Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Half Giant Daze

Exclamation Half Giant Daze

Some races have very weak racial abilities while others have very powerful ones. It would be nice if they were all equally powerful. TG briefly made Giant Daze a AoE attack that hit all adjacent mobs. It was a weak attack with a weak debuff but a step in the right direction towards making our racial competitive with Dwarven Toughness and Sslik Regeneration. Then, they turned around and made it a weak hit on a single target with a weak debuff and that was about the extent they touched any non dragon racial ability so far as I know.

Think of a giant throwing his weight around and the term Giant Daze. I would say a radial attack hitting all adjacent enemies and stunning them for 30 seconds. After all... it would still be weaker than 30 seconds of invulnerability in the average spawn area where new mobs like to join in the fray unannounced. At this point I will still be happy if you dont even add a new animation to go with it.

I dont think existing racials should be nerfed. I just think all the other racial abilities need to be increased to a fair and competitive medium. Give us "average joe" races something to be proud of and then we can all celebrate our differences :P Give us a reason to play the race we do other than we chose it at the beginning because the race description looked good and the leveling tunnel vision gripped us and we had already invested 6 months into the character before realizing it has miniscule competitive potential due to hampered racials.

Giants get 3 racial abilites...one passive, two active : Giant's Daze and Giant's Half Brawn. The last is a quest from Trand for lvl 40+. I don't think they're nerfed at all personally. I find Giant's Daze difficult to dispell *shrugs*
    'The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, ..., the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars' - Kerouac

I worked with Amon a while back to make some of the weaker racials usuable at least. Satyr charge and Half giant daze had no skills, so we made them automatic hits. Human magical aptitude was discussed, but the idea never went through.

Half giant daze is fine.. .satyr charge is a single target 12?s stun

Quote Originally Posted by Aria
    Giants get 3 racial abilites...one passive, two active : Giant's Daze and Giant's Half Brawn. The last is a quest from Trand for lvl 40+. I don't think they're nerfed at all personally. I find Giant's Daze difficult to dispell *shrugs*
    Yeah, I got and was immediately unimpressed by Half Giant Brawn a year and some change ago. Anyhow, I am sorry to hear you feel my racial ability is a nuisance to dispel. I recommend "detoxify self". You can master it through several different schools. Or you can just leave it in place... it's not going to make much of a difference :P
    Last edited by Tarran of Chaos; July 23rd, 2006 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AA0
    I worked with Amon a while back to make some of the weaker racials usuable at least. Satyr charge and Half giant daze had no skills, so we made them automatic hits. Human magical aptitude was discussed, but the idea never went through.

Half giant daze is fine.. .satyr charge is a single target 12?s stun
    Okay you say Giant Daze is fine because it is better than a single target stun? How so? A stun of more than 2 seconds is more powerful than Giant Daze :P Anyhow I guess you missed the point. I said that ALL schools need their racials raised to be competitive with each other. Perhaps you would like to tell me how Giant Daze "is fine" when compared to Dwarven Toughness's 30 seconds of invincibility? I am all ears and waiting...

You people don't seem to get the point so let me put it another way. When I started playing I would go to the login page and see the shard population status. It would read as follows: blight = very light, order = very light, chaos = light. Nowadays it reads as "very light" for all of them. See my point? If you want more people to play this game you need more than dragons. You need diversity but balanced races. You saying that half giants are fine because there are races with less, while there are races with absolutely powerful racials, is absurd. It should be an even playing field.

To be fair, Tarran, the population decrease your seeing may be effected by a few other things as well, not just racial abilities. You make it sound like racial abilities are the only thing wrong right now.
    Explorer 80%
    Killer 46%
    Achiever 40%
    Socializer 33%

Quote Originally Posted by Vizharan
    To be fair, Tarran, the population decrease your seeing may be effected by a few other things as well, not just racial abilities. You make it sound like racial abilities are the only thing wrong right now.
    It was not my intent for it to be viewed in the negative context but rather in the positive context and yes there are many other issues such as fixing confectioner (if thats still not done) that should also be high priority as after all it is (or was) an incomplete class, and there are quests that need to be fixed, and many more added! The key should be priority and an unfinished class should be first but balancing racials should be right up there.

