Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who's your daddy?

Default Re: Who's your daddy?

Quote Originally Posted by PJ

Dragons in any outside lore, story, game, etc are irrelevant. All that matters is Horizons Lore.

The dev's and lore say dragons have genders, so they have genders, whether it be male, female or neuter. That's up to the dragon.

Personally I only call em genderless just to tweak their tails as a joke [img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img] (Dragons tails are easy to tweaked)
    rofl PJ. I think superman would kick Mighty Mouses butt. Then again , its not even a real question of who would win, this is because we all know that only Superman is real. Oh yeah ... someone needs to tell the Dragons about the center of theuniverse thing. They thought we were serious lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Hasia

you may have wings and scales then but if you claim you are nutreal then I can not consider you a dragon. sorry i would be lying if i said it was ok. dragons have gender, it is a given fact. if you have proof of other wise please dotell me were you got your refernce from and ill look into this but so far all the lore on dragons I have seen,est 45 dragon books,est 7games,est 9movies, and many websites. will all show dragons with a gender to them and website and books will even go into how mating and parenting of a dragons lifestyle

ps cant forget those two recent documentrys on dragons that were recently shown on animal planet and histry channel.
    I'm sorry, but I have to vehemently disagree with this standpoint.

I find it actually quite insipid for anyone to be pigeonholed for their beliefs about how FICTIONAL creatures are "supposed to be". Sorry Blue, but in this case, you are WRONG. I've read plenty of stories (and now some very good player-made RP ones) about asexual Dragons, how they became such, and why players choose this route to express their gender/sexuality.

I have also read some very good stories about Dragons who are Hermaphroditic, Parthenogenic, and even some who combine several forms of reproduction into one creature.

I tend to think the reason a great body of fiction exists in which Dragons have the heterogenic "dual" genders is because humans write about what they know and have seen most best. It's the old "go with what you know" deal, and it works, because most of the readers, by default, understand it.

Thus, because it is a "de facto" standard, it DOES NOT MEAN that it is "the only way" Dragons can EVER BE.

Lastly, I want to point out that there are NO FACTS in FICTION. That's the whole point. There could exist 10,000,000,000 works of fiction on male/female gendered Dragons, only ONE on non-male/female gendered Dragons, and neither concept would be more FACTUAL than the other, because they are both STILL FICTION.

Yes, the multiverse is REALLY REALLY big, and there may actually be REAL Dragons living on a planet somewhere, but until we meet them and get to know them, ALL ideas of how they would be are valid, equal, and non-exlusive of all the other possibilities. Further, the multiverse is so big, that we are all probably right and all forms of Dragons exist somewhere, sometime, including ones of which we have yet to dream.

So, put away the close-mindedness, and accept that people who see things differently than you in things of imagination are not wrong or lesser.
    Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

FINALLY someone who can think outside the box!! thank you maltavorn! ..
    *sigh* ..

Dragoniade wrote:

> Everytime where I see such reference as dragon being genderless, canibalist and such degrading book or
    > reference usually come from the following:
    >
    > * A tabloid author who want to make a name of itself by doing a stories making no sense that shock.
    > * A religious thumper who consider dragon to be the source of all evil.
    > * A biped who still believe the Earth is still the center of the universe, that human are the supreme race, and that no other species,
    > and especially not dragon, can be superior to them.
    >
    > So they got to degrad dragon in some way, by making them inferior phycally, or having them dying at the end. And I hate those like it isn't possible.

and later wrote:

> Using D&D to describe Dragons is like using Star Trek to describe Physic
    > When I see them telling a dragon is good or bad only by their scale color, I can't think anything by 'racism'.
    > Black is evil, yellow is good, red is evil....

indeed! kindof like making the value judgement that not having a gender is "inferior phycally".

Blue Hasia wrote:

> You can think as me in RP as a dragon that hunts down these false dragon. so they stop giving us dragons a bad name

ever consider that your RP of overly "amorous" dragon(s) might actually give others a bad impression? .. of course not.

