Thread: The Istarian Spell Casters' Guide

Default The Istarian Spell Casters' Guide

Istaria offers the budding spell caster a tremendous variety of spells to choose from including Arcane (Flame, Ice, Energy, Mind, and Summoning), Mystic, for lack of a better term, (Nature, Spirit, and Blight), Life and Augmentation, and Primal (Dragon). Each has its strengths and weakness, each has its uses.

I really hope some of you out there will add to what I put here. Whatever your chosen form of spell casting is I know you have some information of worth, so pass it.

I want to cover Arcane as it is the area I am most familiar with. Before I get carried away I want to offer a list of commonly used abbreviations and acronyms associated with Arcane Spell casting.

Perf...Perfect Spell
    Multi...Multicast
    DM...Daunting Mist
    DoT...Damage over Time
    BC...Binding Crystals
    FS...Fiery Strike
    AoE...Area of Effect
    Mezz...Mesmerize
    Root...the act of immobilizing the target with a spell or spells
    Slow...slows a targets movement speed

And some definitions

Pull...the act of getting the target's attention
    Delay...the time elapsed from the start of casting to the spell actually being cast
    Repeater...a spell that casts automatically until stopped by the caster or until the target is dead
    Recycle...the time elapsed from casting a spell until it can be cast again
    Add...sometimes one or more mobs will join the targeted mob during the pull. These are known as Adds

The Arcane line of spells can best be described as an arsenal. It includes low delay pulling spells, a DoT, roots, repeaters, slows, a mezz, AoE spells, medium delay spells and high delay heavy hitters. There is also a wide variety of techniques that can be used to enhance the spell's damage, enhance range, cause additional damage, slow, root, stun, lower resistance and increase accuracy.

Pulling spells are the spells that have the lowest delay, these spell go off pretty quick and when teched with range can touch out to 60 meters. They include Sear, Freeze, Ice Shackles and Immolate. Ice Shackles is also a root, it does damage but, is broken when any more damage is taken by the target. Immolate is a DoT and it can reach out to up to 60 meters. As the caster progresses through the levels and tiers it is a good idea to keep the best 2 tiers of Sear and Freeze hot-keyed. With practice you can then pull the target with Immolate, hit it with 2 tiers of Sear, 2 tiers of Freeze and stop it temporarily with Ice Shackles. Note that the DoT effect of Immolate will break Ice Shackles. Ice Shackles best use is to root any Adds that might tag along with your intended target.

Once the target has been pulled and is separated from the rest of the spawn it’s time to kill it. This is where your medium delay spells and bolts come in. Medium delay spells include all bombs, Stinging Cold, Energy Strike and Flame Wave. If you opt for the bombs, make sure the target is not in close proximity to any other mobs as the area of effect from the bomb will hit them and then you have more targets than possibly you can handle. To finish the mob use your high delay heavy hitters or bolts. The high delay heavy hitters are Fiery Strike, Burning Hands and Improved Flame Wave.

Bolts are your repeaters and are probably THE most important spells in the arcane users’ arsenal. The delay ranges from very low to medium, the range of possible techniques is impressive, and the versatility of the spell is second to none. Energy bolts have the lowest delay and do the least damage; ice bolts have the highest delay and do the most damage.

Roots, mezz and slows are second only to bolts in importance to the caster. They can be used to keep adds at bay (crowd control), keep the target out of melee range while killing it and to facilitate escape if needed. Binding Crystals and Ice Shackles are roots, Numbing Haze is your mezz and Debase and Daunting Mist are the slows. These spells more than any others can keep the caster alive.

Teching spells is very much a personal preference type thing however, I have learned a few things in 2+ years of spell chunking and would like to take this opportunity to pass some of it along:

Range techs: Reach out and touch someone. The desired target is on the backside of a spawn, maybe 25-30 meters from the edge. No range tech means you get to approach the near edge of the spawn and risk drawing aggro from nearby mobs. Range teching means you can reach into the spawn to pull a desired target with little to no risk of proximity aggro. I personally don’t like range techs on bolts, it raises the delay too much for my liking.

