Thread: Hi, Im new and need component pricing advice

Default Hi, Im new and need component pricing advice

HI! I am new and wondering if anyone could tell me why TG increased veilo comps to obscene amounts to encourage people to go hunt the comps, but then nerfed many of the spawns to a straggler here or a straggler there... Someone told me you used to be able to buy many T5's at Sir Aidan for 10 silver each as opposed to the 50s a piece price gouging tag being common these days. It just seems they gave the player experience an ugly facelift =P

That, Tarran, has been the subject of much (sometimes heated) debate.

Some argued that the presence of Nadia was originally intended as merely temporary--a bandaid covering the gaping wound arising from the fact that a number of necessary tech components (such as Myloc Hairs, Hellhound frostmanes and the like) did not exist since those beasties either had never been implemented or had been removed from the game. This camp contended that since techs had been changed to remove these missing components as requirements and replaced by other, existing comps, Nadia's presence was no longer needed. Finally, it was argued that her presence severely depressed the player market for comps since she capped the highest price players would be willing to pay for a particular comp.

The other camp contended that Nadia should remain unchanged because at least some of the most often used components--such as vexator fringes and zombie ogre toes--were very difficult to come by, either due to low spawn density or low drop rates. They also argued that deleting or otherwise changing Nadia would unfairly penalize craft-centric players who have little to no desire to hunt for comps.

Ultimately, the old dev team struck something of a lopsided compromise. They didn't remove Nadia, but they septupled her prices to the point that her usefulness isn't much anymore.
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

I don't think price gouging is a good addition to the game, or good for player relations... and I dont think very highly of those in the camp who had big stockpiles of comps and all their things made already who just wanted to gouge aspriring adventures. Unfortunately it is the environment they have created but I still fail to see why they would change the veilo with one hand and practically eliminate some needed component spawns with the other as if they were directly catering to price gouging.
    I read another thread by Ophelia encouraging people to just wait to see what comes next... as if they had some new content going in to make everything kosher... Sure thats a great reason to put leveling and making new armor and spells on hold... What should I do in the meantime? Perhaps a picnic in Lesser Aradoth to be held until further notice. Preferably in a location accessible via unbroken roads. Actually it should be in a safer location in case some level ones want to come. I went "away from keyboard" last night in the heart of mithril golem spawn last night for an hour to make some dinner and take care of a few things. That seemed like a pretty safe spot. Perhaps the person in charge of player events could set up some picnic tables out there?

Well I definetly know your not new Tarran, LOL.

As far as comps go, no not many people put any of the good T5 comps on sir aiden, which are in demand. Many adventurers I think felt it wasn't worth there time to hunt those comps and sell them for 10s, even though I know I did exclusively for a year.

I have been hunting them again the last few weeks and have no problem getting what I need. I have even helped several people get all the comps they need, and they have all expressed to me that they have never been as successful till I showed them how to do it. Glad my hard work for a year paid off

Jayne

I have been hunting T 5 comps for almost 2 years. I have supplied my guildees with literally thousands of them < for free>, and still do.

On a time / value basis T5 comps were woefully underpriced. To sell them for the pittance I could get before the Nadia price change, frankly just wasn't worth my time. The changed pricing has created something sorely needed for a long time in Istarie, a free market.

I re iterate what Jayne has said, if you put in the time and effort to learn the spawns, the safe spots , the social patterns, the damage resistances and vulnerabilities etc. etc. you can get your own T5 comps. You can also trade them for other goods and services.

As one of the main suppliers of T V's on Chaos, I am personlly insulted at the allegation that I am price gouging. I am further affronted by the accusation that I hoarded comps in advance of the price increase in order to prey on a defensless marketplace. Actually I had cut down my hunting time to a trickle in order to work on my lair in the months prior to the price increase.

Finally , if you think my pricing is predatory, I will be glad to re buy any comps I have sold you at the price I sold them to you. I have lots of people I sell to that are thankful to be able to get the comps at a fraction of Nadia pricing, and are grateful that there are at least a few of us hunting them to supply the communities needs.

Sharduk

Sharduk

Actually Sharduk the funny thing is since the change I have not sold one comp. I have helped friends and given, I have traded/swapped comps for others and I have traded comps for work on my plots. People approached me and asked if I would trade comps for work, sure I will . Yes this is what I feelis how things should work on the current situation.

The problem is there are some that I think don't want to associate with others, thus they dont care about economy. They are content with just being with themselves and not having a community. I am not saying thats the right or wrong way of going about things. but with such a disparity its hard to find a happy medium.

I have always adjusted to what the situtation is. I may agree to the change or not agree, but I find to adjust myself accordingly.

Jayne

Quote Originally Posted by Tarran of Chaos
    HI! I am new and wondering if anyone could tell me why TG increased veilo comps to obscene amounts to encourage people to go hunt the comps, but then nerfed many of the spawns to a straggler here or a straggler there... Someone told me you used to be able to buy many T5's at Sir Aidan for 10 silver each as opposed to the 50s a piece price gouging tag being common these days. It just seems they gave the player experience an ugly facelift =P
    You've been a member for a year and have 257 posts, plus you're high enough level to not only need T5 comps, but to feel safe going afk in the middle of the mith spawn and you consider yourself a new player?

