Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To Amadan or Not to Amadan

Angry Here here!!

3) The client is garbage. We know it, they know it, and replacing it with something usable would go a long way to improving the feel of the game. This would also be a hell of a lot of work.

If my interpretation of events is correct then EI owns the client, and therefore have the potential to fix a huge gap in performance by re-writing the dang thing.

That is the part where I start giggling again, because anyone who believes that will happen has most likely been standing too close to a burning PCB.
    [/QUOTE]

I hear you and agree 100%. The current client is total garbage, just I don't believe "They know it", meaning EI. They said it was "very stable".

Jeez, just the way you can actually it watch it render each part of the scene makes you think it's written in VB. Saying it is "slow" doesn't even come close to how bad it really is. I have a very fast PC, great gfx card, and 3 gigs of ram, before anyone foolishly tries to say it's my system...

The game barely takes advantage of your $200-$500+ gfx card. None of it's features, ram, new technology or features, even FSAA (which is old hat these days, and I enable it in *every* game I play). Thing FSAA isn't important? Try going to Tazoon. Bleah.. makes me want to puke. Looks like a year old game when you go there.

Logging in takes an eternity compared to almost every MMO out there. It's slower than UO was when UO was beta, and that was what? 6-10 years ago? That game had a notorious slow and buggy client back then. It's improved a great deal since then. Hz barely has - client-wise.

5 players in the same location causes 1-2 of them to get kicked outta the game or lag everyone to hell. I played EQ on raided with 40-50 players in the same area, and lag was tolerable, many YEARS ago.

The memory leak is STILL here, and makes you shut down the game after only a few ports. I've checked my task manager, and the game has taken up over 1.4 GIGS after only a handful of ports. I hear this doesn't happen to everyone. *THIS* should be investigated as a means of getting this bug fixed once and for all. If it's hardware dependent, how far away can a fix be? (I'm a principal software engineer BTW)

The X-Fi and Audigy 2 sound cards still don't work with the game, unless you can find a very specific, and OLD, driver version, that I've never been able to attain (nor really want to, and my other, new games suffer). Also, that workaround doesn't work for everyone either.

Many quests are bugged, or are "easy" to break.

Monsters can climb unclimbable slopes (when aggroing on you), love that one. They can travel thru walls, structures, etc. Yep, that's fair.

Monsters don't appear in new areas you travel through until you wait there for a while, then suddenly, you are completey surrounded. Same for npcs. Pathetic.

Minor stuff:
    KT/Dragon form has silly graphics glitches, some /selectnextcorpse or whatever commands don't work, or never really did (like actually selecting the "next" target/corpse/etc, not just the closest one. There's no way I could find to toggle throught each nearby target, be it corpse, npc, or monster. This is a standard feature in every other MMO. We can only select the closest one. I can just click on it to do that, unless I'm an adult, ancient dragon, which makes it nearly impossible to select resources, corpses, etc, that are anywhere near you.

Ack, sooo many more I can't think of right now. I'll most likely post this again it it's own thread. EI need to read this one, desperately.

In-game events, oooooh, wow. Fix the client and x-fi/audigy problems first.

I play on Blight, so good luck seeing an event there anyway, for good reason though.. not enough players.

It's great that some of you are optimistic. I'm a realist. With EI's lack of Hz code experience, we'll never see the changes above. Also, this engine won't attract new players, only detract them. No one is gonna join Hz for a few in-game events!!

Quote Originally Posted by HappyFunBall
    3) The client is garbage. We know it, they know it, and replacing it with something usable would go a long way to improving the feel of the game. This would also be a hell of a lot of work.

If my interpretation of events is correct then EI owns the client, and therefore have the potential to fix a huge gap in performance by re-writing the dang thing.

That is the part where I start giggling again, because anyone who believes that will happen has most likely been standing too close to a burning PCB.

I hear you and agree 100%. The current client is total garbage, just I don't believe "They know it", meaning EI. They said it was "very stable".

Jeez, just the way you can actually it watch it render each part of the scene makes you think it's written in VB. Saying it is "slow" doesn't even come close to how bad it really is. I have a very fast PC, great gfx card, and 3 gigs of ram, before anyone foolishly tries to say it's my system...

The game barely takes advantage of your $200-$500+ gfx card. None of it's features, ram, new technology or features, even FSAA (which is old hat these days, and I enable it in *every* game I play). Thing FSAA isn't important? Try going to Tazoon. Bleah.. makes me want to puke. Looks like a year old game when you go there.

Logging in takes an eternity compared to almost every MMO out there. It's slower than UO was when UO was beta, and that was what? 6-10 years ago? That game had a notorious slow and buggy client back then. It's improved a great deal since then. Hz barely has - client-wise.

5 players in the same location causes 1-2 of them to get kicked outta the game or lag everyone to hell. I played EQ on raided with 40-50 players in the same area, and lag was tolerable, many YEARS ago.

The memory leak is STILL here, and makes you shut down the game after only a few ports. I've checked my task manager, and the game has taken up over 1.4 GIGS after only a handful of ports. I hear this doesn't happen to everyone. *THIS* should be investigated as a means of getting this bug fixed once and for all. If it's hardware dependent, how far away can a fix be? (I'm a principal software engineer BTW)

The X-Fi and Audigy 2 sound cards still don't work with the game, unless you can find a very specific, and OLD, driver version, that I've never been able to attain (nor really want to, and my other, new games suffer). Also, that workaround doesn't work for everyone either.

Many quests are bugged, or are "easy" to break.