Damage techs: Can extra damage ever be a bad thing? Only if it is of the DoT variety as it breaks mezzes and Ice Shackles. Burning Damage is the only DoT tech of which I am aware.

Stun tech: This is a powerful tech however, its use is limited. It only goes on Energy spells, lasts 3 seconds and has a % chance to hit dependant on tier. Stun on a bomb? It might stun everything in area of effect, it might not. Either way, the stun effect fades long before the bomb recycles. Same holds true for Energy Strike. Stun on a bolt is the ideal use for this tech. A T5 Improved Energy Bolt with the Stun III tech applied is a great weapon. The delay is very low, the damage does NOT set the world on fire but, that stun hit’s with a very pleasing frequency. Stunned mobs don’t attack, don’t heal, don’t debuff; they just stand there helplessly awaiting the next bolt.

Ice Snare: This tech slows the target. Put it on Freeze and the mob will be crawling to you while you pepper it with spells. Put it on Ice Bolt and use it to keep the mob slowed while you pepper it with more bolts and/or spells. (Note: Slowed mobs can still move and cast/shoot. Back away from the target occasionally to keep separation).

Shocked: Nasty on an Energy Bomb, real nasty J Shocked slows attack speed.

Combust: I have this bad boy on all my Flame Spells that will accept it.

Critical Damage: This tech does extra damage and IMO, is much better than pierce, romp etc. I like it on Energy Strike, Binding Crystals, Stinging Cold and Ice Bombs.

Accuracy: Increases chance your spell will hit. A high focus score will do the same thing and not take up a precious tech slot. I am fortunate to have a high Focus score and only use Accuracy on Bolts. I use my bolts a lot, energy bolt on undead and abominations, flame bolt on vexators, ice bolt on kwellans. I WANT those bolts to hit and hit often.

Resistance reducing techs: I found these to be very handy at low and mid levels. Rather less so at higher levels. I think this because at low to mid level one’s skill and power isn’t very high yet and resistances can adversely affect damage output to a greater degree. At higher levels the skill is often augmented with Training Points as is Power and the caster has the ability to simply blast through most resistances encountered.

Tactics:

All the great teched spells in the world aren’t going to do you a bit of good if you don’t know when, where and how to use them. There are some very definite dos and don’ts in spell casting.

Daunting Mist: AoE slow spell. This spell is VERY handy when mass killing farmable mobs like golems and bugs. Run through the spawn to draw agro. When you have nice herd chasing you start running in ever shrinking circles until the herd is in a tight pack, hit Perfect Spell, stop and cast Daunting Mist. Move away from the pack and start launching bombs starting with a multicast of your highest tiered most powerful bomb. Then just cycle through the rest of your bombs. Use Sear, Freeze, and Stinging Cold to pick off any survivors of the bomb barrage.

Debase: Single target slow Used in conjunction with Daunting Mist the combined effect is a root that lasts for duration of the spell. Very useful against named mobs.

Bombs: AoE damage spells. Don’t pull with bombs unless you want a crowd.

Binding Crystals: Root spell. Medium delay, medium recycle, good duration, breaks on accumulated damage. T5 1300 damage breaks it, T4 1100 and so on. Raises target Flame Resistance. Use this for crowd control or to nail a target to the ground to kill at a distance. I keep my highest 2 tiers of this spell hot-keyed.

Burning Sky: T2 AoE. I still use this spell. High Delay, medium cycle. With good Flame and Power scores this spell will still do 200+ damage to T5 mobs. With 2 tiers of bombs hot-keyed this spell offers the caster a 7th AoE damage spell.

Improved Bolts: I have used the ordinary bolts. They just don’t get the job done and IMO, they are only barely better than nothing. Improved Bolts are where it’s at. Improved Energy Bolt with Stun, damage and/or critical damage is a lethal weapon. Low recycle, low to moderate damage but, that Stun is what it’s all about. It is possible to keep a mob stunned for duration of the fight by peppering it with a Stun teched Improved Energy Bolt.

