Thread: How about a /setprefix command

Default How about a /setprefix command

With all of the "colorful" language I see sometimes, I thought it would be fun to try it myself. It's fun but annoying at the same time

How about a "/setprefix <text>" command line ability so you can hotkey the prefix to the chat window with the focus.

/setprefix /g <!--color r=0.7 g=0.5 b=0.1>

Then you can have the colors and groups you want to chat to in what color just by clicking.

Unless there is a better way to switch your prefix text
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Quote Originally Posted by Kumu Honua
    I want an ability to filter out the colorizations.
    x2

It's an unneccessary and distracting embellishment.

sign me up to filter out the obnoxious colours also...

x3
    25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

ADV: Centenarian Nature Walker; Rating: 162
    Craft: 1900 levels; Craft Rating: 234
    DRGN: Lunus, Adult, 100 DRAG, 100 DCRA, 100 DLSH, Expert Lairshaper (Chaos-04)

No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

If the enemy presents an opportunity, take advantage of it - Sun Tzu

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

So is dyed armor ... people just want to express themselves. If you want to filter it out that's cool, but to arrogantly claim it's some kind of "embellishment" is a bit over the top.
    Master of the "Veiled Insult" .... Observe
    [veil]Your Mother was a hamster and your Father smells of elderberries[/veil]

Quote Originally Posted by Machivelli
    So is dyed armor ... people just want to express themselves. If you want to filter it out that's cool, but to arrogantly claim it's some kind of "embellishment" is a bit over the top.
    Bad analogy.

One doesn't communicate with their armour. I can handle coloured armour because I'm not engaging it in conversation or trying to see what it has to say.

Dark blue armor doesn't make my head hurt. Dark blue text on a faded black background does.

One more for filtering.
    You're looking at now. Everything that happens now is happening now.

Incessantly prodding Gezsera while getting rid of hibernation hangover.

oooo I struck a nerve with that suggestion

didn't know all of those colorful people out there with their boisterous colors were that annoying
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34

didn't know all of those colorful people out there with their boisterous colors were that annoying
    Simple answer is yes.

Coloured text can be fun if used judiciously, Justa. When someone simply starts using it constantly in order to be "different" it's annoying and a bit inconsiderate. Yes, inconsiderate. Many people have some form of colour blindness that could make the colour chosen hard to read. Others might have a customized interface with the same result.

I wouldn’t say nerve, but you’ve done a great job exposing the narcissists among us. You can put me down as voting for a filter, I just won’t go so far as to arrogantly call others embellishing or being inconsiderate for using something built into the program. But then again I’ve never been one who let petty, trivial things like this hurt my feelings.
    Last edited by Machivelli; May 21st, 2006 at 01:10 AM.
    Master of the "Veiled Insult" .... Observe
    [veil]Your Mother was a hamster and your Father smells of elderberries[/veil]

I myself find it easier to read. Almost all of my guild uses different colored text in chat, that way we can tell each other apart at a glance rather than it being 20 lines of the same solid color running together. Color makes life fun! What if all dragons were black and white? and all bipeds wore brown armor? Boring world..
    This space for sale or rent. PST for pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by Asteral
    I myself find it easier to read. Almost all of my guild uses different colored text in chat, that way we can tell each other apart at a glance rather than it being 20 lines of the same solid color running together. Color makes life fun! What if all dragons were black and white? and all bipeds wore brown armor? Boring world..
    Yes Colour can make life fun but there are times when I would like to be in control of the colour I see. For example when trying to read peoples comments. Yes it is a minor annoyance and I only seem to come across it for a few seconds in Bristigo between portals so thankfully I don't have to put up with it in my conversations. Still I can see why some people would like to be able to switch off this ability

I had a dysfunctional monitor for a short while last week and the coloured text, especially the deep blue, became impossible to read. That's a one-off situation, naturally, that can't be used as a yardstick but...

...it adds an unwanted d00d element to the game IMHO. It's like reading some teenager oriented channel on mIRC.

That's my opinion though. Obviously.

How about both..... a "setprefix" and a "setcolorfilter"

I only suggested the "setprefix" not only for color (which I stopped using after my brief experiment and this thread) but it would be nice to have a command line option to be able to place the "/g" "/gu" "/say" prefix in the chat prefix preference.

Also a filter would be a "Quality of Life" addition that would filter out those who wish to use colorful language.

Either what folks have suggested or have it similar to the way most browsers allow users to configure user stylesheets which take precedence over the author CSS.

In plain English, if I've set guild chat to a bright green, then my setting will overwrite that of the different coloured text. Well, not so much overwrite, as enforce it.

Not sure if that'd be easier to implement or not.

Now I'm confused, Justa. Isn't what you want already available with the default command prefix?

well yes and no....

You still have to right click the chat window, select chat settings for that window, and then type what you want for the default prefix...

having a command would make it "hot-keyable" and you just have to press a button (or macro key if you have a Logitech G15 gaming keyboard like me) and it sets up the "default prefix" for you.

Thread Information