Thread: Help!

Exclamation Help!

I am desperate heh. Somehow (not by my own choosing) I have been infected with an awful virus Intelligent Explorer. Its endless stream of pop ups interrupt my using the internet or being able to stay connected when logged into horizons. If anyone has successfully dealt with this thing and can give me some advice I'd be so thankfull.

These are the steps I've done so far:
    Deleted cookies, cleared history, etc
    Ran spybot, spy sweeper and adaware in both safe mode and regular.
    Tried deleting by the change/remove in control panel, this thing will not uninstall. It directs me to some bogus website, this is obviously intentional.

I've been researching the net, apparently it is a trojan? virus that imbeds itself in cookies and temp files, possibly connected to the browser. It installs a toolbar and allows an unbelievable amount of pop up spam. It will not uninstall by my known means, and the assosciated spam programs will reinstall themselves every time I reboot.

I am not able to fully convey my frustration at this point....there appears to be quite a bit of info regarding prevention, stay away, this thing is bugged, but have not been able to find a solution other than ridding myself of EI and switching to mozilla

I have been up all night trying to figure out a way to rid myself of this blasted infernal bane, even a link to some directions would be most appreciated.

ps: It is also preventing me from accessing my registar, I have a sneeking suspicion something is going on in there.
    'The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, ..., the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars' - Kerouac

Ahem, my apologies...I forgot to add this most impressive license aggreement (which I might add I NEVER agreed to) as follows :

"You grant to us the right, exercisable by us until you uninstall the Software or this agreement is otherwise terminated, to provide to you the Service of downloading and causing to be displayed advertising material on your computer, through ‘pop-up’ or other display while you use your browser. You acknowledge and agree that installation of the Software may automatically modify toolbars and other settings of your browser. By installing the Software you agree to such modifications."

"2. MINORS AND CHILDREN. If you are thirteen years old or younger, you are prohibited from downloading, registering, or using the Service. If laws in your country prohibit you from entering into a valid and enforceable agreement with us because of your age – in many countries, because you are under eighteen years of age - you are prohibited from downloading, registering, or using the Service.

BY USING THE SERVICE, YOU WARRANT TO IEPL THAT YOU ARE ABOVE THE AGE OF THIRTEEN AND ENTITLED TO ENTER INTO A VALID AND ENFORCEABLE AGREEMENT WITH US.

In addition, parents or guardians of children over the age of thirteen should be aware that the Service is designed to appeal to a broad audience. Accordingly, it is your responsibility to determine whether any portion of the Service is inappropriate for your child.

3. CONSENT TO THIRD PARTY USE. You agree that it is your sole responsibility to inform all users of computer that you have caused the Software to reside on your computer and that you will obtain their consent to this agreement before allowing them to use the computer to connect to the internet

6. UPDATES. You grant IEPL permission to add/remove features and/or functions to the Software and/or Service, or to install new applications, at any time, in IEPL’s sole discretion with or without your knowledge and/or interaction. You also grant IEPL permission to make any changes to the Software and/or Service provided at any time.

7. SERVER INTERACTION. You understand and accept that when the Software is installed, it periodically communicates with server(s) operated by IEPL and/or third party servers.

<FONT color=#ff0000>8. COLLECTION AND USE OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION AND YOUR PRIVACY CONSENT. You understand and grant IEPL permission to assign a unique software identify code to your copy of the Software. You also grant IEPL permission to collect and store information of your internet usage habit, including but not limited to information about every web page you view with the full Uniform Resource Locators, and the content of web page. You understand and accept that Uniform Resource Locators and the content of web pages you view may include your personally identifiable information. You grant IEPL permission to collect and store information on which toolbar buttons you click on, your response to advertising, the search terms you entered on the toolbar and/or all other information relates to your internet usage habit. IEPL may at times ask you for your personally identifiable information, such as name, address, email address, postal/zip code, and telephone number. You hereby grant IEPL permission to store such information in a separate database. You hereby grant IEPL permission to distribute your non personally identifiable information, to the extent permitted by law, to our partners, agents, and/or any third party in IEPL's sole discretion. IEPL does not currently enable users to access, review, edit, or delete information, including internet usage information, collected during use of the Service. By using the IEPL Software and/or Service you agree, to the extent permitted by law, to waive any constitutional, common law, statutory, or regulatory right of access to such information that you might otherwise have or acquire. If you have any further queries relating to our Privacy Policy, or you have a problem or complaint, please contact us by e-mailing us at

That email is also bogus, my email was automatically returned, couldn't find the address.
    'The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, ..., the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars' - Kerouac

Do you have any anti virus software, such as norton or mcafee? If you have it and not run a scan on it I'd try that now, it may beable to at least quarentine the virus. If not you may want to consider getting it.

