Thread: A new day

Default A new day

I'm hoping that what follows is within canon and should there be any inconsistancies, please let me know...Anyways, without further ado...

"The dawn comes at your blessing! The sky is stained blue at your will," keened a shrill voice, cutting across the stillness of the Aradoth sunrise. "We live and breathe by your grace! Gods, giude our steps today. Allyssa, take us into your embrace. Istara, hold our heads high. Brobbet, safeguard our journey. Kasha, mighty mother, we give ourselves to you today, as all days that were and that will be!"

Lowering it's hands, the Sslik cleric watched the first rays of the sun paint the clouds pink. It was a thinly built creature, with a hide of bronze scales and a crest of green feathers making a bush out of it's head. It stood upon a hill that rose above the surrounding trees, the crumbling ruins of some ancient structure crowning it. The Weeping Feather clan stirred at the morning prayer, waking up slowly and blinking in the growing brightness.

"Rather short for a morning prayer, don't you think," said a quiet voice near the cleric. "You did not give Niatha Moraven her due, nor Drulk."

"Shadow Spear, your worries are the battles our clan fights, not to whom I pray," the mystic replied, stooping down to retrieve his staff. Ruxus teeth and gruok bones rattled as the Sslik leaned upon it for support. "Niatha is not with us, but against us, and Drulk does not care for the safety of a lowly band of Scaled. Perhaps someday, when we reach our promised land, we will once more sing praises to all of the Gods."

"Perhaps, Mist Eye, perhaps," Shadow Spear sighed, hefting it's namesake weapon and looking out at the wide plains that they still had to cross. "Does Kasha have any wisdom for how we are to get to the Great River without being set upon and slaughtered by Softskins?"

"No, She does not," Mist Eye sighed, looking down at it's feet. "But as I prepared for the morning prayer, I could not get the name of Sleeps with Crows out of my head. Perhaps it has your answer?"

"Hmph. I would think that you would not send me to your rival," Shadow Spear snorted, before turning to walk away. "And where is the Shaman this morning. I did not see it as I walked up here."

"Sleeps with Crows is with Long Leaf and Crimson Tail, at the edge of the trees," Mist Eye said quietly. "I may not approve of Shamanism, nor does Kasha. However, I cannot ignore it's uses. Sleeps with Crows knows many things about the land that I cannot understand, and has a power over Nature that few in the Iron Fangs can match. Certainly none in our Clan can. It will have your answer."

"Thank you, Mist Eye," Shadow Spear said, bowing it's head to the cleric. "If you would, have Dagger Maw order the Clan and get them fed. No fires, the meat will be raw this morning as befits a true Scaled. We will leave these forests by midmorning, no later."

Without waiting for a reply, Shadow Spear walked to the bottom of the hill and through the trees. It's hide was a dark blue with black tiger stripes, with a few pale scars marring it's dark beauty. Thick muscles rippled underneath, years of hard labor and harder combat showing their benefit. It's snout was long and thin, teeth jutting out of the lips at odd places. A wolf's skull rested upon the Sslik's head, the only clothing worn by the big reptiles. A few minutes of walking brought him to the edge of the trees, and to Sleeps with Crows.

The blunt headed Shaman was teaching his two disciples how to utilize the powers of Nature and Blight. Long Leaf was a Druid, though barely two decades out of the shell, and Red Tail fancied itself a Reaver and younger still. Shadow Spear tolerated them simply so that the Clan had two more members, but it knew that life with the larger Tribe would be difficult for the two. Few practiced pure Nature after the fashion of he Dryads, and fewer still adopted the combat style of the hated Fiends. Even Shamans were less welcomed, but their spiritual power was not to be dismissed readily.

"Kasha said you would come to me," Sleeps with Crows mumbled, looking up from the lesson. "She told me that the old one would send you here, because it has lost Her favor. Perhaps it should be praying harder."

"Sleeps with Crows, you would do well to show some respect," the big Warrior growled. "I value your skills, but ever your mouth makes me regret keeping you with us."

"Hush, hush my chief," the Shaman replied, scooping up a handful of the sod that stretched out as far as they could see. "I respect it, but what fun is there in not poking a bit of fun at it?"

