Thread: Where and how to post criticism

Default Where and how to post criticism

I am somewhat at a loss about the new forum moderation rules.

Do they mean that any post that critisizes the game, its performance or the game owners (even if it contains no insults and unfair assumptions) might now be deleted?

Please clarify how negative issues relating to horizons (and EVERY game has them, no game is perfect) can be discussed on these boards now.

We had good rules before and the moderators did not do a bad job in enforcing them.

I think for a new potential gamer who wants to get insight into this game, both sides of the medal need to be represented -- otherwise, every approval and statement of enjoyment will smack of public relations and not be as credible as before. Please allow all sides, including the discontented, to voice their concern on these boards.

It's bad for a game if it cannot be discussed freely on the forum.
    snickel wigglsniff (retired) Twilight Crusaders on Unity
    poggle wigglsniff (gnomish crafter and mage) semi-retired on Order
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    A gnomish house should not just sit there, it should definitely DO something!

Dravatar

Based on the events of the day and the time of your post, Snickel, is there still something you want clarified?

I have answered some of your questions (I hope) here in http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=14953. Please feel free to PM any mod with questions about the current rules or to ask in an open thread.

Thank you Dravatar,

I found your posts and they clarified things somewhat for me.

Yet I do have some additional suggestions about the new forum moderation style:

1) please reintroduce the 'goodbye'-Forum. If every post is to be moderated, this could as well be done in the goodbye forum and some of the people who are leaving do this without any bad feelings about horizons and just want to explain to their friends where Real Life is taking them. I think it is a matter of friendship as well as politeness to allow them to do so.

2) please check if you have the manpower to really do such an immense job properly. For this (so far) has been a busy forum and that means that lots and lots of postings need to be processed. For this forum to be effective as a means to discussion, the posts have to be

a) processed quickly, or people will find that their answers do not synch with statements of other players. Its like a discussion where you hear a statement and then everyone writes a letter and the letters can be read the next day -- whereas befor it was almost as if the discussion took place in real time. So quickness is essential. I'd say 10 minutes for processing at the most.

b) when a post is considered not up to standard, the poster has to be contacted via pm and asked to change the wording. Otherwise people who wait for moderation will continually ask themselves whether their post might have been refused already.

If you find you do not have the manpower to ensure such standards, please consider going back to the old rules. While I see that many of the discussions in the past weeks have been aggravating, the prize of felt censorship plus an ineffective discussion board might be even higher regarding the reputation of this game.
    snickel wigglsniff (retired) Twilight Crusaders on Unity
    poggle wigglsniff (gnomish crafter and mage) semi-retired on Order
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    A gnomish house should not just sit there, it should definitely DO something!

Dravatar

Thanks for the suggestions Snickel . I'm glad the other post cleared some things up for you. There are a number of other posts from other players that also depict excellent form in how to address concerns. I encourage you to look for them.

1) It is my understanding from Peaches that the Goodbyes forum will be coming back. I don't have an ETA. I will state that the same rules applying to regular posts will apply there as well. Bashing, trashing and insulting in a farewell post will get it moderated.

2A) We did the best we could. There is some communication that goes on between mods about actions that are taken. If you expoentially increase the number of mods to handle the job, you also increase the time to get this communication done. Nine women don't produce a baby in one month.

2B) This forum software does not allow that function, to my knowledge. Once submitted, a user can't edit a post untill it appears on the open boards. Even if we PM'd you that it didn't pass, you'd still have to re-type it. I might suggest that you save a temporary copy of your post until it actually appears on the boards.

Please understand that full moderated mode is not what we would consider normal operation. The community is going through some uncommon times with the ownership changes, billing issues and what-not. Things will settle down again, ultimately.

I too agree with bringing back the Goodbye forums - this is the only place we can be sure and reach *everyone* we might want to without say, sending PMs out to the entire board.

I'd also want Rants to return as I feel it has a healthy and needed job, and was 90% of the time perfectly fine - esp. whenever it was appropriately modded.

Btw, Dravatar, as Surveyor of Sigs - isn't yours way too big? Given the space below it... *grins*
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Dravatar

hehe Nice try, Frith-Rae

My sig is structured so that others can see the *maximium* possible sizes allowed.

A sig can be an image, text or both. The max limits for a text-only siggy and the total limits of the sig are the same. An image has a smaller limit.

http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...696#post139696 in case you wanted to read more..

We are still very hopeful about getting the Goodbye forums back. There is nothing wrong with friends wishing farewells and, if done properly, stating reasons that would intice a player to return.

That still does not mention the Rants area issue. As (mostly) mature adults, having a place we can yell and scream in a structured setting is very benificial. It gives us a way to yell, then, with others comments, introspect on WHY we are yelling, and then formulate a solution to the ranting.

While, yes, in the past some DID get out of hand, thus the necessity of Moderators, as well as rules. We have both. It also would give a conscice (sorry bout my sucky spelling) place for the Devs to see what people are screaming about. Give them suggestions on what to fix, without the playerbase having to be Devs and come up with possiable implementation like in the Suggestions section.

We love our game, and would love to continue to give and recieve feedback.
    SiLang Drag 100, Dcra 100, Dlsh 100 100M Hoard Ancient Dragon of Flight of the Order Shard
    Parcasta Storm Disciple 44, ARM 88, BLK 100, CRP 25, ENC 23, FIT 88, GTH 80, JWL 40, MIN 80, MSN 82, OUT 100, SCH 100, TLR 10, WPN 88, WVR 21

Aye, I'm still pulling for the rant board.

Just because its not there, doesn't mean these people just shove their opinions where the sun don't shine *raspberry*

Just means they go elsewhere, and spread their ranting.

I'm not even saying the devs should WANT to read, or ever read, the rant forum.

But it serves a good purpose, and is healthy for a community - hence why It was continued in the first place from Tazoon to here.

You're going to have people upset about one thing or driven over the edge , by another from time to time. Its much better to have that centralized in one area, otherwise you WILL get it across the boards and you'll just have to spend your time locking/moving/deleting threads - which creates bigger problems. As then the community feelings you're trying to censor them and they can't express "anything negative"

And that perception is very bad.

SO I hope that the people that matter read my logic, and feel free to PM me if yuou want to discuss it further. There really is a great case to be made for having a rant forum.

(and I see Dravatar, so you're saying that the image can only be the size of your image, but you can put text insuie that whole area up until its that big - good lord..that's huge)
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Dravatar

Exactly Frith. The image can be smaller, but not larger.

Also, the image width is the same as the total allowed width. In essence, two maximum size images = the maximum total signature.

Dravatar

Quote Originally Posted by gopher65
    Your sig is one line too large.
    It fits the pixel dimensions. The "roughly 5 lines of text" is subjective depending on font type and size. Pixel dimensions are what I use to verify compliance.

Dravatar..would you please direct me to where I can read about how to create a sig? It looks so cool but I have no idea how to do it.
    Thank you,
    Rainy
    100 Healer
    94 Druid
    Chaos Server

Dravatar

Sure. Please send a PM to Blue Hasia here on the forums and a player on the Chaos shard. He created the one I use.

Thread Information