Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Important news about Unity and Horizons in Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Mairynn Nalnair
    @Luca, Care to comment on that ?
    I have already commented on that.

In post #15

"...1) A fully copy can be done only for the game database, the account database contains personal data of the users and can't be transfered without their consent..."

In post #34

"...As explained account information and consequently personal information can be transfered for usage of another company only with the consent of each user.

In game information are useless if not linked to a game account.

The one month time was referred roughly to the gathering of users request, I personally see the whole transfer happening before the end of this year..."

Hm. Maybe one could copy all plot structures and also the structures we rebuild all through istaria... that would help very much in certain places..

Structures on not owned plots should be possible... that's what they did in the plotreclamation, if no one wanted to own the plot, right?

Not possible to copy them, they'd need to be manually built by WMs..

who says that?

After all it should be possible to do just the same thing they do with plot reclamation... the structures are kept if a plot is given back to community, or not?
    So you could just copy all characters and delete all of them, whose players didn't want to transfer their account data, but keep their plot structurs and give the plot back to the community, just like they do during plot reclamation..
    Last edited by Garfonso; October 3rd, 2006 at 02:04 AM.

The exact same thing happened with the server merge, WMs have to rebuild each structure manually, hence why lightposts were never finished, just wasn't worth the time.

Quote Originally Posted by AA0
    The exact same thing happened with the server merge, WMs have to rebuild each structure manually, hence why lightposts were never finished, just wasn't worth the time.
    I think what the Unity community are hoping is that the new server can be set up using the existing game database, and then have the Tulga-developed accounts database tied into that. By effectively moving the game data to new hardware (must be possible, hardware fails), and plumbing in the accounts database it is my hope that all character data, plot data and community structure information will remain intact, thereby involving minimal work for EI after the restoration of the game data.

The real scary concept would be if EI set up a new shard based upon some old delta that was never kept up to date, and things like freeing the satyrs / dryads need to be done again, complicated by importing of player data, then a WM runs around the world rebuilding all the community structures and we as players are left without our old plot information etc. It could all be rather messy.

Avoiding the messy option is why I'm keen to see a transfer of the game data. There is no legal impact of GN passing that to EI because it does not contain personally identifiable information. It is the European data protection act which prevents the accounts database or individual records it contains from being transferred without permission of those whose details are stored within it.

As stated we are ready to do a full transfer of the 26GB of in-game information stored on Unity's datatabase. That is both technically and legally possible.

But if this is going to happen or not will depend solely on EI Techs' decisions on how to build the new shard, we are not even sure this kind of direct implementation is compatible with how Horizons works (just think about things happened in the past like the "fake consolidation" Earth, Ice and Wind had to go through just to apply the latest updates after the NA shards consolidation).

Quote Originally Posted by Tzael

The real scary concept would be if EI set up a new shard based upon some old delta that was never kept up to date, and things like freeing the satyrs / dryads need to be done again, complicated by importing of player data, then a WM runs around the world rebuilding all the community structures and we as players are left without our old plot information etc. It could all be rather messy.
    On the side... I would love to free the satyrs and reliving the old events alll over again

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi
    On the side... I would love to free the satyrs and reliving the old events alll over again
    You know, if a whole new shard were to be set up and have us start from the beginning all over again, I think it would be rather fun.

Here and now though we're talking about the continuation of Unity. Best to stick with what people know, I'm not sure everyone would be happy about freeing the satyrs again, least of all the satyrs themselves

erm will my slave satyr be trapped somewhere in jail while we wait for the satyrs to be free again ?
    I dont even think EI could rerun these events again, most of the info must be lost into the void now
    Ishar Xhaan => Ishar_Wind Xhaan => Imrryr Xhaan Lunus Destroyer
    and his biped slave KalTorak XhaanSlave Ice Disciple
    == Ancient Order Of Istarian Knights ==

Quote Originally Posted by AA0
    I'm sorry, but I don't think it's right to compare this transfer to the server merge...
    As the words "transfer" and "merge" suggest there is a big difference here:
    When the shards where merged, the Database had to be merged from different shards and many things changed... and so on...