Spell-like Abilities: There are a host of these available if one takes enough schools.

A wide variety of Enhanced and Coordinated Bolts exist. Coordinated Bolts can be very damaging if cast one after the other. Coordinated effect increases damage of following Coordinated Bolts.

Perfect Spell: With this lit off, any spell cast will hit the target for duration of the ability’s effect. The effect last 30 seconds.

Fusion Burn and Burn Out: Damage enhancers

Multicast: Multiple castings of any one given spell. Best used with your most powerful spell, usually Fiery Strike.

Stunner and Dynamic Pulse: Stuns, the latter does a little damage.

Beam of Pure Energy: 40 meters range, low damage. It gets the target’s attention.

Spellbind: 1 minute duration mezz, broken on any damage taken by target.

Engulf: DoT ability. Does NOT stack with Immolate.

I hope this will be of use and that if I left out anything, and I probably did, I hope
    some of you other Arcane Spell Chunkers will fill in the blanks. I would also ask the Spirit, Blight, Nature, Primal, Life and Augmentation users out there to post their thoughts here. A Comprehensive Spell Caster’s Guide would be very handy for everyone.
    Kwinn
    Mortal Danger is an effective antidote for fixed ideas... Erwin Rommel

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Dog: The other white meat

Order Server

Heavily multiclassed Human Hunter, 'overpowered' to the nth degree of beejeezusness and damned proud of it. Nerf me, go ahead make my day

Well done Kwinn. As always, thanks for your time and effort.
    Drasdil Redin
    100 Paladin
    Order Shard

With each tome you improve the presentation. I'm very impressed!
    ____Kulamata Quality Armor___
    None Genuine without this Pawprint `',''

Achiever 86%, Explorer 60%, Socializer 46%, Killer 6%.

Thank you very educational and I very much appreciate the explaining of abbreviations and definitions!

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

I'm new to arcane casting as I just started a mage recently, but I could have sworn that I've used Ice shackles several times to hold a mob in place while me and friends pound on them from a distance without breaking the shackle. It's the Mage's Madening Trick that breaks first hit when you do damage to them.

Default Shaman's Point of View

Hi there. I'm no multiclassed god, yet. My main Class is the Shaman. So I know Nature and Blight magic. At the time of writing this, this is all magic I can cast, but maybe it's interesting for low level people, wanting to start a Shaman or Druid.

Nature Magic overview:
    Bolt: the Nature Bolt is said to do low damage, but it's casting delay is very short, much shorter of than the spirit bolt's. A good teched Nature Bolt or Improved Nature Bolt will be your main damage dealer as Nature Boy. Add damage Techs to it....

Stone Fist: The only "Damage Spell". It does good damage, but it has a high recycle, low range, high casting delay. Most times I won't use it, cause my teched bolt needs 2-3 hits to do the same damage, and in the time used to cast "the fist", I cast the bolt at least two times. But the graphical effect is cooool

Thunder/Lighning Storm: per Tier you get these two Area of Effect spells. High level players really love them. But till you are a "multiclassed god", you won't have soo much use of them. But keep them hotkeyed, if you find a tank that can take all the damage from the mobs for you, than that are your spells to cast. Thunder even stuns the target for 3s.

Shoking Blast: A 10sec stun with 30sec recycle. That spell is my main live saver. If you keep enough of them hot keyed (you get one per Tier) you can perma stun a mob and fight nearly anything you can hit. I suggest you do that... your defense powers are... limited.

