Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Level the Playing Field

Default Re: Level the Playing Field

If there was ever a complete wipe of servers.............

gah!

Quote Originally Posted by Helcat
    it's called launching a new game...

get a clue. no mmorpg is going to do a complete wipe.

good lord.

Speaking frankly, I am not sure that TG putting out a new game would result in anything more than 2 games, of probably 6 servers, all with barely any people on them. And you couldnt be more wrong Helcat. EVERY mmorpg does a wipe when they get done with beta. We are "living" in beta testing and thats not disputable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarran of Chaos
    [img]/Web/Themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif[/img]Helcat wrote:it's called launching a new game...

get a clue. no mmorpg is going to do a complete wipe.

good lord.

Speaking frankly, I am not sure that TG putting out a new game would result in anything more than 2 games, of probably 6 servers, all with barely any people on them. And you couldnt be more wrong Helcat. EVERY mmorpg does a wipe when they get done with beta. We are "living" in beta testing and thats not disputable.
    well, that is another topic entirely isn't it...
    Got Cowbell?

[:D]

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie
    There have been alot of changes being made in the game. Many players feel that these changes are giving the upper hand to the experienced players who were able to level their characters too easily (before the changes) and these improvementsareeffectively preventing new players from attaining suchuber status thusallowing the veteran players to secure their position as the few dominant figures in the game.
    Wether their complaints are sound or not, I call for a world-wide restart. Horizons should erase all classes from all characters, and take all plots and money from everyone. The changes made have been drastic enough to create an unlevel playing field. I say level it.Everyone who says these changes are great surely would not mind going through them and earning their levels like everyone else and then the new players can't complain that the older players reached their high levels unfairly. If Horizons believes that what they are doing is good for all then make it pertain to all.
    Very very very bad idea. [I]It would break my heart [U]
    Fleshrend - Chaos Server
    94 Cleric 12 Warrior 10 monk 8 mage
    100 Blacksmith 100 Mason 91 tinkerer 100 Carpenter 100 Fitter 80 Scholar 73 spellcrafter 41 gatherer 49 Miner

If a newbie came to the game now he would not know how us vets remembered the game if any1 got hurt by the changes it would b the vets like me and others but we adapt to those changes newbies coming into the land will know this as it is now as thier world not wot we used to know all those months/years ago. So newbies having a rough deal? i dont think so personally the world as it is is more highly evolved than wen i joined. Sure there has been some changes we didnt want but we just gotta live with it and move on after all in the real world htings change like currency etc and iknow the comment "but we arnt in the real world" will come up but comparing a game world to real world is something that i do thing is with the real world u cant rele say im gonna quit this and move to another. You just gotta move on and adapt to new things

Quote Originally Posted by Doombreak
    If a newbie came to the game now he would not know how us vets remembered the game if any1 got hurt by the changes it would b the vets like me and others but we adapt to those changes newbies coming into the land will know this as it is now as thier world not wot we used to know all those months/years ago. So newbies having a rough deal? i dont think so personally the world as it is is more highly evolved than wen i joined. Sure there has been some changes we didnt want but we just gotta live with it and move on after all in the real world htings change like currency etc and iknow the comment "but we arnt in the real world" will come up but comparing a game world to real world is something that i do thing is with the real world u cant rele say im gonna quit this and move to another. You just gotta move on and adapt to new things
    The land of Istaria for you was a picnic dude. You could level from 1 to 100 in a week on your first class. You maxed your blacksmith with just mithril bars, you made a fortune pbing gems, etc etc. You fear the change because you dont want to do the hard way what you did the easy way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie
    There have been alot of changes being made in the game. Many players feel that these changes are giving the upper hand to the experienced players who were able to level their characters too easily (before the changes) and these improvementsareeffectively preventing new players from attaining suchuber status thusallowing the veteran players to secure their position as the few dominant figures in the game.
    Wether their complaints are sound or not, I call for a world-wide restart. Horizons should erase all classes from all characters, and take all plots and money from everyone. The changes made have been drastic enough to create an unlevel playing field. I say level it.Everyone who says these changes are great surely would not mind going through them and earning their levels like everyone else and then the new players can't complain that the older players reached their high levels unfairly. If Horizons believes that what they are doing is good for all then make it pertain to all.
    Can I get an AMEN from the church!

Well I certainly didn't have it easier with my dragon, with the Hoard Leak, weak dragon abilities and lack of mobs to kill of appropriate level (wolves got old real quick). So if they wipe the servers, they should force you to kill nothing but level 55-60 wolves for your next several level 100 classes like we had to with our bipeds.