Dhalin wrote:

> With memories erased, he does not know who his parents were, nor does he remember anything about the world he came from.

i still don't recall any official word being posted .. i thought the only post early on was from a fan site regarding gender.
    .. but who cares. people will do as they see fit, and no one is wrong or right, because DRAGONS DON'T REALLY EXIST. i know.. this will come as a shock to some people here...
    and what dhalin said points to a much larger range of possibilities than just "do dragons have genders or not"...
    tympest recently started telling me a bit of her back story, and it's _wonderful_ .. because it allows for an infinite range of beliefs and ideas about dragons.
    but then.. i think that's a key word - "beliefs". like religion, dragons are a very touchy subject with so many.

i just LOVE the implication that dorrin (and for the record, sephiranoth and erato) are inferior or "evil" because we choose to not have a specific (apparent and/or physical) gender. if you think that stories of the like have no value because there isn't going to be any sex in the story, you need to read sephiranoth/peladon's history.

Bhalzamon wrote:

> Oh yeah ... someone needs to tell the Dragons about the center of the universe thing. They thought we were serious lol.

;)

lol [Y] [;)]

It's rather (well, extremely) to be arguing over the 'common' view of dragons in lore and stuff over the internet.

Dragons don't exist on this world, therefore, there is NO right or wrong way for a dragon to be. They can be smart and humanlike, they can be animalistic. There's no right or wrong way, and I definitely think that the word 'racist' is a bad, BAD word to stick onto the commonly held stories that dragons are violent. The word 'racist' only conjures up images of segregation, white supremacy, slavery, the Halocaust, genocide, and all of the other repulsive acts that humans have commited against their brother/sister in history. The word has absolutely no right to be used in reference to an IMAGINARY creature.

Alas, I apologize for that tangent...

Studying the natural history of the Earth, and extrapolating, I've always personally gauged (and drawn) dragons could *probably* be similar in build and/or behavior to dinosaurs. Warm-blooded and active, intelligent, and pretty ruthless.

~Mirsathia

Quote Originally Posted by Mirsathia
    It's rather (well, extremely) to be arguing over the 'common' view of dragons in lore and stuff over the internet.

Dragons don't exist on this world, therefore, there is NO right or wrong way for a dragon to be. They can be smart and humanlike, they can be animalistic. There's no right or wrong way, and I definitely think that the word 'racist' is a bad, BAD word to stick onto the commonly held stories that dragons are violent. The word 'racist' only conjures up images of segregation, white supremacy, slavery, the Halocaust, genocide, and all of the other repulsive acts that humans have commited against their brother/sister in history. The word has absolutely no right to be used in reference to an IMAGINARY creature.

Alas, I apologize for that tangent...

Studying the natural history of the Earth, and extrapolating, I've always personally gauged (and drawn) dragons could *probably* be similar in build and/or behavior to dinosaurs. Warm-blooded and active, intelligent, and pretty ruthless.
    ~Mirsathia
    You're right. And we can all agree that God (the christian, catholic, etc one) is an hermaphrodite, black, fluffy bunny speaking japanese. Since he doesn't exist, who can say I'm wrong? All those "made to our image" we keep hearing are just old age poppycocks after all.
    Dragon Lairs: Istaria's ghetto

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoniade
    You're right. And we can all agree that God (the christian, catholic, etc one) is an hermaphrodite, black, fluffy bunny speaking japanese. Since he doesn't exist, who can say I'm wrong? All those "made to our image" we keep hearing are just old age poppycocks after all.
    Well.. being atheist, I can agree, sure. XD But i'm sure at least some people would try to disagree. ;)

~Mirsathia

In dragon quests in the game itself dragons are refered to as he and she, which makes it pretty obvious how it's intended to be in this game. Example is the ghost dragon at the peak of storm, who is refered to as a she in the AROP quest, or Jynaxis in tazoon that's refered to as a he also in the AROP quest.

But it's a game so everyone can form their own oppinion, as long as they don't enforce them on others.
    Uroloki Chaos (Unity)(ice)

Devs have said dragons have genders .. but the one that annoys me more than whether they are gendered or not is the emote that uses "theirself" ..

surely even a non-gendered dragon would be "itself".

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoniade

All those "made to our image" we keep hearing are just old age poppycocks after all.

Whats a poppycock? lol I'm sorry , I've just never heard of one.

pop·py·cock(pp-kk)
    n. Senseless talk; nonsense.
    [Dutch dialectal pappekak: pap, pap (from Middle Dutch pappe, perhaps from Latin pappa, food) + kak, dung (from kakken, to defecate, from Middle Dutch kacken, from Latin cacre. See kakka- in Indo-European Roots).]
    PersonalJustice the Demon Slayer - Chaos

Master Crafter: 1900 Levels

WTB Undead Legions. Paying $12.95/month

Thread Information