Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chat Channels

Kita

Default Chat Channels

Seems like the dragons already planning their own chat channel, so must we for unity of all the players.
    Just to let you know I am from Wind shard and will use similar examples found there.

Well.. our event channel was called 'Event' [H] it's uses are pretty self explanatory.

And our general chat was 'Windcommunity' but Unitycommunity sucks [:P] so my suggestions would of course be UnCommunity, but that one is not good either.[:^)]
    I need help here

Feel free to post ideas.

Default Re: Chat Channels

maybe 'unity info' for the general information channel
    and 'help' for people looking for help....
    on ice there was a general chat channel to keep the chat out of the market channel but that did not work...[:P], does any have a solution for that?

mmmh, yeah I probably should not have limited the new channel brainstorming to just dragons. sorry about that.

Anyways for the trade channel onwind we use "Bazaar" wichI feel has a nice exotic ring to it. Other good names might be "MarketSquare" or "TradeChannel".

For the general chatter we could make "UnitedCommunity", "Istaria's Inn" or something like that.
    Get the map pack here - Get the REAL ancient models here!
    Get White Teeth and Claws for your Dragon here!

100/100 Ancient Dragon, member of the first group of 8 to ascend to ancient on Unity.
    This sig was designed for Firefox (stupid IE still can't handle png )
    www.AncientOrder.org

Syrith_Ice

Ice used Market for well market - but we could always use the AE bot merketplace channel.

We also had Scaled for dragons and it was always a good place for a discussion.

also Ice_Info - which i supose now should be unity_info

I thought I'd just login and see which channel had the most ppl in it and say hi

Metalline

Quote Originally Posted by Sibbe
    on ice there was a general chat channel to keep the chat out of the market channel but that did not work...[img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img], does any have a solution for that?
    On Wind, there were very few that used the bot created channel Marketplace.
    Instead the player created channel Bazaar was used.

For chatting, it was the same: Very few used the bot created channel General.
    The player created channel Windcommunity was used instead.

Trading or chatting in the wrong player created channel would get you kicked, if a kind warning didn't help [:)]

sounds good, but i always have market open, so if i am admin and i am hunting (eg not paying attention to market channel) i wont be kicking anyone

The info channel was called Ice-Info so I think some Icers will create Unity-Info and the - sign makse it easier to use /chatjoin I think.

We also need a Rebuilding Machines channel. Should it be named Rebuilding only or maybe Rebuilding-Machines? When RebuildingMachines was created, load of complains came about the space so we should avoid any spaces at channels but if someone creates a channel with space then it dont do to much I suppose.

Cobal: A dragon specific channel are needed and there will be one called Scaled or whatever and "we" Helians will most likely also have our own channel as well (I was at both). Scaled was maybe the biggest channel at Ice and it was a naturell place for hatchlings to get aid with this and that and RoP.
    Vanaondo
    The RP guild Kushan Sogd at Harro, Unity Shard
    Download and install Pekkas Map Pack v2.9 today and HCC 0.26 Beta is there too

Nerfherder

As someone already noted, all the "major" chat channels (market, general, Dragon, event) are already in place. If there ends up being a TON more, I can set up another FAQ like we had on ICE to help new people navigate the new chat channels.

Archeon

Oh oh, if we're going to look at new chat channels, can we *please* keep them to one word names? Unless I'm missing something it's not possible to chat in a channel with a 2 word name using the /chat <name> command, and need to be opened in their own tab/window. Like how ICE-info can be used by /chat ICE-info, but global chat couldn't be done with /chat global chat, /chat "global chat", etc...

Pet hate but since I had the chance to throw it in... [img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]

Probably best to use the channels already created for now I suppose. I`m just going to see where the majority end up and go with the flow :)

One thing is for certain though....We will all be chatting in-game soon :)
    Orophin Eluch - Elf

Disappeared without a trace....

