Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Food to Remove Death Penalty

Default Food to Remove Death Penalty

I would like to suggest a food that, upon consumption, will reduce or completely remove a death penalty. This food should be consumable only in a tavern, and only once every half hour.

The way i have understood it, the whole reason behind having a death penalty in this sort of game was to prevent a group from simply rezzing dead members and having them continue to plug away at full strength as if nothing happened.
    Linking this new food item to a tavern would still discourage such behavior, as it would require leaving the field of battle to be used, but would allow solo hunters to get back to their hunting after a recall without compromising their ability to play the game.

this is a rough idea ATM, and further suggestions would be appreciated.

flames/insults/upturned-noses are not.

Default Re: Food to Remove Death Penalty

i finally tried eating a meal in a tavern to get rid of dp time. it seems to take forever (i have all the patience of a left-handed froolap; since they don't exist, neither does my patience).

i agree with shur, that we should be able in one short (max 5 min) sitting be able to eliminate one dp, with a minimum timer between dp removals. perhaps as confectioners work with the new recipes, we will discover how to more efficiently capture that energy than we do now?

i found this from amon in another thread:
    Because the system was setup so that you would eat A and by the time you got done with A there was a short delay, but then you could start eating B (Appetizer B, Main B, Side B, Dessert B). And once those four had been completed, you'd be ready to eat A again.
    to me, that means a full meal is two different mains, two different appetizers, two different sides, and two different desserts. i did not realize they had to be different dishes before; i made meals that did not require purchasing ingredients. i do not think there are two different tier VI items of each serving for which you can gather all items in the field, except perhaps if you count rares, and the time to collect the rares (squirrels? took me days to get enough for just 9 servings) is rather prohibitive of doing any other crafting between hunts.

i do not understand the pause between different items (appetizer, main course, side, then dessert) that is not shown on a timer bar anywhere, when we do have a timer for the actual consumption of the serving.

and speaking of sitting, can you add permanent tables/benches to the tavern structure so that we don't have to sit on the floor?

sorry if i sound a bit grumpy, i dc'd at a critical point in the hunt and missed the final big battle, so i'm not my happiest at the moment.
    Last edited by awdz; June 2nd, 2008 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shur View Post
    I would like to suggest a food that, upon consumption, will reduce or completely remove a death penalty. This food should be consumable only in a tavern, and only once every half hour.

The way i have understood it, the whole reason behind having a death penalty in this sort of game was to prevent a group from simply rezzing dead members and having them continue to plug away at full strength as if nothing happened.
    Linking this new food item to a tavern would still discourage such behavior, as it would require leaving the field of battle to be used, but would allow solo hunters to get back to their hunting after a recall without compromising their ability to play the game.

this is a rough idea ATM, and further suggestions would be appreciated.

flames/insults/upturned-noses are not.
    Okay, have the food only able to be eaten in a tavern, but have it remove a full DP or two depending on the tier, but decrease the current eat time to 5 mins. (This means total! wait time conusme time everything!)

That way if someone is in a group, the group isn't disbanded by the time you come back.

Oh come on, you know how it is! One person leaves to go to the bathroom (2 mins) Someone else goes for food (5 mins) If anyone else at that point decides to go AFK, the group is done. Anything more than 5 mins and the group is done. If you stop to eat in the current system the group is done.

You're being subvertly punished for trying to get rid of the DP in the first place!

Without a group, you die more often.

The current system allows me to remove 2 to 3 Death Points in half an hour.
    You'll also note by reading through the reasons for this change was to remove the "insta-DP begone!" idea of ambrosia and give confectioners a reason to be there.

...but would allow solo hunters to get back to their hunting after a recall without compromising their ability to play the game.
    With the current system, the first death is without penalty, and the second and third penalties are pretty minimal, so that by the time you've recalled, buffed and traveled back to your hunting spot, the penalty is gone or nearly gone. It's only after the 4th death that the penalty timer starts to bite.
    You don't have to get rid of all your Death Points to remain an effective solo player, but I'd advise you keep the count low.

