Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lair Plans: I'll show you mine if you show me yours! Or... How do I do this?!

Default Lair Plans: I'll show you mine if you show me yours! Or... How do I do this?!

So who has started planning their lair? I've found that a bit of graph paper and Tympest's diagrams to be a great help. (thanks for making that!)

Why paper first? It's easier to "erase" chambers, and you can lay them out in any order. The paper layout doesn't disappear when your CTD either.

From the looks of things, we'll need a collection of maps for everyone's lair at some point. Ugh. Already got lost in mine once.

Tympest's Lair Pieces:
    http://community.istaria.com/Web/Sho...?PostID=109504

Graph Paper:
    http://www.incompetech.com/beta/line...per/plain.html

My layout:
    http://www.sanguine-embrace.net/rans...s-lair-2_2.jpg

You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Default Re: Lair Plans: I'll show you mine if you show me yours! Or... How do I do this?!

I got a guild lair in Tavu so my lvl 0 is really to small to put anything of importance. So there is just a slope. lvl 1 however will be my storage floor. It has a hall and then 8 storage chambers. I'm pretty much planing to make the hall and then a quick storage chamber then use that to keep all my resources for the rest of the lair. Lvl 2 hasn't been planned yet, save for the bottom floor of the existing hall. I plan for this to be all the tier 1 workshops. Being bound to my hall will make it easy to go between the two floors.

Pretty much that's all I got. I am going to save the remaining lvls to upgrade to higher tiers as my lairshaping gets higher.

And like a dork I didn't take any pics

Telpeloci

Default Re: Lair Plans: I'll show you mine if you show me yours! Or... How do I do this?!

Quote Originally Posted by Kumu Honua
    I'm going to wait a bit. David said in IRC that the artist has some new spirals that will allow for 90 degree turns as well as exiting the same direction you enter.
    Didn't know about that. Was still debating whether I should hold off on planning for a while or not, but that settles it. :)

so... march?

Been trying to incorporate a grand hall. I got a 96x120x168 because the grand hall is 96x96x96. But so far I haven't been able to adapt it into my plans. I know I can't put on level 0, but don't seem to be able to put it on any other level either. Any suggestions?
    100 Adventure/Crafter following the path of Helian

Expert Lairshaper
    Grand hall complete.

open spiral down, bend (or 3-way), grand hall _should_ work.. but i'm guessing you tried that already

yeah, the entrance is on the very edge in the corner. So first I tried a 3 way with a spiral down then a bend on it....no go. Tried wrapping around all the way to the top edge so that a bend was in the upper corner. I think while a grand hall should fit in a 96 dimension the way the doors are setup the bends and passages won't line up. Where in a 120x120 there is enough extra space the hall can line up with the bends/passages.

Expert Lairshaper
    Grand hall complete.

If possible I'd like to avoid having all my guests (yea right) enter through the storage area. It turns out that on my lair plot I can connect a tier 2 lair directly to the first attach point off the foyer to make a nicer entry way then some 3- or 4- way intersection. Off one exit of the lairI'm thinking about initially making a bunch of tier 1 silos with access corridors and then off the other a bunch of tier 2 workshops.

Once the workshops are all done I'll deconstruct some of the silos and access corridors, build a tier 3 hall, and then rebuild even more silos on level 1off one of the lower exits of the hall. I can use the novians recovered from the deconstructed silos to help speed that phase of construction. The hall will act as both a nexus on levels 0 and 1 as well as the way of moving between levels 0 and 1. I think even a lowly tier 2 hall is much classier then a spiral. Thus by the time I've reached level 2 I'll have low tier storage and all the workshops and my higher level areas will be fairly straightforward to navigate. In addition I'll have a shrine (hall)and a fair amount of general storage (lair and hall). Since none of it goes over tier 2 I'm hoping I can have it done fairly quickly by my slow standards. It won't be uber but it'll provide enough functionality to hopefully make further construction easier.

