Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Live Patch Notes - Tuesday, March 7, 2006

Default Live Patch Notes - Tuesday, March 7, 2006

The following fixes, features and optimizations have been made to the client on the live shards on March 7th, 2006:

Fixes:[*]Removed Maximum Placeholder Characters from options window because it doesn't do anything.[*]Changed fog calculation to increase number of object displayed as well as clarity of objects displayed - without impacting performance.[*]Quests that are expanded in the Quest window will remain expanded as they progress.[*]Character generation should no longer lock up when create character is clicked.[*]Crash prevention for closing a window that has a tutorial arrow pointing at it.[*]Allowed for multiple tutorials to be opened at the same time.[*]Fixed an error in the bounds calculation of each Terrain Chunk. Chunks should now occlude more often and improve performance.[*]Fixed default chat windows to correctly subscribe to the correct chat channels. The window on the left is all system and communication feedback. The window on the right is strictly for combat spam.[*]Fix to prevent characters from showing up invisible.[*]Monsters will now occlude.[*]Attacks that do not inflict damage (such as Burn Armor) and target effects that have a percentage chance (such as Primal Vengeance) will properly show up in verbose (non-simple) combat feedback.[*]Characters switch to low resolution models at > 30m and high resolution models at < 20m.[*]Changed min fps for loading visible items to be 5fps.[*]Improved login time for systems with low frame rate.[*]The calculation for plot dimensions on the Plot Survey window will properly take rotation into account.[*]Resources added to the cleanup list that are still referenced will not cause perpetual memory accumulation.[*]The player character will no longer be added to the visibility manager which will prevent unwanted occlusion and or flickering.[*]Occlusion model geometry is created from the highest resolution model.[*]Logout will occur immediately - will resolve a problem for some users logging out and not be able to log back in right away.[*]Removed FM technology from visibility manager.[*]Corrected Locate Additional Battle Orders quest to have a chance to drop all of the intended hides.[*]Corrected a calculation error when a pawnbroker reduces his stocks. They will accept proper amounts for appropriate prices after doing so.[/list]

Features:[*]Added ability to adjust min fog distance and made slider values complimentary.[*]Added a notepad - map a hotkey to open this window for now.[*]Added ability to constrain character model LOD to options window.[/list]

Optimizations:[*]Optimized process of dealing with entities that are set to be invisibile.[*]Removed frame rate smoothing pref.[*]Texture memory updated every 10 seconds instead of 5.[*]Resources are cleaned up gradually, instead of all at once.[*]Resources to be cleaned up are checked every 2 seconds, instead of every frame.[*]Smoothed out resource loading.[*]Cleaned up some distance checks used for determining if a characters bounds are out of date.[*]LOD system now chooses beween the best quality model for close up and the lowest quality for distance, rather than really high for close up, and high for distant.[*]Added optimization to display of characters - should see an increase in frame rate when there are lots of monsters around, or lots ofcharacters / NPC with empty hands.[*]Vastly improved the method to determine what objects to render in a scene. Players should see better frame rate and less hitching when entering towns or areas with large numbers of objects.[*]Memory used to store models reduced. As assets are re-exported, client footprint will shrink and memory usage will be reduced.[/list][/list]
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Default Re: Live Patch Notes - Tuesday, March 7, 2006

Very nice fixes and optimizations.

And very glad that you made the current event quest have a chance to drop all hides, but I have a few questions.

After killing Daknor today at lunch, 1 person in the group received a scorched hide.

Is it intended that only ONE hide is randomly available per kill?

Is 25 silver intended as the reward for killing Daknor, or is there something else?

Without giving away the events "secrets", can you at least tell us that the hides quest, is or is not a prelude to something else?
    As a new dawn rises over Istaria, may we all band together to meet the challenges!

Continuing Development of Horizons... SWEET!

Lets see.

No

something else

Is
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

as long as someone gets the next hide i could care less what the reward is.......it's to the point i just want to put it in the completed quest and not look back lol

i do like the fps changes. those should make a big difference.

WOW.... Can't wait to try it out! Looks to be a great performance patch.

