Thread: What do you need as an old player to keep motivation?

Post What do you need as an old player to keep motivation?

what do you need to keep motivation to log in every day?

as a new player you have many things to experience, to explore and to have fun

to multiclass your biped, gain flight with your dragon and progress to ancienthood

but what do you do after this? after build up your plot, shaped your lair?

how do you fight boredom? motivate yourself to log in? to visit and chat with your friends?

and what would you need in the future to ensure that you dont loose your interests in Istaria?

edit: argl cant edit topic, please correct want to what ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Vlisson

as a new player you have many things to experience, to explore and to have fun

to multiclass your biped, gain flight with your dragon and progress to ancienthood

but what do you do after this? after build up your plot, shaped your lair?

how do you fight boredom? motivate yourself to log in? to visit and chat with your friends?

and what would you need in the future to ensure that you dont loose your interests in Istaria?

My motivation to log in was severly curtailed with the patch that buggered up our graphics settings (and its still not fixed), and even with a new video card 64mb before, 256mb now and I'm still not seeing any real improvement... and the changes to spawn rates and spawn density most definately was the near death blow. So I might log in for 20-30min a day, but its becoming harder and harder to force myself to do it.
    25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

ADV: Centenarian Nature Walker; Rating: 162
    Craft: 1900 levels; Craft Rating: 234
    DRGN: Lunus, Adult, 100 DRAG, 100 DCRA, 100 DLSH, Expert Lairshaper (Chaos-04)

No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

If the enemy presents an opportunity, take advantage of it - Sun Tzu

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

I make atls make colored armor for different holidays, play around deleting buildings deleteing the novarians and rebuilding it, go beat up shadow spiders for fun fill silos.
    OK the old sig was too long , this one is better.

Having unfinished goals or something new to discover is what keeps most players.

I made a suggestion on another thread about all players being able to find fun things while hunting or gathering. Like pieces of regal weapons, or even new items or gadgets while you gather resources. Each month the items would be rotated out of game so that none of it became real common.

This will hold many players for a long time, and give added fun to new players too. It would help give EII the breathing room to fix things and develop new content.

Then hopefully we would start having story line based events to enjoy once more.

i dont know what would thrill me everyday

im excite the lvl up feeling the most, to gain exp / a new ability is great ^^

to hunt mobs without gaining exp or craft without this boon is very boring

so my greatest motivation to do something is to gain exp or be able to gain a lvl (even if the bonus for this lvl up is very small)

i dont like crafting so it would be great to have places to discover and have fun with a group.

i will never forget when i has been lvl 40 and we hunted (group of 4-6) monsters! this has been a great experience. to rely on your partners, to fight strong mobs - one by one - not masskilling like now

i wished this group feeling would come back

Good question. I actually had the same question as well.

My dragon is 49 now, and unfortunately, I'm getting very bored of the repetition in leveling. There's just a cycle of events you must do to level and craft, and you basically just perform them over and over again, just with different monsters, different tiered resources, forumals, etc, when it really comes right down to it - like most mmo's... "the grinding".

BTW, I'm not coming down on the game or trying to be negative!! I just have much less tolerance for repetitive tasks than most other mmo gamers. There's a few games that I maxed out my character levels and such, but many more I have not, out of around 10-15 different mmo's. I just get bored, and then there's just other things about the games you either don't care for, find annoying, etc, and ultimately, playing turns into "work" instead of fun, so I stop playing.

I'd like do get my dragon or ped to 100, but I can't really find a good reason to do so.

There was a great thread on grinding someone wrote a few days back. That one really rang true to me. Unfortunately I forgot to post there.

I've met a lot of really mature, helpful players in this game and would really hate to quit, but logging on each day is getting harder and harder for me.

Quick example - I play on Blight only now, mainly now for the 2x exp, and originally to test out some possible bug fixes, per tech support's advice. I found the 2x exp GREAT, because it made the game 1/2 as tedious for me, but I miss the commerce, guild, larger player-base, etc, of the live servers. I'd go back, but I just can't go back to 1x exp (and start all over again with a new character, or perform the exact same actions again, with the character I transferred to Blight). After a few hours of that, I'd cancel my account for sure.

Before I forget, there are some great people on Blight, regulars, that have been on there since the beta and have been very helpful and great to have around.

While I'm bored, and if there is anyone still reading this..
    I'd love to see:
    1) More need for grouping, or just more people willing to group, and more benefits from grouping. I *still* love this games ability to solo most everything though.
    2) Exp from grinding crafting, or other benefits, goodies, random rare minerals you can use to make rare items, stuff like that. Currently, I'm amazed so many people are able to 'craft' for hours on end. It takes about 0.1% of my brainpower to grind crafting, and this translates to tedium, boredom, etc. Feels like a 2nd job at the box factory. I wish there was more reason to do it besides hitting that all-important level where you can finally craft your next weapon, armor, spell, etc.
    3) Gobs of other stuff, but I'm actually exhausted right now, sooooo..

These are my opinions.. remember, they are MINE. Everyone else has their own. I'm not trashing anyone or anything. Just my 2cents on playing/grinding, etc.

