Thread: Lair Plan critque please

Default Lair Plan critque please

Rough draft of my lair. It is a smaller one 3x4x10 located in North Parsinia (hence why lots of the rooms are Tier 1 or 2). First floor is set and I just finished the first 4-way corridor but the rest is still maleable if someone notices any major flaws. The plan is not complete as the last three floors are completely empty and the area next to my Hall is mostly empty, I'm still deciding how I want to use that. Thanks for any input.

http://www.vandalin.net/images/Games/Wanderer's%20Rest.xls

The only thing I notice off hand is that you have a single path through the first 2 floors of your lair. That may be what you want, but it will make it kind of hard to use. (think about all the rooms you need to go through to use the crystalshaper!) This will also make your life suck if you decide to move anything around -- you'll have to decon all the floors below!

Consider a plan that branches, where you can get between floors quickly. This lets you rearrange a floor without having to decon everything else as well.

One other thing -- silos seem like they can be accessed from the floor above (and maybe below). Try interleaving your silo levels with machine levels so you can craft without having to run back and forth between the silo and machine.

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

I hadn't heard that about multi-level access, Steelclaw, but it does make sense that you could.

While a branching set of levels is a good thing, as Steelclaw suggests, I can see it's a difficult thing in a compact lair like this. I'm a strange one in that I prefer to minimize the open holes of entrance ways going to the edge of the plot. To that end, I'd recommend not using any halls or lairs above tier 2 (that gives 2 T1 and 2 T2 halls and lairs, far more than you have room for) and still keep an edge to run around for lower levels. Even a tier 4 or 6 lair could be useful to get down several levels, but be sure that you don't mind effectively cutting those levels in half (incidentally, a good [T1silo][T][T1silo] combo is a good thing from time to time for areas like that). Another option would be to rotate the tier 3 hall and place it as the end of the levels to give you more working room than a single-wide corridor around the thing on 3 levels.

It's definitely a good idea to keep your machines to the top and storage close at hand.

Do you really need a vault where you are, with Parsinia close by? In places like Genevia Island or Scorpion Island, vaults are an absolute if no one else around you has built one, but where a racial or player town nearby already has one, it can be redundant.
    If you were to decide to remove the vault, might I suggest after that first turn from the spiral corner placing the library there, making the horizontal straight a T, and make a silo of the 3 way you have going into the library now. This would give more room for another 2 more 3 ways and 3 more silos on level 4.

The result would be:
    [L] [Spiral Reverse] [Spiral Corner]
    [Library] [T] [T1silo]
    [Library] [T open right] [T1silo]
    [T1silo] [T inverted] [T1silo]
    Last edited by C`gan; November 28th, 2006 at 12:59 PM.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Thanks for the input guys...

Steelclaw: That's good to know about silo's access from above. I agree that a one way street would make it very difficult to deconstruct later on but I spent many hours planning just those first 3 levels (0-2) that I'm pretty sure on them unless I spread out the crafting rooms on more levels, plus with the size of the lair (as C'gan points out) it does limit a little how to get around. I don't mind the running around the lair so much...it is pretty

C'gan: I will look into rearranging level 4 leaving out the vault. I liked the vault there because I hate dragging distance but considering it is a full level lower then the crafting rooms I'd still be dragging if not as much. But I definitly like havin more storage, 'specially since each silo only takes one type of item. I'm also looking into a slight re-work of level 3 but the only change there gives me one more corridor to build so far...will have to see.

I am confused on the Hall/Lair part though. How many can I have of each? Is it 1 t1 Hall, 1 t1 lair, 1 t2 hall and 1 t2 lair so 4 total or something else? Either way I will try looking at the rotating of the current hall and see if that helps me come up with better space serving.

And like I said nothing etched in stone yet...except for that first 4-way

Halls and Lairs you may have one of per tier and faction. So, you can have 1 Lunus tier 1 hall and 1 Helian tier 1 hall (total of 2) easily for each tier. This is the same for all the halls and lairs. So, if you had a lair big enough, you could do 12 halls and 12 lairs.

On level 4, which direction do you enter the H spiral corner in the upper right? Depending on that, an entire level 4 redo may be necessary to allow for a level 3 replan. Having that spiral reverse come down from level 2 where it did makes that corner really difficult to do anything on 3 unless we can move the drop from 3 to 4 over behind it or above the consigner (which causes problems with the level 4 replan I offered).

I think I have something which will ease up tension on that level 3 replan. Here's a redesigned level 2:
    [T1silo] [T2Gem] [Spiral Reverse]
    [Spiral corner from above] [T2Gem] [T open left]
    [straight] [T2Crystal] [straight]
    [L] [T2Crystal] [T1silo]

With that, a level 3 replan could use all 12 spaces and add another silo:
    [T2Cons] [Spiral corner] [Spiral reverse from above]
    [T2Cons] [4 way] [T open left]
    [T1silo] [straight] [T1silo]
    [T1silo] [T inverted] [T1silo]

Depending on personal preference you could link that silo underneath the consigner to either the consigner OR make that straight beside it another 4 way and link it there.
    Last edited by C`gan; November 28th, 2006 at 06:47 PM.

As for that spiral corner on 4 I think the silo underneath it has to be an L to connect to it instead on that replan. Sorry.

Thread Information