Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unity Transfer

Default Unity Transfer

I was rereading the announcement and saw this :

Unitas Shard Database Testing To Begin

We have received the Unity Shard dBase from Digital Brothers, along with many other files and dBases, in order to start our testing to determine if it will be practical to transfer the Unity shard to U.S. operations. Assuming we are able to complete this evaluation and related processes, we are looking to start Unitas Shard operations in January 2007

...and if it is determined to not be practical?? What then?
    'The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, ..., the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars' - Kerouac

You go the same way as Blight I would imagine
    OK the old sig was too long , this one is better.

It boggles my mind that they would dump Blight before even deciding if they could move Unity to it. Am I reading that wrong?

Nope sorry to say but from what I can gather / is the same as you can thats the plan. One would think that if they have another extra server to play around with Unity's code before its fully working they would and leave Blight alone as a backup plan to copy Unity members to ?

Quote Originally Posted by MarshDog
    You go the same way as Blight I would imagine
    And for what reasons? I think you want that unity also gets nuked...

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

I don't I would love to go to the new unity server over chaos or order that way we can feel like team members making a new server together, its like moving into someones house after you marry them , its just not your house its theirs and you just living there
    and is it not obvious if "they" don't care about blight to perserve them why should "they" care about Unity ?

*hugsTako* he did not say that.

and Marsh: again I understand.

(*whispers* But: isn`t it good to get married, and have a home- anyway?)

Sometimes hard decisions have to be made that affect a lot of players and no matter what happens, someone will be made unhappy by it.

Back with the server merge after AE went bankrupt, many players were horrified at having all the roleplaying/non-RP shards combined into 2 new worlds. Everyone lost their plots and had a 1 in 6? chance that they would be able to regain their original plot(s) in the new world. It was tough--some players left without seeing how things would wind up, some left after the merge due to performance issues--but the players that love the game stayed and had hope enough to see things through.

I hope you don't get too discouraged and that the transfer process goes smoothly for you. I can say that EI doesn't casually discard anyone and that behind the scenes, a great deal of effort must be occuring to try and save the blight playerbase in some fashion.

Good luck and I hope things work out!

Default If they didn't care

Quote Originally Posted by MarshDog
    I don't I would love to go to the new unity server over chaos or order that way we can feel like team members making a new server together, its like moving into someones house after you marry them , its just not your house its theirs and you just living there
    and is it not obvious if "they" don't care about blight to perserve them why should "they" care about Unity ?

Why would they even bother posting about it and letting folks know?

At least they care enough for unity to let blight die in it's favor... if that is not caring, what can be caring?

Ok, seriously: I think that they care a lot for unity, as they care for blight... they just don't have the money to support 4 shards.

I have no proofs for that, but I like to believe it... you don't have proofs, too. So let's wait and see, how much they care for you, when they try to transfer your characters to another server (or recreate them, which basically is the same anyway).
    I wanna be ancient. Why is there no ARoP for Saris?

Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso
    At least they care enough for unity to let blight die in it's favor... if that is not caring, what can be caring?
    Yeah! because me for what is the trouble and the few players involved, I would have dumped their character (as per the merger dump process) to the least populated server, give them a plot token and full Norvian and let them settle down. Not the perfect scenario, but at least I would have made good use of the server already in place and with deficient population (I stand with the few items on connies, low amount people in channles & the few sole you cross while travelling).

I know I'm not gonna make many friend from Europe, but the server in EU was a mistake from day one ( I stand on the record for the patch not deployed, longer maintenance, and lack of local support).
    Nalrach, Healer & Guardian, Member of the "Iron Circle" guild
    Ramti, Friendly draggy trying to wake-up from long nap.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalrach

I know I'm not gonna make many friend from Europe, but the server in EU was a mistake from day one ( I stand on the record for the patch not deployed, longer maintenance, and lack of local support).
    A mistake from the previous owners, but not from the players.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Quote Originally Posted by Takora Drakan
    A mistake from the previous owners, but not from the players.
    Not quite true .... EU players *edited*and previous owner not really knowing what he was up to, decided to bend over and place a server there. Any network administrator would warn the direction about the difficulty & issues when you want to synchronise various sites, especially if they not controled by the original owner.

It was a political decision, forced by the local community.

Not to speculate on who's fault, but personnally I'm surprised it stayed up that long, with all the complainning that was getting posted on regular business.

But again they taking another political decision by robbing the dev server hardware to facilitate a local tranfer of remote data.

Every group that does developpement will tell you they need a test\staging area to test their apps with real time scenarios. That to count on the programmer test box to do all the proofing is a mistake.

But as the state of the game as is .. I guess from day to day, we have to be happy with what we have.
    Last edited by Peaches; December 28th, 2006 at 02:43 AM.
    Nalrach, Healer & Guardian, Member of the "Iron Circle" guild
    Ramti, Friendly draggy trying to wake-up from long nap.

