Thread: EI: Something to top Tulga on

Default EI: Something to top Tulga on

A number of people have mentioned how EI has big shoes to fill in replacing Tulga.

After talking with a few people in my guild on Order, there was a small consensus that one area where Tulga fell down on was the game Lore of Istaria. Horizons has a nice dynamic world, but when playing that game the NPCs and quests don't do a whole lot to give the world a feel of one with a rich history and diverse cultures.

There are numerous missing races and civilizations that barely get mentioned. Racial conflicts that rarely appear, and few established racial customs. I've seen lore in the forums that the WA has factions, but I've seen nothing about it in-game so far. This and a lot more.

Tulga was great at giving Istaria a future, I hope EI will also work to give Istaria a vibrant past. More storytelling Lore quests and NPCs in the game.

Something to consider making a good name for yourself with.

yep such infos would be great

some real history we all live in ^^

I found enough lore. *shrugs* I mean, you don't walk around on the streets and greet people and they give you an impromptu lesson on the American Civil War, or the French Revolution, or whatever. They talk about what's important to them now.

I would like to see more, though. Like quests where you uncover the information yourself, not listening through 20 or 30 different speech bubbles from NPC X. Yawn.

Personally I could care less about Lore then about having a worth while experience. I played a game where there was only RP... if you dont RP you get IM (Immortal or admin) killed or put in an IM restricted room until you decided to play by the rules. I didnt start playing this game because of the lore or the storyline, I played it because it was a place that I didn't actually have to do anything, or I could do pretty much everything, depending on my mood that day.
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

Quote Originally Posted by Fratricide
    Personally I could care less about Lore then about having a worth while experience. I played a game where there was only RP... if you dont RP you get IM (Immortal or admin) killed or put in an IM restricted room until you decided to play by the rules. I didnt start playing this game because of the lore or the storyline, I played it because it was a place that I didn't actually have to do anything, or I could do pretty much everything, depending on my mood that day.
    I don't think anyone here is looking for something like that. This isn't a black and white issue, where the only options are "leave things as they are" and "instant admin death for failure to RP".

I would love to see more lore put into the game. Although yes, NPCs that just give you a cities story for no reason are fairly dumb. But this sort of stuff should be worked into quests. Make the world feel more alive. Maybe even add some "history" quests for thoes who are interested to do. Just make it obvious from the begining what the player is getting into, so no one is left feeling ticked off.
    Lumineux Talar

Quote Originally Posted by Lumineux
    (...)

I would love to see more lore put into the game. Although yes, NPCs that just give you a cities story for no reason are fairly dumb. But this sort of stuff should be worked into quests. Make the world feel more alive. Maybe even add some "history" quests for thoes who are interested to do. Just make it obvious from the begining what the player is getting into, so no one is left feeling ticked off.
    I think you raised a nice point -- some people are bothered by lore when it is sprung at them and gives no benefits. I think the idea of quests that are recognizeable as 'lore quests' from the beginning is a neat one.
    snickel wigglsniff (retired) Twilight Crusaders on Unity
    poggle wigglsniff (gnomish crafter and mage) semi-retired on Order
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    A gnomish house should not just sit there, it should definitely DO something!

Lore quests... unless you are an avid lore person(or avid quest person), which I am not, would not be done unless the quest reward was more then healthy. This is why I would prefer the improvements of playability before the quests/lore. If however, the funding is there to enable both simultaniously, I could perhaps be alright with that.
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

Tulga was just getting to the point where more lore was to be woven into the game. It is my understanding that so much needed to be done to the world that at best lore could only be introduced slowly as the world revamp moved forward and more story-based quests were introduced through now-ex writers like PSB and Amon.

Istaria had no lack of lore, only a lack of time to add it to the world. Creating quests that tell a story take much more time than simple Fedex or "Go kill X of X" quests, and with so much needing done in the world things like more in-depth lore took a backseat to more important matters. Maybe if Tulga had more time with the two new hires working quests would things have improved, but all that existed in the minds of the Tulga staff is now lost.

EI at this point can pretty much do anything they want with the world now. Whether that will make sense is another matter. With the bits of lore already in-game or the established backgrounds players have built up it would be difficult to not upset any of the current role-players. (however few there may be)
    "We live only ONE REAL DAY, during which we recall false memories of living many more."
    Is it today?
    "No."

Talking There is good lore in game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal`cyon Sskyler
    Tulga was just getting to the point where more lore was to be woven into the game. It is my understanding that so much needed to be done to the world that at best lore could only be introduced slowly as the world revamp moved forward and more story-based quests were introduced through now-ex writers like PSB and Amon.
    Hal?.. you are right about TG and lore.. and of course you were there.

There is the isle that gives lore, spirit isle, you can still do that... there was the Peter Begal quest. AND.. Theres dragons!! If you have not played a dragon and want lore? You have missed the perverbial boat!!! RoP?.. ARoP? What a way to learn what happend to the world of Istaria.. maybe onesided?.. but it fills in the blanks.

Also the lore that brought all the shards together... That was a good storyline!!! If you missed it?.. Hal?.. anyone got stuff they can post?

There is a players guide as well.. that outlines in the first pages the history of races that were originally in game at launch.. it isn't accurate with all info?.. but it is a good add to the whole picture. (try http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/074...703339?ie=UTF8)

You can also use these forums to write your own history.. and RP it on your shard.

As for EI?.. I spoke to DANU, bout a month ago on Order.. he spoke of us, the players directing the game.. writing the lore.. past present and future. Get your guilds together for on-line meetings and throw stuff around... It can't all get in.. but you can say you suggested something.. and even pieces can be added to other ideas.

*this post no matter how silly is in no way intended to promote amazon.com or its subsideraries<sp>*
    As a Cleric of Harden I am duty bound to teach you his ways.
    or kill you trying!

what dynamic world ?

Being able to build a plot does not make it dynamic. I'm curious to what you believe is dynamic about the world ? Istaria is no more dynamic than any other game out there.

But to the original topic I think this could be acheived by making the world more alive. In games like WoW and EQ2 you have NPC's that wander the major cities and actually talk to you. You hear bits of conversation as you pass groups of NPC's etc. When you walk into augendahl does it feel dwarvish ? what about other racial areas ? Its the small things as well.

There is certainly enough history and mystery about the game to really make something like this happen in Horizons.

Adding structures into the world is dynamic.

It's the other supposed dynamic stuff that lamed it.

Racial Quests with Racial abilities!!!
    Royall on Order / Royal_wind_unity, Royall on Chaos
    Dinsdag on EU-Evernight (LOTRO)

more quests =more exp and lore its a win win situation and maybe if they put in interesting quests it would be massive relief from the level grind
    Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketsup
    Ssafire-lvl 100 Cleric, 100 Bloodmage, 100 Mage, 100 Druid, 90 Monk, Saris
    Safiretalon-lvl 66 dragon adventurer, lvl 32 dragon crafter, lvl 14 dragon lairshaper.
    Guild: Dark Defenders
    Horizons player since: December 21st 2003

Thread Information