View Poll Results: Which type of item decay would you want to deal with?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Terminal. The item decays to inoperability, and all comps are lost.

11 9.24%
  • Terminal. The item decays to inoperability, and some comps are lost.

10 8.40%
  • Terminal. The item decays to inoperability, and no comps are lost.

10 8.40%
  • Non-terminal. The item decays to inoperability, but can be restored to 100% by the player.

76 63.87%
  • Item decay = I'm gone, so long!

12 10.08%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redo: Poll: Which type of item decay?

Default Redo: Poll: Which type of item decay?

Let's try this again... :/

At present, the design philosophy of the development team indicates that item decay, in some form,
    will be implemented into the game.

This seems to be written in stone.

Given this inevitability, which form of decay would you want to deal with?

1) Terminal item decay (Blighted weapon pattern). The item decays to inoperability, and all
    technique components are lost.

2) Terminal item decay (Blighted weapon pattern). The item decays to inoperability, and some
    technique components are returned to inventory.

3) Terminal item decay (Blighted weapon pattern). The item decays to inoperability, and all
    technique components are returned to inventory.

4) Non-terminal item decay. The item decays to inoperability, but can be restored to 100% through
    player action.

5) Item decay = I'm gone, so long!

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne
    Is this a poll?
    Got Cowbell?

hehe ahhh there we go, good job Khoal

two other options:

Non-Terminal Decay, All Tech Comps are Lost in Repair Processs.

Non-Terminal Decay, Some Tech Comps are Lost in Repair Process.
    Got Cowbell?

Quote Originally Posted by Helcat
    two other options:

Non-Terminal Decay, All Tech Comps are Lost in Repair Processs.

Non-Terminal Decay, Some Tech Comps are Lost in Repair Process.
    I'd considered something like that, but wanted to keep the number of options down to a reasonable level.

also, some have expressed that they feel it would be
    acceptable for mundane crafted items to decay into
    eventual uselessness, but not quest or epic items...
    Got Cowbell?

How about adding one more:

Item remains as is with no decay whatsoever.

That true Varraven, a leave it alone choice

Quote Originally Posted by gopher65
    how about my choice: Items decay, but only lose effectiveness, not becoming inoperable. ...
    That's a good idea, but it would probably "not be possible with the current technology," as a Dev would say.

Well.. the thing is, they already do have Item decay in the game so the whole not wanting to implement it until they can do it without hacking it is out I think. Every bit of the Blighted gear decays. Perhaps it doesnt decay as they intend it to, or perhaps it they dont decay like they eventually want the rest of the potential equipment to decay. Who knows.

I am all for item decay, but I wouldnt really call it decay as much as perhaps giving your equipment a servicability number say a number like 1000. A new non-damaged item would have a 1000/1000 value. As you use the item it will begin to wear out, say an axe used in combat would loose 0 points for a miss, 1 point for a normal hit, 2 points for a special attack that hits. Then when your item gets to 0/1000 your item might still be able to protect you with a minimum value, but would have to be repaired. I personally wouldnt be opposed people being able to use a weapon/armor/tool repair kits, something like that. And yes, I do think that tools should also have a decay to them.

Now another thing as well... lets see if I can explain this the way I see it in my head... if you are fighting a tier(s) below you, decay on your equipment should be slower then normal. If you are fighting tier(s) above your item, decay should be increased. So, for example, if you were using an Oak Cudgel and were fighting say a slate golem, your cudgel, would decay say 1/2 as fast as if you were fighting a granite golem. Additionally if you were using that same Oak Cudgel and wanted to fight an Obsidian golem, it would decay say 2 times as fast.

Flame away.
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

As of 49 votes almost 80% so far want a form of decay but with at least

some if not all comps salvagable. i would consider 80% a vast majority

Well, I haven't chosen anything because I'd prefer another route for item decay.

Repair be completely out of the players' hands and an NPC be set up to do repairs.