Thunder Cloud: Another stun, the time a mob is stunned here varies with the tier of the spell (better keep that in mind), but it does higher damage than the blast. Keep them hot keyed, too. The more you can access, the better, there is always a chance you miss with a stun, having another one ready really can save your life

Root: Root does what it's name says. It roots the target, preventing any movement. The time it does so varies with the Tier of the spell. The recycle is low! Any damage to the mob will let it run free. The mob still can attack, so useless against caster or bowmen. You can use that spell to keep unwanted Adds away (just remember to re-root them from time to time), or to max your XP, keeping one mob rooted all the time, killing another. This will give you multiple enemy bonus. Just be sure your root hit.. hehe

Ensnaring Roots: this spell slows down the target and does damage. I think of it as most usefull when pulling, put a range tech on it. :-)

Patch of Bramble: an area version of Root, does just exactly the same thing as root, just to all mobs in an area, very handy if a pull got horribly wrong and your party is fleeing. Cast it on the mobs and run away, you will loose them quite fast. Recycle time is much longer than root's one, so I would not suggest using it to keep many mobs rooted... (if you miss you will have some serious problems )

Nature Resistance/Ward/Earthen Crust: That are buffs. Use your buffs
    Also use your (low) Augmentation skills to buff yourself..

Revitalize: You get two heals per Tier from your nature skill! That is great. Use them whenever you need..

Regrowth: A heal over time, be sure to have it on all the time, or as druid use your growth abilities..

Dark Cyclone: Another AoE you geht with lvl 75. Just hot key them near your other AoEs

Blight Overview:
    As I am a Shaman, I have Blight "powers". Blightmagic is a little forgotten by the ones finding new spells and powers, it seems. The use of blight is very limited these days, sadly... It's main purpose is debuffing your enemy:

Brittle/Mark/Soften: Lowers the targets resistance against physical attacks. If you are hunting in a group, find out who does what kind of damage and try to use that debuff. When hunting alone it's useless for you, cause you are a spellcaster, eh?

Clumsiness: Lowers Dexterity. Better use the Shaman's ability "Steal Dexterity", if you can.

Weakness: Lowers Strength. Bettes use the Shaman's ability "Steal Strength", if you can.

Rust: Lowers target's amor. I like to tech that with Bligh Range and use it as pulling spell, as alternative to Ensnaring Roots.

Whithered State: A DoT. Does not stack with Shaman's ability Ruin or Decay (not sure which one it was), which is more usefull and does more damage.

Malady: Debuff + DoT, does not stack either, same as for Withered State applies.

Lessen XXX: You don't need them... They are not as strong as your other spells, need ages to cast, won't stack with other debuffs... You can cast them, if you are no Shaman/Duid/etc (that means, changed your school). But they are so weak, I would say it makes no sense to scribe them...

Dispell: Tries to remove buffs from a mob. Once it was VERY useful, because it could dispell hardened shell. Today, you have to search mobs that have buffs you can dispell. Good things to dispell are perfect spell or multicast or damage shields. Keep an eye of what the mob uses..

General word to debuffing:
    Debuffing can be good, but takes time. So it's not so useful to fully debuff each mob. Do it with the named ones or as first spell with a range tech on it. I tend to use my abilities for debuffing, when pulling, cause they instantly activate and I don't have to wait a long casting time.

That was the more or less "general" Part of my overview. It should be usefull for Druids and Shamans, who take that school as their first one.

Shaman's Abilities:
    Now I'll give a little overview of the Shaman's abilities, of course that only is usefull for Shamans, as I hope there will be more, someday...
    Druid has other abilities, someone else can explain them

Debuff: Shaman's abilities are the most usefull debuffs in game (at least I think so).
    Steal Strengh/Dexterity: debuffs the mob AND gives your whole group a str/dex buff. I frequently use that ability.
    Shaman's Chant, Corrosive Rain,
    Curse of Enfeeblement are three area debuffs, usefull when hunting many mobs, they have a low delay, but some recycle time. I use these frequently, too. One thing to keep in mind about the curse: it only has a range of 1 (!) that means it's basically a meele attack. But the graphic is well worth it.. hehe.

DoT: You have two, Decay and Ruin. Ruin additionally lowers the resistance against nature and bligth.
    When hunting alone, I use them on every mob, it really shortens the time to kill a mob, over the time it's quite a good amount of additional damage.
    When hunting in groups most times I won't use them. It takes too long for them to be used and to recycle. But use them on the named mobs.

Detoxify: Your best friend. Removes debuffs from yourself. Later you get a version for other people and even on for the whole group at once (can save your live when fighthing a vexator).

