Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So the PVP Arena is Live....

Default So the PVP Arena is Live....

...alright, nevermind the fact that it wasn't in any patch notes, and last night after it was "flipped on" there wasn't any notice on the login page that this was in game...

..that is not what this post is about :).

What this post is about is that I'm requesting there be like a sticky made, preferably a direct dev statement but if not perhaps the mods can take the last thread about the Arena - where the devs made their statements about its *purpose* and what it *is not* - and sticky those statements with something along lines of the folloiwng...

"The PVP Areana is simply on the live shards for people to have fun playing with. It is not there to determine overarching balance, nerfs, powerups, loot, rewards, or any other type of practical game purpose. This game is not a PVP game. It will not be added into any other part of the game. Do not come to this forum posting about what you want the PVP game to mean. There is no pvp game. There is simply a little palce in the world you can duel it out if you wish to - with no other reward nor purpose other than the sake of doing so. Thank you and have fun!" :).

The devs stated that the purpose was sheerly to play if it ever went live. I think if we sticky the dev comments at the top of this forum, along with some statement like that (come on DB give us osmething like that to make it official ;)) then we can avoid future headaches in these forums before people even start.....

I really don't want to see WoW general around here ;).

Thanks - and have fun duking it out!! I Hear the dragon lightening breath kills humans...:)

Default Re: So the PVP Arena is Live....

Some folks were pretty upset; maybe such a statement will help. One thing I'd like to see addressed is the eventualty that someone will make a point of taunting & harrassing people to try to get them to go fight in the arena. While this behavior should be covered under the existing rules of conduct, I strongly feel that a specific policy forbidding this kind of taunting needs to be established and enforced with extreme prejudice. [8o|]
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by David Bowman
    Consensual, arena-based, team player-to-player combat is available on Blight as a testing mechanism for us. If players enjoy it, great. If they don't enjoy it, great. At some point, it will probably become available for those that do enjoy it on other shards, but it will never leave the arenas and will never be the focus of the game. It is a tool for new monster testing, for we can take a new monster there and try it out against players to determine if they are enjoyable or not.

Let me state clearly... We don't want to hear about player-to-player imbalances... We want to hear about ways to make the game more enjoyable for our existing customers while growing the users. We believe bringing an ongoing-war against computer controlled characters is the best way to achieve this (while improving client performance, fixing bugs, and fulfilling outstanding promises). In order for that war to feel like a war, there needs to be challenge, reward and an ability to influence the distribution and condition of the enemy. This is a tool for us to create that experience.

David Bowman
    Quoting this seemed apropriate
    http://community.istaria.com/Web/Sho...x?PostID=95212
    Get the map pack here - Get the REAL ancient models here!
    Get White Teeth and Claws for your Dragon here!

100/100 Ancient Dragon, member of the first group of 8 to ascend to ancient on Unity.
    This sig was designed for Firefox (stupid IE still can't handle png )
    www.AncientOrder.org

The rules and reasons are explained by Smeglor:

Smeglor tells you, 'Greetings Guaran! Welcome to the Istarian Arenas! I am Smeglor, the Arena Master.

If you are new here, I can explain how the Arenas work.

Iam also able to change your current school, in case you wish to try out different methods and tactics.'

Smeglor tells you, 'I developed the Arenas to better prepare Gifted such as yourself for the ongoing conflict with the Withered Aegis. What better way to do so than to engage in combat with the most versatile foe possible: other Gifted!

First you must select an Arena by following any of the roads leading from this location. Each Arena represents a different type of environment you may find yourself in. While the maximum duration of engagement may vary based upon the Arena's size, otherwise the rules remain the same no matter which one you choose.

Once you arrive at an Arena, next you must join a team'

Smeglor tells you, 'At each Arena there are two Recruiters. One will allow you to join Team A, the other is for Team B. Simply greet one of the Recruiters to join their team. Once joined, you can leave the team either by greeting your team's Recruiter again or allowing the Team effect to expire. If you are killed, that will also automatically cause you to leave your team. Note that while on either team you will be unable to recall.

There are no restrictions on who can join either team, and anyone can join in at any time. The Arenas are here for the Gifted to make use of how they see fit. It is not up to me nor the Empire to impose restrictions on the participation in Arena combat. The Withered Aegis are not going to "play" according to any artificial rules, so the same applies here.

Now that you are on one of the teams, it is time for combat!

Smeglor tells you, 'As a member of a team, your ability to affect other Gifted changes from what you are accustomed to. You can no longer use beneficial spells or abilities on someone who is not also a member of your team. The reverse of this is also true: none can help you except those on your team. You can attack or use harmful spells and abilities on members of the other team. This is, of course, the whole reason for being in the Arena.

There is also one other special condition. Each Arena has a boundary. This boundary is visible in some way, such as a road, fence, or wall. If you are on a team and are not inside the boundary, you cannot affect anyone else in any way. This means while out of bounds, you cannot heal a teammate or harm an opponent. However, foes within the boundary can still attack you. So don't think you're safe just outside the Arena!

That's it!

Smeglor tells you, 'As you can see, there aren't many rules. It's up to you to communicate with the other Gifted to arrange the teams, goals, or any special conditions desired. Please be considerate of others - remember we're all on the same side. The purpose here is to practice and learn better strategies, not to turn the Gifted against one another. If that starts to happen, we may be forced to shut this place down.

Good luck!'

Smeglor tells you, 'As a convenience, the various adventure trainers of Istaria have granted me the ability to change your current school. I cannot, however, help you join a school you are not yet a member of.

Yep thats it exactly. I had fun and will continue to in the future. All played nice as we did on blight.

