Thread: Begining Crafter

Default Begining Crafter

I'm getting extremly fustrated, and confused with this whole crafting thing. I'm a level 12 Adv/ 10 Crafter. I've been trying to grind out to raise my crafter level, but it is really getting boring and unrewarding. I raise a level and don't really see much benefit. I have to figure out what formulas and Tech's I can use, so I have to search the Consigner (which is a challenge all its own). The dragon trainer would sell them, but I don't have the silly tokens to buy them, and the trainer won't give me any more quests to get more tokens (great system there let me tell ya).

Then there is my skill numbers. Some of my skills are at around 85, some are 93. I assumed skills would go up when you leveled up, do they go up with use? This didn't make sense since the skill at 85 is the one I use the most (smelting).

If anyone has any advice to make this a bit less fustrating it would be greatly appreciated.

You might try looking in Chiconis for another craft trainer, I understand.
    As far as I know, skills go up when you level, but may also be affected by techs placed on the scales you wear.

Look at:
    http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=12144
    and more specific the Oakleif post and links.
    Skills go up with level not with use so smelt all you can and still your other skills go up too with leveling (great system!) Do all the quests there are and read/listen to the things the trainers say to you. Good luck.

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Lets see if I can help here First off, skill points are gained when you level. Different skills gain different points, there is a complete listing on gamersinfo.net, just go to 'schools', then 'dragon' under craft. This should give you a pretty good idea about what your strengths and weaknesses in crafting are.

You can do quests from the trainer in Chiconis for more tokens, you may also want to browse consignments or ask in marketplace as people often sell them. A beginner token is worth 1 per, and a journeyman is worth 5 beginners

As far as crafting itself goes, dragons are pretty neat in that no matter what you're using to level (making a scale or a spell) every time you level you gain points in all the skills you need. Bipeds have to take several schools (ie blacksmith, outfitter, scholar, etc).

Have you learned how to deconstruct yet? If not, send me a pm and I can go into a bit more detail there Also, keep in mind in regards to formulas that you should select one that is just a little hard to make, that way you don't waste resources that took so long to gather. Potions come in really handy also. I would recomend deconning slate scales outside of Mahagra in snowball if you are T2 now, there is a nice shop, public silos, and a great field right there

I hope I helped a bit, good luck! Crafting is a very rewarding time spent in game once you get it a little figured out....not to mention you also need it to earn your wings.
    'The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, ..., the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars' - Kerouac

Also, if you go to Chiconis and Dralk, every 10 craft levels (e.g. 10, 20, 30 etc) there are quests from the different trainers that give you +10 to your crafting skills. So these are well worth doing.

It's confusing and frustrating to start with, but once you have it all figured out it's worth it, trust me! Oh and for now I'd forget about techs, get used to the basic crafting first, figure out whats the best way to raise it, and then once you feel you can get on with techs, its up to you. They are very useful, but it can take a long time to find the components for them

Thanks everyone for all the help. I know nothing about Deconstucting, but I'm about to log on now, so I'll see what that's all about.

I'm not sure if I'm T2, but if you're talking the formulas like Primal Bolt I, Primal Bolt II, I can only make Primal Bolt I.

A lot of it is the fustration of being new too. I go to the Consigners and either I can't find what I"m looking for, or even if I check "Requirements Met" I still get things I can't use. I don't know who uses what spells and which ones are more desierable than others. I don't know what level I need to be to upgrade my backpack scale so I can carry more, things like that. It's hard trying to figure out what formula to use to maximize the XP per resource ratio, especially when you have no idea what formulas may be available to you.

Maybe that helps you:

http://www.gamersinfo.net/forum/showthread.php?t=371

Very, very useful.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Default Hey Jodokai

As one HZ newbie to another, I too have had some trouble with crafting. Figuring out who, what , when, and all. I recommend downloading this: http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=6447
    It's a great tool.

Thread Information