Instant Heal: Heal ability with 5 min recycle, use this one only in emergency cases. You'll really regret using it to early..

Expulse: It's like dispell, but it has a very low delay and very low recycle. The dispell power is not as high as the spell's. If you really want to dispell something, use Expulse, Dispell, Expulse again (if it's not gone yet). That should give you a fair chance. It's also useful to find out if the mob uses any buffs, 'cause it takes not much time to test with Expulse.

I think that's about it. I hope there will be some people in future how find it useful.. I know Shaman is not a really popular class, but I really love it, now that I got used to it
    Last edited by Garfonso; September 1st, 2006 at 03:14 PM.

Wow, another great guide. Good job you too!
    Heheh, I could write a little guide on dragon spells.....but im a lunie sooo I really dont use spells often except for pulling
    So! my main spell Improved prime bolt V with range on it

Garfonso,

Thanks for the great guide. I have some Shaman abilities in my build. 96 lvls worth and I use every masterable Shaman ability I can, especially Expulse and the DoTs. Expulse works great on undead.

I especially like your trick on pulling with Rust spell. I wonder if a Battlemage can use it Or more importantly, do I have an extra hotkey for it if I can :/
    Kwinn

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Order Server

Heavily multiclassed Human Hunter, 'overpowered' to the nth degree of beejeezusness and damned proud of it. Nerf me, go ahead make my day

Kwinn, excellent idea for a thread, thanks

Garfonso, perfect timing. My biped alt is slowly getting played more often now, and she's a druid, so nature is just what I'm looking for! Now I just need a Life guide and I'll be set... *hint hint* hehe

I'm really looking forward on the wizard part I'll be doing on LZ. I've done wizard on Sunuke while playing on Unity and it was really great fun to play, I wouldn't be suprised if i would do sorceror too after having both high lvl chaos warrior and high lvl wizard cause that's just another nice school to play.

Thanks for the great guides guys

Default Life and Augmentastion from Warsong

Many thanks to Warsong for this great write up on Life and Augmention

To who might find this useful

I was asked to put together a guide for Augmentation and Life spells. I am a Healer as a main class so most of what I say will be leaning towards a Healers application or uses. I will first tell of the basic information that most know, then I will give my advice on how to best use them. I am in no way an expert in the use and im sure others will be happy to add anything I might miss. But I do hope someone finds this information useful.

Augmentation Spells
    Augmentation spells are spells that raise stats for any gifted that it is cast on. They are used based on Tiers. Some can be teched with Fortify or Purify if needed however I do not tech them I keep them as they are.

Gifts Tiers 1-5
    Gifts offer a long term blessing in and out of combat. They last 2 hours to be exact unless you remove one or die in combat or have them magically removed by monsters. It depends on the Gifted on what they prefer to have cast upon them.

Gift of Armor: Raises Armor X amount where X is dependant on Tier of Spell
    Gift of Alacrity: Modifies delay X amount where X is dependant on Tier of Spell (Range, Spells & Attacks only)
    Gift of Speed: Raises Speed X amount where X is dependant on Tier of Spell
    Gift of Power: Raises Power X amount where X is dependant on Tier of Spell
    Gift of Focus: Raises Focus X amount where X is dependant on Tier of Spell
    Gift of Toughness: Raises Armor and Health X amount where X is dependant on Tier of Spell
    Gift of Health: Raises Health X amount where X is dependant on Tier of Spell
    Gift of Strength: Raises Strength X amount where X is dependant on Tier of Spell
    Gift of Dexterity: Raises Dexterity X amount where X is dependant on Tier of Spell

Healers Perspective: As a Healer it’s my job to keep everyone alive and to resurrect them if they fall. It is also my job to make sure they get Gifts before and during combat. I like to know who is in my group and make sure that I know which gifts they prefer. After I resurrect someone I then start gifting them with the proper gifts. It’s usually the same for each type of class so it makes it a lot easier than it may seem. There is a basic three I call them that is Armor, Health and Alacrity these three are the foundation of almost every player I have seen or fought with. After that it’s really one of two other set ups to follow. Arcane would be Power and Focus and Melee would be Strength and Dexterity. There are Varying players who might prefer another set up so it’s best to know your team before hand. As a Healer it’s not my job to kill the monster it’s my job to live and keep everyone else standing and in top shape to do the damage for me. When fighting with the usual team and we all have our grove I attack and do damage with the rest of them, but I know what is going to happen and can adjust back to healer mode if something goes wrong or if we get additional monsters.

