Thread: Confectioner: The Experiment

Default Confectioner: The Experiment

Reading the fact that they were going to revamp the confectioner's trade, I took Justa to a confectioner's trainer and signed up.

The world felt like someone shook a snow globe, and I was one of the flakes...

I have been doing Carpentry, Fletching, and Weaving mostly... and have this vault full of recipies on several characters.

I get given a bunch of tools and a few formulas, many tools which I deleted as I had bronze, sandstone, or cedar version of them. The first thing I did was make the wooden tools for cooking (Mixing spoon, Wooden bucket, and baking spatula), and contracted someone to make me a clay scoop and brew stirrer.

A while back I had alread made an elm fishing pole and took it out to the little pond they added recently between parsinia and nuthala. The minnows have a constant spawn there, where I filled up my disk and pack with 3700+ fish and still had 3/4th of a silo empty. Wow, I thought, this could be great for making fish type food (free formula was fish soups) and my plot has a confectioners shop and a well next to it.

Then the shock hits me... Water has a minimum of 1 but an efficiency of 325, and I need 5 units of water for each soup... not to mention... I needed to make bowls to put the soup in. This required adobe clay and more water!

So... I find out that in the middle of the island of the drowned, are everything a confectioner needs.... clay, water, chickens, fish... and all the machines needed. I already had taken the fish to my silo, so I ended up making adobe bowls and hauling them to my plot. Gathering water with 650 bowls and 3700 fish, I managed to deplete my bowls, still have 2400+ fish left and had 1137 fish soups and 10 levels in Confectioner. (the soups were not deconstructable, so I sold them to a pawn broker or 2)

This ended my day last night.... my question now is to experienced confectioners... What do YOU do to level? What's my next step? When do I need to upgrade the formula I am using for making foods for levels?

Curiosity killed the Saris
    Last edited by Justa Mirage; April 10th, 2006 at 06:34 PM.
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Well... From what I hear, Fish recipes are the way to go, they take the fewest resources (and therefor trips to the farms) for a creation. What MOST people have done is level tinkerer to 100, then made Tier V bowls forever and a day.

I only got up as far as I needed for my Cheezy Baked Minnow Suprise Yum yum!!

-HratLi

Been a long time since ive done it form adobe but in the world basically do what your doin there kebabs are easier to make because the do not require water in the finished product to be created i use silos on my plot plus a pottershop and confectioner shop also a well is a stones throw away make a ton of bowls or skewers etc then store them. Upgrade your forumlas when u think exp is getting too low for the effort..fish soups, fish kababs fish jerkies usually in that order. As the tiers get higher the ingrediants needed get more fora T3 fish kebab u need terra cotta skewers, pepper and fish and for jerkies u need that plus ground salt.

Earthernware is locate don the abandoned isle as well as huge salt deposits and bluegill
    Terra cotta is best found at drift point as well as bass can b located there also
    Pepper can be found in big amounts in the valley of repose as well as barley.

When you get a rhythm going then you'll know how to do things good and ive noticed making just clayware is a slower way of lvling verses making food..for examplei lvled from 48 - 62 making about 3000 - 5000 fish products so its a matter of playing round til you find whats good for you

Wink

*A little what used to be red-headed although now it's more terracotta colored gnome pops her head up and says, "What?! Did I hear someone new has caught the madness??! Wonderful!!! Rubs her hands on the front of her cargo tunic and waves Justa Mirage to sit down on a large lump of clay besides the potter's wheel.*

It depends which way you want to go Justa, the fun way or the fast way.

The fun way is to actually cook, but it entails the gathering of a lot of different resources, and that makes you a bit insane trying to find places to store all the resources in enough quantities. And when you cook the more complicated recipes you also spend a lot of time hopping all over the empire to gather the resources you need.
    The Island of the Drowned is a good place to set up your disk to start cooking especially since it sounds like you live nearby and a portal that will take you to Granite Hills (for Pepper, Pumpkins, & sheep) & Bristugo to Genevia (for sugar cane). Another good place is Sslanis. Sslanis has a trainer, it has adobe clay, fish, and the farm nearby(for cows, chickens, wheat, grapes, carrots, potatoes & pumpkins), and a portal that with one hop will take you to New Trismus (for cows, gruok, & deer), Abandoned Island (for earthenware clay, carrots, potatoes, sheep, deer, & salt) and Bristugo to get to Genevia.