The tier 2 workshops will loop around the hall/silos providing a circular pathway passing through the workshops and the hall/silos.(I've checked it, it fits). Thiswould allowme to first delete the silos, to make room for the hall (once the hall is built the circular pathway will be restored), andlater todelete the workshops and put something else in instead once I've made higher tier workshops farther down. Connectivity would be maintained at all times thanks to that circular pathway. Farther down I plan to have more storage, a tier 5 hall, a tier 5 lair, and higher tier workshops thus making those tier 2 workshops redudant. At that point I may deconstruct them and put in something else, I'll be able to do it because now the hall will provide connectivity.

I see two potential downside of this approach.

1. I'll be building some tier 1 corridors and storage areas just to deconstruct them. Novians allow me to recover most of my work but some will be lost. Right now I'm of the opinion that it's extra work well spent but it does add work.

2.I'll be building the hall with fairly limited onsite storage --one or two tier 1 storage areas and one tier 2 storage area whichI didn't have to deconstruct to make room forthe hall. I'll also have what I can store in the lair. Although I'll have tier 1 novians to help I was wondering if it would still be amajor pain in the tail. Right now my feeling is the results will be worth it.

Anyway, that's where my planning is right now. I intend to take this slow and careful. It's a lot easier to change my mind now while it's in the planning stage, then later once parts of it are built.

Quote Originally Posted by Arekaine

I got a guild lair in Tavu so my lvl 0 is really to small to put anything of importance. So there is just a slope. lvl 1 however will be my storage floor. It has a hall and then 8 storage chambers. I'm pretty much planing to make the hall and then a quick storage chamber then use that to keep all my resources for the rest of the lair. Lvl 2 hasn't been planned yet, save for the bottom floor of the existing hall. I plan for this to be all the tier 1 workshops. Being bound to my hall will make it easy to go between the two floors.

Pretty much that's all I got. I am going to save the remaining lvls to upgrade to higher tiers as my lairshaping gets higher.

You might want to check where your guild lair actually is, cos it sure isn't at Tavu. I almost had a heart attack when I read this as my guild owns Tavu and I bought the last guild lair before I logged out last night. I thought somehow my ownership had been cancelled and you'd bought my lair. I logged in and checked and all 3 lairs at Tavu belong to the people they are supposed to belong to.

I'm assuming you port to Tavu to get to your guild's community. Carmo and Grandis are close to us, and there's another over the mountain behind us, can't think of the name sorry.
    Hope you find out where you live soon [:P]
    Guildmaster of The Alliance
    http://The-Alliance.cjb.net

Keep in mind there are three Tavu's. One each on Chaos, Order, and Blight.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    - Albert Einstein

I was planning on having a spiral into my grand hall on level 1, from those doors you could go up to layer 0 for the stuff there or go down to other things, if I had gone with a 120x120x144 that wouldn't have been a problem.

Expert Lairshaper
    Grand hall complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyssa
    [img]/Web/Themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif[/img]Arekaine wrote:

You might want to check where your guild lair actually is, cos it sure isn't at Tavu. I almost had a heart attack when I read this as my guild owns Tavu and I bought the last guild lair before I logged out last night. I thought somehow my ownership had been cancelled and you'd bought my lair. I logged in and checked and all 3 lairs at Tavu belong to the people they are supposed to belong to.

I'm assuming you port to Tavu to get to your guild's community. Carmo and Grandis are close to us, and there's another over the mountain behind us, can't think of the name sorry.
    Hope you find out where you live soon [img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]

I think I've seen her name listed in Order shard's Tavu. *Waves to Arekaine, her neighbor to the south.* [ip]

Nellie Lovett/Ochre Tekton
    of Azure Twilight in Carmo on Order
    English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over & goes through their pockets for loose grammar. -=Paraphased from James Nicoll=- Unicorn's Lady's Dalliance

Quote Originally Posted by Kumu Honua
    I'm going to wait a bit. David said in IRC that the artist has some new spirals that will allow for 90 degree turns as well as exiting the same direction you enter.

