Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chat Channels

Default Re: Chat Channels

Nice suggestion Lovice.

Rainbow

Pops

Are the bot-created channels in any way different? Or is it just that they are always there? Personally Im all for simple, obvious and self explaining names:

Market
    General
    Help
    Event
    Dragon

... although Bazaar, Scaled are fine too. One thing I know about human behavior (being a human-computer-interaction professional) is that people fear change above all else.I am certain that all channels from all shards will show up at least for a while. We'll see which ones will survive. Id love for many of them to be completly merged but thats beyond human power [:D]

the only difference is that those bot-generated channels will not have a player-mod and no one can mess arround and kick there afaik.

Looking for all types of Tier 4/5 techs!

Shiza

Really good suggestion, Lovice... CommUnity! It's so simple that it's easily overlooked but yet so... eyecatching in my opinion.

But as been said earlier in this thread, most channels will be established over time as people tend to head for the channels wheretheyfind the most people to satisfy their needs, questions and whatever.

the only difference is that those bot-generated channels will not have a player-mod and no one can mess arround and kick there afaik.
    It have happent that wrong ones have become mod over a channel and sterted to kick players to the left and to the right but as far as I know, it only happent once at Ice. We did kill our first help channel that Tzael mentioned and went to the general Help wich worked fine.

Pops: Hopefully we get agreements here about names so we can merge the channels as soon as we get online. I prefer to not have more then 9 tabs. *grins*
    Vanaondo
    The RP guild Kushan Sogd at Harro, Unity Shard
    Download and install Pekkas Map Pack v2.9 today and HCC 0.26 Beta is there too

yes .. with guild / group / german i have 3main channels .. taking marketplace general and maybe one other i will have 6 .. 8are maximum with my actual screensetup and only 2left fortells are far to few ... will have to rework my setup i think :)

commUnity is a nice name btw!

Looking for all types of Tier 4/5 techs!

Horatio

Agree. I don't want to have to have multiple tabs open in case i miss someone selling Two-hand slash V[:P]

On Wind we had "Bazaar" for our trade channel, it was always well-populated and (for the most part) well looked after. I'd like to see that one resurface.

We should have a community channel for sure. Coming from Wind I'm naturally pre-disposed toward our old Windcommunity channel but I agree with a previous poster, the name unitycommunity bites the big one.

'CommUnity' has a nice ring to it!

As far as re-building stuffgoes, on Wind in a recent effort to rebuild the ML artifact of magic, we used the event channel to co-ordinate that, and then had craft specific channels set up that volunteers were directed to, 'Windfitters' 'Windcarpenters' etc...That system seemed to work really well.

On a completely separate note, I can't help but shake with excitement at the thought of all the uber-crafters from all 3 EU shards finally being in the same place[:P]

Anyone whohas been around long enough to remember the superb effort ICE, WIND and EARTH put in in rebuilding the satyr mines, and the way we kicked the NA shards asses in getting them done will know whatI mean [H]

H.

Xeno

Even as dragon, here is my vote: CommUNITY [:)]

This was also my first thought........sounds pretty good and simple.

Greetings,

Medina

Ohh yes the Silver Leaf Inn will definatley be back on Unity. We have a nice set of staff who generally are the opped people, Myself (Dina/Dionne/Fluffle), Telic, Mutrock, Jarren, Zymosis, Fhrain the Bouncer. Ohh and of course Nanain the boss :P

Black Pepper Coffee and Rum or BPC and rum for short is my speciality.

We are not full role play all the time but we do welcome it. Also all languages are welcome. Please stop by, we cant wait to meet you.

Farre

Posted By: Lovice on 10-25-2004 12:49 PM Subject: Re: Chat Channels Message: Hey Kita,

if you don't like Unitycommunity or UnCommunity...why not call the new general channel

CommUnity [img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]

[Y] [Y] [Y] [Y] [Y] [Y] [Y] [Y] [Y] [Y] [Y] [Y] CommUnity

CommUnity I really like for the general channel :).

