Thread: LOD's = False?

Default LOD's = False?

Can anyone tell me if theres a way to get these to stick as false atm?
    ingame /setpref commands and manual changes to the pref file havent been workin. A Dev reply on whether them not stickin is an oopsy or not would be nice if thats the case. Thx.
    A dark shadow in the night skies...

I would apreciate this information also. Since the patch I've been trying to restore my old graphics setings, only to have these reset to true all the time..
    Lumineux Talar

Greetings,
    What don't you like about the characterLOD? Have you tried increasing the graphic detail levels?
    Also, what settings do you prefer / run with?
    -Reyem
    I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strangely, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

I'll chime in my 2 cents here cause I have the same complaint. The LOD has been very anoying in that if you have the camera zoomed out fairly far, a necessity with ancient dragons, all the other characters nearby will switch to their lower level detail and texture or they won't go to the higher detail when they move closer to your character. I've had them stay in their lowest levels until I swung the camera all the way around so that they were closer to my view point than my own character then wait a few seconds for the client to recognize that it should be using the high detail/texture models and make the change.

Also, I don't like to have my ancient popping from high to low texture as I move the camera about. I have increased the slider close to 3/4 of the way towards quality, if I recall correctly here at work.

The changes made were mostly good, except that a lot of the flexibility that I used to enjoy with the client was removed. What would be nice is to have an "advanced" button that would enable access to manually set these items instead of having them all linked in one slider.

Yes, an advanced setting tab would be great for those who want to mess with the settings individually.

I vote for that
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

with the Graphics detail sliders maxed out. i get a view of Istaria like i just degraded my video card to a pci card. we were told that the graphics preferences file wouldnt be updated when we logged in, but it does anyway, and eliminates any tweaks that were performed in or out of game, they revert to the new default.

trees are now block images until you get close, eventually they grow leaves, at a 20% view distance. Avatars are all grey until you get in there face, mobs still render slow, appear grey then fill in colors and textures after you have already lost a bit of hp.

overall eye candy which used to draw players is now, a water color painting of both in and out of focus details that really does a number on my eyes, and has greatly reduced my gameplay time, or my eyes are a mess.

I can relate to the reasons of removing the features we did have to make it more simple for new players to tweak there settings, but we should still be able to tweak our settings out of game and at least make them stick , for those that want to gain both better performance and graphics detail.

the current client has buildings flashing in and out of view, greyed out patterns in walkways, or they change colors as your camera view moves.

overall a big step backwards, no performance gains, less detail, more graphics glitches, and no means to tweak them ourselves.

Reyem...I prefer to run with 1600x1200, max texture detail settings for terrain and characters and NO LOD's enabled at all. Its all of the LOD's that are not holdin to a false value when u try to manually switch em. This is the problem we are fightin with. I lost 8-10 fps in Brist with this last patch, and thats with lower texture lvs on terrain in the distance due to the new LOD's and turnin clutter off, since the patch.

was also disappointed at the loss of the fog distance start slider. found that rather handy.
    Last edited by R`aven Sky`Dash; June 21st, 2006 at 11:58 PM.
    A dark shadow in the night skies...

I run at 1680x1050 myself. I keep my texture details high and my vew distance at a medium-high setting, I forget exactly where at the moment. My complaints are 1) As an ancient dragon, I have the low/medium rez version of myself on screen a lot of the time, since I am fully zoomed out. And 2) I really don't like the terrain apearance where the low rez texture cuts in. I used to play with both character and terrain LODs off.
    Lumineux Talar

Perhaps some of you have figured this out on your own already, but LODs can be turned off as follows:
    * Go to your Horizons main directory (in my case, D:\Horizons) and open Resources directory.
    * Open GameConst.def in a text editor (notepad, wordpad)
    * Scroll down (bit over halfway) until you come across a line that says "TPrefSet list textureDetailSettings". These are texture detail level settings. You'll notice separate settings definitions for lowest, low, medium, high and highest settings levels. These correspond to the five steps texture slider makes in Options window, from left (lowest) to right (highest).
    * On each settings step you prefer - or on all of them if you want - find "bool terrainLodEnabled = true" and replace 'true' with 'false'. This takes care of terrain LOD.
    * Character LOD seems a bit trickier. There is an option to turn it to 'false' at various settings steps, but at least on me this appears to lock my character to low textures (there must be a hidden default setting somewhere). I've worked around this by setting 'float charTextureLODdist' to a higher value (100 at the moment) so I am always at high-quality textures no matter how far I zoom out my camera.
    * Save the changes. It seems my settings did switch back to default after a client update, so I guess it may be best to create a 'Resources'-directory to your resources_override and copy the GameConst.def into there.

Dragon adventurer 100 | Dragon crafter 100 | Dragon lairshaper 84

Unfortunately GameConst.def does not work in the resources_override directory.
    From IRC on 10-15-2005:
    <Fridlekh> gameconst.def can't be overridden, because it has to be loaded first before it starts loading other things...

Thread Information