Players love to see fairness, balance, and competitive races (not just classes). Nothing sucks more than to have a wide handicap between the races and be stuck with a weaker one (again classes withheld) especially in the biped multiclassing arena where players often take a class just for one tiny boost in just one area... always squeezing every drop of potential out of their character. Starting over shouldn't be an issue just because you picked a lame race but dumped 6 months of hard work into it (or even one) before finding out your racial ability is pitiful. They should be "prettied up" taking each racial ability and first proclaiming it offensive or defensive and then boosting it until they are ALL competitive with each other. Either do the damage or avoid the damage. This would encourage new players to both come and stay rather than unknowingly picking a weak race and feeling cheated throughout. This would also encourage a diversity of races which would truly help to bring the game world that much more alive and colorful enhancing everyones gaming experience each day as well as boost the player base making it that much more fun and stable. I love this game and the potential is there for it to be great but the racial abilities just have to be competitively balanced...

Last I heard Giant Daze was still an AoE automatically hit attack with a debuff to delay. It was pretty nice. If it changed then maybe its a mistake but it seems mobs still use the AoE version. That was the way it was supposed to be anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarran of Chaos
    Yeah, I got and was immediately unimpressed by Half Giant Brawn a year and some change ago. Anyhow, I am sorry to hear you feel my racial ability is a nuisance to dispel. I recommend "detoxify self". You can master it through several different schools. Or you can just leave it in place... it's not going to make much of a difference :P
    Tarran I read this and chuckled because I realized I forgot to mention sometihng. I am a half giantess in game hehe. And I dont' want dexotify self because of our ability is a 'nuisance'. I meant that I find it difficult to dispel and that makes me a little proud. I'm glad to know that when I hit something with it, the monster can't just shrug it off easy, esp if it isn't a WA mob (who I'm assuming some have detoxifies as well). So half giant abilities are not foreign to me atall. I play with them everyday, hunt extremely successfully with them everyday.

Now if I was wishing (mm the beloved daydream) I would want some Sslik Regen for those sticky spots we all get into. Gnomian Prowess cause as a berserker I shure could use a delay reduction and speed up that ole axe. Dwarven Toughness for my second ignore pain (ah to be able to alternate those, one without triggering my crit timer). Satyr Charge for the great stun, I want Dragon's breath of fire (how cool would I look), and throw in Dryad's Dazzle for the evasion and some Fiendish Chanelling for Fafnir *winks*. Then I can have it all, muahahha.

But no matter what, the first shot I take will be Giant's Daze
    Maybe I'm attatched to it lol
    'The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, ..., the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars' - Kerouac

Tarran I read this and chuckled because I realized I forgot to mention sometihng. I am a half giantess in game hehe. And I dont' want dexotify self because of our ability is a 'nuisance'. I meant that I find it difficult to dispel and that makes me a little proud. I'm glad to know that when I hit something with it, the monster can't just shrug it off easy, esp if it isn't a WA mob (who I'm assuming some have detoxifies as well). So half giant abilities are not foreign to me atall. I play with them everyday, hunt extremely successfully with them everyday.

But no matter what, the first shot I take will be Giant's Daze
    Maybe I'm attatched to it lol
    I'd say thats a purely psychological attachment. Your hunting success doesnt revolve around it, it revolves around your class(es). Giants dont have a racial ability our hunting success revolves around :P

Can you name a race whose hunting succes 'revolves' around its racial ability? Classes may benefit from a racial ability, but a race's hunting success dependent upon it? I'm not sure what you mean by this lol.

And psychological? Yes, hehe, you may have the right of it there

Can you name a race whose hunting succes 'revolves' around its racial ability? Classes may benefit from a racial ability, but a race's hunting success dependent upon it? I'm not sure what you mean by this lol.

And psychological? Yes, hehe, you may have the right of it there
    First off I am really wondering what your adventure level is? How long have you played and what races? You see... the fact that you are proud of Giant Daze amazes me and leaves me *almost speechless* because what can I say to that? Maybe "Get some more experience under your belt and then come talk to me"?

Okay here we go... races whose success depends on their racial ability: Dwarves and Ssliks. A dwarf can pull a huge number of mobs his level and then use Dwarven Toughness. 30 seconds is sufficient time to knock them all down with AoE's. Every 5 minutes you can do a huge pull with a couple smaller ones in between. Ssliks can do the same with Sslik Regeneration although the pulls would be a bit smaller because rapid healing still isnt the same as invulnerability.

