Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to get the thrill back to HZ?

Lightbulb how to get the thrill back to HZ?

how to get the thrill back to HZ?

when do players get bored?

-there is nothing new
    -repeating an action and always the same -achieved all achievables -no real danger -no char progression

because EII need more time and dont has the manpower to make complete changes/updates/expansions, what would be the easiest way to get you as a player (veteran player) excited about logging in? (new players have a lot of things to do and i hope they dont get bored with their first lvl 100 ^^)

What would keep you playing and what would make fun to do ingame?

Default Time

Giving them time to do what they have to do is necessary. Meanwhile, I have lots of expert shops to build that will keep me quite busy and quite content during that time.

Well, a wise friend told me once, when you lose the challenge, try something else. Such as going on a hunt in your special pants? No armor? heh

I wish I could keep that entertained with building things. I have tons of stuff to build in my lair, however I don't find it exiting, I somewhat force myself to work on it because I want the end result badly enough. I don't have that much fun doing it.

Let's see... Personally I haven't seen much new that would do something for me in YEARS... Yes there's a new thing that pops up every few months and the game has gone through some great improvements... but it's still the same "Building grind" or the same "hunting grind" so i see this point as invalid.

How do I keep myself entertained though? Let's look at a few.

World projects - Building things and being of help to others in doing so. Not building soley for my gain but if a person needs a hand building their shop or home.. or their is a damaged machine shop on the server or bridge... I offer a hand, interact with people and generally have a good time. It's social.

Hunting - It's boring to hunt alone, but I've always been thrilled to hunt with others even if there is no gain to things myself. I'll take any hoard that happen by though *Grins.* Some other people have a mission to gather X number of body parts and I'll assist in killing things for that. Again, it's the social aspect that's the thrill. Seeing how many mobs you can take, actually that's the fun thing about being a dragon! I pull, spikey scales gold shield... let's see how many things we as a group can take.

Hunting - Solo if someone is in need of parts and can't obtain it on their own. I'll see if I can handle it and go do so myself.

The New - There are new people out there playing the game, there are younglings... They need assistance and some times it's fun to drop in on them and give them a hand here or there.

These are just a few ways I keep myself entertained. A few of the reasons I keep coming back.

Ah if you're asking for suggestions to EII... I've already stated that them doing events and such will tide me over until they have the manpower to add and change things. It's a good patch for the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlisson

What would keep you playing and what would make fun to do ingame?
    Sadly, mine is not an easy fix. I want to be able to hunt with my friends again without having to be the exact same level. I love to hunt, but my friends and I are all different levels and ratings...

So, even though I have tons of classes I could level up... I just can't bring myself to do it solo.
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Release live bees on the players... MUAHAHAHHAAH... whoops inside voice.
    I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

Well a couple things I would like to see happen that keep my interest are:

World Project- I would like to see all the lighthouses built simply for an old rumor I heard that has caught the ear of someone at EII. If we could have them built by the time the dev team is assembled and ready to start patching things like boating into game.

Hunting- I know that the Epic Boss Monsters (Reklar, SoG and such) can be a pain especially when some look at what they drop/ don't drop. In my opinion thats not really the point. Aye, the loot is great to have but the experience, the challenge, and the comradory(spelling?) that I've experienced in such fights is why I like such battles.

Just a couple thoughts I wanted to share, and wouldn't mind others feed back. Better ideas? Improvement on such ideas? Something to coordinate sometime would be great!
    Hoping for the community that once was and can still be...

Oddly enough, after almost three years of building world, plot and lair structures I still get a thrill from watching the structure pop. I'll actually stand in front of (or actually in) the structure for a couple of minutes just marveling at it, and once again realizing that it was all worth the time and effort I put into building it.

And even after dozens upon dozens of times of doing so, I still get a rush when Valkor or SoG drops. Any nifty loot they drop is just an extra thrill.

And I still grin from ear to ear when I pop up in New Trismus and drop a full set of armor and weapons on a young biped, or a hundred thousand points worth of hoard on a scampering hatchling. I can just see the eyes of the player behind the character widening. And it always makes me smile.

I'm just crazy that way I guess.
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

Some of the greatest times I have had was working in a construction crew to finish a workshop out in the field somwhere. We could use more of that.

Contests like naked gnome or dryad races are always fun, and if officially supported by EII could be run weekly with prizes and even standings getting posted for folks to follow on the boards.

Adding some random items to the loot tables that are not expected could also liven things up for hunters and crafters alike. What if you were mining cobalt and out popped a shattered longsword bit? Or while hunting blights in the rift, an adimantium bar was looted? One or two odd items here or there, would add to the excitement.

Even the random Zombie ogre spawn here and there will liven things up. Shoot, have an abomination of pain wander into a different guild community every week with some really nice loot on him. I bet NOBODY would complain.
    As a new dawn rises over Istaria, may we all band together to meet the challenges!

Continuing Development of Horizons... SWEET!

Yes Tant I agree! Those are the simple things that keep me here too. With that it makes me wonder why someothers ever left the game in the first place. because when its all said and done its the simple things that count. Or not so simple like an expert shop and such, hehe.

For me it has always been the thrill of the hunt. Some people have taken that fun away from me but I always find other places to go.

Jayne

Quote Originally Posted by Aamer Khan
    Even the random Zombie ogre spawn here and there will liven things up. Shoot, have an abomination of pain wander into a different guild community every week with some really nice loot on him. I bet NOBODY would complain.
    Before the merge, abomination bosses that I foreget the name of had regular patrolls through settlements. I loved it, I miss that.