In fact, you are giving yourself a penalty by stopping for ten minutes to eat two meals to remove a Death Point if your current Death Penalty is less than 10 minutes.

I understand the reason is to prevent all players from treating the idea of dying lightly.

Rather than come up with ideas that have little or no hope of ever seeing the light of day or that are very non specific, I believe some things you should be concentrating on are as follows: (feel free to add your own)

1. The time it takes to eat the current foods, including the delay after eating
    2. The delay time between meals of the same type.
    3. The amount of time that rare foods reduce your Death Point timer.
    4. The addition of various drinks, to be consumed with a meal, which would further reduce the DP time. This would give 5 time penalty reductions per meal.
    5. ...
    6. ...

yes pls devs- think that over

I hate to make new plans for precious ingame time, cause my mates or me have to care about one more dp

Imho a great way to reduce hte frustration would be to fix it so that 1 single meal (1 Appetizer, Main, Side, and Dessert) should remove a full DP, not 2 or more meals eaten at once. The time it takes to consume and the wait in between should be reduced so that we spend more time playing rather than sitting afk.
    The DP's their selves should also start counting down from the moment we get them rather than restarting after the first is finished.
    For clarification here's how the current system seems to work.
    Lets say Lantua gets the first of 3 dps, at his level its 14 hours.
    30 minutes later he gets his second one and then he gets his third 30 mins after that. All thats rolled off so far is 1 hour for the first.
    With the current system the last DP wont roll off for 41hours( 13 remaining hours of the first+ 14 of the second and 14 of the third). This means that I either dont log in for the better part of 2 days or I spend precious time I dont have afk while I eat off the dps instead of progressing my character.

They way I think it should work would be to have it so after my 3rd dp I'll have lost 1 hour of time on the first and 30 mins on the second. This way I could either wait a total of 15 hours (from the time of the first dp to the time of the last to wear off) for them all to wear off, or I could spend a very short time in a tavern (15-20 mins for 3) to eat them off and be back playing in no time.
    This way the penalty is still stiff, and Im still wasting time in a tavern but its not as much on eaither and Im able to actualy play the game rather than not login at all or login and do nothing for a long period.

The only problem with that "food addition" is this:

All of the other food (Rare and otherwise) would be cast aside by Confectioners as they will only be making 1 food (the DP insta-removal food)

What was the reason for them revamping the system if all confectioners are going to craft, is this new (not in game as of now) food that is being proposed?

It is no different than ambrosia, that one food does it all pick-me-up.

I would agree that perhaps remove the long timers on the present foods, add bonuses for consuming an entire meal to the time reduced, etc. might fit better than a "One food to rule them all"
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Just a thought but throws lv 100 dragons are rather annoyed due to the fact we get slammed with a t 6 penalty and are not able to use t 6 foods to there full effect

IMHO
    This system needs to be rethought, i don't like it.

i try not to die to much, Push my chars limits absolutely.You cant fully learn the combat system if your not able to know your toons Physical limit
    Do i Want to die in game no

supposedly a level 100 dragon should match a rating 175 biped i have not seen this yet i seen a Paly land a 4 k multi strike where my health is only 3003 k still i don't see how ( Unless we get more Ka ability's) we would match up to a fully leveled biped

one last thought be for i go back to packing

this has always bothered me and leading to many death points
    there is a ability that a biped can use at a faily low level and you can effectively stop a dragon dead in his tracks this ability is Mage madoning trick hits on us (how can i say this with out the mods raining down )sorry for the playful poke ) S--w-ed
    Last edited by lightning claw; June 2nd, 2008 at 05:00 PM.
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

I think it would be great to have a food fix even if it had to be in a tavern, maybe to help have it be 101 vs 100 would help dragons, and there is so many neat food out that conf can make I don't think that will be lacking to make stuff. if everyone wore medal armor that would not get rid of outfitter would it. if we all decide that the dp's are to harsh , and no one gets dps anymore would that put conf back out of a "job"?
    OK the old sig was too long , this one is better.