*Okay here is the compare and contrast:

I just happened across some gold golems near Mahagra while aquiring some gold ore. They should have ran the other way knowing I was a half giant but they didn't so I pulled a few, waited for them to huddle around me like I was the quarterback, and then BAMMMMM! I unloaded the awesome power of GIANT DAZE! It hit one of them for a monster 4 damage. I went ahead and dispatched them and waited til Daze refreshed again. On my next pull I did the same thing and Giant Daze did a respectable 3 damage to one of them. Phew! Good thing I had Giant Daze. It really made a difference!

*quote taken from Tarran Deathrows journal on 'How I was decieved into being a Half Giant and why their racial ability blows'.
    Last edited by Tarran of Chaos; July 26th, 2006 at 01:09 AM.

First off I am really wondering what your adventure level is? How long have you played and what races? You see... the fact that you are proud of Giant Daze amazes me and leaves me *almost speechless* because what can I say to that? Maybe "Get some more experience under your belt and then come talk to me"?

Okay here we go... races whose success depends on their racial ability: Dwarves and Ssliks. A dwarf can pull a huge number of mobs his level and then use Dwarven Toughness. 30 seconds is sufficient time to knock them all down with AoE's. Every 5 minutes you can do a huge pull with a couple smaller ones in between. Ssliks can do the same with Sslik Regeneration although the pulls would be a bit smaller because rapid healing still isnt the same as invulnerability.

*Okay here is the compare and contrast:

I just happened across some gold golems near Mahagra while aquiring some gold ore. They should have ran the other way knowing I was a half giant but they didn't so I pulled a few, waited for them to huddle around me like I was the quarterback, and then BAMMMMM! I unloaded the awesome power of GIANT DAZE! It hit one of them for a monster 4 damage. I went ahead and dispatched them and waited til Daze refreshed again. On my next pull I did the same thing and Giant Daze did a respectable 3 damage to one of them. Phew! Good thing I had Giant Daze. It really made a difference!

*quote taken from Tarran Deathrows journal on 'How I was decieved into being a Half Giant and why their racial ability blows'.
    Tarran, I'm a lvl 100 berserker, 62 paladin, 58 tailor. I've been playing this game for almost a year. heh I have no 'experience'? With that horrible ability you despise so much I soloed a lvl 100 emerald golem as lvl 69 zerker, no paladin training, no healing, no gifts. Come to talk to you when I have experience? Bah. My success depends on my decisions in combat, the best utilization of my class' abilities.

Your racial ability could mean nil and void with certain classes, ie elven leadership. Incredible racial ability for range/melee, doesn't do squat for casters. To pick a class solely for its racial ability is not unheard of (like sslik regen) but to base your gameplay off it is ridiculous. I've seen many a sslik die in combat even after using their regen because of poor choices in battle. Dwarven Toughness does squat when faced with caster, go hunt some WA with that and see how great it is. The only really viable racial ability that is pretty much non limiting is gnomian prowess.

And only does 4 damage on a gold golem?? What level are you? Is your weapon up todate? I have NEVER done such little damage with that ability or any other, even as lvl 1 I hit harder than that.Giant's Daze is the one of the lesser racial abilities, yet it is not useless as you implied.

However, point is, your chosen class, how you spend training points, if you tech your gear and keep it up todate, and the way you decide to fight will be what your success in hunting revolves around. A racial ability could be a boon or just plain useless based on class decision.

Besides, you get brawn as well, +67 strength is nothing to sneer at.

I stopped hotkeying "human magical aptitude" around level 5, and never put it back. I feel your pain.

And I really loved that +5 to magic evasion... yeah that was useful as I ran around new brommel in my training tunic. Then I leveled up, and it's usefulness faded.
    torvos: shadow to chaos shard

Tarran, thanks for proving you are absolutely full of it. The fact that the damage is based directly off your melee damage shows us you haven't being playing a half giant long enough to know much at all then. There are far far worse racial abilities, and if you think yours sucks because you can't pull 30 mobs at once, then just go away.

Tarran, I'm a lvl 100 berserker, 62 paladin, 58 tailor. I've been playing this game for almost a year. heh I have no 'experience'? With that horrible ability you despise so much I soloed a lvl 100 emerald golem as lvl 69 zerker, no paladin training, no healing, no gifts. Come to talk to you when I have experience? Bah. My success depends on my decisions in combat, the best utilization of my class' abilities.

