Thread: Crashing in certain cities...

aceracer24

Default Crashing in certain cities...

Aight, I had stopped playing just before the merger. I had no crash problems other then the out of the blue ones that efveryone else seemed ot have. I could travel to any city and other then some being laggy (tazoon) I never crashed. Since returning, I consistantly crash in Tazoon, New Rach, and Feledan. The ONLY differance between then and now is the merger and I am now running a 6800 Nvidia Geforce. Latest drivers btw. Nothing else has changed. But when i port to any one of these cities...with or with out decent frame rate (1-15) I will crash within minutes to desktop. This is repeatable and annoying. I purposly got the Nvidia card as I heard from alot of people that nvidia cards seem to run a bit better in this game but alas it seems for me, anyway, to run worse. Is anyone else having these problems? Some stats on my PC:

Windows XP SP1
    Direct X 9.0c
    Asus A7N8X-Deluxe (newest nforce drivers)
    AMD 2600+
    1.25 gig ram
    Nvidia 6800 Ultra (latest drivers on nvidia site)
    Creative Audigy 2
    SATA Raid for the game (this was a potential fix to the current problem but still happens)

Other then a tad slow processor compaired to the new ones out...this should be more then enough to run this game pretty well and without constant crashing. Not to mention I never crashed in cities before like this. If anyone has any idea's as to the problem please let me know. thanks.

Default Re: Crashing in certain cities...

It is NOT your machine. Everyone is crashing, whether in plot manager, or just running around.

nope, you're not hte only one.

Before the merger and my upgrade, even Tazoon really didn't bother me.

But since I upgraded my entire system, after the merger, including a Geforce 6800 GTOC - Tazoon, crash. New Rachival - five minutes - Crash. Feledan - Crash! [li]

I rarely crash anywhere else in game, at any time. I'm a dragon, so this has nothing to do with plots or construction.

I've submitted a ticket, so far, no response.

I have no idea what's going on. I mean I guess I 'get' partially Tazoon - which for others was always a problem. I get more NR now because of the incraesed traffic, causing everyone to lag out there - if not crash outright, like myself.

But FELEDAN?! WTH?! I ported there to try and run to another player, and I sat on the pad so laggy I coudln't even click on chat tabs. As soon as I moved, CRASH! After I left Feledan, my FPS continued to be affected. A problem I have NOT had in recalling out of tazoon (enough time there if I crash to login and recall away before crashing again), or getting out of New Rach.

However, being a dragon there is a VERY important capacity trainer located ONLY in tazoon - I know many dragons who can't even update their abilities because they can't go to tazoon period. So they walk around with subpar carrying capacity - and I've not seen any forward movement on this issue.

However, I did discover, at least for me - so maybe this will work for you. If I turn ALL graphic settings done to minimal as possible, I can get into tazoon and get to my capacity trainer for the quest. I'm walking around in a fog, and see noone (make sure your viewable characters slider at least allowes for seeing someoen right in front of you, as I found out when I couldn;t click on my trainer), but at least I can get to my ability quest.

In no way is this a viable solution, but if you need to go to tazoon to get to the floating island (another issue with being able to go to Tazoon...since its got an exclusive portal) [:@] - or for whatever reason - turn all your settings down to "lowest" and try that.

Hopefully, although I've gotten no indication - they are working on this. If any more cities become unportable....[8o|]

I feel for you.

In another thread I was asking about video cards and was concerned because I was planning to buy a 6800 and at one time knew people with it were having trouble. They really need to deal with this.

My creaky old Ti 4200 doesn't crash anywhere. I may just hang onto it if people like you are still having problems.

see I"m not sure its the video card...

because there are lots of other people crashing in these cities, they don't *all* have Geforce 6800's..

but yea, with my Geforce 3 Ti200...never hardly any issues, even with Tazoon.

And I upgraded everything, not just my video card *sigh*. Tazoon has always, since day one, been a lag/crash issue town for many. Its only since the merge, I think, that the other two have become problemactic to this extent.

Others have told me they heard about old problems with Geforce 6800s or 66oos, but I've looked everywhere on the knowledgebase, and can't find any reference to such.

