Thread: Can we get an update on the quest editor?

Default Can we get an update on the quest editor?

Just curious what happened to this tool, I've been looking forward to it and it's results for a long time.
    Lumineux Talar

Default Re: Can we get an update on the quest editor?

Last we've heard they still aren't exactly happy with it, but it is being tested and used internally until a better version comes out. I would really never expect it to go live for everyone to use, too much junk will be submitted.

Last I heard some changes needed to be made to how quests are applied to NPC's to make the data entry for submitted quests work better. I wouldn't count it out just yet.
    "We live only ONE REAL DAY, during which we recall false memories of living many more."
    Is it today?
    "No."

Let me see if I can give a quick run-down. The quest editor was thoroughly tested and we've used it to make quests that are now in-game. One thing we realized is that due to the way our system works it was VERY difficult to assign quests to NPCs. There's a lot of work that goes into it, it isnt' something that could be exposed to the players to work with directly so it would have to be done by us for each quest, and it is easy to break other quests in the process. So we set about looking for alternatives to the solution.

Smeglor submitted some new code for us to test to genesis (our internal development server) yesterday that will help us make player quests a reality. So what we have to do now is thoroughly test it by creating content for it before it can go to blight. Kind of a quest-bucket system. [:P]

We're getting closer to player-designed quests. Thank you for your patience.

- Amon
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Answers like that make patience much easier. Nice update!
    ____Kulamata Quality Armor___
    None Genuine without this Pawprint `',''

Achiever 86%, Explorer 60%, Socializer 46%, Killer 6%.

Just realised this still said Ice....oopsie

Quote Originally Posted by Kulamata
    Answers like that make patience much easier. Nice update!
    Felt it was worth saying twice.
    Give Unity the support it deserves!

Vignar

I want to make sure I got how the old system was supposed to work. We set up quests with triggers, dialogue...everything that goes into agood working quest with a program we download. We then submit our quest file to someone for review. If the quest is acceptable it goes to test then to live.

Ok, so the old system didn't work Completely as it was intended. Would it be possible to make it downloadable until the better system is released? Thisway we can make the quests we want, debug them, and know everything we are going to need to do to make a working quest quickly with the new system. Or if the new system is going to take a while, we can still submit but with higher quality requirements to be accepted. That way someexcellent player-made quests can be released and since you guys are recreating itbased on our file, you know how to assign quests to NPCs and other quests shouldn't break.

This could also work if only new NPCs are used right?

Quote Originally Posted by Vignar
    Thisway we can make the quests we want, debug them, and know everything we are going to need to do to make a working quest quickly with the new system.
    That's the kicker, you can't debug your quests. All the quest tool does (from my understanding) is lay out all the triggers, dialog, and simple items needed to make the quest, but does not actually do the data entry work needed to put a quest on an NPC on the internal test server Genesis and have it work. The changes Amon mentioned need to be completed and tested before the whole chain of player-written quests can begin, since Tulga would have a huge backlog of player-written quests to add and no easy way to apply them to NPC's without hours of work.
    "We live only ONE REAL DAY, during which we recall false memories of living many more."
    Is it today?
    "No."

Unfortunately it wouldn't be easier. But we do appreciate your enthusiasm. You can actually be doing some work on your quest now... See, the biggest part of quest-work is writing it out in the first place. I find that it really helps me make a good quest to get it down on paper or in MS Word before-hand.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Thread Information