Deadline is Sunday 24th so I don't have a lot of time. I may well have enough for 3-4 articles by the time I'm finished.

Oh if anyone is interested in the Legends magazine, first 2 issues are at:

http://www.legendsguild.co.uk/DDO/Custom3/

I'm rather fond of the view from Zur's lair, though others may find it boring. Basically, I get to look out at an icy ocean. The inside looks nice, imo, though it's unfinished.

The cat's plot is unfinished, as well, and not as pretty as it used to be, but you are free to take screenies of either of those spots. They're both on Chaos in Brandon's Shelf.

If you want a PDF of one of Zur's lair layouts (it's been revised twice since the PDF was made) for whatever reason, I could provide one of those, as well.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

thanx!! obviously, i love fluff over utility....i managed to combine them at the palace!! lots of trees (named for thum and the cause of me being cursed at by ry,,, ) in my garden and hedges for a more pleasant view than silos from the fountain spa and gazebo.......

sorry!! just really love my plot.....
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Partially built walls
    Same plot, 3/4 built
    Same plot, 3/4 built, from ground
    Same plot, fully built
    Same plot, fully built, from ground, with character to give perspective of size

Those are all my plot by the way. I say "fully built", but that's only because I've used all the good plot decorations except the hedge (which I'll do eventually). If they put in more fluff items then I'll definitely drop more in. It could really use a flowerbed beside the family graveyard.

EDIT: I took a lot of screenies of my plot at various stages of completion (and day/night pictures too). I thought it would be fun to go back and look at them all later, and I was right!
    Last edited by gopher65; February 17th, 2008 at 02:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gopher65 View Post

Those are all my plot by the way. I say "fully built", but that's only because I've used all the good plot decorations except the hedge (which I'll do eventually). If they put in more fluff items then I'll definitely drop more in. It could really use a flowerbed beside the family graveyard.
    Ahh - that is your plot .. I always stop to have a look whenever I'm passing through because it is so nice to see a plot which is not stacked with 75,000 silos and shops .. very nice

Quote Originally Posted by gopher65 View Post

EDIT: I took a lot of screenies of my plot at various stages of completion (and day/night pictures too). I thought it would be fun to go back and look at them all later, and I was right!
    Wow! That is pretty. I am doing the same thing with my lair. I am putting one of every type of the smaller lair chambers. It may have limited functionality, but it will look nice when it is done. I am also planning a very large library at the bottom with nealy all the library pieces in it. Probably not the most functional lair in Istaria, but it will be asthetic. Here's what the last level in my lair will look like once I dig down there... Hmmm... maybe I'll do this for all the levels so you can get a 3-d map of it ^_^ I'll play with it and see if I can't get it to work.

Have a random build screen

Went ahead and did the whole lair in this format. Not sure if my hack job will help you in any way as some of the levels turned out better than others....

Come have a look at the Piano Forge in Spire's Shadow - pretty nifty layout. Wait a few days and my Hall will be done, deep down...

Quote Originally Posted by Trieah View Post
    I took a few nice ones from my plots. For some reason though, all the tiles in my maze keep changing color to gray, but they're supposed to all be blue.
    That's cool Trieah. I love that maze. I was originally going to do something kinda like that with my plot, but I chickened out after realizing just how hard it would be to align everything. I'm glad that someone had the gumption to go do it.

Thanks Gopher It took me 3 very long days trying to plan that thing out. But I think it really paid off in the end. If you're ever on Order, come over to Izzon Crest and have a go at it. There are 3 entrences (including the scholar shop), 5 dead ends and only one way to get inside the library. And plenty of fall harvest decorations around every corner

A warning for hatchies though, there are a few passages that are too narrow for hatchies to get through. I tried it with one of my hatchie alts one time and wound up having to recall because I got stuck between the walls.

Thankyou so much for all the replies (and the mega file you sent C'Gan). I think I have enough info and screenies for about a dozen articles! Shian - that post of your lair is brilliant, not sure I'll have enough space but I'll grab what I can!

(and a note from Amarie )

I had better knuckle down and get writing, however I have an AD&D session tonight so won't be online either getting my own screenies, or writing.. guess I'm in for some late nights this week!

Ari

Folks are invited to drop by my plot in Cliffside on Chaos. It is a blend of storage and fluff. The most unique feature is a set of human houses combined to look like one large structure.

If ya do 2nd Ed AD&D I made a char generator sheet in Excel once up on a time, where u but in a few things and all the rest is calculated...

Quote Originally Posted by Arietna View Post
    Thankyou so much for all the replies (and the mega file you sent C'Gan). I think I have enough info and screenies for about a dozen articles! Shian - that post of your lair is brilliant, not sure I'll have enough space but I'll grab what I can!

(and a note from Amarie )

I had better knuckle down and get writing, however I have an AD&D session tonight so won't be online either getting my own screenies, or writing.. guess I'm in for some late nights this week!

Ari

Thread Information