Why? Because I'm sick of the price hiking and income nerfing the Devs are doing a la Nadia and the PBs. They want to create a money sink, well there it is, staring them in the face. No money trading hands so no need for price hikes and no need for killing a crafters income.

Prices for repair would be governed by how much damage each piece has sustained and by level. These prices would also need to be FAIR and not based on the Vielo *cough* Mafia *cough* pricing model.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdonia Honeythorn
    Well, I haven't chosen anything because I'd prefer another route for item decay.

Repair be completely out of the players' hands and an NPC be set up to do repairs.

Why? Because I'm sick of the price hiking and income nerfing the Devs are doing a la Nadia and the PBs. They want to create a money sink, well there it is, staring them in the face. No money trading hands so no need for price hikes and no need for killing a crafters income.

Prices for repair would be governed by how much damage each piece has sustained and by level. These prices would also need to be FAIR and not based on the Vielo *cough* Mafia *cough* pricing model.
    I am with you 100% here!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdonia Honeythorn

I dont see how a NPC that had a fixed price rate would stimulate the economy but i do think if they put it in the crafters hand we could introduce need for weaponsmiths,armorers,etc in the world.

No NPC for repairing!

HZ is a (MM)ROPG, which means the game should live and gain by interaction with other players. If you are sick with interaction - level the craftschool far enough to be able to repair all.

And for Item-decay, i have another option in my mind, which i got from a SRPG of former times - don't ask me which though.

In that game all items had a decay by usage, not simply wearing it. Means weapons decayed while fighting, armors by being hit, tools by being used.
    All of them could be repaired, either by yourself if you had the skill or by a NPC.

When decay was in range from 0-25% (means item had 100-75% of its durability) price for repairing was low and item was at 100% of its former durability.

Decay 26-50%: Price was higher and there was a certain - at this stage really low - chance of the item being destroyed in the attempt of repairing.(Wait, there is more to come!)

Decay 51-75%: Read "Decay 26-50%", only higher chance of item being destroyed in attempt.

Decay 76-99%: Read "Decay 51-75%", highest chance of item being destroyed in repair-attempt AND a certain chance the item was destroyed while in use. I can remember this was even pretty realistic as critical attack from an opponent had a higher chance to destroy your weapon/armor!

Decay 100%: Self-explaining

AFAIR the chance of an repaired item being destroyed in the attempt to repair it was even influenced by the skill of the one trying it. It always gave me a heartbeat when i had to decide "Do the repair yourself with lower skill than NPC, but saving coin - or spend the money and have lower chance of the item being destroyed"...

Psssst how about a new crafting class....

"Mending"

(just kidding)
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

i dont know what the use of item destruction shall be

but i would be very very frustrated if my items would be destroyed, regardless what time it needs (smelgor mentioned an example 8 hous per day, then 1 year)

i want to have fun in Horizons and i dont like to hunt for good stuff and then see them depleted and gone. Think about your rare epic item ...

im fine with decay at all if i can pay/repair self my stuff with an average effort

I would say from the other threads and the results of this poll, that item decay in the fashion the dev's envisioned (decay to eventual junk) which was in reponse to "we need an economy!?!" threads of days past, is for the most part not what players had in mind.

I think the lesson here is not to let one or two loudmouthed posters cause the game to go down a path which the majority doesn't believe will add anything worthwhile to the game.

I said it before and I'll say it again. The economy will repair itself once shard populations increase. The nadia changes have helped as well. Now if they could just fix the few comps that don't drop or are used in too many techs (redistribute the techs more evenly across the comps in game), I think both adventurers who hunt comps for profit would be happy, and anyone who wants to buy them affordably would be happy as well.

As far as the decay goes, I think All but the final tier should decay (if they over-rule our comments and implement it anyway). So for now, that would mean tier 1 thru 4 has some form of decay, but Tier 5 does not. If such a day comes when all things are implemented in tier 6, then Tier 5 can be made to decay, Tier 6 can be everlasting. Old event items and attuned items are excluded form decay.

That's my 2 coppers worth. Spend it wisely.

Thread Information