*sighs*

Inglorion - Earth

just a thought....but quite a few other games recommend not to update to the latest nvidia driver, but to use one a couple of "rounds" back (57.x versions) simply because of stability issues with the latest nvidia driver....to ask the obvious: have you tried to switch to a slightly older and more tested driver for your videocard?

aceracer24

Quote Originally Posted by Inglorion - Earth
    just a thought....but quite a few other games recommend not to update to the latest nvidia driver, but to use one a couple of "rounds" back (57.x versions) simply because of stability issues with the latest nvidia driver....to ask the obvious: have you tried to switch to a slightly older and more tested driver for your videocard?
    In a word "no" I have not tried. But it was my understanding that the latest driver from nvidia "officially" supports the 6800. AS the others do not...might still work who knows...maybe someone else can try it...i'm not going to keep chaning drivers for teh sake of one game. I play other games and have not noticed any problems with the current drivers. As of now..I just try to avoid these citties as best I can. But thx for the suggestion. :P

I'dupgradedtoa6800GT Ultra, AMD 64 3200+, with 3GB of MushkinCL2 DDR3200 Ram on XP SP-1. Now as soon as I port to Tazoon, it puts my system down to it's knees from the insane amount of overdraw to the point to where the game locks for minutes at a time, then "recovers" to 1 FPS.

New rachival is a little better, but after 5 minutes of staying in the same spot, I get the exact same thing as Tazoon. Pre-merger, I could walk around Tazoon with no problems during peak times (weekend afternoons/evenings).

I hope to see whatever was changed is soon fixed or rolled back.

For me it's NR that brings my machine to it's knees, I actually prefer to port through Tazoon which is opposite to what it was like pre-merger...

AMD 3200+(oc'ed to 2.34mhz)
    ATI 9800XT(oc'ed to 445mhz)
    1GB Corsair XMS PC3200 RAM
    XP SP-2
    EXOS-AL cooling system [H]
    Gwindor - Souless Immortals - Order
    100ELAR-100HLR-100SPRT-36MAGE-32-CLRC...

Quote Originally Posted by Inglorion - Earth

actually I think I just used the drivers that came in the box with the card (got it a few weeks ago).

I don't think I installed the 'newest' drivers, of course, I don't neve know if there are any newer drivers...

but where would I even "get" the older drivers? *shrug*

In any case, yea, Horizons is the only game that has issues. Everything else, I can run at full ultra top notch high graphics withno problems (including Doom III). I didn't get the chance to visit these cities on my old grahics card AFTEr the merge, so I'm not sure if I would have had the same issues after the merge with the old card or not.

*still no reply from submitted ticket*

Quote Originally Posted by Frith-Rae

In any case, yea, Horizons is the only game that has issues. Everything else, I can run at full ultra top notch high graphics withno problems (including Doom III). I didn't get the chance to visit these cities on my old grahics card AFTEr the merge, so I'm not sure if I would have had the same issues after the merge with the old card or not.
    Same here, Eve and LineageII running without problems. My card is a NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT, newly installed.

Crashed so far in Tazoon (but before a server reboot that might have fixed that problem), teleported without problems to Chiconis, Kion, Mahagra -- then, hours later, to New Rachival and crashed five times -- managed to get out of there to Sslanis, but continued to crash. Mostly when I open a crafting or character window. Moreover, the graphics in the windows show empty spaces now...[:S]

snickel wigglsniff (retired) Twilight Crusaders on Unity
    poggle wigglsniff (gnomish crafter and mage) semi-retired on Order
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    A gnomish house should not just sit there, it should definitely DO something!

I had the Problem that with the installation ofthe latest NVidia Driver for my geforce3 Card, all Letters vanished if the whole string was longer than 16 letters, also my screen was flickering a lot and crashing was normal ( weird but a fact )
    The installation of the "Quality" Drivers from www.Omegadrivers.net solved all those Problems...maybe you should try that as well.

But dont blame if anything goes wrong, those drivers are not supported by Nvidia.

Kralle/Yas

Quote Originally Posted by Kralle
    I had the Problem that with the installation ofthe latest NVidia Driver for my geforce3 Card, all Letters vanished if the whole string was longer than 16 letters, also my screen was flickering a lot and crashing was normal ( weird but a fact )
    The installation of the "Quality" Drivers from www.Omegadrivers.net solved all those Problems...maybe you should try that as well.
    Kralle/Yas
    Thank you Kralle, tried it, worked fine for every game I have at the moment, but not for horizons. [:'(] Am stymied for the moment...

Can it be that horizons can not be played with really good graphic cards? If so, I see [st][st][st] in the future of this game...

addition: can walk around and craft in mahagra, kion, chiconis, but not in tazoon, new rachival, sslanis (crashing every 5 steps I go or when I open a window) -- can this really be a graphic card problem?

snickel wigglsniff (retired) Twilight Crusaders on Unity
    poggle wigglsniff (gnomish crafter and mage) semi-retired on Order
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    A gnomish house should not just sit there, it should definitely DO something!

Thread Information