Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hello, after not more than 14 days, goodbye

unsatisfyed

Default hello, after not more than 14 days, goodbye

Although Empire of Istaria is a beautiful game, there is one issue thatI can not live with. Is it the lag that you get in the cities or other visually rich areas? No. Or is itthe many bugs that you find throughout the game you ask? No.

My reason for leaving is basicly the rudeness of the seasoned players.

The first morning after a long download, I logged in (rather excitedI might add) and the very first dragon I directed a question to told me, "Figure it out yourself and quit whining. We all had to figure it out." Well I blew it off and went about my own business.

Later that evening I was reasured that everyone was not like that but over the last weekI have seen very different. I realize that the players that have been here a while know each other and that there are many different groups of friends, but the Dragon channel (on Order) in particular is one of the rudest open public chat channels I have ever experianced. If I tried to RP, what I said was unanswered. If I tried to participate in conversation it was almost likeI was on ignore.

Now not everyone was like this but the majorityof the players thatI encountered seemed like they were not even interested in chatting with a new player. To me this is very sad because it is in the best interest of the game to get new players. But if this is how newbys are treated, I wonder how many people have quit and never said anything.

I have far better things to do with my time than sit in front of my computer and have peopleI dont even know ignore me and make me feel unaccepted. You may say good riddance, but is it really?

Default Re: hello, after not more than 14 days, goodbye

I am very sorry to hear of your experience, as normally Order's Dragon Channel is a very helpful place. What was your in-game name if I might ask?
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

Stormrazor

well I dont know about order but as for chaos I have been playing for 2 days and have lots of help plus everyone has been nice

I am saddend to hear of your experience, but I believe you.

You make a very good point. This game DOES need new players in a big way.
    If order is a problem, then those players have become too self absorbed or too
    jaded.

I personally wish you had come to Chaos. You may not have found as much RP
    to be involved with, but you would have found a much friendlier bunch.

If you like the game, love the idea of being a dragon, Please give it one more shot,
    and come to chaos and try it out. There is the New Player Assistance Channel that
    all, including dragons, can use to learn how to get around and what to do. We sure
    don't consider any question a whine, because we remember going through it all.

I promise, if you'll try Chaos, you won't find the same atmosphere.

As a new dawn rises over Istaria, may we all band together to meet the challenges!

Continuing Development of Horizons... SWEET!

I've no idea when you were on-line, but I have not seen anything like you describe happening in the Dragon channel of late. There are at least 10 hatchies in there during the peak times asking questions that everyone is falling over themselves to help answer. I can assure you what you describe is most certainly the exception and not the rule. However, there is no guarantee that you will find everyone to be helpful. To be sure, there are always a few (even on Chaos, Aamer) who will treat you rudely.

Now, as for being met with silence in any particular channel, it also depends on how many people are present and what time of day it is. There are times when the channels have low populations and/or people in them are busy fighting/crafting, and don't check every few seconds for new messages. I know I have 10 chat tabs open all the time, and sometimes I don't respond for quite a while, especially when in a group hunting.

At any rate, I'm sorry that you've been mistreated and feel that the game is not for you because of it. I do believe that you've probably not given the game (and the Order shard) enough time to really see what it is like most of the time, but that is bound to happen anytime, in any game, on any shard. I'd invite you to try us again for a little longer, even try an alternate shard (Chaos) if you feel better about it.

However, if not, then best of luck to you wherever you may go.

Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

The only instance I've seen in the past several weeks of Order's dragons declining to assist someone was a few days ago when a new player PM'ed most of the high-level dragons (and bipeds, as well) out of the blue asking all of us to powerlevel him. After all declined his PL request, he complained loudly in both Dragon and New Player channels about no one willing to "help" him. *shrugs*
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

unsatisfyed

I did not ask to be PL, nor didI PM anyone.I actually was not even interested in the getting to fly as fast as others were. I was simply there for the game play and the meeting new people thing. But how can you meet new people when the chat is active(people actually chatting or RPing), and your hellos and attempts at basic friendly conversation or trying to establish a role for yourself go unnoticed because you are not a familiar name that fits into the clique.

PerhapsI will give Chaos a try..a larger community may be a better choice.

I'd suggest joining the New Player Assistance chat channel right off, and dragon, if you decide to play one. The vast majority of the time, your questions will be answered almost immediatly. Now, people do go AFK and sometimes it might be a few minutes before you get an answer. Remain calm and say 'please' and 'thank you' and most folks will be happy to help you get started.

