Thread: Unity Auction Event

Default Unity Auction Event

What is it ?
    The Unity Auction Event is an opportunity for the gifted citizens of the Empire to put up items for auction, and to bid on items offered by others. By holding multiple auctions within an event such as this, people know of a time when they can expect to find interesting items available to buy, as well as provide everyone with an opportunity to put their own items up for auction.

When is it ?
    The most likely date and time so far would be Friday the 16th of December at 8pm GMT (9pm CET).

Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
    How does it work ?
    People contact the organisers before the event with information about the items they want sold at the auction, along with reserve prices for each item or collection.
    At the time of the event, the items up for auction are announced by the organisers. As each item is announced, the audience are able to call out their bids. The organisers monitor the bids, and call the winning bid when no more bids are being placed.
    When bidding concludes upon an item, the organiser announces the winner, and the winner then trades with the person who placed the auction.

Why not leave people to auction their own items on the market channel ?
    Everyone can sell their items however they want. Through a consigner, on the market channel, or they can put items up for auction at the Unity Auction Event with a large audience to bid and therefore an opportunity to make a little bit (or a lot) more than they would do normally.

What can I auction ?
    Anything that is likely to be bid upon. Good examples would be a fancy regal weapon, a suit of armour fully techniqued, 5000 cobalt bars, it?s up to you. Things that aren?t really suitable for auction would be refurbished equipment, armour or other equipment that doesn?t have any techniques on it, or 10 salt rock. These are examples of items unlikely to attract bids except in good humour.

Can I put a collection of items up for auction as a single ?lot? ?
    Yes, in fact collections are often preferred by bidders because they may get a few items they like, and the rest of the collection they sell on to make back some of the money they bid on the lot. An example of a collection might be a complete suit of cargo gear complete with crafting techniques applied, or a selection of crystals.

I don?t want my items sold unless they reach a minimum price. Is that okay ?
    By all means. Simply decide upon a reserve price, and as long as the item being bid upon surpasses the reserve price specified, it will be sold. If bids do not reach your reserve price, the item is not sold.

Who do I give the items to hold onto for the auction ?
    You keep the items throughout the auction. When an item of yours is sold, you trade directly with the person who placed the highest bid. If you cannot attend the auction but wish to put items up to be bid upon, please ask a friend who is attending to take your items to the event and to handle the trades on your behalf.

Do I have to pay the organisers anything to auction my items ?
    No. There are no fees involved. If you put an item up for auction then whatever the amount of the winning bid, that?s what you get when you trade your items with the winning bidder.

Ok I want to put some items up for auction. What do I do ?
    Contact Tzael with a PM on these forums. You will get a reply confirming the auction details. Give the name of the item (or items if part of a collection), your reserve price if you want one set, and the name of the character on Unity shard who will be attending the auction with the items.

What happens if the winning bidder doesn?t honour their bid ?
    The organisers will make a note of anyone who doesn?t honour a bid, or who doesn?t provide the actual items they originally put up for auction. We can use this information to improve the flow of future auctions. If someone decides they don?t want to go ahead with the trade after all, there?s not a lot anyone can do about it.

If this goes well, will there be future auctions ?
    I sure hope so. This isn?t the first auction event our guild has hosted, but it?s the first we?ve done in Horizons. We?ve had a tonne of fun doing these auctions in our past, and if this one goes down well with everyone then we want to ensure that the fun continues !

Examples of lots up for auction
    Lot 1: Defence: Spirit Webbing technique
    Lot 2: Primal Flash dragon technique
    Lot 3: Western Deadland Glowing Stones collection (level 35, 45, 55 and 65)
    Lot 4: Assorted Regal weapons
    Lot 5: 20 of every type of trinket, bauble, charm and locket available

Feel free to ask any questions [:)]

Default Re: Unity Auction Event

Quote Originally Posted by Gimbold
    Any idea where this will take place yet?
    The place of the auction, and the name of the chat channel we'll use will be announced a couple of days before the event takes place. We've picked a place that is easy for most people to get to, and doesn't hammer computer performance much [;)]

The chat channel will be used for the auction so that people can chat and emote on the local chat if they attend without interrupting the auction. It's also there so that if someone can't attend directly (for example if someone's computer can't handle large numbers of people around) they still have the option of participating in auction bids :)

Quote Originally Posted by Gimbold
    Another question[H]

Will you be posting what's for auction before hand,or do you have turn up and wait and see.[:P]
    I'm hoping to post a list of items being auctioned here on the forums, but to be honest there's not a long list to post so far. Encourage people to get their info to me otherwise this first auction will be more an exercise in demonstrating how such events work instead of being an actual fun event !

Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne
    Can we offer our services for auction?

for instance, use of a (say) high level carpenter for completion of wooden items on one building?
    Yes this is an excellent suggestion ! By all means, if you wish to auction your services for (as an example) 100 maple construction brace units then I think such offers will go down well with the bidders :)

Really sorry but real life has got in the way, I spent most of yesterday at the hospital with my wife and for the next few days I'm in the role of nurse husband. This isn't a cancellation of the auction, this is merely a postponement so please do continue to send me info on the items you have available for the auction.

I'll post more info soon, it is most likely that we'll simply postpone the auction until next Friday. Again I'm really sorry to do this, especially at such short notice.

Thread Information