Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: honesty

Default honesty

Its a known thing that the mithril bars on WolfsPaw consigner selling for 1c are there for storage waiting to be vaulted, one of my guild members is missing around 35,000 bars. In my opinion its kinda like stealing, when you cant live with the guilt any longer please contact Hannabal from DeathPoint Collectors to arrange their return. 35,000 mith bars is a huge time investment.

There is no crime in someone buying them. I guess the lesson is, dont put things on the consignor you dont want others to buy.

Dont try to circumvent game mechanics.

Food is food, just give us something to chew on that removes DP's

Default That really really bites

It is generally known that if you see something for less than it should be, to not buy it. If I played your shard, I would help replace the loss, but I don't. *sighs* I do hope your friend gets his mitheral back and I hope the person that bought them, will return them.

Just stop cheating, or look for a safer way

Maybe there is some codex among all the people who do this kind of cheating... I don't know such things, because I won't abuse the consigner to transport my things... Especially not an open consigner... tz.

I think it's a bit bold to call someone a thief who uses the game mechanics the way they are meant... *shrugs*
    I wanna be ancient. Why is there no ARoP for Saris?

Default Who says its cheating?

Many folks use pawners to temp store stuff, some dont even let them drop to the vault, because its used so fast. Please, point me out to the written rule where it is considered as *cheating*.

Sounds like I need to make the rounds to connies then.

I don't know if there is a written rule...
    But in my opinion that is cheating.. or at least abusing the consigner...

But no matter if it is right or wrong, it can't be wrong to buy something from a consigner. That is what he is good for. If you want to use him for storage, just make him private... it's that simple

How does one know what is thought of as a fair price? I under price quite a lot of things on Consingers becuase I do not want it to come back to my already full vault and I do not know what the commonly held fair price is.

i do not know what price is generally considered fair or not. i do know that it has been discussed on the forums before, and the general consensus then seemed to be that if something was placed in bulk on a connie for 1cp each, at least the longstanding players would understand that the items were not intended for public sale. at the time, it was mentioned that new players would need to be told about this arrangement very early on or they would likely make someone very upset without realizing it. i have no idea how to make sure they know, though, so i've not generally used consigners that way. i do hope you and your friend luck get your stuff replaced readily.

I'd have to agree with Awdz. The notion of not buying large volumes of items on consigners with a 1c price is something mostly known among the longstanding or "veteran" residents.

It's not a matter of circumventing mechanics or abusing the workings of a consigner, especially when none of us know exactly what the items were placed there for. It's quite possible they were being put there for someone else to pick up later on, or any other number of reasons. So that is not for us to speak out on. However, it is our responsibility to spread the word so that more people are aware of the setup when it comes to storing items using this consigner pricing. The same thing is true of public silos. In no way does any single person have the right to tell someone not to touch anything in a silo that is completely open to the public, but it is an assumed courtesy. If you didn't put it there, don't take it out.

What I have seen in the past is if a person has put items in bulk on consigners, they will usually make some sort of announcement in the Marketplace to let people know they are available for purchase. This also applies when asking that they not be touched if that's the case.

What I would suggest is that you seek out the person who bought the items, but not buy accusing them of stealing. It's quite possible that someone truly just didn't know and saw the items as a great bargain.

Always give the benefit of doubt, you'll get a better response from people that way.

Best of luck to you in your search!
    Carinde "Demigoddess" Ryder
    Citizen of Order, Axe & Anvil Guild

A consigner is someone who trades stuff for you for a fee. Thats what I understand is his function.

Therefore, a consigner is NOT a guildhouse and it is NOT a vault. To use it as a pseudo-guildhouse or pseudo-house (to exchange stuff with other people) or as a pseudo-vault (to increase your vault space) is not in accordance with its function.

Game mechanics permit this, but I personally think it is not intended that way. Though I wouldn't go so far as to call that a cheat for I believe that most people who use consigners that way do not share my more narrow view on the function of consigners. Moreover, by using them this way they do not gain an unfair advantage over other players.

I think it is probable that a player who is not familiar with the unorthodox use made of consigners mistook the 1c mithril bars for a real bargain. In other words, he might have thought that the consignment was 'for real'.

So I hope that this will be resolved quickly and without any remaining bad feelings.
    snickel wigglsniff (retired) Twilight Crusaders on Unity
    poggle wigglsniff (gnomish crafter and mage) semi-retired on Order
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    A gnomish house should not just sit there, it should definitely DO something!

Of course they gain a very unfair advantage.

They are able to transport huge amounts of ressources very easy and can do this ressources much faster than honest people who travel all the way to their silo by themselfes.
    The hones people also pay more money for porting and so.