There is a dragon RP channel on Chaos, BTW.... [;)]
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Pharcellus
    To be sure, there are always a few (even on Chaos, Aamer) who will treat you rudely.
    Yes, but we have them isolated in Marketplace and regularly spray NPA with Raid Troll-B-Gone.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

N'allii

Well, I'm in dragon and newplayer most of the time. It would be good if you posted your character name, so I could help out if you returned ;)

Stormrazor

thats STORMRAZOR hehe at least my dragons name hehe

probably this is the right place to say sorry, even though Iam not on your server. I felt pretty grumpy the past days because I felt frustrated about the tiny size of my ancient ( or not ) dragon. I may have scared a few newbs away with that even though Iam otherwise very helpful, Iam sorry if that was the case [:(]

Stormrazor

oh you little evil dragon hehe

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Quote Originally Posted by unsatisfyed
    Now not everyone was like this but the majorityof the players thatI encountered seemed like they were not even interested in chatting with a new player. To me this is very sad because it is in the best interest of the game to get new players. But if this is how newbys are treated, I wonder how many people have quit and never said anything.

I have far better things to do with my time than sit in front of my computer and have peopleI dont even know ignore me and make me feel unaccepted. You may say good riddance, but is it really?
    Hmmm. That's an oddity indeed. However, if you can withhold judgement on all of us a bit longer, there are a few more channels I could personally suggest:

KCEFriends. KCE is a dragon-only guild that maintains a couple channels. This is one of them for both dragons and bipeds alike.
    Community. Sort of a community get-together room. More often than not, it has a moderate number of people there.
    Order Alliance. Another helpful group of people, all very dedicated to the community in their own ways. (As an aside, both Tantalyr and I are regular members of this one, so you must please forgive the bias).
    New Player. A great place for finding help starting out.
    Dragon. Even though you've had problems here, I will still suggest it. If you can, might I suggest talking with Starlight, the sage Saris of the channel. I've seen very few dragons yet who will cross her.

And, if all else fails, might I suggest finding a guild in the Guilds section of this forum that appeals to you. From what I've seen, guilds posted there especially recently have been growing due to the influx of new and returning players. It's unlikely they'd be so rude to another new player.

You'll have to pardon me if I don't want to let you slip through the cracks that easily on bad experiences.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Stormrazor

hehe I just must be lucky since I always get help anytime I log on

New Player. What ended up happening?

unsatisfyed

well i created a dragon on chaos, was invited to a guild, and have made some friends. all within one week of creating the new character. so i guess i found a place for me..originally i found this game through the Kier Chet web site, it was the rp and close community that really drew me in. i still have my dragon on order and i work on her from time to time, and i have gone in to the KCE friends chat(was very nice) but i dont know how comfortable ill feel on Order..that first week was harsh and i still have a bad taste in my mouth from it.

Niedje

If you decide to stay on Chaos - the Dragon and New Player Assistance channels are normally very helpful.

I imagine that they are on Order too - not sure what happened there. Hopefully we can chalk it up to isolated incidents and move forward.

Glad to hear that you've given the game another try - I think you'll find that it is not all like (or even normally like) your first experience.

I'm always logged in to the Dragon and New Player Assistance channels on Chaos - but if I'm somehow distracted (hunting or something) feel free to send me a tell and I'll try to answer any questions you have.

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Quote Originally Posted by unsatisfyed
    well i created a dragon on chaos, was invited to a guild, and have made some friends. all within one week of creating the new character. so i guess i found a place for me..originally i found this game through the Kier Chet web site, it was the rp and close community that really drew me in. i still have my dragon on order and i work on her from time to time, and i have gone in to the KCE friends chat(was very nice) but i dont know how comfortable ill feel on Order..that first week was harsh and i still have a bad taste in my mouth from it.

Niedje
    In time, I'm hoping we can get rid of that bad taste and you'll feel better about being around those of us on Order. Please, don't judge us all based on only what you've seen thus far.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

actually what someone else mentioned I know I've been guilty of..

Realizing that a number of adult, ancient, or "older" (been in game loinger) seasoned dragon players right now are a bit bitter and angry at Tulga and the whole Ancient thing...

and then someone in dragon chat will bring it up, or bring something up that the commuinty has a beef with..

and before long its a really bitter and pissed off population talking about what irks them about the game or Tulga in the chat...and those of us caught up in such conversations (I know I've done it several times) can tend to ignore those not involved in said conversation (operating on the idea that everyone stnading in the room isn't talking abou thte same thing...and we're blahblabhlahing it on this topic), and then don't realize/recognize/notice that noeone else might be assisting the person trying to get help...

It happens - and it sucks that was your experience enough to make you want to quit the game. I hope you find fun wethe ron Chaos or ORder, though being biased and there the night you dropped by to our room - I hope you will see fit to possibly play on Both Shards :).

I'd certainly like to see ya around again and hopefully change the impression of us order dragons ;).

Thread Information