Bye

HappyFunBall you just need to come leave Blight im afraid. Youve listed why in your own post. By reading it I can guess that your fond of grouping and whatnot .. ive been on Blight some and unless I bring some guildees with me or some buds, then usually I only run across 1 or 2 peeps , if any.

As far as the topic goes ... My main goal has been to obtain lvls for my adv schools.... yes grinding gets old, but there are different ways to do it. I currently have 8 adv classes topped out and am workin on many more (not all have to go to 100 to get the best out of the class, but most are needed that way if you wish to also max out your attributes and whatnot). Ive been working on a tier VI guildhouse for the past .... 2 yearsish ... i dont remember how long ago the merge was, but it was shortly after that when i began planning and construction on my plot. That would be my main goal for a long time with many other goals also. Im big on multiclassing and have many abililties and skills i wish to learn. I also keep busy helping guildees and friends with quests and comp hunting ... basically i guess i try to keep a nice variety of things to choose from, as far as what I am goin to do when i log in that day (variety is the spice of life). When it comes down to it, you should try something that you normally wouldnt in the game. It could be somethin as simple as changing shards, guilds, races, classes, background music, ... etc .. .. if I had more to add or was goin somewhere with that then i dont remember ... lol its too early atm , but i hope some of this helped someone.

Tigris

My motivation to log in was mainly based on there being people around to hunt with. Between the bad client lag, the group XP nerf, and gimped classes most of the people I once knew have left. Fixing that would go a long way.

What keeps me where I am currently is having a lair to build... but what has always brought be back was the community. I look forward to saying hello and talking with those I love to be with. Then there are those who love to tell good stories and develop character, as I've grown accustomed to doing the same. RP!!!! =) But anyhow... These are the things that keep me returning most, and these are the things that can easily drive me away.

The things others have said here, for sure.

If the client performance wasn't so abysmal, if the spawn rates were high enough that more than one hunting group could be in the same area, and if there was a decent reason *to* hunt for someone who has maxed out levels.

Also, I am a social hunter. I can solo, and I do have fun with that sometimes, but for me I like to take the entire guild out hunting. That means everyone from level 1 to level 100. It used to be that you could do this and the little ones just didn't get a lot of experience from it, but they all had fun just the same. Now they die endlessly, and then the healers right after them. Remove the agro changes that ruined hunting with groups of diverse levels and classes, and add agro control to tanks and Dragons.

I want to have fun hunting with whomever I choose, no matter the class and level, and reasonably lag free at good quality if I have good hardware. If I want to hunt with a level 1 Healer, critters should not automatically kill them right off, and they should get some small amount of experience for the fight. There are already level caps on experience, where they cannot earn more than that anyway. Leave that as is, that works great.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    - Albert Einstein

Building a little, hunting alot. And mostly because of the great friends that I have

Jayne

Dravatar

Edited thread as op requested.

I enjoy logging in to see what others are doing. I log in to enjoy the company of and chat with friends.

What I would like to see continue and more of in Istaria is acceptance.

I still hear of people leaving because of their treatment from others. I see no reason for this, especially in a game known for its community.

Anima

Default Mmm... Motivation

<waves!>

What do you need as an old player to keep motivation?

A driving goal is what I personally need. Currently I'm working on filling out my crystal collection. I eat elite blighted blights for breakfast, lunch and dinner... they're also quite good as a late night snack. I'm really not sure what I'm going to do after I find all the crystals I want... I just might take a break until some new content gets put in.

A dryad tree house would keep me busy, so would different loot, obtaining a familiar, reaching into the post 100th levels.. mmm... settlements expansion.

<waves!>

P.S. I'm looking for a "Radiant Psionic Crystal of Magic" Have coin, will travel.

Hmm... What keeps me going.

1. Friends to talk to (was getting thin for a while).
    2. Newbies to help (these were kinda sparse in the not to distant past).
    3. Unfinished crafting/adventuring levels. (Fortunately these are plentiful as of yet, only about 1400 or so craft levels done).

HratLi SnowPelt : From Bounty to Chaos : Eyes of Istaria
    MultiCrafter, Spirit Disciple, Walking Bleed Attack.
    HratLi's Bucket of Fury : A Saris in cargo gear appears and beats on your foe.
    Damage :
    50-150 Attack Type: Bucket Duration: Until Dispelled Frequency: 0:02

My answer is simple.

I need the continued ability to advance my character development,
    along with an interesting, dynamic world with a developing storyline.
    Got Cowbell?

simple but the same like mine

stagnant chars are boring

I do alot of things. Comming up on lvl 63 with my draggy, and sometimes its slow going. If I don't or am not given a job like updating someones spells or helping someone out, I still have crafting to do, and lairshaping. If I get bored of those, easy to do with lairshaping, and don't want to go kill stuff, I explore the world. If I don't feel like doing that then I get off and go work on a pet project or two.

Otherwise, sometimes, I just take a break for a day or two, and maybe let my signifigant other have his time on the computer.

I suppose if push came to shove, I could work on my alt, but nah. My draggy isn't polished to that fine sheen yet.

You see an Ice Wall Corner, I see a Tardis.
    "

"Pen Pineapple Apple Pen"

Thread Information