For those that don't want to participate, so be it. For those that do, so be it.

I personaly handed out everyone I killed amb to get rid of a DP that I caused. I do so to be courtious and because I still feel DP's should be excluded from this area. Also because my attacks tend to be all out pure damage, and hitting one attack can kill instantly. I am not a mez'r or stun'r whom can usually control how much damage they deal out. Lots of us agree try to stop the fight when the opponant is down to 1/4 health before a DP is accrued. We do this because we are NOT the type of PvP'rs most are worried about.

Thats it. If your interested please come out and have some fun!

PS: If you are harassed by someone and don't want to be bothered, send them to one of us regulars that are out there. I will be more then welcome to satisfy there desire to fight in the arena. No one has to go if they don't want to.

Jayne

And So it has come to pass, one must wonder IF as much effort has been invested in other promised things that have been left largely untouched since mid 2004. And with that I'll say it saddens me immensely to see THIS without certain other things. I withdraw now from this discussion and continue to pray that the PTBs are true to their word.

25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

ADV: Centenarian Nature Walker; Rating: 162
    Craft: 1900 levels; Craft Rating: 234
    DRGN: Lunus, Adult, 100 DRAG, 100 DCRA, 100 DLSH, Expert Lairshaper (Chaos-04)

No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

If the enemy presents an opportunity, take advantage of it - Sun Tzu

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor
    And So it has come to pass, one must wonder IF as much effort has been invested in other promised things that have been left largely untouched since mid 2004. And with that I'll say it saddens me immensely to see THIS without certain other things. I withdraw now from this discussion and continue to pray that the PTBs are true to their word.
    No paid time was used to create this from what the devs had said. This was all lunch hour work from what I understand. So no has not delayed anything else.

Ah, a guildmate told me about this. I thought he meant he found the island, not that it was actually accessible by all of us. Hmm, that is interesting indeed.
    Carinde "Demigoddess" Ryder
    Citizen of Order, Axe & Anvil Guild

Deth, it matters not to me whether 'paid' time was used or not. Nothing further to say, I've said my peace.

25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

I think its awesome that its live.

Even if paid time WAS used to put this together... (it had to have been much simpler than the new tutorial island), it was time well spent if people enjoy themselves there. It does break the boredom than can set in (for me when I can't bring myself to finish those silos).

No one has a right to complain unless you have an actual comment about the arena, the implementation, etc. Unless you've actually went and participated.Until then you're specualting or predicting based on what possibly has happened elsewhere in some other realm.

Go try it out,then complain. But not before.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran
    Even if paid time WAS used to put this together... (it had to have been much simpler than the new tutorial island), it was time well spent if people enjoy themselves there. It does break the boredom than can set in (for me when I can't bring myself to finish those silos).

No one has a right to complain unless you have an actual comment about the arena, the implementation, etc. Unless you've actually went and participated.Until then you're specualting or predicting based on what possibly has happened elsewhere in some other realm.

Go try it out,then complain. But not before.
    Is there even any rewared from participate in the area?
    Will a dragon, for instance, get something back from wining or is he only wasting his hoard?

Personally, I have no interest in the Arena if it mean I got to use 10'000 hoard to kill someone and end up with no reward whatsover. If it's so, then dragon will always be loser in the arena, after winning or losing a battle.
    Dragon Lairs: Istaria's ghetto

your assuming, greatly, that your gonna beat that man there in cargo gear and that nasty looking stick. I suspect greatly that only the wisest and sharpest winged ones will survived and the rest will fall in crumpled heaps to the superiority of the sticks and strings... :) See ya in the funny papers.... :)

Good... then don't play in the arena.

Good point! Dragonaide. I will campain for that too, hoard should not be used up as well as DP's given out.

Jayne

Buh... step into a combat situation you should have all the benefits thereof and should incur all the consequences thereof. Lest it becomes some watered down, nanzy panzy, puffy chest contest of who's is bigger.

In the voice of the old hag in Princess Bride.. Booooo Boooo Booooooooooo

Strict rules should have been in place before proping this live. Whether or not I get haranged to go into the arenaI can /ignore though I shouldn't be put in the position to have to do so in the first place.

How many people on blight using the arena weren't mature veteran players?? To have the same expectation for the live shards is overly optimistic. It's a matter of time before we start having to see the worst come out in people and I"m not refering the the blight testing crowd when saying that nor the long termfoundation playerbase...

I hope I'm wrong, I honestly do.

Wyrme Of Light

I stated weeks ago and- got my head chewed off that this was going to be added to the live shards. To be honest I have NEVER met a bunch of bigger complainers in my life. Theres no way this will interupt ANY day to day functions of the game. Theres NO way to stumble into it or even if your there long as you DONT join a team you cant get hurt. So tell me how this is going to RUIN the game like eveyr oens crying about. if the thing works and they market it the right way MAYBE they stand a chance to draw in a few new players that are into that type of game play, and we all know we need to populate the server more then what they are now with players that will stay around longer then the free trial or 30 days free time they get from the boxed set. If this small addition to the world will bring in 50 long term players to Order or Chaos,then I see it as being worth while in the long run and we should support the devs in there endevors to expand the game and the game play. New things draw NEW PLAYERS. The arena not going to hurt any of you.

Time will tell if this was a good choice or not. :)

Jenntonix

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrme Of Light
    I stated weeks ago and- got my head chewed off that this was going to be added to the live shards. To be honest I have NEVER met a bunch of bigger complainers in my life.
    This is the best thing about Horizons, there are more firsts in one place than anywhere else!

Thread Information