Other options would be formating your hard drive, or taking it to a comp repair shop and seeing if they can get rid of it w/o having to format.

I have had problems like this before and by installing either Spydoctor (spydoctor.com) or Norton Internet Security I have been able to remove the problem, and not have to format anything, or even lose a single document. I have several computers at my house one running Spydoctor and one running Norton. They both work great, I would HIGHLY recommend you install one.
    Last edited by Mearis; July 28th, 2006 at 02:13 PM.
    Segorian_Bounty - Elder Adult Dragon - Chaos
    Mearis - Saris - All around biped crafter - Chaos
    ....Toooo many alts to list them all

Is your windows up to date? Since you are using IE, its likely a big security hole that IE had and hasn't been updated.
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ will have an online scanner you can run, and it does a ... so so job of disinfecting last time I tried it. If you were using unpatched IE and myspace, you were probably infected.

First I'd like to say thank you to everyone for the responses

I don't have Norton or Macafee and from the reading I've done I don't think it would matter...this thing becomes a program, its doing something in my registar. It and those annoying subsequent popups are seens as programs after installation and no longer viruses....a scan will not work.

As far as updated IE, no I dont' think I have...and oh yes I'm paying for that now heh. I'll try and do an update and see what it says.

Did you see that agreement? This ******** thing is storing my every frickin keystroke and reporting it to third parties ... how in the heck do people get away with this crap?

Before updating, or doing anything, go to trendmicro's site and get scanned

*nods* Will do, thanks for the advice ... I'll post my results *prays for a miracle so she can access her game again*
    I'm suffering from withdrawals here..

Aria, if you log on to Yahoo IM I can help you get this mess resolved

AAO, the site gives me two options, CWShredder and HouseCall, which one should I choose? Or either will do the trick?

Default People that create "software" like this should be in JAIL

Quote Originally Posted by Aria
    AAO, the site gives me two options, CWShredder and HouseCall, which one should I choose? Or either will do the trick?
    I had a problem just as you describe. I have BIG issues to people who try to hijack my PC. If I saw them in person, well, you don't wanna know what I'd do...

Anyway, try google again.

If it is even a remotely common trojan (whatever), then there's usually other people who were infected, and found a way to get it removed.

I had found some posts on the hijacker that was on my system, and followed the steps to remove it.

I *highly* recommend using Firefox instead of IE, AND, installing the following Extensions for it that will protect you from many trojans/hijackers/malware/malicious java code/ads, etc.
    They are:
    NoScript, and Adblock.
    I also *highly* recommend Zone Alarm's internet suite. I get warnings that pop up anytime ANY application tries to access the internet. I allow the ones I trust, deny those I don't.

I'll do a search for you on the malware you got hit with in case you are unable to (due to the malware!).

Aria, after we talked yesterday were you able to get this fixed? Haven't seen you up yet today on the game or yahoo.

Default try this..

A quick search got me this:
    http://www.symantec.com/security_res...108-99&tabid=3

(removal tool)
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com...r/FxVMonde.exe

Some more info about it:

http://www.purdes.com/blog/art.php?id=56
    http://forum.majorgeeks.com/archive/...p/t-38274.html

Gator is the one I had. I flamed the living hell outta every email address they listed.

Everyone should complain to their ISP's about 'companies' like this and get them shut down, or at least, lose their internet service. Or, get me a plane ticket there, and I'll handle the rest!!! Yes, I really get this mad at stuff like this. My PC is MINE, NO ONE has the right to use it, unless I say so. I HATE companies that produce malware, then hide being some BS license agreement, especially if you never accepted it!! My privacy is of paramount to me. You can just guess what I think of the Bush admin...

Quote Originally Posted by Aria
    I am desperate heh. Somehow (not by my own choosing) I have been infected with an awful virus Intelligent Explorer. Its endless stream of pop ups interrupt my using the internet or being able to stay connected when logged into horizons. If anyone has successfully dealt with this thing and can give me some advice I'd be so thankfull.