No-one forces you to pay the asking price for anything, if you don't want to pay it then don't buy. Try looking at it from the other side, why should someone spend several hours and possibly get a couple of dp's hunting you 10 Satyr Island comps for 10 silver each when they can make the same amount of coin far more safely doing something else?
    Consider too, ambrosia is no longer able to made in game and the confectioner revamp hasn't gone live so any dp's gained are difficult and/or expensive to get rid of. I wonder what you'd charge for ambrosia to get rid of dp's gained getting your comps?
    I'm a biped. Even when I look like a dragon, I'm a biped.

I can understand raising the prices on Nadia some, but the prices now are WAY out of step with the economy, I think the prices should be lowered, perhaps not to the old prices, but lowered some none the less.

Anima

Default Unfinished business

<Waves!>

Keep in mind that the Velio changes were part of a "master plan". One that relyed on steady population growth, increased numbers of adventurers doing "bread-winning" for thier guilds and lets not forget the looming implimentation of item decay.

Had those continued and made it into the game... the velio would have eventually vanished. We'll just have to wait and see what EII does to address the game as a whole. After billing issues are fixed and the development team is up to speed of course, probably have another month or so before the ball gets rolling.

Anyone here remember the good'ol days without the Velio? I do, my guild members would team together and finish off sets of weapons, tools, jewelry , spells and armor. It was a satsifying sensation of conquoring a situation needing teamwork. Components were precious and hoarded, It was a big deal to ask someone to spare components and generally, compensation was in order. In-guild Bartering.

As crazy as it sounds, I really miss the urgency and difficulty of NEEDING to hunt for those components. I might just go out and tackle some wind golems in anticipation of possible changes. Hmmm..

<waves!>

Agreed Anima, it IS very satisfing. Unfortunetly not all feel the same way.

Jayne

Ok, I feel that if the idea was to put the payment more in line with the work involved in getting comps then I think the jacking up of the prices was needed. *I* wouldn't be selling my islands comps for less than a hundred silver a pop, and with the prices capped by Nadia, you couldn't attract hunters to hunt for that price. People only did it for 'fun'.

It turned from a last resort, to a convenience, and I have many times went there to pick up one or two random T1-4 parts if I was in a hurry. (Dropping by Aiden first of course to save some $ ).

In other thoughts, Hunting on the islands is decidedly NOT group friendly. I am at my safest by myself running and scampering around. 2+ people is a hazard, especially hunting Vexes (Chain Lightning :O ), and that a lot of my pull spots are not big enough to be safe for 2 or more (again, due to Chain Lightning). It's twice the danger of something 'noticing' you. I find it VERY satisfying to hunt on the islands, I just wish that it could be more 'social'. I suspect it would be visited more if people could go out in groups and help one another in hunting, but I might be wrong, and it'd just be me and my wife

-HratLi

HratLi SnowPelt : From Bounty to Chaos : Eyes of Istaria
    MultiCrafter, Spirit Disciple, Walking Bleed Attack.
    HratLi's Bucket of Fury : A Saris in cargo gear appears and beats on your foe.
    Damage :
    50-150 Attack Type: Bucket Duration: Until Dispelled Frequency: 0:02

Quote Originally Posted by Tarran of Chaos
    HI! I am new
    *shakes head* your 'New'? Are you not the same Tarran that has been playing off and on for at least a year if not longer?
    25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

ADV: Centenarian Nature Walker; Rating: 162
    Craft: 1900 levels; Craft Rating: 234
    DRGN: Lunus, Adult, 100 DRAG, 100 DCRA, 100 DLSH, Expert Lairshaper (Chaos-04)

No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

If the enemy presents an opportunity, take advantage of it - Sun Tzu

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

There aren't that many players that can hunt the T5 WA mobs for comps and survive. It's a long run out there, now people are dying on the landing pad (Elnath) in particular.

The new aggro makes the situation even more difficult. Players that don't have a lot of coin built up won't really be able to afford the player prices or the current vielo prices; moreoever, most players don't have the 20+ fringes for sale even if the price were "affordable" for some.

Looks like I'm not the only one that has noticed that Tarran isn't new at all.
    Ryushu Suisen, Tathar Nuar, and PhoenixStar, Guildmaster of the Construction Crew
    Check out our wares!

Quote Originally Posted by Tathar
    Looks like I'm not the only one that has noticed that Tarran isn't new at all.
    No, but he was gone for a long while and relatively recently returned.

Quote Originally Posted by BKBanzai
    Hi, I'm back again would have been more appropriate in that case - or is it new (and improved) like in all the detergent adds?

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Quote Originally Posted by BKBanzai
    If you'll excuse me, I may have seemed a bit harsh earlier, but I have had confrontations with Tarran last year during the fall festival myself, and wasn't on friendly terms with him at all last time we talked. I found his arguments to be highly trollish in nature then and every time prior, which is why I was suspicious of him when he said he was new.

Anyway, it's not really new if you've been here before a while ago, that's called returning.
    Ryushu Suisen, Tathar Nuar, and PhoenixStar, Guildmaster of the Construction Crew
    Check out our wares!

Thread Information