View Poll Results: Should dragons have deferent Adventurer Schools

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

9 75.00%
  • no

3 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should dragons have deferent adventure schools?

Hybrid View

Default Should dragons have deferent adventure schools?

I think dragons should have deferent adventure schools so they can utilize different elements all there is breath or fire breath of lightning (Lunis) and Breath of ice (don’t flame me for the misspelling ) (healian ) if you study dragons as a hobby you know that there are different classes of dragons elemental Fire Earth Wind Water Lightning Storm ect.. and there are a few other classes but I think peds should not have all the fun I mean after you’re a l.v.100 what then . Craft? Lunis race forbid.

aney feed back would be great
    Last edited by lightning claw; April 11th, 2006 at 12:04 AM.

Wink

Yes there should be more adv classes and crafting too.
    Nothing But Love! That's what makes Dragons Fly!

Back in beta, I played a Dragon Druid. It was fun

There was a huge uproar when the change was made just prior to release, so I don't think you're alone in wanting that.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Kerech
    Back in beta, I played a Dragon Druid. It was fun

There was a huge uproar when the change was made just prior to release, so I don't think you're alone in wanting that.
    Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, there was a big uproar about that, I remember, and many fans were dissapointed and quit after playing/hearing about the beta because of that. Say, I wonder, if EI were to give those classes back to dragons, wouldn't that re-attract many lost souls to the game?

(Pokes all the developers in the ribs for emphasis.)

They really can't right now... they can add new classes of course but changing the system around might be disasterous. Mainly because dragons have been so use to being one class and quite honestly.... that "one" class is freakin powerful if used correctly. I'd love to have more classes as it would give me more reason to go out and "xp" with friends.

Someone mentioned extra crafting classes for dragons... One being a crystal shaper, a maker of weapon and armor crystals. Now that would be hawt!

Just my thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by Chioxin
    .... that "one" class is freakin powerful if used correctly.
    If played correctly, it is too powerful and probably crossing the line into an exploit. I did a FRAPS movie last night of my L57 hatchling owning an L80 Tremendous Arbotus. Should have made it a few days ago when he was L52 doing the same thing. My jaw hit the floor when I saw I got over 18,000 XP for it. Also have taken down an L84 Dire Wolf when I was L53, I think. Though that was a close fight. Will be experimenting with other enemies to see how well he fares against them after I reach L60 and get a new set of scales on.

Quote Originally Posted by Chioxin
    Someone mentioned extra crafting classes for dragons... One being a crystal shaper, a maker of weapon and armor crystals. Now that would be hawt!
    As I understand it, and I could be wrong, that was going to be a second prestige crafting school for dragons, along with lairshaper, and one of the reasons that we don't get any xp when crafting crystals. Of course, who knows when, if ever, that is going to happen now.

Yes ... their should be a marking difference beetween Lunus & Helian, but at same time a general path should aslo be made available for the ones that cannot choose beetween the magic of primal force and the brutal ways of the claws.
    Nalrach, Healer & Guardian, Member of the "Iron Circle" guild
    Ramti, Friendly draggy trying to wake-up from long nap.

Default yes.

Blarge. All gone. ::sighs::

A long time ago, when AE still had this game and I was very enthusiastic about the future success of this game and its world, I was far more vocal than I am today. I would write seven and ten page manifestos about the state of the game and the dragon experience. Unfortunately, while I have some of my old essays, the one that would have helped at this point is lost to computer gremlins.

I will, however, post this somewhat dated message.

"
    At current, dragons are all the same statistically. We have the same skills and abilities, and everyone knows what to expect from a dragon. I find the thought rather boorish, but as I said, this is not inherently wrong. In games like Dungeons and Dragons, the majestic creatures had but minor stat and ability differences between types, and only the strongest of them, reds and golds, truly stuck a head above the rest. Similarly in Horizons, we young hatchlings who are unable to own a lair, with no one to call parents, with only basic training begrudgingly given by masters, we are basically the same. We receive the same basic training from our teachers, and we have the same basic abilities due to our race. This makes dragons unique in that they only have one class, and divides them from bipeds drastically.

Upon reaching adult stage, I believe that the change in play experience should change just as dramatically for the adult as it would a biped player trying a juvenile. To do this, I suggest not mere statistical upgrades, for such things are mere numbers, but to allow dragons to specialize as well, or unspecialize. Dragons should have unique classes that only they can join, prestige classes for adults who have experienced the world and dedicated themselves do different paths. "

As the time, I believed that the dragon experience should be unique through all the forms and that we might be able to do this through one of two ways. Unfortunately, the staff and the game was plagued with countless issues and so my advice was rarely followed. How did they solve the problems facing dragons?

... They gave us gold rage, stopped hoard leak, and basically told us to shut our maws.

Well, this isn't necessarily wrong. Hey, no more hoard leak, and I can one-shot things! And for most dragons, this was enough. I merely accepted that my vision of what a dragon should be was different than what the development team had in mind. These days, I timidly craft my days away, spending time with my close friends, and dream of a history I myself had to carve with my own two claws.

