Thread: ...Receiving New Charactor Essence...

Risla

Default ...Receiving New Charactor Essence...

Hello all!
    I'm hoping someone can help me with my charactor creation road bump.

I have searched the forums for a solution, and I found someone with the exact problem, but what helped him did not help me.

I have tried searching the Knowledge Base at https://support.istaria.com/default....n=browse_kbase but nothing loads but a black screen. (The navigation menu and title bar are there, but there is no "knowledge" to be seen!)

I will post here first, and then try the "Request Help" option at the tech site, because,
    a) I can't fill in half the info there because of this black screen problem
    b) sometimes, a fellow player who had a similar problem can also provide the best solution!

SO!
    On to my problem!

I downloaded and installed the game, seemingly, just fine.
    I launch just fine, and go through a dragon screen that seems to be scanning files,
    then a squareish dragon screen that says "initialising ____",
    then I get stuck at get stuck at

...Receiving New Charactor Essence...

It hangs at that message for about five minutes, before finally pooping out and giving me three (sometimes more) error messages, listed below.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate them! I'm at a loss, and I'm VERY eager to try this game out.

Please feel free to either post here, or PM me, if you have any suggestions or need further info from me. Below I've listed all the pertinent information I could think of.

Thanks so much for any help.
    -Risla

----------------The Error Messages-----------------

Transport Error
    Failed to send a crucial message "manifest request" because: Connection closed

Transport Error
    Error ID: 91
    The client has been disconnected because of a communications failure. Please wait a few minutes and try again. If you are still unable to connect please open a case at https://wupport.istaria.com under the category "Connectivity".

Transport Error
    Error ID: 30
    The login process was unsuccessful because the client was unable to connect to any of the player servers. This occurs when all the player servers are offline, overloaded or there is a network error. Please wait a few minutes and try logging in again.

----------------My Failed Fixes-------------------
    I've followed all the cookie/trust/security/etc suggestions at [url https://horizons.istaria.com/help.aspx[/url] .
    I've disabled my firwall.
    I have no virus software running.
    I've checked I'm running the correct version of IE.
    I've checked all my drivers are up to date.
    I've updated Windows.
    I've tried creating a new charactor on Blight, Chaos, and Order.
    I've tried logging in with numerous combinations of 'launch options' (full scan, .NET patcher, reset patcher, etc)
    I've tried logging in numerous times over the last 20 hours, incase this was a server side issue.
    I tried disabling my sound devices (it was listed as a "fix" for someone else with the exact same problem on the forums).

----------------Untried---------------------------
    **edit appears to apply only to Microsoft Office users**I can still install service pack 3 (uhg!)

I can still try uninstalling my prefered browser, Avant. It's my default browser, and even when I set IE to be my default, Avant still launches instead sometimes (not sure why). I really don't want to do this though... it IS my prefered browser, and since it's just a build on IE, even the odd times when Avant launches instead of IE, the "guts" of it should still be IE6+.

---------System Specs-------------
    (this is what was asked for in the Tech Support spec area, wich coudln't be filled in entirely because some boxes just black out and eat text)
    Service Pack : 2
    OS Directory : C:\Windows
    Local Admin : Yes
    Horizons Directory : C:\Games\Horizons
    Resolution : 1024 x 768
    Desktop Resolution : 1024x768
    Processor Type : Intel Pentium 4
    Processor Speed : 2.40GHz
    RAM : 768MB
    Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT
    VC RAM : 256RAM (I think!)
    Horizons Resolution : not yet applicable
    ISP : ClearWire
    Geography : USA, Oregon (in a city, not a remote area)
    Connection Type : Other- ClearWire "hi speed" wireless (feels like DSL)
    Network Setup : Two computers (including mine), are networked through a hub, wich then goes through a ClearWire wireless modem.
    Sound Card : Realtek AC97 Audio (??)
    Last edited by Risla; June 22nd, 2006 at 08:27 PM.

RiddlerX

I had the same problem, and solved it by disabling my soundcard. Then after u have recieved the charater, log out an enable soundcard again.. worked for me

Risla

Thanks for the response.
    Disabling the sound card was one of the first things I tried, since a lot of posts here are pointing out the sound card / device / drivers as a possible culprit.
    Didn't help though.
    Again though, thank you for the response and suggetsion.