"What you do goes beyond fun," Shadow Spear snarled, then took a moment to compose itself. "What have you to say?"

"Kasha told me to speak with the land, to commune with it while the sun rose," Sleeps with Crows said quietly, closing it's eyes. "There are no softskins between here and our next stop. If we follow the rising sun, we will find a road. Follow with the setting sun to our left and we will find a small forest, with game and room to hide ourselves. This forest is but a day from where the Iron Fangs are to gather on the shores of the Great River."

"West till we find a road, then south till a forest," Shadow Spear mused, then looked at Sleeps with Crows again. "And there are no softskins between us and this forest?"

"At this moment, no," Sleeps with crows said, shrugging. "That may change, but it is the only way we will find shelter for the night. Look."

With that, the Shaman held up it's hand, letting the sod rest upon it's outward stretched palm. Slowly, the dirt took shape, flattening out and spreading past the fingers of the Sslik. A great flatness, broken only one one edge by miniature trees, was revealed. Tiny figures emerged from the trees and advanced across the dirt until they came across a slight depression in the surface. Turning, they moved along the road for a short time, then stopped. Trees sprang up to surround them, then the entire map turned to dust once more. As the dust crumbled to the ground, Sleeps with Crows nodded.

"Such is the vision I saw, and that is what we must do," it said softly, then smiled. "We are almost to our new home. I wonder what it will be like..."

"Twin Lakes did not say," Shadow Spear replied. It paused, then smiled. "But it did say that this new land is one where only the Scaled and the Furred can dwell comfortably, and the Furred do not leave the northern part. The Ice Feather and Thunder Crest Tribes are already there, and soon all of the Scaled will have left the land of the Softskins. The Iron Fangs are not the only Tribe on the move."

"Do you think Silent Whisper will be at the Great River when we arrive?" Long Leaf asked quietly. The young Sslik was a pale green with deep brown eyes. "I have friends among that Clan."

"Only Kasha knows which Clans of our Tribe made it," Shadow Spear said sadly. "We were one of the last to hear the summons, so it is likely that they will be there before us. But Silent Whisper had to move past both Aughundell and Tazoon, while we only moved past Feladan. Theirs was a far more dangerous road."

All four Sslik fell silent for a moment, thinking about how they had made it this far. Their Clan was small, fewer than two hundered, and of those only twenty were fighters. Ten years ago they had been one of the largest Clans and called themselves Iron Feathers. Then the elves and dwarves had waged a bloody campaign against them. Attrition favored the more numerous mammals, and so the Iron Feathers had fled. As their numbers dwindled, they changed their names to Weeping Feathers and spent their days in sorrow, waiting for their doom.

Then a runner had come, bearing a message from Twin Lakes, the Cheif of the Iron Fangs. The Tribe was to assemble on the far West of Aradoth, at a river so wide you could not see the other side. Once all of the Clans were together, they would journey over to a place where the Softskins would have difficulty in attacking. It would be a land of relative safety, where the Sslik could begin to grow strong. Already two Tribes had made the migration, and were said to be building a new city in the south. The other Tribes were gathering as well, though in places unknown to the Iron Fangs.

"Prepare yourselves for journey," Shadow Spear said, turning back towards the forest. "We will leave soon, and meet with our kin. Kasha willing, there will be no softskins who are looking for new Scaled slaves or skins."
    Ssilmath Torshak, Paladin of the Lost, Shaman of the Damned, Master Armorsmith

My other "crack would be cheaper" hobby
    http://ssilmath.deviantart.com/

Nice story.
    Hopefully it will continue, so that we can hear what happens to the Weaping Feathers on their continued journey.

Default The Exodus - Part 1 - A New Day

Okay, the ******** server software would not let me edit the above post, so here is the revised (But not proofread...my editor is currently away) story...

"The dawn comes at the Gods blessing! The sky is stained blue at the Gods will," keened a shrill voice, cutting across the stillness of the Aradoth sunrise. "The Scaled live and breathe by the Gods grace! Gods, giude the Weeping Feathers' steps today. Allyssa, take the Weeping Feathers into your embrace. Istara, hold the Scaled heads high. Brobbet, safeguard this journey. Kasha, mighty mother, the Scaled give to Kaasha this day, as all days that were and that will be!"