Monsters can climb unclimbable slopes (when aggroing on you), love that one. They can travel thru walls, structures, etc. Yep, that's fair.

Monsters don't appear in new areas you travel through until you wait there for a while, then suddenly, you are completey surrounded. Same for npcs. Pathetic.

Minor stuff:
    KT/Dragon form has silly graphics glitches, some /selectnextcorpse or whatever commands don't work, or never really did (like actually selecting the "next" target/corpse/etc, not just the closest one. There's no way I could find to toggle throught each nearby target, be it corpse, npc, or monster. This is a standard feature in every other MMO. We can only select the closest one. I can just click on it to do that, unless I'm an adult, ancient dragon, which makes it nearly impossible to select resources, corpses, etc, that are anywhere near you.

Ack, sooo many more I can't think of right now. I'll most likely post this again it it's own thread. EI need to read this one, desperately.

I play on Blight, so good luck seeing an event there anyway, for good reason though.. not enough players.

It's great that some of you are optimistic. I'm a realist. With EI's lack of Hz code experience, we'll never see the changes above. Also, this engine won't attract new players, only detract them. No one is gonna join Hz for a few in-game events!!
    Happy, and you expect all this address how fast now? Had you not noticed that TG had 2.5+ years to address all that you have brought up, EI hasn't even been here a week yet. I personally think that they are entitled to at least a week to get up to speed and a little bit of time to get it all fixed before you excoriate them for not doing it.
    25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

ADV: Centenarian Nature Walker; Rating: 162
    Craft: 1900 levels; Craft Rating: 234
    DRGN: Lunus, Adult, 100 DRAG, 100 DCRA, 100 DLSH, Expert Lairshaper (Chaos-04)

No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

If the enemy presents an opportunity, take advantage of it - Sun Tzu

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

Stable doesnt mean perfect.

UO on its inception was a 2D game with way way way crappier gfx then this game has. If youve played UO's newest updates in the 3D mode, it is so laggy it is not playable in most instances and most people I know that still play it go back to the 2D mode to play.

As a principal software engineer Im sure that you would know that not only memory leaks can account for eccessive memory usage. The game does have a nasty habit of storing useless graphics information about areas that you are no longer in. It would be nice if during a port that old renderings would be flushed so that the memory would be more wisely used.

Horizons is not the only game that has issues with the new SB drivers. I have several other network games that I have to disable my audigy2 card to be able to play. Im just glad I have an on board non-SB card I can use in those instances.

I totally agree with you on these points.

Minor stuff:
    /snc stands for Select Nearest Corpse and thus the command is not broken as you claim. I have never tried to use a next nearest target in this game, as I found it useless to do so here. Resources were made non-command targeted in beta to stop people from macroing their way through resources (as is why several other changes have been made to change the way that the hotkeys work). Dragons in their larger states are naturally a much larger target. There are only a few ways they might overcome the target size issue, but Im sure it may be looked at since several of the new EII employees are dragon players as well.. and perhaps have the same concerns with that.

I dont play on blight, but am unable to attend most events as I work during prime times. That said, I hope that they can have an occational game event along with working on the code... those jobs should be done by completely seperate people if at all possible and thus would allow for them to be able to coexist.

As being a Realist, you should be more exacting in your statement. Most people could care less what the engine is, most people do not even know what a game engine is. The thing that will encourage/discourage people comming to the game is the client and what is presented to the customer. If the product that the user sees is enjoyable and Playable, the people will come. If the client is laggy, unfinished looking, unstable the players will leave. Content is nice and needed too, but the client is what the customer sees, it is what the customer has to use as its interface with the world of Istaria. If that interface is unusable, people will not stick around to see what Istaria has to offer them.
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

As being a Realist, you should be more exacting in your statement. Most people could care less what the engine is, most people do not even know what a game engine is. The thing that will encourage/discourage people comming to the game is the client and what is presented to the customer. If the product that the user sees is enjoyable and Playable, the people will come. If the client is laggy, unfinished looking, unstable the players will leave. Content is nice and needed too, but the client is what the customer sees, it is what the customer has to use as its interface with the world of Istaria. If that interface is unusable, people will not stick around to see what Istaria has to offer them.
    Yes, I was playing WoW for two years, despite the sometimes terrible lag on tuesdays, the game was pretty stable, load times quick. I still can't believe that it takes me 4-5 min to log into this game.
    Hiko - Former Defender of Shadow
    100 Knight of Creation Hybrid
    -= Disciples =-
    BOYCOTTING THE SUMMONED SHIELD OF CREATION AS OF JULY 17TH, 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Hiko
    Yes, I was playing WoW for two years, despite the sometimes terrible lag on tuesdays, the game was pretty stable, load times quick. I still can't believe that it takes me 4-5 min to log into this game.
    I never played WoW. I did play SWG and that game took between 3-6 minutes for me to login.. the only difference I see between the games is SWG put a full screen interface directly after the login window. They had a nice little loading bar that let you see the loading process. But it still took a while to actually get in to play the game. The only game that took less then 1 minute to login to and play that I have ever played was a MUD.
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

I agree ... I played DAoC, WoW, EQ, EQII, FFXI, GW, AO, and others that I just don't want to bother listing. Logging in on any of them definitely took time, some longer than others. At least, in this game we don't have to go through it to walk into the next "zone" (as in old EQ)...
    http://horizons.gamersinfo.net

The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
    Max DePree

What we anticipate seldom occurs; what we least expect generally happens.
    Benjamin Disrael

Thread Information