Yeah the AOP who travelled through Harro was awesome

If you can get holiday ornaments randomly thrown in as a bonus when you are harvesting, you should be able to get "other things" too.

In other games, there were your random spawn zones that usually picked a random monster for the area you were running through and placed it.

This game (except for a few places) is a 1 mob farming zoo. You want marble golems... you go here, you want maple treants you go there. Nowhere on the game can you just run down the road and POP there's vetran blight, or another WA running through the countryside.

The blight anchors were good to a point... they were like mech warrior drop ships that would cough up WA mobs.

Hunting for loot (even bad loot) is always exciting. Waiting to open that corpse to find some nifty tid-bit reward... not a resource or comp part (though some higher tier comp parts ARE desired loot)

Playing with hunting partners weighs a lot with me.
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

I'd be overly excited to see the war pick up and land being contested over by the WA and the Players. The original attraction to this game was that.

Get rid of the mindset that grind = achievement.

Back out the ill considered changes that slowly clogged the fun arteries over the years.

The dragon changes were the best thing that happened to the game since the freeing of the races. That, with the new player improvements, resulted in reversing the inexorable slide into Oblivion. . It worked! So do more of that!

Revert to the leveling xp system that was carefully worked out with groups, as a system, but with a simple cap to cover the cases that developed later. It was developed with community considerations foremost.

Make construction easier. So many buildings and shops (at least on Order) have been lost, that replacement should be a fairly high priority. It would also allow building replacement shops with higher level versions without making it a massive project. This month a garden; next month a couple of shops. If everything is a major undertaking, then whimsical, "just for the fun of it" building is not possible. Maybe shops somewhat easier, houses easier yet, and gardens very easy.

Mass slaughter can be great fun. I remember running the spiral in parties of 5-8 and pullin' 'n' killin' with abandon. WD crystals were good loot, and the drop rate seemed just right. Great fun. Fyakki parties, until they drew the PL ME! crowd were fun; though xp would need to be capped. It's fun to be powerful. Certainly not everywhere, or with all mobs, but with some, for a variety of the game experience. Of course, some areas should be left very challenging, for the Jaynes, Helcats and Kwinns of our worlds. Maybe add a few super-techs, with components that only the mightiest of hunters could farm.

If somehow the economy were to be revived, crafting for the purpose of making and selling useful items would be fun again. I loved making a full suit of armor with all the trimmings. Three or four a day pre-merge. The disastrous moves to make full suits difficult, cutting back on tech component drops again and again, as well as reducing the money supply were just disconnected blunders in the dark. The economy needs to be studied by one of the MMO economists, and fixed as an entire system.

Make multi-classing easier again. It is, and will be for the foreseeable future, the elder game.

Leave event content in. Developing an event, and then removing it means that content was expensively developed, and then lost forever. Given the limited resources, that was a unaffordably expensive way of doing things. As examples, the undead dragons, with all the effort that went into developing the shattered/broken regal bits 'n' pieces could have stayed in the game, as could the desert villanous sorcerer and the dead village. And they would have forever added to the richness of the game.

Despite the lack of higher level content, and despite the technical problems of the earlier days, the game was more fun in the beginning. As the screws slowly tightened, the player base went from wonderfully diverse to a much smaller group selected for their tolerance for grind. Bad business plan.

I realize that some of the proposals would be expensive, but many would not. A lot of grind was added which had the effect of extending the game on the cheap and so I cheerfully suppose that backing out those changes would be relatively inexpensive as well.

But above all, return to the principle that a game should be fun!
    ____Kulamata Quality Armor___
    None Genuine without this Pawprint `',''

Achiever 86%, Explorer 60%, Socializer 46%, Killer 6%.

*insert Kulamata's post here*

To save on space I decided to just "quote" Kulamata this way. My friend you have a VERY good point! How I would love to run through all the old event quests again just for kicks! For the story! Someone was complaining about little to no Lore in game.... well old events could bring alot of that back! Remember the Magadi blade? How about the Silver Whistle you got from the Cleric's Tower? Theres alot of great stuff already written that can be built on so easily! Just gotta bring it back.
    Hoping for the community that once was and can still be...

WOW!

I have to agree on all that.

I know that one of the stated reasons regals were removed, was to allow them to become rare. But really, they were not all that powerful. With a few tiny tweeks, I see no reason to not just leave them in. So what every player that can wield it has a priceless sword of embers? In what way does that really hurt anyone?

A working economy is always better than artificially inflated value on a so called rare item that only the hardcore player can afford.
    As a new dawn rises over Istaria, may we all band together to meet the challenges!

Continuing Development of Horizons... SWEET!

what about the blade of rending the gnerf bat quest, gathering maggot hides for the guy in dalimond that was a great way for a new character to get some things that are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by sierana
    what about the blade of rending the gnerf bat quest, gathering maggot hides for the guy in dalimond that was a great way for a new character to get some things that are needed.
    That was nerfed due to the fact people were raising either an alt. or multiclass by mass farming and turning that stuff in for XP and not the "Imperial bounty markers" (which drop like candy now)
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Events fine but I would like new/different items personally. Special items is what make HZ special. If you were here during that time then you were part of it. Just as if we are here now we should get something new and eventually todays item would be gone for the next. If everything can be had the whole length of the game then where is the fun of working for the prize?

Jayne

Thread Information