Thread: Do guilds matter in Horizons?

HondaAccord

Default Do guilds matter in Horizons?

In games like EQ2 there is content that the game prohibits a user from accessing unless he's in a high level guild. Note, this question is not "Is there content that only a large number of people can acess" but is instead "Do guilds have levels in this game?" and "Is there content which requires membership in a guild?"

Thanks for your time.

Default Re: Do guilds matter in Horizons?

The short answer to your question is "No."

Guilds are helpful for the support they provide, not to mention the friends you will meet in them. But being guilded is certainly not a requirement to participate in the World Master spawned invasions that occur once or twice a month, or for joining groups going after very high level beasties. Indeed, I know several very high level players who have gotten along quite nicely without ever having been guilded.
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

I went for nearly a year unguilded, soloing for the most part, but I was still able to take part in any event or fight any monster I wanted...I just didn't for the most part [:P]
    Death is the ultimate dilemma and integral to the beliefs and behavior of every culture. Life is bore on the corpses of the dead. Without death, there would be no motivation to do anything. The only emotion would be existing. Life would be pestilent and agonizing.

Ssilmath Torshak
    Paladin of Kass, Master Armorsmith

HondaAccord

Thanks guys. My wife and I are shopping for a new MMORPG to play together, but not with other people. :) This game might do it for us.

Thanks again.

Further, as already implied by above posts, Horizons is overall very solo-friendly. Even high-level content, excluding those massively strong event bosses, you are able to solo - not to mention beat with two-player team.

Dragon adventurer 100 | Dragon crafter 100 | Dragon lairshaper 84

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Quote Originally Posted by HondaAccord
    Thanks guys. My wife and I are shopping for a new MMORPG to play together, but not with other people. [img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img] This game might do it for us.

Thanks again.
    While you may decide to not join a guild, some people may deem that your guildless status is an invitation to be asked if you want to join one.

If you are seeking to be only a couple without any type of current guild affiliation, you may deem it wise to set up a guild of your own. I know of one rather well-knowndragon who did not want to be in a guild with others, so he set up his own, made enough alts to get the guild named (you need five total characters for a named guild), and has continued playing for over two years this way.

Just because you have a guild also does not mean that you have to invite others to your guild or try to promote it in the ranks of the guilds currently established. It's not like CoH/CoV where if you are in supergroup mode the guild gains anything. There is no "guild mode", nothing gained, or anything like that.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Thanks guys. My wife and I are shopping for a new MMORPG to play together, but not with other people. .
    As noted, guilds are not required, but they can be helpful. Most guilds are very mellow in comparison to those in other games. It's your decision, of course, but you may meet a group of people you really feel comfortable with. It couldn't hurt to keep your options open.

Whatever you decide, I hope your time in Istaria is long and enjoyable. [:D]
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

I take it that you have had unpleasent experiences with other players in guilds before? That is most unfortunate. You will find that you don't need a guild to have fun here... at all. However, they can be a force for good in the world.

It all depends on what you need and what you like. If you need assistance, a guild, or even the New Player Assistance channels can provide that. If you like chatting with other players of like mind, then guilds or various channels may hold the answer.

But simple answer to the question... for what you describe from other games needing guilds to progress, NO guilds don't matter in Horizons.

As a new dawn rises over Istaria, may we all band together to meet the challenges!

Continuing Development of Horizons... SWEET!

Default Guilds are a definite benefit!

In the short time I have been in Horizons, I have had numerous questions and needs fullfilled by my fellow guildies. As a noob, joining a guild is a definite plus! For instance, a member in our guild needed to level up in carpentry, and another in gathering. They worked together both making their share of lumber, but the crafter got the lumber to make the timbers. In-guild cooperation in matters such as these can help you level much faster, no doubt!

Be careful in chosing a guild, however. Its always best to belong to a group that fits your own particular goals. Some concentrate on fighting, some on crafting, but most I have observed have some sort of mix. Some have older or younger people in there, etc. Always best to try them on a trial basis, and let the leader know that you are just "checking them out".

Dominique Osiras
    Pridesman- Warriors of the Claw
    Mala, Genevia

Dravatar

In games like EQ2 there is content that the game prohibits a user from accessing unless he's in a high level guild. Note, this question is not "Is there content that only a large number of people can acess" but is instead "Do guilds have levels in this game?" and "Is there content which requires membership in a guild?"

Thanks for your time.
    No, guilds do not have levels in this game. There is no content I know of in the game that requires a guild membership, other than the guild commands and interface themselves.

There are things that you will not be able to do successfully without a large number of people.

Of course guilds are important... There is more to being in a guild then what the other games make it out to be. A good guild isnt necessarily an Aristocratic Oligarchy. Great guilds are more of a camaraderie of wonderful people joined together in a symbiotic relationship. This symbiosis is what drives the individuals to obtain certain goals in which they may have never obtained alone.

Alright.. now that I've blown enough smoke, Yea.. currently there is no "requirement" to be in a guild, unless of course you count those certain pieces of land that are managed by guilds and that only guild members can purchase. Other then that... Guilds are great in the fact that most of the time there are enough people that have a wide enough variety of skills to make/do about everything you'd ever need to have made or done.
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

old thread is OLD!

aside from that though, i did just want to make a quick comment here..

Quote Originally Posted by C`gan View Post
    If you are seeking to be only a couple without any type of current guild affiliation, you may deem it wise to set up a guild of your own. I know of one rather well-knowndragon who did not want to be in a guild with others, so he set up his own, made enough alts to get the guild named (you need five total characters for a named guild), and has continued playing for over two years this way.

Just because you have a guild also does not mean that you have to invite others to your guild or try to promote it in the ranks of the guilds currently established.
    That well known dragon (moo!) isn't the only one. I've been the only member in "A League of One" since the merge. (Though, for a short time, I changed my guild name to "Mayor of Summit", as I was the only player for awhile to own a plot in the settlement of Summit, heh) I was originally in a guild with RL friends, the last of which wound up leaving around the time of the merge. Since then, I changed the name of my "guild" and have meandered around Istaria following whatever whim and fancy came to pass.

It's taken me a long while to make any significant progress, but that's not due to the game, but has vastly more to do with my play style. I tend not to focus on any one thing for very long, and switch between doing this, that and the other thing. Solo play suits me just fine, and I don't feel as if I'm excluding myself from any other players by being in a guild - I sorta feel like I'm open to chatting with and helping everyone. I sorta treat the entire server as my guild, heh.

So yeah, "guildless" play is entirely feasible, and you wont miss out on any of the core gameplay or the world by remaining guildless whatsoever.

~ Henry

In other "stressfull and competitive" games, being in an end game guild is all. Else you are worthless poo, have no access to good gear, good PvP ranks and so on.
    In Horizons, you have to be a kind person and make a lot of friends (which for many "traditional" MMORPG players might be harder than being a jerk but with 24 hours a day to waste on grinding) and then even the small content you could not solo, will become a breeze.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

well, we have guilds on blight, but they are not what you would call needed. most peeps will be able to get what they need if they ask nicely.
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Thread Information