Now the fast way. This way will get you to hate clay, but if you need to raise your cooking skill quickly it is the way to go. All you need is the pottery bowl formula (although having the potter skewer is nice as it uses the same amount of clay & water as the bowls and therefore you have two things you can sell to the Pawnbrokers, not just one), a source of water, clay in the tier you are working in, and a pottery workshop/potter's wheel. (If possible, have a couple of silos and fill them with the Tier of clay you are working with. If you don't have a well nearby fill most of the silos with water.)
    Fill you & your disk in the ratios you need of water & clay. Make bowls or skewers. Sell them or destroy them. Repeat until you are 100th level or the level you wish to be at. No storing of many different resources. No hopping all over the Empire to gather the needed resources. Just gather clay & water and make bowls. But it gets old fast in my personal opinion and that is a major downside.

Hope this helps you a little!

Nellie Lovett,
    the mad cook of Azure Twilight in Carmo on Order

(Ack!! *Beats head against keyboard lots!* I told you skewers, but it should of been spits. I'm so sorry!!! It is bowls & spits that use the least clay.)
    Last edited by Unicorn's Lady; April 17th, 2006 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Had a mistake that I needed to correct.
    English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over & goes through their pockets for loose grammar. -=Paraphased from James Nicoll=- Unicorn's Lady's Dalliance

Are you still keeping this up? Do you have any other comments on being a Confectioner? I'd like to hear whatever feedback you might have.

"I will take my brush from the warpaint,
    My foot from the warpath
    When you understand
    It is sadness that drives the wrath..."
    Buffalo
    Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers

Only thing I can tell you is make soups kebobs and roasts as making the jerkies is horrible unless you have the silo to fill full of salt the amount of salt jused to make jerkies currently is immense
    Given enough time and the proper temperament anything doable in game is possible
    Confectioner first last and always

I got tied up helping my wife with her dragon getting ready to do the ROP

Need to switch back to doing crafting

Will let you know (once I get something other than "fish soup" to make)
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Well my confectioner is level umm 10 or so. And aside from the fact that unless you concentrate on one type of food...

Since everything we do stacks and can't be deconned, it requires rather a lot of trips for a level 10, not to mention vault space etc.
    What I would *like* to see is more forms for buff type foods. I'd go through those no problem, but as it is? Everything is "Remove DP" and it's boring as heck, and not of any use to anyone with the recast on them. (I worked out I'd have to eat somewhere like... 600 portions of soup to remove an 8hr dp, but there is a 7 min reuse timer on it, so I would be rid of the DP before I could ever consume enough of this food to shift it.
    That's silly. That's downright idiotic, if you pardon my french. This kind of stuff needs to be insta-reuse, or it's of no use to anyone. At all. Ever. Waste of space.
    If you added/changed more of the foods to be buffs with varied duration, I'm sure people would actually buy them, especially if they stacked with other buffs, but not with consumed items like potions perhaps.
    Confectioner resources like Adobe Clay are really kind of hard to get to sometimes unless you go out to "Confectioner Heaven" in Parsinia.
    Parsinia isn't so bad to attune to, but South March is slightly different. That's rather a long walk, considering all the other schools have 99.9% of resources very easily accessible. Perhaps mix the Adobe clay in with the Sandstone?
    It could be that I just haven't found the right places, but I've put confectioner on hold for the moment.

There is a whole confectioner revamp going on.. they know it doesn't work right now.

mappam

I would love to be a Confectioner - Any Idea when the "revamp" will be done - or any idea what it will be (the VAMP part )

Post Adobe

Quote Originally Posted by Screech
    Parsinia isn't so bad to attune to, but South March is slightly different. That's rather a long walk, considering all the other schools have 99.9% of resources very easily accessible. Perhaps mix the Adobe clay in with the Sandstone?
    It could be that I just haven't found the right places, but I've put confectioner on hold for the moment.
    South March is easily attunable. Just port to Izzons Crest from Brustigo or any settlement like Parsinia. Then head SW on the road.

There is Adobe clay just above the Sandstone south of Parsinia. Its right West of the Sslanis gem mine. Just go up the hill behind the Bronze smelter and drop down.
    ~Robins (Dark Defenders)

(100)Warrior/(100)Ranger/(100)Spearman/(100)Crossbowman/(66)Healer/(20)Scout/(20)Cleric/(15)Druid/(10)Monk

(100)Mason/(100)Fitter/(100)Enchanter/(100)Weaver/(100)Carpenter

(100)Tailor/(98)Jeweler/(84)Fletcher/(71)Alchemist/(80)Tinkerer/(30)Confectioner/(80)Armorer/(86)Weaponsmith

Snibor (Adult Dragon) (68)Adv/(100)Craft/(100)Lair

Thread Information