Thread: Name that person

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Default Name that person

I was talking with my guildleader about this, so it has probably been brought up by others elsewhere.

Once a structure with either trainer, consigner, or pawn broker has been built, could there be a way to actually NAME the person spawned to give the feeling of community a bit more, rather than only having their job title float above their heads?
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Default Re: Name that person

Am I the only one that thinks it'd be a good idea to have the player-built structures' residents (trainers, consigners, pawn brokers) have actual names?
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

I'd like it - as long as there was a fast review process for names that are inappropriate or violate the TOS...
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Is a good idea, actual names vs. "Consigner" or "Pawnbroker" and such.

It may be on their priority list as they would need to add that functionality along with an algorithm to check names. Don't want "IbuysStuff" or other silly names.

What did they say on your Suggestion support ticket?
    Jaraiden -- Adult dragon, life mate of Shadowwalker, bonded 7/31/04 (Dawn --> Order)
    Adult 73/82 | hatchling 56/65 (70.8 days) [3/9/04 to 3/4/05, 4/12/06 to 4/13/07, Current]

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is incomplete. -- 3. Add to complement lore.

Yes I would like names for them too.

Either player supplied or supplied by the worldmaster, it would be better
    than just Pawnbroker/consigner/tavern keeper/vaultkeeper, etc

A random name generator would be excellent for this. Have the name generator a part of the UI. Selecting, right clicking on an NPC on your plot that you wish to name, and choosing an entry from the drop down box (in this case would be Generate Name or some such) would bring up a name generating window that lets you generate names until you come up with one you like most (very like EQs name generator during character creation) and apply it to the NPC chosen.

At least with a random generator there would be no chance of 1) having a dupe name as names chosen would be removed from the generator list, and 2) you avoid stupid names like Ibuystuff etc.

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingOtter
    I'd like it - as long as there was a fast review process for names that are inappropriate or violate the TOS...
    What, you don't think Buymyhotstuff or Myownlewtmule are appropriate names for a consignor? Geez, what's wrong with you?

[D]

lise

i'd give it, what, 12 minutes before someone names their consigner "EBay"

Great idea, but I share the same reservations. There has been little if any RP name enforcement on Order and it'sformer shards;even though it was claimed that there would be and many character names have violated nameing guidelines...

Best way incorporate your idea into the game and avoid the potenial issue all together is to have the process added to the support site and require players to submit for the name. If properly set up, it shouldn't take a tech more than 15secs to review the name and click an approval link which could do the name change automatically during the next maintanance[ defaulting to oldest un named npc of typeif more than 1 is built on that plot ]. It would take 1-2 weeks to get your name on your npc, but IMO that's better than the alternatives such as inapropriate names or a random name generator.

Its a great Idea.
    And I think Snowdonia offers a perfect solution for annoying names, a name generator.
    Dont allow peopleto make up a name for npc's.
    Get the map pack here - Get the REAL ancient models here!
    Get White Teeth and Claws for your Dragon here!

100/100 Ancient Dragon, member of the first group of 8 to ascend to ancient on Unity.
    This sig was designed for Firefox (stupid IE still can't handle png )
    www.AncientOrder.org

Thread Information