Well, I can assure everyone here that the system will not be removed. It may be tweaked and we may add more foods that do different things, but its here to stay in one form or another.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by lightning claw View Post
    Just a thought but level 100 dragons are rather annoyed due to the fact we get slammed with a t6 penalty and are not able to use t6 foods to their full effect
    Actually, when I tested this on Blight, the foods were adjusted so that a level 100 dragon using tier V foods did receive the full effect vs. the tier 6 penalty. The devs thought of this problem, and took care of it.

Now, if you can show on live that this isn't working, please submit a bug report, because it is intended that this work properly for both bipeds and dragons. My live dragon isn't that high yet so I can't test this on Order.
    Exploring is a necessary skill, and its not like death is fatal. At least, not for the gifted.

takes me a bout a hour to remove 2 points
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Well, I can assure everyone here that the system will not be removed. It may be tweaked and we may add more foods that do different things, but its here to stay in one form or another.
    i can only speak for my self hear and not the community

i am not saying Trash it i am asking for tweaks !

or possibly have waited till the confec are fully stocked up be for putting in the new death point system .

Dragons should have the ability to make there own food its hard enough for us to make coin we should not have to pay a ped

Sorry for the dubbel post but Im would not keep quiet
    *Unsubscribe from thread and packs computer *

Then your doing something wrong. From my understanding eating 4 sets of food 2 sets of 2 different meals should take you about 20 min.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

right on, deth - 2 dps took me 30 minutes - only because i was goofing off and didn't jump right on the 2nd meal........didn't even take me an hour to eat 4 whole meals.......
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

ouch, i think the sarcometer there whipped up so high so fast that i got blown over by its passing!

to reiterate something i have seen happen, perhaps not quite that fast, but still:
    One person leaves to go to the bathroom (2 mins) Someone else goes for food (5 mins) If anyone else at that point decides to go AFK, the group is done. Anything more than 5 mins and the group is done. If you stop to eat in the current system the group is done.
    i agree that folks should not feel obliged to spend a long time sitting in the tavern. i like to be doing something (running into trees/rocks/buildings, getting whomped by gruok/spiders/golems who jump me while i'm harvesting, falling into holes) while chatting, not stuck in one spot.

putting a delay of a half hour between dp removals but shortening the required eating time to do it would mean more effective game time while preventing the insta-elimination of lots of dp's.

It would also be nice if there was food that did not penalize characters with 121+ rating. We should have a product available to us that provides us with a similar benifit as those with a lesser rating.
    Vengeance 100/100/41 Lunus Dragon on Chaos
    79 Million Hoard
    Moregoth the Hunter 278 rating
    28 level 100 adventure classes

So... since the game is tuned to lower ratings than 121+, you could always get rid of some extra classes and bring your rating down to where food would work properly.

Ok, ok. So I'm a dragon stuck with a maximum rating of 100. Take my opinion for however little its worth.
    Exploring is a necessary skill, and its not like death is fatal. At least, not for the gifted.

If your saying that T6 food is not giving full removal then that would be a bug I think. It was my understanding that 101+ is T6 not 101-120.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by lightning claw View Post
    supposedly a level 100 dragon should match a rating 175 biped i have not seen this yet i seen a Paly land a 4 k multi strike where my health is only 3003 k still i don't see how ( Unless we get more Ka ability's) we would match up to a fully leveled biped
    Not true. It is my understanding and from the dev post that a 100 dragons should be equal to a 100 Biped no more no less.

The game does NOT penalize you for being over rating 120. In fact, when it is calculating your rating for purposes of food and DP removal, if you are over 120 it just assumes you are 120.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Thread Information