Thread: Truth be told!

Default Truth be told!

I stated how I feel about irc and it was the wrong venue for support of the game. Now I have to comment on another problem I have seen with Tulga/HZ.

It seems to me developers can't become close friends with the player base if they really want to make a great game. This is how it had become with many a player and the developers of HZ. It is and we have seen to become a stake in the heart of this company. The company can be friendly but not friends for the sole purpose when making a game and one as complex as a MMORPG. It will lead to where only the few will be heard and the rest will be stomped on and silenced. Sure it is great to get feed back from the fan base. But you need to make a plan and stick to that plan. I have seen way to many times where because of the friends of the developers that ideas would be scraped and things never thought of or on the plate would be put on the list and placed at the top of the work schedule.

I purpose to the new owners don't let this happen again, it has sunk one ship and I think with the right development and vision HZ can become the game it should be or should have been.

I would have to agree, favoritism is an ugly thing.

The only way to be impartial and objective is to keep some professional distance; that way leads to respect. This would also preclude any feelings of preferential treatment, advance information, confidential information and implementing the ideas of some players and ignoring input from the rest.

Well stated Dozer.

Quote Originally Posted by D0ZeR
    I stated how I feel about irc and it was the wrong venue for support of the game. Now I have to comment on another problem I have seen with Tulga/HZ.

It seems to me developers can't become close friends with the player base if they really want to make a great game. This is how it had become with many a player and the developers of HZ. It is and we have seen to become a stake in the heart of this company. The company can be friendly but not friends for the sole purpose when making a game and one as complex as a MMORPG. It will lead to where only the few will be heard and the rest will be stomped on and silenced. Sure it is great to get feed back from the fan base. But you need to make a plan and stick to that plan. I have seen way to many times where because of the friends of the developers that ideas would be scraped and things never thought of or on the plate would be put on the list and placed at the top of the work schedule.

I purpose to the new owners don't let this happen again, it has sunk one ship and I think with the right development and vision HZ can become the game it should be or should have been.

Meh... there has to be some balance. A dev team that ignores its fanbase isn't much better than one which gives preferential treatment (not saying TG did, just saying)

Quote Originally Posted by madrain
    Meh... there has to be some balance. A dev team that ignores its fanbase isn't much better than one which gives preferential treatment (not saying TG did, just saying)
    Ok the sad part is they did ignore a part of the fanbase.

I don't think anything could be successful by ignoring their client's preferences, whether it be clothing, books, products, games....

Ignoring the customer is not a means for success. They have stated they will look for feedback from their customers and I'm fairly certain that they will. The problem comes in when only 10% of the customer base speaks for all. -- and this is a generalization, not an accurate accounting of the previous situation.

Maybe, but I've been part of other games (*cougheverygameSOEoffers*) where, if the devs interacted with the fanbase at all (rare), it was usually not in a very.. shall we say, positive, form.

I would rather a few people get preferential treatment than to be treated only as a statistic to bring in cash.

I'd rather a be in a game where everyone was a credit card then one were a few lead the direction of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by BKBanzai
    I don't think anything could be successful by ignoring their client's preferences, whether it be clothing, books, products, games....

Ignoring the customer is not a means for success. They have stated they will look for feedback from their customers and I'm fairly certain that they will. The problem comes in when only 10% of the customer base speaks for all. -- and this is a generalization, not an accurate accounting of the previous situation.
    True, but you must also remember that they can never make 100% of the people happy. Sometimes they will have to displease people. That's why a happy medium must be found - to avoid the favoritism, but not alienate the players and make them feel helpless.

They also need to, sometimes, work against what a majority may want. A majority may come here and demand PVP, and they might listen and make everything PVP. It doesn't mean it will be good PVP, and it could mean the death of the game, since bad PVP won't attract PVPers, and PVP in any form will keep away many of this game's refugees.

Sometimes they'll have to make their own decisions and we'll just have to live with them. I still hope they maintain communication with the playerbase, though. It's a cold, lonely world when devs change your game without any player input at all (*coughSWGcough*).

Quote Originally Posted by madrain
    Maybe, but I've been part of other games (*cougheverygameSOEoffers*) where, if the devs interacted with the fanbase at all (rare), it was usually not in a very.. shall we say, positive, form.

I would rather a few people get preferential treatment than to be treated only as a statistic to bring in cash.
    I am not a big fan of SOE. But in their defence they did read the complaints but did stay on the plan they started with. Yes they could have modified some of it but they never let the fanbase control the plan it started out with. Comparing a company that has made a fortune in this industry with one that was at the most barely keeping its head above the water isn't a really great way to prove a point. Truth be told we seen what happens when a company depends and listens to the few.

There has never been a great MMORPG made by letting the few decide how the game should work.

I wonder what pong would have been like if the person would have only listened to people instead of going with his vision. Lame analogy I know but I hope it makes the point.

I'd rather a be in a game where everyone was a credit card then one were a few lead the direction of the game.
    in that case, go here

They stated that if there was a concept and it didn't "fit" the rest of the game or environment (i'm paraphrasing) that they might choose to release it on a new shard.

I think polling is good, it's fair, it represents a majority opinion and no one can really argue against statistics.

Sorry, I have ethical objections to Sony for their attempt to place software that controls your PC without your knowledge to save some bucks on CDs.

Sorry, I have ethical objections to Sony for their attempt to place software that controls your PC without your knowledge to save some bucks on CDs.
    Then if that is the only reason you best direct it toward other companies. Most of your big developers do the samething. Sony wasn't the one to come up with the idea you know. They just went with the rest of the big boys on the block.

I won't even get into what the government (not just USA either) does. If you really only knew you just might not be connecting to the net.

The STAR CHAMBER is real!!!1!!

BKB, I use a credit card with this game too - 7 times, monthly. So that's 7 x 12 @ $12.95 ea. or $1087.80 a year ... how about you? If everyone with a credit card being equal and I use mine 7 times a month to your 1 time ... what sort of volume should my voice have to yours? I'm not saying it should have more or that your premise is wrong, I'm just pointing out the logic problem in your argument here...

If 1=1 and I have seven 1's to your one 1, then... well, I'm sure you can add it up and see which has greater value.
    Putter'er of Crafts and Near Miss-Adventurer on Chaos
    Guild Leader - Council of War
    C.O.W. : "Milking the WA Daily....fear the cow"

Quote Originally Posted by D0ZeR

Kinda like Vanguard Beta... right?
    Putter'er of Crafts and Near Miss-Adventurer on Chaos
    Guild Leader - Council of War
    C.O.W. : "Milking the WA Daily....fear the cow"

Heh don't get me going about Vanguard.

Thread Information