Now, it's different. It's just one shard that is moving. The landscape didn't change at all, all the plots are in exactly the same location.
    There can't be any confilict with existing data, just because there exists no data, that can conflict... You can just "fill up" the new DB with all the old data... and I would EI suggest to do that

I don't know the structure of the database... but in every possible design of the game data DB I can think of, the copy of the structures under this circumstances is possible...

Just again, I come back to the plot reclamation.
    If a player is inactive, and his plot is reclaimed, but not bought by a player, so it's given back to the community. Then all the structures on the plot will remain, or am I wrong here?

You could just fake exactly that thing...
    Just replace all accounts that are not copied by some fake account, make it inactive, do a plot reclamation and there you go... the plots are not owned, but the structures exists.

Bite, THEN think.........

sorry in advance if this has allready been answered.
    ETA on money allready invested in unity for the next year.
    I saw a mention of a e-mail detailing compensation tobe sent.
    Now that the shard is free what about the 6 months or more overpayed?
    All alone in the dark

Chaos..Morrtoc
    Unity..Brainbasher(MorrBasher on Chaos)

Any news?!?

No email arrived here....
    Paolo - Kenpa - Unity shard
    Guild "I protettori dell'antico codice"
    100 Paladin - Reaver - Mage - Druid - Healer - Spiritist - Conjurer / currently building Guardian
    Many Dragon's eye-teeths on his Zealot

Shudian Gun - Unity Shard
    True lunus making its A.R.o.P.
    57M of hoard (thanks to Paolo )

Quote Originally Posted by Tzael
    I think what the Unity community are hoping is that the new server can be set up using the existing game database, and then have the Tulga-developed accounts database tied into that. By effectively moving the game data to new hardware (must be possible, hardware fails), and plumbing in the accounts database it is my hope that all character data, plot data and community structure information will remain intact, thereby involving minimal work for EI after the restoration of the game data.

Avoiding the messy option is why I'm keen to see a transfer of the game data. There is no legal impact of GN passing that to EI because it does not contain personally identifiable information. It is the European data protection act which prevents the accounts database or individual records it contains from being transferred without permission of those whose details are stored within it.
    I personally would love to do the old events again it was fun and I'm happy to do it again, also for the players that quited a time ago can pick-up the story line easily

Quote Originally Posted by Hitachio
    I personally would love to do the old events again it was fun and I'm happy to do it again, also for the players that quited a time ago can pick-up the story line easily
    as stated in many other posts this is not possible/WAY to much work. AI system spawn etc has changed etc. (al satyr and dryads back behind bars?)

It' s either:
    - complete copy of the db (what YOU say in another post)
    or
    - Old events again and then we have to start from scartch.

Make up your mind and think before you post, or leave and go play wow.
    Royall on Order / Royal_wind_unity, Royall on Chaos
    Dinsdag on EU-Evernight (LOTRO)

Quote Originally Posted by Royal
    ruingin the game account there still nothing
    You're the best Royal!
    Paolo - Kenpa - Unity shard
    Guild "I protettori dell'antico codice"
    100 Paladin - Reaver - Mage - Druid - Healer - Spiritist - Conjurer / currently building Guardian
    Many Dragon's eye-teeths on his Zealot

Shudian Gun - Unity Shard
    True lunus making its A.R.o.P.
    57M of hoard (thanks to Paolo )

So what now? Any news about the closing time? We are all on Unity playing but dont know if your shard will be up tomorrow, very sacry.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Hmmm

Clone Unity, then delete any personal information, or find a 'template world' blank but up to date and transfer the data file.

Good lesson/s to be learnt, never use email addresses as login names.

Regards

Gorek

Just yesterday I recognized that you indeed have a "Username" which you can also use to login..

Problem is: I think most people won't know their user names.. hehe.

But: on the NA Login page you even can add more usernames to an account... on the GN page that is not possible.. but you still have that username

Thread Information