Thread: all systems nominal

Default all systems nominal

I got to think ....

"" Scheduled maintenance on Choas and Order complete ... all systems nominal. ""

What does "nominal" really means. On the scale beetween "top shape" to "minimal" and "on life support", where does nominal fit's.

Webster tells me "being according to plan: satisfactory" .... Hey hey! keep a way the power moger or the fan's of lag aways then.

Which still bring to mind a uestion that was never really answered, what do they do outside emptying the swap file and rebooting the server during a regular maintenance.
    Nalrach, Healer & Guardian, Member of the "Iron Circle" guild
    Ramti, Friendly draggy trying to wake-up from long nap.

Plan an office pizza party?

cleaning up the DB, that means running some misterious scripts
    I wanna be ancient. Why is there no ARoP for Saris?

You don't suppose they meant "All systems normal" do you?
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

I just love the english language .. you can give a multitude of interpretation to the words. And when it's your second language it' soooo easy to twist it one way or the other.
    Nalrach, Healer & Guardian, Member of the "Iron Circle" guild
    Ramti, Friendly draggy trying to wake-up from long nap.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.0.1) - Cite This Source nom‧i‧nal  /ˈnɒmənl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[nom-uh-nl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –adjective 1.being such in name only; so-called; putative: a nominal treaty; the nominal head of the country. 2.(of a price, consideration, etc.) named as a mere matter of form, being trifling in comparison with the actual value; minimal. 3.of, pertaining to, or constituting a name or names. 4.Grammar. a.of, pertaining to, or producing a noun or nouns: a nominal suffix. b.functioning as or like a noun. 5.assigned to a person by name: nominal shares of stock. 6.containing, bearing, or giving a name or names. 7.(of money, income, or the like) measured in an amount rather than in real value: Nominal wages have risen 50 percent, but real wages are down because of inflation. 8.Aerospace. performing or achieved within expected, acceptable limits; normal and satisfactory: The mission was nominal throughout. 9.Slang. done smoothly as expected: The space shot was nominal, proceeding without a hitch. –noun 10.Grammar. a word or group of words functioning as a noun.
    [Origin: 1425–75; late ME nominalle of a noun < L nōminālis of, belonging to a name, nominal, equiv. to nōmin- (s. of nōmen; see nomen) + -ālis -al1]

I betting they meant definition 8 or 9.
    Imayo, Preceptor of Obsidian Order on Order
    Shadowalker
    http://kalex.org

Thanks Imayo,

the definitions 8 or 9 were new to me so far. Of course now it makes sense (before I thought they had just confused 'normal' with 'nominal')

snickel wigglsniff (retired) Twilight Crusaders on Unity
    poggle wigglsniff (gnomish crafter and mage) semi-retired on Order
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    A gnomish house should not just sit there, it should definitely DO something!

Default and what is:

And what is this function: EMail Code?

and if you click the [MORE], you will see:
    - Account Status -
    Comp Account

on your right... what's that?

I'm used to the way simpeler EU logon page, and even more the cmd line launcher.
    Royall on Order / Royal_wind_unity, Royall on Chaos
    Dinsdag on EU-Evernight (LOTRO)

Thread Information