Not quite true .... EU players whine *edited* and previous owner not really knowing what he was up to, decided to bend over and place a server there. Any network administrator would warn the direction about the difficulty & issues when you want to synchronise various sites, especially if they not controled by the original owner.

It was a political decision, forced by the local community.

Not to speculate on who's fault, but personnally I'm surprised it stayed up that long, with all the complainning that was getting posted on regular business.

But again they taking another political decision by robbing the dev server hardware to facilitate a local tranfer of remote data.

Every group that does developpement will tell you they need a test\staging area to test their apps with real time scenarios. That to count on the programmer test box to do all the proofing is a mistake.

But as the state of the game as is .. I guess from day to day, we have to be happy with what we have.
    Unity and EU players have more suffered than Chaos, Order and Blight together. The NA players even whine when the server is 3 hours offline and we didn't even ask as the server was more than 10 hours offline. So who is whining and *edited* now?

And in this 3 years the Eu players have payed more than NA players for non existant support, wm and other crap. When you got a random event from a wm, we could just sit there and look at the screens that some posted. When we wined and bitched we where just todl to shut up, and for sure when Unity was nuked instead of blight, noone here would give a fart about it.
    Last edited by Peaches; December 31st, 2006 at 10:36 AM.

Default ok this is way off the original but hey this is getting out of hand anyhow

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM

well married is a good thing but when people get married they usually buy a house together so its both of theirs and not his or her house the other moved into that way it feels a sameness

I don't much agree with Takora usually ( even have him on ignore I think ), but there he is true, we had WORST issues on Unity servers, 5 hours for a mintenance was a speed record for us, many events we missed, the merge was horrible, every time we tried to get help from US owners our messages were banned from the boards, most US players would say go away we dont care and such ...
    Now all of this crap is over, no more GN, no more Tulga , so I hope our little community will stay united, the arguments Euro/NA players are behind us I hope, and I am sure any blighter that'd come to Unitas will be helped.
    I wont pronounce myself about how pixel/EII will do BUT at least they seem to have common sense in business, remember it is all about making money after all.
    Ishar Xhaan => Ishar_Wind Xhaan => Imrryr Xhaan Lunus Destroyer
    and his biped slave KalTorak XhaanSlave Ice Disciple
    == Ancient Order Of Istarian Knights ==

Default ok this is way off the original but hey this is getting out of hand anyhow

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM

well married is a good thing but when people get married they usually buy a house together so its both of theirs and not his or her house the other moved into that way it feels a sameness

Yeah! because me for what is the trouble and the few players involved, I would have dumped their character (as per the merger dump process) to the least populated server, give them a plot token and full Norvian and let them settle down. Not the perfect scenario, but at least I would have made good use of the server already in place and with deficient population (I stand with the few items on connies, low amount people in channles & the few sole you cross while travelling).
    I don't know if they get novians and so... but isn't that roughly what they want to do with the population of blight?
    Maybe because they thought that blight would be the least populated server...

At least that is how I understood their posting.

I don't know who is at fault for unity in the first place (I always was told it was AE...). But ever since I joined Unity, which is a bit over 2 years, now, the big majority of the EU players would have been happy to migrate as a whole server to a NA shard...

Maybe even some will come back, when they hear that GN has nothing to do with Unity, anymore..
    Last edited by Garfonso; December 27th, 2006 at 09:58 PM.
    I wanna be ancient. Why is there no ARoP for Saris?

Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso
    I don't know if they get novians and so... but isn't that roughly what they want to do with the population of blight?
    Maybe because they thought that blight would be the least populated server...

At least that is how I understood their posting.

I'm not sure population is the issue for them in choosing Blight. Theoretically, Unity should be at the same release as Order and Chaos but Blight had changes that weren't going to be pushed to the other servers in the foreseeable future. They probably were thinking about just having to deal with a single version.

Quote Originally Posted by Takora Drakan
    Unity and EU players have more suffered than Chaos, Order and Blight together. The NA players even whine when the server is 3 hours offline and we didn't even ask as the server was more than 10 hours offline. So who is whining and bitching now?

And in this 3 years the Eu players have payed more than NA players for non existant support, wm and other crap. When you got a random event from a wm, we could just sit there and look at the screens that some posted. When we wined and bitched we where just todl to shut up, and for sure when Unity was nuked instead of blight, noone here would give a fart about it.
    Yup, you're so right.
    Whining and *edited*, pfrrt.

Originally Posted by Nalrach
    Not quite true .... EU players *edited*and previous owner not really knowing what he was up to, decided to bend over and place a server there.

What insulting *edited*! But hé if it makes you feel good

Wasn't it at Unity players celebrated a 1000 days in play first? When exactly was that *edited*thing?

http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ight=1000+days
    Last edited by Peaches; December 28th, 2006 at 02:42 AM.

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Thread Information