I had two solutions for what I felt was this problem, one I knew might be looked at with skepticism, and one that would be a little more acceptable and easier to implement.

The former was the concept of dragon forms. Based in lore as being created at the end of the age of gods and the beginning of the age of dragons, there is some lore at current to support it, beyond that of khutit; when dragons came to the Prime with Drulkar, we literally took the form of dragons - who knows what we might have been before then. These forms would be made accessable through epic quests even longer and more difficult than the Rite of Passage, each with a bevvy of special attacks learned through additional quests. One instance I recall was that of a form like khutit, but with wings. This warrior form intentionally weakened itself to train under even more adverse circumstances; it lowered their power, focus, and hit points, but increased their strength and dexterity. The special attacks were mostly elemental claw strikes. Some dragon-class abilities could not be used in this form, however; tail whip, for instance, because they did not have the size. Dragon's breath and flight at half effectiveness. The concept was to allow for the complex feel of multiclassing without changing the completely unique experience that the team wanted to have.

The latter of the pair was sure to be more acceptable, not to mention easier to impliment, and that was classes. In beta, we did have rip-offs of biped classes. I was a bloodmage; that was a lot of fun. But I wanted dragons to be as unique from bipeds as possible, and that would require unique classes that could hopefully spring from the lore. Eldrich, a magic class, would have been common among the teachers at Draak before its destruction. It was a lorekeeper and history class who taught usage of the prime to myriad students of scale. It would allow for stronger primal attacks and abilities, stronger repeating spells, and so on. In addition, I also suggested the idea of faction-restricted classes, such as a lunus myrmidon that slowed attacks by X, but increased damage by Y: essentially, a two-hander skill. The helian was magic based and had alliterative names, like Drulkars Dehabilitating Dart, or something to that effect... I really wish I hadn't lost that essay.

Anyway, whether or not EI's vision for Horizons and its dragons is the same as mine remains to be seen. And that is a rather long winged way of saying yes.' But I felt like digging up the past again, for old time's sake. I really can't help but think of it every time this concept pops up onto the boards.
    Last edited by Kaerisk; October 4th, 2006 at 07:19 AM.
    Maekrux Vythulhar, the Blue Phoenix
    "Resurgam!"

Post Ha!!! i thought this post was dead

I have been working on a short 15-20 page stories trying to pass the time with out a computer . The Right of Thunder is the first of 7 schools that I have created, but as normal with mmos player made quests are rarely seen in game, but it would have opened tuglas ideas of dungeons and expanded the terrain a Lot more so new t 6 mobs could be installed. I figured it would be a mute point to submit these quests until Ei learns how to start the Geneses engine and patch the current mobs. With the way i kill i think the mobs decided that they would not respawn

Evilly grinning * I beat the withered ages *Rofllol *
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

Default Re: Should dragons have deferent adventure schools?

I would agree that Dragons should have more adventure schools, there comes a certain point where there is nothing really to aim for or achieve, then you lose all the fun from the game.

I am Dragon, hear me RAWR!!!!!

WOW i forgot this thread though it was dead. cool to see some one dig in the posts and read the forms
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Or somewhere else...

Quote Originally Posted by lightning claw View Post
    I think dragons should have deferent adventure schools so they can utilize different elements all there is breath or fire breath of lightning (Lunis) and Breath of ice (don’t flame me for the misspelling ) (healian ) if you study dragons as a hobby you know that there are different classes of dragons elemental Fire Earth Wind Water Lightning Storm ect.. and there are a few other classes but I think peds should not have all the fun I mean after you’re a l.v.100 what then . Craft? Lunis race forbid.

aney feed back would be great
    Elder, I have some few wakings past all I may be of war, aye and craft also. And I must speak that I would stand against the words ye speak, and the words of others that have spoken thus.

Were it of interest, I could speak further to my reasoning. I do not only for that of recent tide many simply make note that, and I admit due to my own poor skill in Common, my words are too ill set for their liking. Please understand, I do not take this ill. I am no great master of words and speak but poorly.

Sephiranoth, called by some ShadowSeeker
    Nobody and Nothing ever, save The Five do Feast
    A Fool that walks among the Wise

I have to say, I am not into multi-classing bi-ped classes, but it would be fun to have options that fit Dragon lore.

Perhaps elemental paths, where through questing and leveling one gets better at a given elemental aspect, things that enhance our current abilities. Only one of these specialties could be active at a time, roughly like bi-ped classes, and they would essentially add bonuses. Unlike bi-ped multi-classes, though, active specialties would be all or nothing. If you knew both Earth and Fire, you would only gain benefit from whichever was active.

For instance, if we go the path of Air then perhaps our attacks (magical and otherwise) have bonus electrical damage and a chance to stun. Healing and buff spells might have a chance to strip negative effects (like the Cleanse tech), or give a haste buff. The amount of the effects would be tier or even level dependent, of course.

One could even do simple adjustments for faction, such as when a Lunus has Fire as the active element they would get bonuses to their healing spells, while Helian would get the bonus when Water is active. The adjustments would have to be things that would balance out between the factions, such that in the long run both have relative access to all benefits.