-HratLi

HratLi SnowPelt : From Bounty to Chaos : Eyes of Istaria
    MultiCrafter, Spirit Disciple, Walking Bleed Attack.
    HratLi's Bucket of Fury : A Saris in cargo gear appears and beats on your foe.
    Damage :
    50-150 Attack Type: Bucket Duration: Until Dispelled Frequency: 0:02

Can't wait to see how the performance changes improve the game.

I would like to ask if it's planned to look at the Audio portions of the game as well? I REALLY miss listening to the game but playing the game with my sounds on causes a major drop in FPS especially in towns. A guildmate new to the game had this same problem and loading into towns would take him a good few minutes to just get out of the portal even with the loading screen off. He turned his sounds off and he said he had a 50% improvement in his loading of towns.

Looking forward to seeing how this improves performance.

Nice client patch. I can't wait to try it later tonight to see if there's any improvement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amon Gwareth

The following fixes, features and optimizations have been made to the client on the live shards on March 7th, 2006:[*]The calculation for plot dimensions on the Plot Survey window will properly take rotation into account.[/list][/list]
    Does this include Lairs? I know I had some issues with some rooms that were supposed to fit, but were behaving like they weren't rotated.
    Dragon Lairs: Istaria's ghetto

Kerik

Well, I've noticed a drastic increase in memory usage.

Last night, while doing my mining out in the middle of nowhere, I was running a pretty stable 350+ megs of free system memory. Taking the same route out to my locale today I was in the neighborhood of 25 megs of free memory. This memory was not freed up at any point in time.

Running my memory optimizer, I was able to recover a huge amount of ram in comparison to yesterday.. in the range of 650 megs, however the consequences were staggering. After 20 minutes it's still swapping out trying to reload textures.

Maybe it's more friendly in respect to freeing up memory when needed but Im not seeing any performance boosts.

Have you guys considered running a seperate production cycle for client releases and just making them public beta? It might expediate things and get bugsmore exposure.

Seems to be a lot of permisson changes on plots. Kind of random. Some rooms changed and others didn't

also heard reported that some rooms need to be re-activated.
    100 Adventure/Crafter following the path of Helian

Expert Lairshaper
    Grand hall complete.

My Saris character model is SERIOUSLY messed up after this patch...

Everything looks like the polygon count was drastically reduced... arms
    look flattened out instead of rounded... face looks too angular... what
    the hell happened?
    Got Cowbell?

Before Patch

After Patch
    Got Cowbell?

Los Angeles (but originally Wallasey, England)

Aye, Noxuathl too lost a lot of weight. If it does indeed improve performance and reduce lag, however, I can live with it. :)

Lord Michlo / Master Noxuathl

Founder and Protector of Clan Walker
    http://www.ClanWalker.net

Same happened to me, relogging fixed it. I cleared the world cache too, just for extra measure.

{Helian Dragon} -------- {Order Shard} -------- {My Photo Album}

Sorry Tulga, you blew it on this one....

My White tiger Saris looks like an Asheron Call 1 graphic now... the polygon head looks jagged and the face is "painted" on with no moving mouth anymore, Justa looks absolutly horrid.

Sorry but this Reduced Polygon Patch just brought me down a few notches... and yes, I flushed the cache, even renamed the saris_m directory and forced it to download all 369 files to see if I could get the model back...

I am very sad, I really enjoyed the detailed graphics too :(
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Shutting down is NOT instantaneous. It still takes forever for the game to finish all of it's "unpacking" before it completely shuts down.

I also have seen no performance improvements on my end.

Not to mention the breathing animation for the Saris looks like an Alien is going to pop out of the stomach (fraps video is coming!!!)

reduced for size but still viewable an animated GIF done from a Fraps Video AVI of Breathing

Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

********.. chars were not best before and now they look like horror....thats not good....I can live with few fps less but not with low polygon chars.....

I've discovered, set your Character Texture LOD to High, and then reset the game. It should fix the 'low rez' issue. The models are NOT ruined, you just need to turn up your texture settings.

{Helian Dragon} -------- {Order Shard} -------- {My Photo Album}

Thread Information