Thread: Windows Vista and Horizons

Default Windows Vista and Horizons

I have searched the forums and found people with my problem, but with much older release candidates of Vista, as far as I can tell. I have a brand new system and was given no choice but to use Vista as the OS, so now I'm paying the price The patcher works fine, but the Horizons.exe stops working immediately, every time. Is it possible that there's a config file that is failing to get stored and it can't read it? The most recent attempt called it an APPCRASH in the ntdll.dll, should I look for an older version of that dll? It doesn't seem likely that I need to run in XP compatibility mode since Imayo and others have said it works fine in Vista...

Any advice would be appreciated.

Grundle Bouldershoulder

Senkeleron got it to work on my new pc after the same problem...I'll ask him what he did and get him to tell you this evening. I'm pretty sure it was just making the log in website a trusted site.
    Eileen Mavourneen, Fury of Feladan, Remembers Ilvoldi Evanar

Yes, we have it running here on Vista.

Once we got to the stage you are at, where the .exe would crash each time, what I did was double click on the Trusted Sites checkmark on the bottom of the browser. Then under the Sites button add the Horizons url to the list (Don't put the http:/ part, just the url). Then I rebooted and everything worked after that.

Default Follow-up

What exactly is the URL I need to make trusted, I already made the www.istaria.com site trusted... It still patches fine but fails to get past the initialization phase of Horizons.exe

Grundle Bouldershoulder

Try horizons.istaria.com that is what we used here.

I have added that URL, several other permutations, and rebooted, and it still won't work. The only difference is that I now get TWO crash boxes each time I run Horizons.exe, not just one Any other hints? If not, any idea how I can install a dual boot of my old OS for programs like HZ and HD2 that won't allow me to run them in Vista?

Grundle

Well, in the effort to see what we did right we inadvertantly messed it up and haven't managed to fix it back yet. So, if we figure anything out again, we'll tell you. Such is the way of things...
    Eileen Mavourneen, Fury of Feladan, Remembers Ilvoldi Evanar

This worked for me. I just cant use the dot net to patch, not sure if it will work if no patch is needed, ill keep you posted as soon as i find out.

Quote Originally Posted by diabolis
    This worked for me. I just cant use the dot net to patch, not sure if it will work if no patch is needed, ill keep you posted as soon as i find out.
    I could download patch, but couldnt install it.

I got it to patch by turning off UAC (user account control), but after it goes thru the patching process, I get "Horizons.exe has stopped working".

Anyone else experienced this? Found the solution?

Default Anyone got it working??

I was able to install horizons, but I can't get it to patch or login.

Default got it to patch.

I was able to get it to patch.
    Had to add horizons.istaria.com to trusted sites,
    then drop security settings for trusted sites to low.
    thus it allowed me to install all the necessary activex to patch.

Haven't figured out the horizons.exe crashing though. anyone else??

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck? I've gotten it to work twice, but not consistently.

Blog Entries

Ya'll who are having trouble might want to try the old fashion way of getting into Horizons.
    I never use the website to launch, ever. I find it rather annoying and kinda slow. The game comes with a stand alone launcher that doesn't require the website. Its hidden over in the folders:

C:\Program Files\Tulga Games\Horizons - is the Folder you need to go too

Within here is the stand alone launcher Its called:

HorizonsLauncher.exe - Has a little flag icon.

What I did was deleted the icon on my desktop. Shortcutted that file, took the shortcut over on my desktop. Renamed it. And then for the pretty factor, I did this:

Right click on the icon
    Properties
    Change Icon button
    Browse
    Went under the folder of the game
    selected the Horizon's icon
    Hit Ok twice
    - (first on the change icon and then on properties)

Hopefully this may help you new Window Users having all your crazy website issues. If not, let me know and there may be another thing you can do.

thanks for the suggestion Neva, but I've tried the stand alone launcher with the same results.

I got it to work a couple of times over the weekend, however horizons.exe is backing to crashing left and right.

TelShyia

Welli have tried several things, even to the point of actually going in and trusting the assemblies in .Net 1.1 wizards. every compat mode, even flattened and reloaded several versions of Vista, from home, basic, business, ultimate, AND enterprise. all with the same results (btw did all the trusted stuff, etc, loweer settings etc.) to now avail. The funny thing was, one time last week, ithought i had it, by doing a number of combinations, and got it to work 15-20 times. Then i shut box off, turned it back on several hrs l8r, and POOF nothing worked again ever. When I read up on UAC, and the changes on Vista vs. XP i read that there will probably need to be some low level changes to the exe itself to allow it to run in Vista consistently. Am going to pass my findings on to the Devs via the ticketing process.
    as of this writing however, it just aint working . Even installed Virtual PC 2007 and put xpsp2 on it, and it fails there too. Havent tried the dual boot, tho. just ran out of time
    Telshyia
    Ancient Chaos Dragon 100/100/100
    Expert Liarshaper/Crafter

Thread Information