Not to mention I had to spend 1 out of every 4 hours in game cutting gems just to keep my hoard at its current level.

Just because you werent here during the begining, don't assume it was easier.

Leviathan (formerly known as "Skald")
    100 ADV / 100 DCRA / 95 LSH Ancient Lunus Dragon (Order Shard)
    67 million Hoard...and rising!

"I kill where I wish and none dare resist...my armor is like tenfold shields, my teeth are swords, my claws spears, the shock of my tail a thunderbolt, my wings a hurricane, and my breath death!" - Smaug the Mighty

[img]/Web/Themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif[/img]Ollie wrote:There have been alot of changes being made in the game. Many players feel that these changes are giving the upper hand to the experienced players who were able to level their characters too easily (before the changes) and these improvementsareeffectively preventing new players from attaining suchuber status thusallowing the veteran players to secure their position as the few dominant figures in the game.

Can I get an AMEN from the church!
    seeing as certain newbies want a shard wipe in the interest of
    "Leveling the Playing Field" ... which one of you wants to refund
    all of the money we vets paid for the original boxed game,
    seeing as you downloaded the client for free... in the interest
    of a level playing field....

Hello?

Hello?
    Got Cowbell?

Viceroyx

Those of you who dont remember the ol'days shouldn't speak so hastily about how easy the old days were.

Let me remind you..try getting to lvl 100 or even past lvl 100 (second, third class) with the highest mob in game..being a lvl 80 marrow (great xp right?), and your best weapon armor..being T4 with T3 techs. That wasn't fun.

It took many, many, many months/hours to get my first 100. Conversely, I started a dragon the other day, and got to 100 virtually overnight, it was ridiculously easy in the current environment.. I could do my last few lvls at purple flies, getting 40xp per (fighting over 20lvls above me) in about 15-20mins per lvl. This compares to killing about 200 marrows in the old days for 1 lvl, over a time period of 4 hours.

It's simply hard because the class you chose it's not particularly storng, or you simply dont really know what you're doing..since it is your first 100.

Those are my thoughts,

Viceroyx

P.S. to those of you who signed up late and are having trouble catching up.. (1) it's not a competion, win in the real world, not in a game. (2) next time, sign-up earlier.

PS2 Those of you getting PL'd by uber peds might find the current environement awfully tough? U know why--when they did it, no was nerfing there xp with a 200 rating.

The land of Istaria for you was a picnic dude. You could level from 1 to 100 in a week on your first class. You maxed your blacksmith with just mithril bars, you made a fortune pbing gems, etc etc. You fear the change because you dont want to do the hard way what you did the easy way.
    So, where were you when the highest level mob as a Marrow, and the highest level resource was tier IV? We had it so easy when most people would take close to a year to get a single level 100, when the highest tier of techs was tier III. It was a picnic when there were no trophies, no Nadia, when having 1 Gold was a lot, when your "Kill 30 Gold Golems" quest had been completed 100 times and you still weren't above level 70...

Oh yeah, we had it easy. Those of us who reached level 90 or 100 craft with tier IV resources had it way way to easy. Those of us who reached our third level 100 with no power leveling and nothing but wolves to kill (Marrows were immune to damage if you didn't have levels of mage for elemental attacks). Dragons who barely had any hoard, who were level 100 before even being an adult because there was no RoP.

The changes you listed above happened very recently. I have over 1 year and a half of time on Ssilmath, and now because a newbie isn't as powerful as me, my work means nothing. Heh, that'll go over like a wet fart in church. Even if everything was fixed and HZ was a perfect game, I would not want a complete wipe. I'd probably stop playing altogether, because a year and a half is a long time to work on something only to have it taken away because someone who hasn't been playing nearly as long thinks you are more powerful than they are. Pfeh...
    Death is the ultimate dilemma and integral to the beliefs and behavior of every culture. Life is bore on the corpses of the dead. Without death, there would be no motivation to do anything. The only emotion would be existing. Life would be pestilent and agonizing.

Ssilmath Torshak
    Paladin of Kass, Master Armorsmith

You know...I have to completely disagree with Tarran/Ollie

New players have it MUCH easier now then when I started. Resources are apparant, the map loads in less than 3 minutes. There's a road bonus (in most places). Several cargo disks tailored to crafting style. NPCs that sell gear at 4 am when no one else is awake. Weapon tricking and dyeing. Armor dyeing. New tutorials and NPCs are more informative. Quests are more readily available and easier to find (Kion militia anyone). Mobs that go above t3!! No hoard leak, hoard loot drops, trophies!! Flight. Less lag. Plots for more than the chosen few.