Lowering it's hands, the Scaled cleric watched the first rays of the sun paint the clouds pink. It was a thinly built creature, with a hide of bronze scales and a crest of green feathers making a bush out of it's head. It stood upon a hill that rose above the surrounding trees, the crumbling ruins of some ancient structure crowning it. The Weeping Feather clan stirred at the morning prayer, waking up slowly and blinking in the growing brightness.

"Rather short for a morning prayer, doesn't Mist Eye think," said a quiet voice near the cleric. "Mist Eye did not give Niatha Moraven Niatha's due, nor Drulk."

"Shadow Spear's worries are the battles the Weeping Feathers fights, not to whom Mist Eye prays," the mystic replied, stooping down to retrieve its staff. Ruxus teeth and gruok bones rattled as the reptile leaned upon it for support. "Niatha is not with the Scaled but against, and Drulk does not care for the safety of a lowly band of Scaled. Perhaps someday, when the Scaled reach the promised land, the Scaled will once more sing praises to all of the Gods."

"Perhaps, Mist Eye, perhaps," Shadow Spear sighed, hefting it's namesake weapon and looking out at the wide plains that they still had to cross. "Does Kasha have any wisdom for how the Weeping Feathers are to get to the Great River without being slaughtered by Softskins?"

"No, Kasha does not," Mist Eye sighed, looking down at its feet. "But as Mist Eye prepared for the morning prayer, Mist Eye could not get the name of Sleeps with Crows out of Mist Eye's head. Perhaps Sleeps with Crows has Shadow Spear's answer?"

"Hmph. Shadow Spear would think that Mist Eye would not send the chief to Mist Eye's rival," Shadow Spear snorted, before turning to walk away. "And where is the Shaman this morning. Shadow Spear did not see Mist Eye as Shadow Spear walked up here."

"Sleeps with Crows is with Long Leaf and Crimson Tail, at the edge of the trees," Mist Eye said quietly. "Mist Eye does not approve of Shamanism, nor does Kasha. But, Mist Eye cannot ignore Shamanism's uses. Sleeps with Crows knows many things about the land that Mist Eye cannot understand, and has a power over Nature that few in the Iron Fangs can match. Certainly none in the Weeping Feathers can. Sleeps with Crows will have Shadow Spear's answer."

"Thanks, Mist Eye," Shadow Spear said, bowing it's head to the cleric. "If Mist Eye would, have Dagger Maw order and feed the Weeping Feathers. No fires, the meat will be raw this morning as befits a true Scaled. The Weeping Feathers will leave these forests by midmorning, no later."

Without waiting for a reply, Shadow Spear walked to the bottom of the hill and through the trees. It's hide was a dark blue with black tiger stripes, with a few pale scars marring it's dark beauty. Thick muscles rippled underneath, years of hard labor and harder combat showing their benefit. Its snout was long and thin, teeth jutting out of the lips at odd places. A wolf's skull rested upon the reptiles head, the only clothing worn by the big cheif. A few minutes of walking brought him to the edge of the trees, and to Sleeps with Crows.

The blunt headed Shaman was teaching its two disciples how to utilize the powers of Nature and Blight. Long Leaf was a Druid, though barely two decades out of the shell, and Red Tail fancied itself a Reaver and younger still. Shadow Spear tolerated them simply so that the Clan had two more members, but it knew that life with the larger Tribe would be difficult for the two. Few practiced pure Nature after the fashion of he Dryads, and fewer still adopted the combat style of the hated Soul Flayer humans. Even Shamans were less welcomed, but their spiritual power was not to be dismissed readily.

"Kasha said Shadow Spear would come to Sleeps with Crows," the young shaman mumbled without looking up from the lesson. "Kasha told Sleeps with Crows that the old one would send Shadow Spear here, because Mist Eye has lost Kasha's favor. Perhaps Mist Eye should be praying harder."

"Sleeps with Crows would do well to show some respect," the big Warrior growled. "Shadow Spear values Sleeps with Crows' skills, but ever Sleeps with Crows' mouth makes Shadow Spear regret that decision."

