Thread: Pets

Default Pets

Sorry, but is noone really interested in pets to quickly go form one part of istaria to another?
    Paolo - Kenpa - Unity shard
    Guild "I protettori dell'antico codice"
    100 Paladin - Reaver - Mage - Druid - Healer - Spiritist - Conjurer / currently building Guardian
    Many Dragon's eye-teeths on his Zealot

Shudian Gun - Unity Shard
    True lunus making its A.R.o.P.
    57M of hoard (thanks to Paolo )

well perts for traveling are atm not really needed, because of the teleporter network.
    (Summonable/Hireable) Pets as fight helpers, maybe with some new classes, thats a thing I would love to see before.

As David once said:
    mountable pets are on the pony list

Spoke to David a few weeks ago, and he said that there will be pet classes, and the ability to have a pet (summoned or tamed.. not sure), but this was still on the pony list... though I would LOVE to have a pet
    Segorian_Bounty - Elder Adult Dragon - Chaos
    Mearis - Saris - All around biped crafter - Chaos
    ....Toooo many alts to list them all

I for one would love to have pets (can't go without them in real life), but I am willing to be patient for it to come. There are more important things to work out at the moment, like fixing classes and such.
    Disciples of Namir
    Shard: Order
    Britt Namir - Female Saris Flame Disciple
    Ryver - Ancient Helian Dragon (honorary disciple)
    Tania Namir - Femal Saris Storm Disciple
    Melthana - Adult Lunus Dragon (honorary disciple)
    Ruhan Namir - Male Saris Spirit Disciple

David has mentioned a baby ruxus being on the pets list, and at one point cited Toontown as an example of what he'd like pets to be like - "only not as annoying", if I recall his comment correctly. Having not played Toontown, I don't know what all that entails, beyond getting visions of a baby ruxus pulling a bundle of dynamite or a huge rubber hammer out of its, um, pockets...
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Yea, David said that to me at GenCon about Pets too.... and pointed to the white tiger on my shirt and nodded, "Pets" he said.

If you think about it.... a pet is nothing but a physical existing "DoT" spell.... that either goes away after a duration, or stays with you for as long as its health permits.

In Asheron's Call 2 (Rest in Peace) the Ranger's pets I used as a disposable, melee stop gap, to delay the mob from getting to me, while I used spells and arrows to bring down the opponent.

I see this the same way.... I am not going to get attached to "Old Yeller" or cry when Lassie bites the big one, because they are more or less cannon fodder at some point in time and can help tip the battle.
    Last edited by Justa Mirage; April 12th, 2006 at 05:21 PM.
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Part of the problem in discussing this topic is that other games have influenced what 'pet' means to people.

THIS IS A PONY LIST DISCUSSION ONLY!!! (Disclaimer necessary to prevent claims of David promised!)

When I speak of pets, I speak of a variety of different functionalities/roles for an entitiy that is 'owned' by a player character. Here are some of the varieties that I'd like to add to Horizons in the future after we've achieved more important, immediate goals.

Companion - an entity that follows the player character and acts according to it's AI to provide support to the player character. It stays with the player character until it's internal motivators tell it not to or it dies.

Hireling - A form of companion that is payed to be a companion.

Familiar - A form of companion that is centered continually on the player character and allows new behaviours for the player character.

Pack animal - A companion that acts as a cargo disk. (A cargo disk is not a companion, because it has no AI behaviours).

Summoned - An extremely temporary companion used in battle, crafting or gathering.

Mount - A companion upon which one or more player characters can ride.
    David Bowman

*pets his marble tarby* There, there... he didn't mean to put you down, you're a good follower even if you don't like water...

granted, the testing, tuning and debugging process for any/all of these is going to be nothing short of monumental.

In the short term, I would love to have some animated cats that I could let wander around on my plot.

i want a squirrel for mine :-)

beyonder7

Default David And Pet Info****

Quote Originally Posted by David Bowman
    Part of the problem in discussing this topic is that other games have influenced what 'pet' means to people.

When I speak of pets, I speak of a variety of different functionalities/roles for an entitiy that is 'owned' by a player character. Here are some of the varieties that I'd like to add to Horizons in the future after we've achieved more important, immediate goals.

Companion - an entity that follows the player character and acts according to it's AI to provide support to the player character. It stays with the player character until it's internal motivators tell it not to or it dies.

Hireling - A form of companion that is payed to be a companion.

Familiar - A form of companion that is centered continually on the player character and allows new behaviours for the player character.

Pack animal - A companion that acts as a cargo disk. (A cargo disk is not a companion, because it has no AI behaviours).

Summoned - An extremely temporary companion used in battle, crafting or gathering.

Mount - A companion upon which one or more player characters can ride.
    DAVID WE WOULD LIKE ALL THOSE OPTIONS, OR ANY AT THIS POINT,,
    ALSO SOME NEW SPELLS AND CLASS DESIGNS WOULD ROCK..

If there are going to be pets... don't forget the dragons.

Kumu, you might want a pet rock... I want a pet... uh... well... something I won't keep stepping on all the time...

Of course! Dragons deserve pets, too!
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

I want a big cat or something hehe or anything that has scales (giant snake, crocodile etc. ^^)

awm i watched too much of my friends playing WoW
    Last edited by Takora Drakan; April 19th, 2006 at 07:42 PM. Reason: typos :P

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Yeah, but what would a dragon want for a pet? Bipeds, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Xarog
    Yeah, but what would a dragon want for a pet? Bipeds, maybe?
    Gnomes.... garrrrrr

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Hmm may I have draons as pets for me?....
    So i can let them grow a little on my farm and then use them to cook nice soups and other things?
    plz :P

Thread Information