Thread: Biped Tutorial

Default Biped Tutorial

We've started work on the new Biped Tutorial. I'd like to have you provide suggestions for what you'd like to see in the tutorial in this thread. Here is the general framework:

It is an entirely new setting.
    All non-dragon races go to same location.
    Ryson will be there to greet and provide context/lore.
    There should be a minimum of npcs.
    There will be no tutorial only assets, it will be possible to immediately progress.
    There will be Skalkaar-like quests for training and explanation.
    There will be Blue box text for mechanical descriptions of game interface.
    There will be an Skalkaar-style Encyclopedia. (Encyclopedias will be made available in all racial cities and Tazoon, and their contents expanded.)

Added: Bipeds will be able to return to this location similar to how dragons can return to Skalkaar.
    The trainers on New Trismus will become responsible for training on the specifics of their schools.

I'd like to hear your ideas.

David
    David Bowman

Default Re: Biped Tutorial

I'd like to see crafting trainers explain about lore tokens and bounty markers.
    I'd like to see adventure trainers at least hint about the possibility of the various prestige classes they can lead to.
    I hope we still can do the boom spell (just with regular sandstone).

Would this be a location that the trainee would be able to return to later or do they need to make sure and hit everything before they port off to the 'real' world?

(I'm sure I'll think of more later.)

There needs to be an explanation of how the hot keys work and how to set them up for combat and for crafting. Might be a good idea to explain how a character's skills are calculated for crafting, and how some adventure abilities will transfer over to a new class while others will not.

All level 1 school trainers should be inside the tutorial; IE Mage, Warrior, Cleric, Scout, Monk, Druid, Spiritist, Blacksmith, Outfitter, Scholar, Gatherer, Miner, and Jeweler.

I'll think of more later but this is definately at the top of my list.

Also, once you have figured out the changes going into the way food works, new players need to know how to use it. Lots of people now still don't understand how to get the most benefit out of the food.

imported_Kepesk

Of the NPCs that are there, I'd like to see as wide a mixture of races as possible, and I'd like them offer to give a bit of lore about their race and respective racial city when greeted (along with whatever other information they may offer).

Also, I would like to see a more detailed, step-by-step explanation on how to craft an item. That's one of the more difficult (though more rewarding) things to learn. The dragon tutorial does this fairly well; keep it up. :)

Also, I'd like to see a suggestion go in on when and where to advance to the next area (i.e. newbie isles when the player has become accustomed to basic commands and mechanics, and Sslanis or Kion after 10th rank or so. A new player can get into a whole lot of trouble by exploring the areas around the racial cities randomly) ;)

That's about it for my suggestinos right now!

-Your friendly neighborhood stripey dragon

I'd like to see an NPC that will explain the proper way to use chat channels, and in doing so will direct the new player to the New Player Channel.

Oh, and having perhaps a representative of each race, with a recent history and RP guidance would be good too...
    Death is the ultimate dilemma and integral to the beliefs and behavior of every culture. Life is bore on the corpses of the dead. Without death, there would be no motivation to do anything. The only emotion would be existing. Life would be pestilent and agonizing.

Ssilmath Torshak
    Paladin of Kass, Master Armorsmith

there needs to be some information on spells.

*brief intro to the various spell types (flame, ice, spirit etc) and who uses them.

"Hello there, which magic type would you like to learn about? Flame, Ice, Spirit...
    <clicks on flame>
    Flame spells are cast by all the mage schools. they are usually slow to cast, but do a lot of dmg. if you want to learn flame, you should talk to my friend Larson. He lives in dalimond, and he will set you on the path.... etc

*scribing spells.

*current skill vs. base, and dragging them from knowledge window to bars.

*about spell techs, and how they effect the requirements of spells.
    torvos: shadow/chaos shard (on vacation)
    100 mage/100 wizard/100 sorcerer/100 conjuror
    96 chaos warrior
    100 enchanter & member of the dark council

Explorer 86%, Socializer 46%,
    Killer 40%, Achiever 26%

Ophelea

To keep your NPCs at a minimum have them serve more than one function. Choose to train in Cleric or Warrior; Mage or Scout.

Or...something more complementary....

Cleric or Scholar and explain why it's complementary.
    Warrior and Blacksmith
    Archer and Outfitter

Etc Etc Etc Keeps the NPCs down.

I'd also consider giving out lore tokens as rewards on the tutorial island and having them purchase their first formula. This solves a lot of little nagging issues later. What they are, how do you use them, where do I buy formulas, how do I scribe formulas, where do I find the formula once I've scribed it and how do I make it?

If you limit it to a choice 1-3 formulas but they have to choose what school they get it from - but only one - you can ensure the resources are available and you've given them all they need to know before they leave the island, start wandering and do that "forget" thing that all players do when they hit the world.

Would be nice to see something about how to join player channels, and then walk them through joining a channel they might likely find helpful players on.

This would nice for new Dragons as well, and walk them through joining the Dragon channel.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    - Albert Einstein

I will give my example by telling some of my MINOR biped experience...
    When I created and started crafting with Sslion I noticed I was given 10+ different tools...
    And I had absolutely no idea what to do with them...
    For some of these items I still dont... [:S]

My suggestion is to allow ppl to join a craft school, BUT dont give ALL tools belonging to that school at once...
    Let the biped train in gathering all resources just like dragons (except wisps [:'(])...
    Only let them start with the gathering tool, let them return to the trainer to be given the processing tool in order to process the gathered goods...
    It will make the tutorial a lot longer, but it will give new players a clear explanation about which tool is used for what specific resource or product...

And please DONT forget the wisps like on dragon tutorial...!!! [^o)]

Just my 2c
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

The new palyers should learn something about chat tabs and chat settings. maybe let them create a Chat tab for group chat in tutorial just to learn how to make new tabs and change their settings.
    Enisha Dryad 190/234 Caster (retired)
    Enix Dryad 165/100 Heavy Melee (retired)
    Enigma Dragon 100/92 Helian (retired)

Unity

Just my personal opinion...I never liked those "rooms" with a single level nothing mob for the adventure trainers. Always bugged me.

Like others said, more detail on hotkeys, chat settings/tabs, and prestigue classes.
    Explorer 80%
    Killer 46%
    Achiever 40%
    Socializer 33%

Thread Information