"Hush, hush my chief," the Shaman replied, scooping up a handful of the sod that stretched out as far as they could see. "Sleeps with Crows respects Mist Eye, but why can Sleeps with Crows not also have a bit of fun at Mist Eye's expense?"

"What Sleeps with Crows does goes beyond fun," Shadow Spear snarled, then took a moment to compose itself. "What does Sleeps with Crows have to say?"

"Kasha told Sleeps with Crows to speak with the land, to commune with the land while the sun rose," Sleeps with Crows said quietly, closing it's eyes. "There are no Softskins between here and the Weeping Feathers' next stop. If the Weeping Feathers move with the rising sun behind, then the Weeping Feathers will find a road. Follow with the setting sun to the right and there will Shadow Spear find a small forest with game and room to hide. This forest is but a day from where the Iron Fangs are to gather on the shores of the Great River."

"West till Shadow Spear finds a road, then south till a forest," Shadow Spear mused, then looked at Sleeps with Crows again. "And there are no Softskins between the Weeping Feathers and this forest?"

"At this moment, no," Sleeps with crows said, shrugging. "That may change, but this is the only way Shadow Spear will find shelter for the night. Look."
    With that, the Shaman held up it's hand, letting the sod rest upon it's outward stretched palm. Slowly, the dirt took shape, flattening out and spreading past the fingers of the Sslik. A great flatness, broken only one one edge by miniature trees, was revealed. Tiny figures emerged from the trees and advanced across the dirt until they came across a slight depression in the surface. Turning, they moved along the road for a short time, then stopped. Trees sprang up to surround them, then the entire map turned to dust once more. As the dust crumbled to the ground, Sleeps with Crows nodded.

"Such is the vision Sleeps with Crows saw, and that is what Shadow Spear must do," it said softly, then smiled. "The Weeping Feathers are almost to the new home. Sleeps with Crows wonders what the new home will be like..."
    "Twin Lakes did not say," Shadow Spear replied. It paused, then smiled. "But Twin Lakes did say that the new land is one where only the Scaled and the Furred can dwell comfortably, and the Furred do not leave the northern part. The Ice Feather and Thunder Crest Tribes are already there, and soon all of the Scaled will have left the land of the Softskins. The Iron Fangs are not the only Tribe on the move."

"Do you think Silent Whisper will be at the Great River when the Weeping Feathers arrive?" Long Leaf asked quietly. The young Scaled was a pale green with deep brown eyes. "Long Leaf has friends among that Clan."

"Only Kasha knows which Clans of our Tribe made the journey," Shadow Spear said sadly. "The Weeping Feathers were one of the last to hear the summons, so it is likely that Silent Whisper will be there before the Weeping Feathers arrive. But Silent Whisper had to move past both Aughundell and Tazoon, while the Weeping Feathers only moved past Feladan. Silent Whisper's exodus was a far more dangerous road."

All four Sslik fell silent for a moment, thinking about how they had made it this far. Their Clan was small, fewer than two hundered, and of those only twenty were fighters. Ten years ago they had been one of the largest Clans and called themselves Iron Feathers. Then the Elves and Dwarves had waged a bloody campaign against them, with attrition favoring the more numerous mammals, and so the Iron Feathers had fled. As their numbers dwindled, they changed their names to the Weeping Feathers and spent their days in sorrow, waiting for their doom.

Then a runner had come, bearing a message from Twin Lakes, the Cheif of the Iron Fangs. The Tribe was to assemble on the far West of Aradoth, at a river so wide you could not see the other side. Once all of the Clans were together, they would journey over to a place where the Softskins would have difficulty in attacking. It would be a land of relative safety, where the Sslik could begin to grow strong. Already two Tribes had made the migration, and were said to be building a new city in the south. The other Tribes were gathering as well, though in places unknown to the Iron Fangs.

"Prepare for this journey," Shadow Spear said, turning back towards the forest. "The Weeping Feathers will leave soon, and meet with the Iron Fang kin. Kasha willing, there will be no Softskins who are looking for new Scaled slaves or skins."
    Ssilmath Torshak, Paladin of the Lost, Shaman of the Damned, Master Armorsmith

My other "crack would be cheaper" hobby
    http://ssilmath.deviantart.com/

Thread Information