For the marketplace-channel, I would suggest to take Bazaar.
    At least 1/3 of the incoming population is not used to use 'marketplace' for buying and selling. That means that there are lots of chances that people will think of the name 'marketplace' as a place to go to when they want to meet people and chatter with them. We have seen on NA-shards what that meant: lots of trouble, bickering, and even people really getting badly hurt...
    I suggest to miss out on any chance here for that same thing to happen.
    And I must say: Bazaar dóes have a nice ring to it, and makesrather clear that it is about buying and selling (ánd of course haggling[:D]) on there...

Event for events; and to me, making temporary seperate channels for the groups within that event sounds like good advice [:)]

Help seems the only good name for help...

[I]Wouldn't it also be a good idea to make 'local-community-channels' with the name of the town or settlement as channelname just as soon as the auctions are done with? Might be a nice help to get somelocal-community-feeling in a now very unrooted population; might help getting local community-building done together; might help coördinating who builds what in community's withoutall-big-RCI-plots also?[:)]

Market channel wise i would go for Bazaar as well, catchy, and homy ;)

- General chat i like CommUnity as well.

Ice-Info never worked like a generall chat really like CommUnity will. It was a chatchannel formed when we tried to have guilleaders meetings once a week at Ice during springtimeand then use that channel to inform all about decisions made. When we ended the Ice-leaders meetings, as they where pointless as noone followed the decisions made, then it turned into a form of help/info channel instead so maybe it dont differ much from help.

Vanaondo
    The RP guild Kushan Sogd at Harro, Unity Shard
    Download and install Pekkas Map Pack v2.9 today and HCC 0.26 Beta is there too

Pops

So, to summarize most people seem to agree on this:

CommUnity
    General Chat

Bazaar
    For selling/buying/trading ONLY

Help
    For game help, such as "Where does the deamon midgit spawn?"

Scaled
    For the dragons. Gnomes beware!

German
    For the... dang, I forgot

Silver Leaf Inn
    Semi RP channel (seems fun and friendly!)

Event
    Used when needed for event talk

Quote Originally Posted by Pops
    So, to summarize most people seem to agree on this:
    I'm not agreeing to anything - not meaning to be awkward of course [:)]

Any custom player-made channels do not get my vote, and there's a simple reason for that. On the #Tazoon IRC channel a few of us suggested to the devs that new players should have a few channel tabs added by default, namely help, market, event and dragon. We were told that it was already in the works to ensure that the default UI layout presented to new users would accomodate those channels. In the interest of ensuring that new players won't be faced with empty "official" channels, I have to place my vote firmly in favour of all ready-made channels. AE introduced them for a purpose, let's use them and put an end to confusion for the new players !

Horatio

Pops suggestion sounds good to me!

Jodri Rocknhammer

if you are having a german channel you may as well go the whole hog and have English,French and every other language tab as well

Pops

All other channels are english unless otherwise stated. This IS an english speaking server. Germans just seem to be a big group and many of them like to stick to speaking german.

And no matter what you or me think there WILL be a german channel :), Im sure there will be a french one too. Im swedish myself, and I know there are LOTS of swedes (at least on former Ice) But swedes tend to not mind speaking english.

Well, the french will most likely recreate their Francais channel.
    They were big on Wind when I joined. Almost as much players as the WindCommunity

I am really happy that Bazaar will live on :) I got used to that name over the time.

CommUnity ..... nice one black goddess! seems you only post seldomly but with a good input... hehe

I am sure there will soon be specialized channels too:

- Tailor I am , for example
    -- || knoccest of the tailors. period.

Eldryr

Its easy for me :-)

A channel where my friends are, maybee "German" again
    One for the group
    One or two for friended guilds
    and at least one for the new nice commUnity [:)]
    Hmm privat tells ? we will see [:)]

Thread Information