Lvl 1 Lvl 2

--X --X

--X X
    |

Those will be extremely valuable to my plans.
    I hope David is going to rework the Lair silos aslong that 90 degre spiral.
    Dragon Lairs: Istaria's ghetto

Quote Originally Posted by Death-Knell
    yeah, the entrance is on the very edge in the corner. So first I tried a 3 way with a spiral down then a bend on it....no go. Tried wrapping around all the way to the top edge so that a bend was in the upper corner. I think while a grand hall should fit in a 96 dimension the way the doors are setup the bends and passages won't line up. Where in a 120x120 there is enough extra space the hall can line up with the bends/passages.
    i forgot... the entrance actually takes a chunk out of layer 0 _and_ layer 1 directly below. did you try starting it on layer 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Goriax
    If possible I'd like to avoid having all my guests (yea right) enter through the storage area. It turns out that on my lair plot I can connect a tier 2 lair directly to the first attach point off the foyer to make a nicer entry way then some 3- or 4- way intersection. Off one exit of the lairI'm thinking about initially making a bunch of tier 1 silos with access corridors and then off the other a bunch of tier 2 workshops.
    argh! i sure hope i tried to put a hall in my entrance initially and decided it wouldn't work well (or it simply wasn't allowable).. cos that's a great idea. i _do_ have a (t1) hall right off of the first 3-way as a nice foyer, and the other direction is an open spiral to the more useful areas of the lair. as a matter of fact, i even have the corridor to t1 silos as you do... heh

Quote Originally Posted by Theolaerynn
    Keep in mind there are three Tavu's. One each on Chaos, Order, and Blight.
    lol, you're right, guess I was so paniced at the thought of losing my new lair I forgot about the other shards. I'm on Chaos, so I guess Arakaine is on Order. I wonder if we have the same lair, mine also has a very narrow top.

Kind of funny to think of someone else inhabiting my lair in a parallel universe, although obviously the same is true for all plots and lairs.
    Guildmaster of The Alliance
    http://The-Alliance.cjb.net

As of now, I only have one helian and one lunus silo, and a 3-way--but that's to level up on, and to generate some initial storage. Beyond that, I played with the design and took some screenshots:

Here

Just scroll down a bit.

Nisse 100 Helian/Nissei 100 Lunus/SShiak biped (All on Chaos)

OK, well I finally was able to get my Grand hall in my lair. I knew it wouldn't fit on level 0, but honestly I think it should be allowed to start there. I want people to start in my grand hall, not in the industrial sector. It wouldn't fit on layer 1 either?? But it did fit on layer 2.

So my lair is as follows

Layer 0: Has a vault 3 tier 1 silos, a tier 4 crystalshaping room and gemshaping room.
    Layer 1: 3 tier 1 silos, tier 4 essense shaping....forget for now

Layer 2: Grand hall

Layer 3: Grand hall, tier 4 Library

Layer 4: Grand Hall, tier2 connie and PB (they connect together ever so nicely)

Layer 5: Grand hall

Layer 6: Tier 4 Lair, 2 tier 2 silos, tier 5 smelter, stoneworking. These also occupy layer 7.

Will I ever finish this lair....well someday!

Expert Lairshaper
    Grand hall complete.

Deleted because I'm still connection-challenged.

Well I heard there were a few new spirals coming, one of which had a 90 degree out instead of 180. That will definitely lead to a redesign!

Also, Devs could we get some up-spirals? Why an up-spiral you say? Because the best I can do with a 90 degree down spiral is to start my grand hall on level 1, the second door would be freed up and I would use it to put a spiral up to level 0. I want my guest directly into the grand hall and since I would be bounded to the grand hall the doors should go to the rest of my lair.

Expert Lairshaper
    Grand hall complete.

Thread Information