If all of these things are affected by current stats then it would still balance out with respect to faction and training differences.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    - Albert Einstein

A very interesting proposal, I like that idea.

I am Dragon, hear me RAWR!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Theolaerynn View Post
    I have to say, I am not into multi-classing bi-ped classes, but it would be fun to have options that fit Dragon lore.

Perhaps elemental paths, where through questing and leveling one gets better at a given elemental aspect, things that enhance our current abilities. Only one of these specialties could be active at a time, roughly like bi-ped classes, and they would essentially add bonuses. Unlike bi-ped multi-classes, though, active specialties would be all or nothing. If you knew both Earth and Fire, you would only gain benefit from whichever was active.

For instance, if we go the path of Air then perhaps our attacks (magical and otherwise) have bonus electrical damage and a chance to stun. Healing and buff spells might have a chance to strip negative effects (like the Cleanse tech), or give a haste buff. The amount of the effects would be tier or even level dependent, of course.

One could even do simple adjustments for faction, such as when a Lunus has Fire as the active element they would get bonuses to their healing spells, while Helian would get the bonus when Water is active. The adjustments would have to be things that would balance out between the factions, such that in the long run both have relative access to all benefits.

If all of these things are affected by current stats then it would still balance out with respect to faction and training differences.
    i have thought along the same path for a wile now i have even made quests for Hz that can ether deepen the rift with factions or reunite the race

hears what i posed in a nother form but it still holds true to this thread

I studied Dragons as a hobby. (Yes I know there mythical beast but there cool and I wanted to learn about them)

But indeed there are factions in dragon lore and in throws factions there laid classes certain controls over the forces of nature. All Dragons have the Fire breath but as they age in to there roles and in there family’s they gain more control than just flight and Lightning and Ice.

Depending on there habitats and what class mated with which they would get controls over

Earth Dragons: the are inland often are wise and Powerful and can shake the very earth when angered Earth dragons are Xenophobes wich they enjoy there solitude from every one else but there own kind these dragon are not gifted in flight and often hide in caves with massive amounts of hoard

Fire :Volcanically active parts give these dragons more control over the force of lava and fire often these are extremely aggressive and prefer to be True warriors there true to there feelings so if you anger them most likely you have messed with a full clan and will not live to see tomorrow with out proving your self to them

Wind: now this is interesting storm and wind was faction base piece being the kinder class and storm being the ruling class wind class dragons control mezzo cyclones and other wind phenomenon

Water: is if the hatchling around a beach lake or other body of water. these dragons are very laxed and free flowing unlike there relatives the Ice class they are easy to forgive and often enjoy piece and harmony there playful a bit misogynous and are very gifted in combat and can summon Tide forces to crush there enemies or any one that wishes them harm but most just like to swim around and eat fish

Ice: is if the hatchling where born in ice and snow. Dragons that have been brought up in a harsh habitat often welled enhanced defenses, and are extremely powerful. Some boast of causing avalanches blizzards and other ice related hazards. Often these dragons are very arrogant and are very unforgiving like ice is.

Storm: These dragons show control over the lightning and damaging aspects of a storm these are Ruling class dragons living on some of the highest mountain peaks so there a combination of Wind and water and are generally chaotic good and represent balance
    Odd for a warrior dragon but they possess both skill of ruling and mercy

Or if the dragons upbringing was fort with sorrow, disperse, strife, and darkness he would turn in to a Shadow Class.

Quote Originally Posted by lightning claw View Post
    I studied Dragons as a hobby. (Yes I know there mythical beast but there cool and I wanted to learn about them)
    The thing is...those dragons aren't necessarily the dragons that live in Istaria.

Thumbs down Re: Should dragons have deferent adventure schools?

I would say no.. Only because it would out power the rest of the classes that other races posses in considering with their aids, that if Dragons were to have different Schools in adventuring. There wouldn't be much of use of Bipeds. I would perfer to have them in aid in allowing them to keep their classes as they are and our Dragon abilities to ourselves rather then mergeing them together. BUT... Thats just me

Quote Originally Posted by Sephix Runus View Post
    I would say no.. Only because it would out power the rest of the classes that other races posses in considering with their aids, that if Dragons were to have different Schools in adventuring. There wouldn't be much of use of Bipeds. I would perfer to have them in aid in allowing them to keep their classes as they are and our Dragon abilities to ourselves rather then mergeing them together. BUT... Thats just me
    so what you are saying is that dragons shouldn't be allowed their own set of specialized classes (different from the biped ones) specifically to keep over-classed bipeds better than dragons, because if dragons could keep up with bipeds people would stop playing bipeds?

More or less, I agree with that sentiment...dragons need to be made on par other ways.

My vote is for further quests and abilites, more spells etc.

I for the most part agree with Guaran, but I see little value in multiple schools at all.
    Ignem Infernum - Abi in malum rem.
    Ixatchitxl the Defiler - Fafnir who? I was here first!
    Think! Its not illegal...yet.
    Adventuring: aka Genocide, Graverobbing, and Temple Desecration.

Thread Information