Enhances Tiers 1-5
    Enhances offer a short term blessing in and out of combat. They last only 30 minutes to be exact unless you remove one or die in Combat or have them magically removed by monsters. Again it depends on the Gifted on what they prefer to have cast upon them. The enhances are little more tricky because you can only have one of each type cast upon you at any one time. Example you could have Enhance armor, power and health. If you cast Enhance focus it will replace your power. My opinion is that you can only enhance one aspect at any one time. So you must choose between (casting) power and focus and between (melee) strength, dexterity or health. Armor is a given and is always castable.

Enhance Armor: Raises Armor X amount where X is dependant on Tier of Spell
    Enhance Power: Raises Power X amount where X is dependant on Tier of Spell
    Enhance Focus: Raises Focus X amount where X is dependant on Tier of Spell
    Enhance Strength: Raises Strength X amount where X is dependant on Tier of Spell
    Enhance Dexterity: Raises Dexterity X amount where X is dependant on Tier of Spell
    Enhance Health: Raises Health X amount where X is dependant on Tier of Spell

Healers Perspective: I usually know what my team needs and again treat them like the Gift spells. I ensure everyone has what they need before and during combat. Each person is different so you will again want to pay attention to what they ask for so that when and if they die you will be prepared to cast them again.

Raises Tiers 1-5
    Raises are like a lesser form of Enhances. However more classes can cast them and they are less of an increase they also do not last as long in or out of combat. For all purposes I would treat them like Enhances but keep in mind the down side of them not being as good. Enhances also overwrite a raise which means the enhance will take the spot of any raise you have active.

Raise Armor: Raises Armor X amount where X is dependant on Tier of Spell
    Raise Power: Raises Power X amount where X is dependant on Tier of Spell
    Raise Focus: Raises Focus X amount where X is dependant on Tier of Spell
    Raise Strength: Raises Strength X amount where X is dependant on Tier of Spell
    Raise Health: Raises Health X amount where X is dependant on Tier of Spell
    Raise Dexterity: Raises Dexterity X amount where X is dependant on Tier of Spell

Healers Perspective: I usually don’t use these spells at all. However for those of you that might I suggest using the same perspective as enhances.

Surges Tiers 1-5
    Surges are the strongest of the increases you can cast however they are also the shortest in duration lasting only 3 minutes. Only one can be cast upon anyone at any one time. Each surge will overwrite another that the gifted in question has cast upon him.

Surge of Armor Raises Armor X amount where X is dependant on the Tier of Spell
    Surge of Health Raises Health X amount where X is dependant on the Tier of Spell
    Surge of Strength Raises Strength X amount where X is dependant on the Tier of Spell
    Surge of Dexterity Raises Dexterity X amount where X is dependant on the Tier of Spell
    Surge of Power Raises Power X amount where X is dependant on the Tier of Spell
    Surge of Focus Raises Focus X amount where X is dependant on the Tier of Spell

Healers Perspective: A lot of people don’t bother with Surges since they only last 3 minutes. I love to use them and have noticed a difference when they are upon someone. My tactic for using these varies. I hold Strength for the Melee Tank in the group, I use Dexterity for any Archer types, Power for any Caster types, after that I look for 2nd string group members another Melee Tank might get Health or Armor if he isn’t supposed to be the main tank, the Caster might get Focus. I try and keep these up based on the combat length and the situation at hand. If im to busy healing to pay much attention then I don’t it’s as simple as that. However any spare second and ill cast them again. I also pay attention to their effect in combat is the main tank doing a good amount of damage but getting hit hard should I change to Armor instead of Strength? These questions I ask myself and adapt to the situation at hand.

