Thread: Dragon Lairs

Fiko

Default Dragon Lairs

While I am as excited as the rest of Istaria about the long awaited dragon lairs becoming avaliable to the community, a certain scenario has played out in my mind and made me worry about some dragons being able to aquire the lairs they want from the auction. I'll see if I can point out this potential problem so that it might be less apt to happen.

Example: Player A who primarily plays a biped wants to aquire a lair forthier alternate and less frequently playeddragon. So they work very hard at raising funds for the auction, possibly even aquiring a second CD key so they don't have to lose thier hard worked for biped plot. Auction comes arround and Player A decided to bid on what they believe to be a "less desirable" lair so as to not interfere with the full time dragons aquiring the lairs they want.

Player B who plays a dragon primarily and has been arround for a couple years, but due to limited play time has never aquired much wealth. Player Bknows they can't compete with the wealthier dragon community and decides to find a nice lair that would seem to be more within thier reach and ends up bidding on the same lair as Player A.

Both people have Every Right to own a lair. Whomever wins is the one willing to pay more for it. The thing that bugs me though is this. Player A probaby just wants to construct one more from curiosity than from a real desire to live there, but due to play time has more coin to spend over Player B, who would enjoy the lair just as much and even more so in some ways due to thier long experience as a dragon.

I would hate to see Any full time dragon (those with more play hours on dragon vs thier bipeds) miss out on a new home due to this type of situation. Everyone has a right to a lair if they want one, it just seems like a slap in the face to the full time dragon player for the part time dragon player to screw them out of the lair they really wanted. Not all dragons are rich, but those that are rich tend to be extremely rich.

On behalf of the dragon community I would like to request that all part time dragons hold off until a week after the auctions before shopping for thier lairs. It will give our lovable full time dragons the chance to get settled in where they want to be, and there will be plenty of lairs left over.

Fiko
    *licks kumu's wings* mmmm....sugar drake

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Default Re: Dragon Lairs

While I agree on your sentiments, Fiko, I would also like to point out one thing. As the higher coin dragons are removed from the lair equation, the lower coin dragons BECOME the higher ones in the process.

My suggestions would be to bid what you are willing to pay for the lair, given we have the exact For Sale prices in hand already, and to bid on multiple lairs you deem of interest. There is no need to spend 600+g on a lair that is 600s. But, if those who have that kind of money really want to bankrupt themselves, have at it. Also, keep in mind that once a dragon is an owner, all other bids by that dragon are removed.

By example, when Obsidian Order won Nong for just over 3g, if I recall, we had bid on all guild plots from the largest (Tavu) down to one we knew would JUST fit our current active membership at the time (Sakon). We knew we weren't the biggest guild and we weren't the smallest guild. As our bids clicked down, we kept our hopes up because as our people were doing bidding, we ran into other guilds also bidding on the same plot at the exact same time. As the plots were won, we actually became more excited with the competition dwindling RAPIDLY. Our ideal at the time was Pangai (Dwarvenholt holds it) and we were somewhat let down, but when my name was announced on Nong (one bridge away to the west), the whole effort of having gone and bid at all those different plots paid off.

And though Obsidian Order has since sold Nong to The Iron Circle so we could get our plots in Acul, the memories of that auction still get me excited.

I wish all Order Shard's dragons good luck and happy homes!
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Fiko

I see your point C`gan. In my example, Player B, the full time dragon, would be able to get a lair with careful bidding. Still doesn't change the fact that Player A, the biped with alt dragon, is going to cloud the auctions with thier own bidding, and in all likelyhood will just create the all too common "scaffolding farm" except it'll be dragon flavored. I don't play a dragon. I don't even have a dragon alt. I can still see many ways for bipeds with dragon alts to cause alot of greif to hopeful full-time dragons by participating in the auction instead of just waiting a couple weeks for them to be over. Would probably save them some cash by doing so anyway.

Fiko

Fiko, a few players (well maybe me only) wanted other criteria besides coin to decide on lair plots - hoard, time as a dragon . . . . - anything so that Player A muling coin to his/her dragon alt would be less of a factor for long-denied content to dragon players.

Not to be.

While it is unfortunate, I can see TulgAE's stance - their game mechanics only allow coin bids and it would take effort to make a "bid coin" based on more appropriate measures, such as factoring in lore.
    Jaraiden -- Adult dragon, life mate of Shadowwalker, bonded 7/31/04 (Dawn --> Order)
    Adult 73/82 | hatchling 56/65 (70.8 days) [3/9/04 to 3/4/05, 4/12/06 to 4/13/07, Current]

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is incomplete. -- 3. Add to complement lore.

Thread Information