Yes by being in game longer, veterans do have more advantages. But don't assume that just because things are different now then they were at game start, that game start was easier.

And remember, this is PvE not PvP you don't need a level playing field to play the game.

And to your fireworks comment Tarran, I didn't use them because it felt like an exploit. A lot of dragons didn't use them. I play the game to play, not to be uber and then bored.

I spent two years getting to 100/100 on my dragon. Working in community projects and fighting off raids. Don't belittle my efforts because you chose to make an easy character.
    Gliding Frost
    Dark Defenders
    Adult May 16, 2004
    Ancient October 2005

Does Tarran even play anymore? I thought he quit.

Anyway, bad idea. HZ has been seeing some growth in numbers lately. At some point hopefully a new server will be added. At that time you can go play on that server with a level playing field. Until then accept the fact that life isn't always how you would like it to be.

One persons interpretation of "Fair" is not necessarily anothers. So what you may consider fair, really is only fair from your viewpoint. To a Poor person, redistribution of wealth is fair. But to the person who earned that money by working hard, it is hardly fair.

So before you try to impose what's "Fair", you really have to understand that nothing is fair, it's only fair for a certain viewpoint.

Leviathan (formerly known as "Skald")
    100 ADV / 100 DCRA / 95 LSH Ancient Lunus Dragon (Order Shard)
    67 million Hoard...and rising!

"I kill where I wish and none dare resist...my armor is like tenfold shields, my teeth are swords, my claws spears, the shock of my tail a thunderbolt, my wings a hurricane, and my breath death!" - Smaug the Mighty

I think 'wipe the servers and start everyone over at ZERO' has to be among the top 2 most asinine comments I've ever seen on these forums. You want to start over at Zero fine. Delete your character and go for it. Nobody is stopping you. It took me 2 years of steady playing (around my actual real life) to get to 100 adventurer and 100 crafter. Have you two lost your minds or are you just having a bad day?

You don't know what you are talking about.

As a dragon it took me 5 to 6 months to get to level 100. For bipeds, the fastest leveling one I saw took 2.5 to 3 months for thier first level 100.

Default A modest proposal...

Even wiping the entire game isn't fair enough. We need to go further to make everything fair.

Existing players must have the section of their brains that contain their knowledge of how to play Horizons removed.

Since people with higher incomes can afford better systems, high-speed connections, multiple accounts and multiple computers, signing up for a Horizons account now constitutes consent to having all extra income, bandwidth, and computer systems garnished and re-distributed to needy players.

Time must also be apportioned fairly. Henceforth, all logins will be limited to the average playingtime available to a stay-at-home/work-at-home mother, resulting in automatic logoffs after 5-15 minutes of play and mandatory "child aggro" blackouts where login is impossible. T6 named mobs will have a .0001% chance to drop a Crystal of Babysitting, which allows four hours of uninterrupted login time when used.

Finally,guild membership is hereby considered an exploit. All players will beautojoined into a single guildwhich itself has only one rank. All players will be required to refer to one another as "Comrade" as a community-building gesture. Every 24 hours, allXP and cash gained by all members of the guild will beremoved and re-destributed to all characters, active and inactive, in order to promote egalitarian levelling.

After all, fair is fair....
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Default Re: A modest proposal...

Hmm, if we're going to wipe all characters so that we veterans who had just a "picnic" of a time leveling our characters are on a supposedly level playing field with brand new players, then shouldn't we also (a) return Feladan to its blighted pre-event state, (b) removed Dryad Island and all dryads from Istaria, (c) remove all Satyrs from the game, and (d) return all resource fields processing centers to their prior collapsed condition? After all, we veterans built all those structures, and freed all those races, while we were "waltzing" through our "easy" levels . . . .
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

Come to think of it, armor, weapons, and racial abilities make things unfair. Organic and inorganic craft skills create unfairness based on resource availability. A new resource, one that combines organic and inorganic resources in equal amounts, must replace all resources, and capped at T1.

Therefor, all players shall be naked, unarmed, and have only mud to craft with.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

And the devs must grant exactly 200 xp for each and every beastie slain, regardless of the type or rating of each beastie. And cap the maximum xp gained each 24-hour period at 5000. We mustn't let those who have more time to play Horizons level unbearably faster than anyone else . . . .
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

Thread Information