Life Spells
    Life spells are your healing spells and Res spells. Mystic Blaze is the only attack spell. For the purposes of this guide im going to talk about heal spells then resurrection spells and then Mystic Blaze.

Healing Spells
    I love healing spells they are what make or break a healer in combat. I have the old school set of spells that you can’t make anymore Teched with Recycle, Heal Increase and Potency. You will find a lack of techs to apply to your heal spells but I suggest using this priority when teching recycle and then either Heal increase or Potency with Purify following behind. I say this because Purify used to and might still remove the Boars Hide Mask effect that is supposed to be a player boon.

Minor Health: Heals X amount where X is dependant on Tier of Spell
    Health: Heals X amount where X is dependant on Tier of Spell
    Major Health: Heals X amount where X is dependant on Tier of Spell
    Group Health: Heals X amount where X is dependant on Tier of Spell
    Revitalize: Heals X amount where X is dependant on Tier of Spell
    Improved Revitalize: Heals X amount where X is dependant on Tier of Spell

Healers Perspective: Minor Health, Health and Major health have a 10 second recycle with Revitalize and Improved Revitalize has 20 second recycle with the Recycle 3 tech added. I have looked at the max each of my heal spells will heal. I only cast the spell that is needed in any given time I try not to over or under heal if I can help it. I also use the quicker spells first leave the revitalize spells for when I have to use them. Most times the Health line of heals is enough and if its not then there will be Revitalize spells ready to cast. I also make sure I have some Heal over time spells on myself so that I don’t have to use heals on myself while in combat. This ensures the Tank and the Casters are getting the heals they need to kill the monster or monsters in question. When in Combat it is helpful to stay calm and think about what heal is needed. Overcasting will leave you without heals and no one in a group fighting the Son of Gigaroth wants to hear the healer yell "I'm out of heal spells". With proper planning and testing of your spells and abilities being a Healer is very rewarding both as a solo or group hunter and your ability to manage your life spells will determine who will ask you to help them with killing monsters.

Resurrection Spells
    Resurrection spells lets face it sometimes no matter how prepared you are people die. There are a lot of reasons for this so we have Resurrection spells. There are five different ones and as you gain in levels you will be able to cast the higher tier ones. Each will give life to the dead gifted, the tier will determine how much health they will have when they stand up.

Resurrection 1 Restores dead character to 20% of health
    Resurrection 2 Restores dead character to 40% of health
    Resurrection 3 Restores dead character to 50% of health
    Resurrection 4 Restores dead character to 70% of health
    Resurrection 5 Restores dead character to 90% of health

Healers Perspective: Resurrection spells are just as important as healing spells in some cases. If your party members are dropping all over the place it’s your management of resurrection spells that will save everyone from a wipe. Case in point if you have Res 1, 2 and 3 HOTKEY THEM ALL. Resurrection spells recycle is 30 seconds you don’t want to wait that long for one to be castable again. I have all 5 Hotkeyed and I have had them all recycling at one time more than once. Second bit of advice always res the Healers first, if you have anyone with healing spells down and they can res then they are your priority. This will also increase your chance to avoiding the wipe every group dreads and fears.

Mystic Blaze
    Mystic blaze what can I say it’s not a super attack spell but in the hands of someone with high Life it will do a good amount. Tack on a few techs and it just might save your butt. We are fighting undead after all and we know undead hate life so it stands to reason that Mystic Blaze will hurt if cast on an undead. There is not a lot to say about Mystic Blaze I use it when I fight undead and have time to cast it. I used to use it a lot when I was a Paladin and needed a spell to pull with. But now it is only used if I have time to cast something other than Heal, Gifts, Enhances or Resurrections.

Ending Notes
    This is just a collection of information that runs through my head when dealing with these spells. I hope it is useful to someone out there as some of it has saved my life and many others in my time hunting the lands of Istaria. If anyone has anything to add I would love to read it. I am always looking for ways to increase my effectiveness in combat.
    Kwinn

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Order Server

Thread Information