In fact, they don't need silos anymore, they do all over their vault. They can put whatever ressources they want into their vault and can access this ressources from everywhere all over istaria in no-time.
    Honest people need many silos to do so and if they need some ressources far away from their silos, they need to travel with disk and pay money again...

I think that are some very unfair advantages.
    If you want to make money with construction work, you gain really unfair advantages in abusing consigners this way.

This is why I would buy every ressources I find in public consigners for 1c. Maybe even deleting them, if I wasn't too lazy to check them all.

Just because nearly everybody does something doesn't make it right. *shrugs*

I think it is probable that a player who is not familiar with the unorthodox use made of consigners mistook the 1c mithril bars for a real bargain. In other words, he might have thought that the consignment was 'for real'
    Yeah, me too, if I'd look at 35k bars at 1c and then I'd summon 10 friends to take them away before I am caught, then I'd label myself newbie

Ah those new players...

sorry to say but Garfonso is right, using consigners for crafting/vault filling purposes is clearly exploiting and abusing the game mechanics as far as I know things in stores are there to be sold,
    Ishar Xhaan => Ishar_Wind Xhaan => Imrryr Xhaan Lunus Destroyer
    and his biped slave KalTorak XhaanSlave Ice Disciple
    == Ancient Order Of Istarian Knights ==

Quote Originally Posted by Ishar Xhaan
    sorry to say but Garfonso is right, using consigners for crafting/vault filling purposes is clearly exploiting and abusing the game mechanics as far as I know things in stores are there to be sold,
    The unwritten rule among veteren players aside, I also agree with Garfonso.
    Folks complain about adventurers perching safely out of harm's way to leech xp at the P-flies. How is the connie thing any different?
    Kwinn
    Mortal Danger is an effective antidote for fixed ideas... Erwin Rommel

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Dog: The other white meat

Order Server

Heavily multiclassed Human Hunter, 'overpowered' to the nth degree of beejeezusness and damned proud of it. Nerf me, go ahead make my day

It's not all as black and white as it's being put here.

When items are put on a consigner then it will take a certain amount of time before they will drop into the vault while when you port them to the silo's you have direct access of your resources, so to call this an exploit, I don't think I would want to go that far.

I think it's really bad manners to go and buy resources someone else took alot of time to gather and place on the consigner for 1c.

In my opinion doing this is nothing more then plain theft. Sure you can not agree with a way someone play but what are we talking about people!!!

Is this player hurting you by doing this?

Get a grip of yourself, "A bargain?"

This is just a case of making excuses to be able to pull these already hard enough resources of some consigner. They aren't yours and they do not belong to you nomatter what excuse you give to it.
    We all know that when a player places items on a consigner which normally would be sold way more expensive at large quantity that they aren't really for sale.

I also think that when a veteran player would openly admit on these forums to behaviour like taking resources from other players like this that they whould be ashamed of them selves and I'm really dissapointed to hear this from some of them that I never would have heard this of:-(

It's not theft.. it's paying the wanted price.

Of course the player is hurting me buy doing this... he is just taking the easy way abusing the consigner, where I won't do that, because I don't really like abusing game mechanics and have to do all the proting and let my client die every few hours and so on...

This agreement to not buy things that are way to cheap only holds for the people who agreed to it. I never agreed to anything like that and never will. If you want to abuse a consigner, abuse a private one. It's that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso
    If you want to abuse a consigner, abuse a private one. It's that simple.
    such a simple solution .... and a good one

I was talking about purpousfully taking the resources from a consigner because you think they are abusing the consigner.

Who are you to tell them they are abusing the consigner?

They are just using options given by the devs and sure you will reply to this that you also are doing this. The main difference is that your purpouse is based on grief because you can't stand it that these players, who are putting in all these hours a game time, are using a public consigner in a way you don't like.

Once again, who are you to judge them to tell them how to play the game?

If you don't want to play the game like they do it then don't do it.

If they want to play the game like they are doing it, are they hurting you by doing it this way?

I think the only thing that is going on is that you can't resist yourself from buying these cheap items that you so easily can buy that otherwise would take you hours and hours to gather and now only several minutes to take from such consigner.

Playing like this is only griefiously and I honestly can't stand how you would want to ruin someone elses game play by doing something like this.

Once again, who are you to judge them to tell them how to play the game?
    The same excuse the perchers use ... as well as others who used "glitches" to advance skills and abilities. I am sure they were not accosted by you when they did this ... right ?

One mans cheating is anothers abuse of game mechanics. /shrugs

Thread Information