Thread: Block/Parry

Mutrock

Default Block/Parry

I was thinking, block and pary both only applies to the currently engaged target, but is it realistic these two abilitiesare only effective versus one target? Someone who has spend all his life training the usage of the shield/weapon could in reality block/parry more incomming attacks from multiple opponents. The more incomming attacks, the more difficult it would be to block all incomming attacks of course...and it would only be possible to block up to a certain number of incomming attacks.

So my suggestion is tochangethe parry and block abilities, into adapt/expert/master/grandmaster(?)/epic(?) block or parry. IMHOmy suggestion is more realistic than the current parry/block abilities. Haven't thought much of the levels you'd get these but I do know grandmaster won't be obtained before level 100, it should be far above the 100, like 150 or even higher. I'm not even mentioning epic, hehe...should be something extremely high like level 300 or 500or something like that(I know it's not possible yet but perhaps in the far future it will be). And about the amount of different incomming attacks from different targets you can block, well...dunno what's realistic, but adepts should be about 1, expert around 3, master 5, and grandmaster up to 10, and epic unlimited(yes I know it sounds ridiculous, but then again it's not called epic for nothing[:)])

Well, what do you people think of this? Any better suggestions? Flame away! [:)] Would be nice if a Dev could comment if parry/block is gonna stay the same (which would be a shame IMO) or that it will be changed or at least looked at in the future.[A]

(Didn't do a search so dunno if someone already mentioned changes in parry/block abilities)

The Main Hall of Khazad-dum, fighting for freedom

Default Re: Block/Parry

Wouldnt that make evasion pretty underpowered considered classes with high evasion got bad armor but classes with especially block often has very good armor?
    "Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!!"

Fhrain Fireheart
    Dwarven Berserker at Night, Paladin in the Day
    --Pain is Temporary, Glory is Eternal--

Mutrock

I don't know... With my suggestion I didn't mean you'd get expert block at lets say 20 or so, but at perhaps level 50 and master 100. Still the amount of incomming attacks you can block is still limited to that 5 when you get the master block ability, whilst evasion is unlimited. If it proves to be overpowered, then maybe the chance to block a second target should be a block with a penalty added to it, and the third target with an even greater penalty...to cut it short, the more opponents the smaller the chance you will block let's say the 3rd incomming attack. That should make it less powerfulandkeep it realistic. That should put it on par with evasion I think...but then again, I might be terribly mistaking.

Good you mentioned that Fhrain, I didn't keep in mind that balance is important as well...was just thinking of making it realistic [*-)]

Edit: Whoops, forgot some words in my post. Restructured some bad sentences, lol...need english lessons again haha[;)]

hehe, realism and balance in a game doesnt work well m8[:P] (wanna start another thread about why a small dryad berserker does more damage than a equally lved king size dragon?[;)])

I like the idea however...needs to be reworked somehow..but thats for the devs to do[:D]

Fhrain Fireheart

Mutrock

bump![:P]

We'll probably consider changes to block/parry/dodge (and additions, like improved versions that can handle additional attackers or the like) when we get back to the school redesign, which I wouldn't expect to be this year.

Ah yes..probably a wise descicion to wait, you wouldnt wanna upset a large part of the ppl ingame with big changes to classes when you dont have the largest player count. But good to know your considering at least[:)]

Fhrain Fireheart

In thinking about it you should be able to block one target and parry another target at the same time and perhaps the size of the shield should allow you to block more than 1 attacker at a time.

Saddens me to see class revision wont be looked at this year :(
    Zodias of Order
    Sprit Disciple Quilt, Miner

Monk Issue List

Mutrock

Quote Originally Posted by Smeglor
    We'll probably consider changes to block/parry/dodge (and additions, like improved versions that can handle additional attackers or the like) when we get back to the school redesign, which I wouldn't expect to be this year.
    Thanks for the information, this was all I wanted to know [:)]

Realisticly you shouldnt be able to parry more than the engaged mob. You use a weapon to parry and therfore since you weild one weapon you can only parry one mob. Block is a different story i agree that u probably should be able to block multiple mobs, fighting one mob and deflecting a blow from another would be possible withyour shield.
    50 Chaos Warrior on Chaos

Now, here is a consideration...

When fighting multiple mobs, you can activate a defensive mode that slows down the rate at which you attack, but allows you to block/parry more enemies...

As for parrying multiple enemies, give me two swords and I will parry all bloody day [:D]
    Death is the ultimate dilemma and integral to the beliefs and behavior of every culture. Life is bore on the corpses of the dead. Without death, there would be no motivation to do anything. The only emotion would be existing. Life would be pestilent and agonizing.

Ssilmath Torshak
    Paladin of Kass, Master Armorsmith

Quote Originally Posted by Ssilmath
    Now, here is a consideration...

When fighting multiple mobs, you can activate a defensive mode that slows down the rate at which you attack, but allows you to block/parry more enemies...

As for parrying multiple enemies, give me two swords and I will parry all bloody day [img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]
    hehehe[:D]

Fhrain Fireheart

Jeshimon

Quote Originally Posted by Flem

Realisticly you shouldnt be able to parry more than the engaged mob. You use a weapon to parry and therfore since you weild one weapon you can only parry one mob. Block is a different story i agree that u probably should be able to block multiple mobs, fighting one mob and deflecting a blow from another would be possible withyour shield.
    Seems to me you could parry one attack with your weapon and block another with your shield. It the attacks were at the exact moment from the same direction, possibly more than one.

Quote Originally Posted by Fhrain
    Wouldnt that make evasion pretty underpowered considered classes with high evasion got bad armor but classes with especially block often has very good armor?
    we can evade wow
    Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketsup
    Ssafire-lvl 100 Cleric, 100 Bloodmage, 100 Mage, 100 Druid, 90 Monk, Saris
    Safiretalon-lvl 66 dragon adventurer, lvl 32 dragon crafter, lvl 14 dragon lairshaper.
    Guild: Dark Defenders
    Horizons player since: December 21st 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Smeglor
    Not to be argumentative; I honestly can not think of any reason as to why improved dodge, which used to claim itworks vs multiple foes,was turned into a virtually useless ability. Would you mind enlightening me? Pure Monks were far from overpowered before and directly due to that change they are nowthe weakest of all monk classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ssilmath
    Good idea. This would open up a new way to tank with out giveing too much power to melee.

Thread Information