Thread: Blargh.

Default Blargh.

Hi, I'm new. I just found out about this game a few days ago (a game with dragons as a playable race? WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED?!), and I liked it...the one time I got it to run, that is.

Y'see, I'm running Windows Vista, and as I'm sure you all know, the game has issues with Vista. I've looked all over the place, I did a search here on the forums for "vista" and read every thread that popped up that had been posted to this year...and I haven't been able to get it to work beyond that one time. I'm seriously condiering re-installing my WinXP into a dual-boot setup, but I'd *really* rather not, as I'm tight on space as is.

Is there any possible solution to the Vista-compatibility issue that I may have missed?
    The cake is a lie!

Default Re: Blargh.

as best as anyone can tell, Vista dislikes the various methods of starting up HZ enough that the firs-run ain't gonna happen under vista. If you have access to a computer with XP on it to create your character and run the game once, there are theoretically solutions that will allow vista to runt eh game via the standalone launcher. my advice: find a copy of IE6, get it working on vista, and set it to trust the istaria.com websites (www.istaria.com; Horizons.istaria.com; community.istaria.com)

but i have zero experience with vista, and intend to keep that way as long as possible. (i could also be completely misunderstanding the nature of the problem, i believe the issue was with getting the web launcher to work, which is required any time you make a character)

From what I've read, that was some people's problem; the ActiveX control that allows the website to run a program on your computer.

That's not the problem I'm having. In fact, the one time I got the game to work, it was started by the website. Both the website and the stand-alone launcher first run the patcher, and once the patcher makes sure the game is up-to-date, then *it* will invoke Horizons.exe -- and that's when it crashes, as soon as Horizons.exe starts, it dies.

Thanks anyway.
    The cake is a lie!

Huh. My post seems to have disappeared. Let's try again.

I don't think anyone has tried running HZ using wine and vista. I know HZ runs on wine for capable hardware configurations on Linux. (set wine to behave like win98) I don't know how it behaves on Vista. Give it a shot! There are win32 builds of wine.

Huh...now there's a thought. I didn't know Wine was available for Windows...
    The cake is a lie!

It might seem a bit simple but have you checked that your firewall/security software is not blocking acces to the server? With winXP, everytime that an update occurred, my first attempt at logging in was blocked at the same point as you are experiencing. My security software saw the updated programme as a new one and had to be reset to permit access.

No, there's an exception set for Horizons.exe, and besides, it's crashing before it even gets a chance to *try* to connect to the server. It doesn't even get the chance to display anything; the patcher says "program started succesfully!" or whatever, then the error box appears behind the patcher.
    The cake is a lie!

'Nother update.

Well, I just wiped out my main hard drive and re-installed Windows Vista (for other reasons; it was getting rather flaky), and I decided to give Horizons one more shot.

I installed the game, logged into the web site, ran the patcher from there, and...whaddaya know, it started right up.

I don't have a clue what's causing it to work now when it wouldn't before, but I'm not complaining. And since I've only got through August 20th on my free trial and don't have the money to renew it, I'm aiming to leave the game running as long as possible. I didn't even close it to come here and report on my luck, I just Alt-Tabbed out of the window.

So, who all's on Order shard?
    The cake is a lie!

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Tagath and I are on Order Shard.

Welcome to Istaria.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Lightbulb Re: Blargh.

Myself and the battered remnants of Erus Ex Istaria still lurk about. Say hello to Starlight when you get a chance.

As to Vista, there's a thread over 'yonder that's been kicking this about....

http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=16150

]:=8)
    Last edited by Hasai; August 20th, 2007 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Added info. Boy, are you nosy.
    Regards;
    --------->Hasai

"I feel like a fugitive from the Law of Averages."

Quote Originally Posted by Hasai View Post
    Myself and the battered remnants of Erus Ex Istaria still lurk about. Say hello to Starlight when you get a chance.

As to Vista, there's a thread over 'yonder that's been kicking this about....

http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=16150

]:=8)
    Already been to that thread. In fact, I posted there before I posted here. Couldn't get Horizons working to save my life before, then (for reasons other than Horizons) I formatted my C: drive, reinstalled Vista, updated everything that needed updating, re-installed Horizons, and it's worked just fine ever since.
    The cake is a lie!

Thread Information