Metalline

Quote Originally Posted by Sibbe
    sounds good, but i always have market open, so if i am admin and i am hunting (eg not paying attention to market channel) i wont be kicking anyone
    If you become admin, you can promote other players to be admins too. Preferably a reliable one[:P]

I'm sure someone would send you a tell, if they noticed you were not reading chat as admin.

To lend from someone else's theory; the combination anonymity and an audience can do funny things to otherwise normal people, so I've always prefered player created channels.

from earth the "german" channel will show up on unity ... maybe silver leaf inn too ... those 2 were the most populated ones beside guilds.

Marketplace was not much used in the last weeks as all those missing components nearly killed the market .. but 3 shards in one and more and more drops ingame again this will hopefully change again for good.

Looking for all types of Tier 4/5 techs!

Quote Originally Posted by DeathTiny

from earth the "german" channel will show up on unity
    wahhh, earth invading our german channel [:O] [;)]
    Dvergar Blutaxt @ Unity (former ICE) / Paladin 97 - Mason 100 // before hibernation

Anubus-Earth

I love the german channel, was always a nice place where the denizens were always kind to me.... although since I can't understand a word I assume they were always kind to me :)

I'll be sticking to the official 'help' channel, before it existed I set up 'game help' on Ice with a few friends helping out, and it became commonplace to see the new folks of Istaria pop in to cover the basics. Often many of them stayed around and even higher level folks pop in from time to time to ask questions about the game [:)] Once the official 'help' channel arrived, we all switched over to using that.

I was using 'event' for any event related matters, including rebuilding of structures, and a number of player run events. Since it's an official channel it has the advantage of attracting the new players, just like the help channel [;)]

'Market' was the main hangout on Ice, nice simple one-word channel name. Did try the official 'marketplace' channel, but apart from a few new people to the game joining it and then asking why nobody was actually in the market channel, and having to be redirected to 'market' I just gave up on it and stuck to the shorter named version.

There's already an official 'general' chat channel, I'm quite happy to use that, and it works well when using /c [channel_name] instead of jumping around tabs all the time, less to type [:P]

I've got various other chat channels there too, but the ones listed above are the main ones, and at least sound generic enough to ensure there's no association with previous shard cultures. One thing I'm keen to avoid (and tbh I don't even know why I fear it happening) is any contempt towards people because of the shard they came from. We're all in this together now, the european shards were always known for their dedication and teamwork in events - imagine what it's going to be like with all three rolled into one [:D]

I would vote for "german", "market" and "help" too as the ones I want to get in, short and simple and whatever language easy to grab the meaning. :)

Horizons Empire

Shamzi

For a fun chat we had the Silver Leaf Inn on Earth

that was the fun chat when you had nothing to do or when you were running back to a smelter orso with a cargo disk :)

On Earth we did not have alot of channels

we had marketplatz, Silver Leaf Inn and German

that was it :)

Telic

As one one of the bar staff of The Silver Leaf Inn, I can tell you it will be making an appearance on Unity, under Nanains guidance. I'm already looking forward to serving new customers drinks, and hopefully seeingsome familiar faces [:)]

Quote Originally Posted by Telic
    As one one of the bar staff of The Silver Leaf Inn, I can tell you it will be making an appearance on Unity, under Nanains guidance. I'm already looking forward to serving new customers drinks, and hopefully seeingsome familiar faces [img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]
    Sounds wonderfull. We had a similair channel that only where open time to time and was called Tavern. It was a pure RP channel and many crazy things happent in there. A perfect channel to join while you gather resources or have boring and need to be lighten up. Sourfang went in there once and he is NOT used to liquer but he demanded to get a special dragon glass. Well he got one and I dont need to mention what happent...
    Vanaondo
    The RP guild Kushan Sogd at Harro, Unity Shard
    Download and install Pekkas Map Pack v2.9 today and HCC 0.26 Beta is there too

Lovice

Hey Kita,

if you don't like Unitycommunity or UnCommunity...why not call the new general channel

CommUnity [;)]

Thread Information