Your racial ability could mean nil and void with certain classes, ie elven leadership. Incredible racial ability for range/melee, doesn't do squat for casters. To pick a class solely for its racial ability is not unheard of (like sslik regen) but to base your gameplay off it is ridiculous. I've seen many a sslik die in combat even after using their regen because of poor choices in battle. Dwarven Toughness does squat when faced with caster, go hunt some WA with that and see how great it is. The only really viable racial ability that is pretty much non limiting is gnomian prowess.

And only does 4 damage on a gold golem?? What level are you? Is your weapon up todate? I have NEVER done such little damage with that ability or any other, even as lvl 1 I hit harder than that.Giant's Daze is the one of the lesser racial abilities, yet it is not useless as you implied.

However, point is, your chosen class, how you spend training points, if you tech your gear and keep it up todate, and the way you decide to fight will be what your success in hunting revolves around. A racial ability could be a boon or just plain useless based on class decision.

Besides, you get brawn as well, +67 strength is nothing to sneer at.
    Im 100 druid, 100 healer, 81 spiritist, 74 mage, and in the 40s with reaver, warrior, berserker, and spearman with monk and guardian a bit lower. Keeping in mind I was hitting something 50 levels lower than me (w/ a mining pick) and it is definately a single target weak debuff. It SHOULD BE AN AOE. What does this game need? Another dragon? Another dwarf? Another sslik? BALANCE!
    Last edited by Tarran of Chaos; July 26th, 2006 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tjl
    I stopped hotkeying "human magical aptitude" around level 5, and never put it back. I feel your pain.

And I really loved that +5 to magic evasion... yeah that was useful as I ran around new brommel in my training tunic. Then I leveled up, and it's usefulness faded.
    Yeah I hope the humans get something decent too man... needs to be competitive all the way around with racials and then let the classes determine the rest.

Im 100 druid, 100 healer, 81 spiritist, 74 mage, and in the 40s with reaver, warrior, berserker, and spearman with monk and guardian a bit lower. Keeping in mind I was hitting something 50 levels lower than me (w/ a mining pick) and it is definately a single target weak debuff. It SHOULD BE AN AOE. What does this game need? Another dragon? Another dwarf? BALANCE!
    For the record isn't Half Giant one of the only ones that actually got a racial quest also? Dont like your racial ability? Roll up a new toon of the racial ability you want. Dont hate, overcome and adapt. Leave the howlings for someone else.
    25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

ADV: Centenarian Nature Walker; Rating: 162
    Craft: 1900 levels; Craft Rating: 234
    DRGN: Lunus, Adult, 100 DRAG, 100 DCRA, 100 DLSH, Expert Lairshaper (Chaos-04)

No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

If the enemy presents an opportunity, take advantage of it - Sun Tzu

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor
    For the record isn't Half Giant one of the only ones that actually got a racial quest also? Dont like your racial ability? Roll up a new toon of the racial ability you want. Dont hate, overcome and adapt. Leave the howlings for someone else.
    Waste a year and some change of effort because my "toon" has a poor racial? Pick a race that is obviously over-endowed? Well gee that would add alot of diversity to the game wouldnt it?

Nope, I am on here campaigning for an improvement to my race the same way the dragons did endlessly. Apparently it pays off big in the end.

Waste a year and some change of effort because my "toon" has a poor racial? Pick a race that is obviously over-endowed? Well gee that would add alot of diversity to the game wouldnt it?

Nope, I am on here campaigning for an improvement to my race the same way the dragons did endlessly. Apparently it pays off big in the end.
    If your just NOW realizing the issues with your racial ability perhaps you'd be better served to take it off that hotkey like most humans have already done.... Now I'm an elf, we have a sucky racial ability also, but ONLY if you dont know how, when and where to use it. Used properly and at the right time its very effective... and I suspect if you made the effort to learn how to use yours it might prove to be rather effective also...

And for the record watch it with the Half Giant tears, you might drown an innocent Dryad.
    25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

ADV: Centenarian Nature Walker; Rating: 162
    Craft: 1900 levels; Craft Rating: 234
    DRGN: Lunus, Adult, 100 DRAG, 100 DCRA, 100 DLSH, Expert Lairshaper (Chaos-04)

No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

If the enemy presents an opportunity, take advantage of it - Sun Tzu

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

Thread Information