Thread: Questions about multi-class

Default Questions about multi-class

After reading Hratli's great monk thread, I'm working on creating a new monk. I have some questions about multiclassing though, as it's been so long since I've played I just can't remember how it worked.

If I switch from Monk to Cleric, I get access to certain spells and abilities. Once I go back to Monk, can I still use those spells and abilities? I noticed that quite a few of my monk abilities were greyed out when I was in a different class.

Is there a guide somewhere to show what abilities and spells carry over between classes? Thanks!

Talking

Well heres an idea.... go to gamersinfo.net, they have a rather extensive Horizons section. They have each class list including skills, abilities, and which abilities are masterable. To master something you have to be twice the level you gained the ability at (just FYI).

What does mastering have to do with it? Do you have to master an ability for it to carry over to another class?

Yes; not all abilities are masterable, and the ones that are, you need to attain twice the level in the class from when you got the ability to master it...

For example, Nature's Fury is from level 7 druid and is masterable.
    To master it, you would need to get druid to level 14; at this point, when you change to another class, you keep the ability from level 7 druid.
    Because all masterable abilities work in this fashion, people may often say what level you get the ability at, and leave it to you to work out what level to master...
    or may list both, such as listing Nature's Fury as level 7/14 druid - gained at 7, mastered at 14.
    If you look at a class in the Schools listing on horizons.gamersinfo.net, it denotes masterable abilities by an * next to the ability name.

If two classes share an ability, masterable or not, and you attained high enough level in the first class to gain access to the ability, then you will have it in your second class, even if you are not high enough to normally have access to the ability.

An example of this would be a level 100 flame disciple taking up ice disciple, as I am doing now; since I had crit strike V, multistrike III, melee flurry III, Iron Body, and chain attacks I - X as flame disciple, and ice disciple can also get those abilities, I have them available even as a level 20 ice disciple.

Mastering or transferring abilities *only* applies to abilities; you keep any stats (health, strength, power etc) and skills (flame, two hand crush, evasion etc) that you earned as base stats from a class. You may be limited in what weapons, armor, and spells you can use by current class and level restrictions on those items, but would retain the skills themselves.

Example time! A level 100 guardian (base 1000 two hand crush, 730? ish nature) switching to level 1 monk.. you would retain the two hand crush and nature skill, but as a level 1 monk can only use a level 1 staff and Lightning Bolt I, due to monk class and level restrictions.
    This may seem rather limiting, but with the 1000 base two hand crush, you can still hit level 50+ mobs with a stick as a level 1 monk.

This all may sound confusing, but when you multiclass you'll get the hang of it.

- Grem

Quote Originally Posted by Kerech
    What does mastering have to do with it? Do you have to master an ability for it to carry over to another class?
    EXACTLY. But remember not all abilities can be mastered, so you need to look for that nifty * marker.

Now as for spells, some spells are castable by all classes (bolts tend to be this way for example, as well as basic Revitalize line), you will need to look at the spell descriptions to make sure that it's castable by the class you are going to to check for 'compatibility'. Generally the compatibility between classes and their spells is divided by the Arcane vs Mystic classes (see my thread). Spells transfer immediately if you meet the casting criteria in your new class (class, level, and skill).

-HratLi

HratLi SnowPelt : From Bounty to Chaos : Eyes of Istaria
    MultiCrafter, Spirit Disciple, Walking Bleed Attack.
    HratLi's Bucket of Fury : A Saris in cargo gear appears and beats on your foe.
    Damage :
    50-150 Attack Type: Bucket Duration: Until Dispelled Frequency: 0:02

Thanks for the help everyone

Default Re: Questions about multi-class

Is it better to muliclass early or wait till you reach a high level?

I made a new character that started out as a warrior. I have the formula for a compound bow and tech 1 & 2 for bow so i am thinking of training up the archer professions to.

At what level should you wait until you do muliclass?

As a warrior (starting) is it better to specialize in one weapon like onehand slash or is it ok to also take a twohand weapon?

and finally the spells and skills not shared by your classes ... are they available to be used?

For example my warrior trains some mage levels will he be able to use his sword, armor or other fighter skills?

i multiclassed early, scout & druid to become ranger, but also cleric so that i could heal & rez early on. some like to have the mage's ice/fire/energy attack spells to make hunts easier. i guess when you should multiclass depends on how much you want the other abilities to add into what your main class can do.

for your bow example, if bow is not intended to be the primary weapon as your main, you are unlikely to use that skill at all so why bother with it until you've leveled up warrior all the way? on the other hand, if there are abilities the class has that you want to use routinely as warrior, then you would multiclass early.

some abilities carry over but not all. for spells, check the classes the spell can be used by. if your main class is not listed in the 'usable by' group, then it will not be castable when you are in your main class, but will when you switch back to the one where you scribed it.

mages are limited to cloth armor and only a few weapons like staff. however, the crush skill that you earn as fighter does carry over so that you can do more damage with the staff than if you were just starting out as pure mage.

i hope this is helpful. :-)

Yes it is, thank you.

Thread Information