These are the steps I've done so far:
    Deleted cookies, cleared history, etc
    Ran spybot, spy sweeper and adaware in both safe mode and regular.
    Tried deleting by the change/remove in control panel, this thing will not uninstall. It directs me to some bogus website, this is obviously intentional.

I've been researching the net, apparently it is a trojan? virus that imbeds itself in cookies and temp files, possibly connected to the browser. It installs a toolbar and allows an unbelievable amount of pop up spam. It will not uninstall by my known means, and the assosciated spam programs will reinstall themselves every time I reboot.

I am not able to fully convey my frustration at this point....there appears to be quite a bit of info regarding prevention, stay away, this thing is bugged, but have not been able to find a solution other than ridding myself of EI and switching to mozilla

I have been up all night trying to figure out a way to rid myself of this blasted infernal bane, even a link to some directions would be most appreciated.

ps: It is also preventing me from accessing my registar, I have a sneeking suspicion something is going on in there.

LOL Happy Fun Ball, you always crack me up.

Aria, I also echo the above people in recommending McAfee or Norton antivirus, because I know I can trust those two companies. So much "fake" antivirus software is out there, it's discusting.

I like McAfee myself, because I live near their anti-virus headquarters, and have met several of the programmers and staff. Depending on which version of VirusScan you have, usually it will run in the background of your computer activities and not take up much of your system resources. (It used to be superior to Norton in that Norton would take up 30% or so of your resources just running in the background.)

However, with the newest version of VirusScan, the tables seem to have turned, with Norton being the most resource-efficient this time around.

But, Norton still forces you to "manually" remove viruses/trojans etc much of the time, a frustrating process. Most of the time McAfee software will just wipe-out your virus on it's own, tell you the virus is gone, and you are good to go.

------------

TIPS

Whenever you are surfing the web with an open browser IE, Firefox, Mozilla Netscape etc, Norton or McAfee antivirus must be running. (This goes for instant messaging and email too.) However, if you are going to play Horizons, i'd shut down the antivirus, because, the devs aren't going to feed a bug to you. Just make sure you have closed the IM programs, and all browsers (after logging into horizons) and other programs. This will make HZ run faster, because it needs all the system resources it can get.

I just want to thank everyone for the great advice. I still have not rid myself of this hijacker...however I am able to log into Horizons minimally (the popups necesitate I run in windows mode, and I'm am just limiting myself to crafting). I picked up a copy of SpyWare Killer Pro and it has helped with the banners, but the main problem is still there. I am going to go back and get myself a copy of spydoctor or McAfee...and have also decided to pick up a copy of windows (I lost mine when I moved a few months ago grrr) and reformat if these programs don't work. I do seem to have developed a new problem (related to the hijacker I am certain). My wallpaper is overlaid with this message:

Your Computer Is In Danger!
    Window's Security Center has detected spyware/adware infection!
    It is strongly recomended to use special antispyware tools to prevent data loss!

For whatever reason, when this popped up on my background, I am unable to change it and have no icons...I hover my mouse around just to be able to access the forums here heh. Any thoughts on what this might be would be great.

Thanks again for the help guys, I will keep working on this and definitely follow y'alls advice. As soon as I'm able I'll post again with, hopefully, positive news .

Aria

Hi. None of those links I provided helped remove the hijacker?
    Some explain step by step what you need to do. If you need help performing any of the steps, send a PM, and I'll help.

Reinstalling windows should be a last resort, as you have to reinstall ALL your software over again (if you are doing a clean isntall, which I would think would be your goal - to rid yourself of malware).

Also, believe it or not, if you email the hijacker company and ask them how to remove their hack, they probably WILL tell you. It's definately worth a shot.

I have yet to find a hijacker type malware that I wasn't able to uninstall/remove/destroy, etc. I'm sure there's a way. Don't give up.

Well I am back up and running, reinstalled windows. That hijacker was the worse thing I've ever experienced...something I pray my friends never get and my enemies do. If only I could write something even more awful and bug these nasty people who think its ok to mess with my computer! Ah sweet revenge...while that may be the best satisfaction, being back in action is a close second! Thanks again for all the posts, may you all never be cursed with Intelligent Explorer.

In closing I say bah humbug to all makers of nasty bugs/viruses/hijackers!

*goes off to dream of evil little hijacking developers catching their own bugs...and not being able to fix them*

Thread Information