-Risla

Risla

Whoops! It seems I can't edit anything but my most recent post.
    So, here is an amendment to my first post.

Adding to the list of failed fixes...
    I've completely uninstalled my prefered browser in case it was interferring in some unseen way with IE.
    I've updated DirectX.

All that remains on the untried list...
    I'm going to try reinstalling the game to the default directory, instead of my designated Games directory.
    (Since the game seems to start, but can't find this "Charactor Essence", I don' think this is the problem, but I'll try most anything twice!)

-Risla

Dotcher

Hi,

This sounds like a network issue. Horizons needs ports 47701-47704, 47101-47110 open to connect to the game servers - it might be worth checking that these are open on your router, and checking that your ISP doesn't block them.

(From a quick look around google, it seems Clearwire are known to be a bit aggressive with their port blocking - it might be worth contacting them and enquiring.)

Risla

Hi Dotcher,
    Thanks for the reply!
    Yeesh, I really hope Clearwire, my ISP, isn't the problem. That would stink!

I did find something interesting while looking at my firewall and port stuff though... while trying to figure out just how to open specific ports (first time trying this!) I realised that, after uninstalling and then reinstalling Horizons to a different directory, the firewall exception "horizons.exe" was still actually pointing to the old directory. I had to delete it and make a new exception for horizons.exe.... boy THAT could have become a huge mysterious headache down the road!

So even if the port tinkering doesn't fix my problem, I'm glad I'm trying it.

Thanks again.
    The search goes on...
    -Risla

"Loading character essence" means it is waiting for your character's information to arrive from the server. Thus it has nothing to do with your specific HZ install, as such. It is most likely a network error - or something locking up the process so that it can't receive the data. (As in the case of the sound card issues of late.)

You should try monitoring the network traffic as you try and start the game. If there is above ambient levels of traffic (like a few k in) then your machine is at least receiving the data.
    Last edited by tramsan; June 24th, 2006 at 01:45 PM.
    You're looking at now. Everything that happens now is happening now.

Incessantly prodding Gezsera while getting rid of hibernation hangover.

Kruel Intentions

Interestingly enough...I just got the same error.

I didn't have the patience the OP has so I rebooted my machine and now I am just getting a blank black screen with the program not responding at all.

I am open for suggestions as well.

First suggestion would be, if you have a Creative soundcard, disable it.

Risla

::cries::
    It IS my ports, wich ARE blocked by Clearwire.

What a disapointment!

Thanks again for pointing out what ports need to be opened, Dotcher.
    That probably saved me who knows how many further hours of trying to figure out what was wrong on my end.

::turns red::
    ::emits steam::

Am I more disapointed I can't play game? (most known game ports are blocked!) Or am I more ticked at Clearwire?

-Risla

Can always look into another ISP...
    25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

ADV: Centenarian Nature Walker; Rating: 162
    Craft: 1900 levels; Craft Rating: 234
    DRGN: Lunus, Adult, 100 DRAG, 100 DCRA, 100 DLSH, Expert Lairshaper (Chaos-04)

No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

If the enemy presents an opportunity, take advantage of it - Sun Tzu

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

Risla

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor
    Can always look into another ISP...
    Oh I will, I WILL!

**delete, delete, delete... I must refrain from simply ranting**

I'd have never signed up with Clearwire if I knew just how many ports they block, or limit bandwidth on.

Unfortunetly I think I'm contracted to remain with them for a few more months, and I chose Clearwire to begin with because I haven't got a landline (regular phone-jack style line) to my home. So wireless, satellite, and cable are the only options. Clearwire is about 1/4 the price of my other choices.

::sigh:: Guess now I know why. What's that old saying about things that "seem too good to be true" ?

-Risla

Well... You could ask them to allow these ports for you... If not you could always threaten with whatever action is appropriate where you live because of failure to provide contracted service.

(Ps, there's a rants forum down below where you can steam to your heart's content!)

Risla

::cough::

As an update, it was actually my router. I'm so glad I refrained (somewhat) from badmouthing my ISP too much when I thought it was them.

I'm still having some difficulties with the ports, but as it's a hardware problem I'll just go ask over in that section.

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions, everyone.

-Risla

Thread Information